Pokken Tournament

Agro

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Iron Fist

Poke Fist

I doubt it's a coincidence, especially since Bamco is working on Smash Bros.

I'm hoping for some crossover characters and costumes. 

I'm just saying it's a pretty standard way to name things like that. I wouldn't get my hopes too high because them just using ken like tons of other stuff do is just as (if not more) possible.

One of the reason I hate Jig in Smash is because the Pokemon franchise is THE most hungry for reps because a TON could work in a fighting game and I think she is a really weak choice given how many other amazing ones you have. As such, I've always believed that a Pokemon fighting game could totally be done, so I really want to see what Pokken is all about. 

Side from that, R/B/G/Y coming to VC would also be really sweet since it will let a whole generation experience the first gen. I mean, if you were born in 2000, you would just about be entering High School and the first pokemon gen they would have been able to really played would have been the 4th, MAYBE the 3rd.

One of the reason I hate Jig in Smash is because the Pokemon franchise is THE most hungry for reps because a TON could work in a fighting game and I think she is a really weak choice given how many other amazing ones you have. As such, I've always believed that a Pokemon fighting game could totally be done, so I really want to see what Pokken is all about.

Dat Rest tho.

Blaziken and Lucario are obvious choices for a Pokken Fighters. And I'd like to note that they both have Mega evolutions, so that may be part of who gets chosen. Whether or not you like it, Pikachu will definitely make it in in one way or another.

Basically any mons that stands up as a fighter seems possible. Snake-like mons could be cool too, as well as four-legged mons. More interesting would be birds and something like Muk or Magneton.

I wonder though, if this couldn't just end up like regular old pokemon except the battles turn into these tekken-inspired battles that lie somewhere between actual Tekken fights and the RPG battles in Ni No Kuni. In other words: Ni No Kuni battles but much faster paced.

And now I'm going to lay out how in depth I'd REALLY like this game to be: You can learn many different moves just like in normal Pokémon, but only 4 can be equipped at one time, and there are many different iterations on those 4 different moves that can be accessed with fighting game controls (half-circle-A/s*** like that). Pokémon have a certain amount of HP, obviously, and you can switch out for different ones in real time, made quick and easy by hitting them on the gamepad. Could just not allow switching and force you into a certain order like King of Fighters. Not exactly sure how that would work. No idea how items would work either, but they're also a possibility. Pokémon start out in base forms, but can evolve just like in regular Pokémon, and can even Mega Evolve if holding the right items. Stats, typing, abilities, items, statuses, confusion, are all still in effect in these battles.

So basically, regular ass Pokémon RPG, except Tekken battles instead of a Turn-Based battles.

A lot of people would disagree and jump on the amg nintendo rehash bandwagon but I would love another gen 1 remake.

We don't need gen 7 anytime soon. 

I hope game freak decides to make a Fire red/ leaf green remake for the 3Ds. :l

Meh, I'm tired of all this Genwunner pandering in Gen VI, TBH. People should learn to move on; you already have your remakes, now let the rest of the fandom get their new, original content, m'kay?

Side from that, R/B/G/Y coming to VC would also be really sweet since it will let a whole generation experience the first gen. I mean, if you were born in 2000, you would just about be entering High School and the first pokemon gen they would have been able to really played would have been the 4th, MAYBE the 3rd.

Unfortunately - for you at least - Jigglypuff is ridiculously popular in Japan, second only to Pikachu, or at least she used to be; therefore, it's most logical that they include her as one of the representatives of the franchise. SSB isn't made solely with the hardcore gamers in mind; they want to attract the general audience as well, so they opt to give priority to each franchise's most popular and recognizable characters in order to promote it, regardless of how they could genuinely contribute to the game. I think the Western players seriously need to learn to understand that they're not the only fans of the franchise out there; in fact, Nintendo has historically put the domestic market before the international one, since that's where usually get their biggest sales numbers (proportionally). That's how most companies, particularly those based on developed countries, tend to operate, in reality.

Meh, I'm tired of all this Genwunner pandering in Gen VI, TBH. People should learn to move on; you already have your remakes, now let the rest of the fandom get their new, original content, m'kay?

Unfortunately - for you at least - Jigglypuff is ridiculously popular in Japan, second only to Pikachu, or at least she used to be; therefore, it's most logical that they include her as one of the representatives of the franchise. SSB isn't made solely with the hardcore gamers in mind; they want to attract the general audience as well, so they opt to give priority to each franchise's most popular and recognizable characters in order to promote it, regardless of how they could genuinely contribute to the game. I think the Western players seriously need to learn to understand that they're not the only fans of the franchise out there; in fact, Nintendo has historically put the domestic market before the international one, since that's where usually get their biggest sales numbers (proportionally). That's how most companies, particularly those based on developed countries, tend to operate, in reality.

Okay, don't cry "Genwunner" right away. Yes they had a remake, but the remake was made around the same time as a game being remade right now. And in the old physical/special split mechanics. Another Gen 1 remake would be fine, and it's my least favorite generation.

And I love how you right away assume they don't want Jiggly because they have a hardcore gamer mindset. There's no denying there's a ton of awesome choices besides Jiggly.  And I don't think it's as popular as it once was, to be honest. Even in Japan.

We've had gen 1, 2, 3 remakes.  Next game is Ruby and Sapphire remakes.  Right after RS was FR/LG.  Doing one now would make sense.

Also, we don't need content saturation.  This isn't a single player game.  Releasing expansions like remakes or a third version gives us more content in the same game.  Generations shouldn't be too short, it ruins it.  Give people time to enjoy this one before cranking out new Pokemon for the sake of it.  

