Welcoming/Tutoring Project

Aix

Aix, to be frank, I don't think this method of tutoring will work well. This approach could be very intimidating to the new members, even if everyone is civil during the entire thing.

But, that aside, I'm thinking that setting something like this: https://www.smogon.com/mentorship/ would be quite effective if we could make it known enough to the newer members. New users that actually wants to learn more about the TCG and card creation would be attracted to it, and the entire thing could be very chill, yet effective.

Also, if said new member decided that he doesn't need that, he'd probably dismiss the current Mentoring program too, and they either actually know enough of the game, or just having too big of an ego (this'll need different approach).

And no, I'm not saying that we need to stop the current method. We haven't even seen the result of it.

@Ain: Adopting some of the stuff from Smogon's mentorship project seems like a good idea, in the event this doesn't pan out well.

So far, we've already gave two new members some help using the method we have now (PM them with some general feedback); just that we need to hear how the new members in question respond to it.

That being said, some of them may think we're hating on their cards [we're not] and just ignore this thing in its entirety (which is option 2). Of course, we can't make tutoring mandatory for new members because they'll just quit YCM and that's counterproductive to what this was designed for.

ima newbie

What would you like help on in terms of card making?

If you elaborate on what you need assistance with, we'll be able to help.

I invited some newcomers to check  out this thread. Also, I hope you could accept me in this project...

I've never seen you besides occasionally in the last few days/weeks, so unless someone can vouch for you, I don't know of your cardmaking and design abilities.

I've never seen you besides occasionally in the last few days/weeks, so unless someone can vouch for you, I don't know of your cardmaking and design abilities.

Well, I'm here since 2010 =.=

Besides you can check my cards, most of them are linked in my signature ;) 

Time on the site =/= quality

And looking at your singles, your senses of design and flavor both seem to be off. You design cards that are almost 100% superior copies of existing cards that aren't even terrible, you use nonsensical effects that are luck based and degenerate, and you completely ignored flavor with Dragon Guardian.

I would love to be a mentor...if I'm eligible. Not sure if my card making is good enough to constitute such a thing, but I would hope that I've proven that I can at least guide members in the right direction when it comes to card making. 

EDIT: Also, I don't know how tutoring has been handled with the newer members that have used this service, but I would suspect that a session one on one with a more experienced member would be largely more beneficial than an agglomerated review-type scenario via PM. Much less intimidating that way. Like I said, I don't know how it is being handled currently, but just a thought

I would love to be a mentor...if I'm eligible. Not sure if my card making is good enough to constitute such a thing, but I would hope that I've proven that I can at least guide members in the right direction when it comes to card making. 

EDIT: Also, I don't know how tutoring has been handled with the newer members that have used this service, but I would suspect that a session one on one with a more experienced member would be largely more beneficial than an agglomerated review-type scenario via PM. Much less intimidating that way. Like I said, I don't know how it is being handled currently, but just a thought

I agree that one on one is probably the best method to do this, too. The PM conference-style things we have done so far haven't been entirely successful because neither the newbies or most of the tutors have really bothered/known what to contribute. One on one is less intimidating and more personal.

I agree that one on one is probably the best method to do this, too. The PM conference-style things we have done so far haven't been entirely successful because neither the newbies or most of the tutors have really bothered/known what to contribute. One on one is less intimidating and more personal.

Talked to one of the newbies that was part of it.

He found the conference-model to be really intimidating.

I agree that it needs to be more personal.

Yeah, personalized ones seem to be the way to go.

A lot of the new members that have been PMed haven't replied back. I think one of them did, but that's it.

Just as a sidenote, if the newbies in questions are making multiple cards, I'm probably not going to say much, since as I mentioned at some point, I'm not particularly fond of sets (especially if there are a lot of cards).

3 or less cards, I'll say something. (I believe that was the case in the last couple for the most part; over the limit)

• 2 months later...

Archived