FIFA World Cup 2014 Brazil General Discussion

Maeriberii Haan

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know s*** has hit the fan when USA get through to the knockout rounds and England were lucky to get a single point. Damn.

Time has changed.

Brazil will be the place of the revolution in football hierarchy!

The once-weak nations will topple the strong!

From here on, the strong shall lose their power
and the weak will unify the world!

....or something to that effect.

Time has changed.

Brazil will be the place of the revolution in football hierarchy!

The once-weak nations will topple the strong!

From here on, the strong shall lose their power
and the weak will unify the world!

....or something to that effect.

You could be right. I've been surprised by a lot of teams at this World Cup and just somewhere within me I have a feeling a "smaller" nation football wise may do it. After all, it's about how you play on the day and I've seen Chile, Costa Rica, USA kick some arse against "bigger" teams! I'll root for the underdog!

Anyway; predictions for how the second round will look now everyone's played twice;

Brazil vs Chile

Holland vs Mexico (sucks for one of my sweeps team =/)

Colombia vs Uruguay

Costa Rica vs Ivory Coast Greece

France vs Nigeria

Argentina vs Switzerland

Germany vs Algeria

Belgium vs USA (yeah, still backing you to make it with Ghana and Portugal knackering each other up. This is where I stop supporting you though as Belgium are my other sweeps team)

Now who'd have looked at the groups and predicted THAT to be the second round?

Well I called most of it exactly. Now looking at that you're probably looking at quarters of:

Brazil vs Colombia (all the South Americans knocking each other out seems to be the others only chance atm)

France vs Germany (neither should have a problem here and do the business, although France have come acropper before)

Holland vs Costa Rica (will Holland self-destruct this year against Mexico or the surprise package?)

Argentina vs Belgium (come on Belgium; I've got £100 riding on you and Mexico!)

All looking rather close I'd say as neither Brazil or Argentine have hit top gear yet.

As long as Argentina plays like Bujin pre-Hrume with Messi as their Yamato, they won't go anywhere.

Actually that's a rather clever comparison.

I guess that would make Agüero, Di María and Higuaín the Arasuda, Mikazuchi and Hirume of the team.

Ridiculous game.

We didn't deserve it by a long shot. We didn't have midfield, Neymar was in a bad day, and our coach made piss poor substitutions. We only passed because Chile's physical condition was critically bad.

Next round we should lose. A team playing like this doesn't deserve to win the World Cup.

I will reiterate my belief that Brazil will lose in the quarter-finals or at best the semis. No way a team playing like this will win the World Cup. Had Chile been more fortunate with Pinilla's shot and Jara's penalty we could have been watching riots in the crowd and Neymar actually drowning in his own tears. Seriously gutted for Jara, it was an inch off being a perfect penalty.

And that Aranguez (or however you spell it) penalty, I could watch it for hours. Absolutely flawless.

But man, Brazil was getting quite a few calls going their way.

This game we didn't have any referee decision that favored us. One could argue Hulk did not, in fact, touched the ball with his arm.

We won fairly in terms of rules. We shouldn't have won though, because our performance was terrible.

But Rod, you're cheering for Brazil.

And I'm a neutral observer.

That makes my view on ref decisions infinitely more credible than yours 8D

I thought I made it clear that I acknowledge our bad football and didn't want Brazil to win this match. =D

Observation about the refs came with not giving a pretty clear penalty in the box midway through the match, and then giving a penalty on the other side like seconds later on something trivial.

I wasn't impressed with the refs either way.

Both sides had more than a few flops that got penalties called <- Main reason I hardly pay any attention to soccer at all.

Several yellow cards felt unnecessary, too, for both sides.

I've yet to figure out how a ball can get kicked directly into your hand and you can get yellow carded for it.

I will reiterate my belief that Brazil will lose in the quarter-finals or at best the semis. No way a team playing like this will win the World Cup. Had Chile been more fortunate with Pinilla's shot and Jara's penalty we could have been watching riots in the crowd and Neymar actually drowning in his own tears. Seriously gutted for Jara, it was an inch off being a perfect penalty.

And that Aranguez (or however you spell it) penalty, I could watch it for hours. Absolutely flawless.

That's what you get from someone who even Forest got rid of :P

(I'm a Derby County supporter) And yeah given the situation it was a hell of one.

The ref calling it, given that he had 2 players between him and Hulk at the time. Unless he has some very good x-ray vision technology installed in his retinas there's no way he actually saw it.

Linesman gave the decision and Webb went with him. Nothing wrong with that.

Too bad for Chile. Brazil will probably get trashed sooner than later if it keeps playing like that.

On another note..., holy f*** James, that was an amazing goal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6lKl4xVtPg

(Fair play to this guy for having his phone out at the right time.)

Second goal was bloody good too.

Also gotta love the Colombian's celebration.

In other news: Pele - the world's politest and most mild-mannered man, and also some footballer in his day to boot - has come out and backed Fifa in condemning Suarez. So they've gotta be right to ban him for that long if even Pele thinks he deserved it. Right?

Archived