FIFA World Cup 2014 Brazil General Discussion

Maeriberii Haan

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DAT inability to use their technology to show their referees that Rafa did not do anything worth that huge of a penalty. This is bull.....

I accept the first goal against Mexico though, since Mexico did stop playing near the opposite net and they really did screw up on leaving such a direct space straight to us..... 

DAT inability to use their technology to show their referees that Rafa did not do anything worth that huge of a penalty. This is bull.....

I accept the first goal against Mexico though, since Mexico did stop playing near the opposite net and they really did screw up on leaving such a direct space straight to us..... 

I feel your pain Sleepy...

... I had Mexico in a £100 pot sweeps to win the tournament, and they goaded me so. Saw the score at 85 mins and thought with Costa Rica or Greece in the next round... might have a chance of the money. Then it was snatched away. :(

Still... come on you Belgians! You're my last hope of money.

Also being a Brit with the underdog spirit and all that it is decidedly annoying to see two big teams be shit for 90 minutes then salvage themselves against the plucky smaller teams at the last and still win, twice in two days.<_<

Another terrific game in a terrific tournament.

Was willing Algeria on til the end. Germany looked so vulnerable at the back and Neuer had to keep bailing Mertzsacker out. Unless they make changes, France should do them.

Semi Finals I want to see based on performances so far: Colombia vs France, Holland vs Belgium

This is more hope that expectation. It will almost certainly be: Brazil vs Germany, Holland vs Argentina

Another terrific game in a terrific tournament.

Was willing Algeria on til the end. Germany looked so vulnerable at the back and Neuer had to keep bailing Mertzsacker out. Unless they make changes, France should do them.

Semi Finals I want to see based on performances so far: Colombia vs France, Holland vs Belgium

This is more hope that expectation. It will almost certainly be: Brazil vs Germany, Holland vs Argentina

Argentina only has 1 player tho.

Belgium should be able to handle them.

Argentina only has 1 player tho.

Belgium should be able to handle them.

Brazil has only one player.

Holland, since thumping Spain, has only got two or three stars really doing it.

But they're proving the difference time and again so far. Having guts and endevour and team spirit and all that is really admirable, but it's no frikkin good if you haven't got any star quality to create/score goals and the opposition have someone who can turn the game on you in seconds.

I know this from England's recent trip to New Zealand in the rugby. Oh yes we matched them for 70-75 minutes and were really close and spirited and shit. Still lost the series 3-0 though. :(

Problem is, they really dependant on Messi to actually do things, and that's like their biggest weakness since like, years ago. Not to mention Belgium's lineup is damn solid, and they do have stars. Just, having a star player is something. Basing the entire strategy on a single player is something else. Messi's a wonderful player, but he's not THAT good to make him able to carry his team in all situations.

In another news, Argentina sucked balls.

Honestly, this was probably our best match so far (wich isn't saying a lot...).

Belgium will be a tough cookie. It has good team play and its GK is top notch. But if the rest of the attack players actually start playing and helping Messi for once, Argentina should be able to win.

Honestly, this was probably our best match so far (wich isn't saying a lot...).

Belgium will be a tough cookie. It has good team play and its GK is top notch. But if the rest of the attack players actually start playing and helping Messi for once, Argentina should be able to win.

Yeah, watching my Belgium team last night, they were quite inconsistent.

I mean, they created a lot of chances against the USA, but Howard was in fine form and they butchered a few. De Bruyne was hit and miss, so was Hazard, and Fellaini was just awful. At least Lukaku and Merallis came on and turned up at last. The one thing Belgium do have is that they are becoming masters of the suber sub with guys making an impact late in the game, so there is that. Kompany and Vertoghan were pretty immense too.

If Belgium play well and everyone turns up, and Argentine continue being so distinctly average, Belgium can win. But all those last 16 matches were about underdogs like Chile, Mexico, and the US I'll come to, playing the big guns off the park. And the big guns still won anyway.

As for the USA, those last fifteen minutes were the most nailbiting I have ever watched in my life as a (relatively) neutral spectator. The will and determination and endevour was to be saluted. Just lacked that bit of quality in goal I'm afraid. Had Wandolowski buried that chance at the end of normal time and it had been wrongly flagged offside though... my word it would have been chaos :blink:

Still hoping for semi finals of Colombia vs France and Holland vs Belgium, as they all deserve it more and I don't wanna see the same old faces at the end. Think Costa Rica beating Holland is a bit too much of an ask.

To be honest, I just want to see a new Cup winner, so I'm really rooting for all the underdoge teams and Holland/Belgium. Though Germany'll break through at least semifinals, as always. Also, is it only me, or do Tim Howard and the Algerian GK looks suspiciously similar?

They're clones. Clearly.

I'm sad that there are no games today and tomorrow :c

Archived