I think Gen 1 has aged INCREDIBLY poorly, but I think giving an actual generation a chance to play actual gen 1 is nice. 

I know full well Jiggs was super popular back in the day. That is back in the day though and Jigglypuff, as far as I know, has lost a TON of her popularity. I'm more than confident to say Lucario and Charizard are more popular at this point. Lucario because its featured as an ace of 2 gym leaders in 3 gens, is obtainable early in both B/W2 and X/Y, and got a TON of anime time just recently meanwhile Charizard got 2 Megas, was brought back into the anime, and has its own 3DS cover. I bring up the anime because its a nice way to gauge popularity, and by that metric she has lost some amount since she hasn't had any major appearances in some time. As such, I find the "Jig is popular" arguement a highly suspect one. She was popular, but we have slew of new popular pokemona and they are just as popular, if not more so. Also, not sure where the "hardcore" point is coming from. Jig was one of the best characters in Melee, so its not like she can't be really good in game. 

The reason 4th gen is my personal favorite gen is because it did two thing that totally changed how pokemon is played. Obviously, the physical and special split is one, but the other is the introduction of a TON of good moves. Having access to the new moves as well as Pokemon no longer being screwed by having stats not match their type (Dark being the biggest offender, followed by Dragon) and just being able to make physical Electric type just did a ton for the game. 

Honestly, thats part of the reason I want R/B/G/Y to be rereleased on VC, so as to get to go back to the wild west where special was one stat, psychic was immune to ghost, and the best moves for half the types SUCK. And, to show them off.......

Grass: Petal Dance / Solar Beam (70 Power, 1 grass type gets it, confuses atfer 2 or 3 turns / 2 turn move)

Bug: Twineedle (25 Power, limited in who gets it)

Poison: Sludge (65 Power, limited in who gets it)

Rock: Rock Slider (Half of Rock type got it, also Rock only had 2 moves)

Flying: Drill Peck/Sky Attack (Limited in who gets it / 2 turn move)

Dragon: Dragon Rage (-40 HP)

Fighting: High Jump Kick/Submission (85 Power, 1 pokemon got / 80 Power, 80 Acc)

Ghost: Lick/Night Shade (20 Power / Damage = Level)

Wait, maybe the shocking new announcement could be FR/LG remakes?

I know it'd be odd to do that when ORAS hasn't even come out yet, but maybe that's why it's "shocking."

And if there were ever any remakes to be released consecutively, it'd be Gen 1 and Gen 3 since people have pegged them in the same spot on the Pokémon timeline.

Well, I am stretching it there and I'd rather have Pokken at this point before anything.

But I do agree Gen 1 needs to be remade. I want to travel through 3D Kanto too.

Okay, don't cry "Genwunner" right away. Yes they had a remake, but the remake was made around the same time as a game being remade right now. And in the old physical/special split mechanics. Another Gen 1 remake would be fine, and it's my least favorite generation.

And I love how you right away assume they don't want Jiggly because they have a hardcore gamer mindset. There's no denying there's a ton of awesome choices besides Jiggly.  And I don't think it's as popular as it once was, to be honest. Even in Japan.

What bothers the most, in reality, is this nostalgia craze that's been contaminating mainstream media over the last years. When I roam around the fan communities which I participate of, I can't help but be worried about how people have trouble dealing with changes in their favourite works; they seem to be always complaining about how "things weren't as good as they used to be in their days" like grumpy old men/women, and demanding that the creators turn things back they way they used to be. And, unfortunately, more and more franchises' heads are yielding to those wishes nowadays. Take Digimon, for example, with Toei announcing the production of a new Adventure series' installment despite how far the development of its characters and setting went on, even so far as to make a huge step back by bringing the original main characters back to the spotlight and, most likely, undoing all the personal growth they went through over the course of the two series and, therefore, discrediting them in their roles as mentors of the new generation, who, sadly, will probably be mercilessly shoved aside in favour of the old one, not to mention the possibility of creating even more conflicts with the source material than 02 already had. Those people believe things can be the way they used to be, but the fact is, they can't; you can't get back the years gone-by. You have to learn to move on, accepting change is inevitable, as it's the only way there is for us humans to survive in this unstable world. However, that doesn't mean you should let go of all your previous attachments; it only means that you have to adapt them a little to fit in the new world order. 

We've had gen 1, 2, 3 remakes.  Next game is Ruby and Sapphire remakes.  Right after RS was FR/LG.  Doing one now would make sense.

Also, we don't need content saturation.  This isn't a single player game.  Releasing expansions like remakes or a third version gives us more content in the same game.  Generations shouldn't be too short, it ruins it.  Give people time to enjoy this one before cranking out new Pokemon for the sake of it.  

I'm not talking about releasing a new generation, I'm talking about making more spin-off games like Pokémon Conquest, Snap and the Mystery Dungeon Series, you know, something that actually brings a breath of fresh air to the franchise instead of merely pandering to the older fanbase.

I think Gen 1 has aged INCREDIBLY poorly, but I think giving an actual generation a chance to play actual gen 1 is nice. 

I know full well Jiggs was super popular back in the day. That is back in the day though and Jigglypuff, as far as I know, has lost a TON of her popularity. I'm more than confident to say Lucario and Charizard are more popular at this point. Lucario because its featured as an ace of 2 gym leaders in 3 gens, is obtainable early in both B/W2 and X/Y, and got a TON of anime time just recently meanwhile Charizard got 2 Megas, was brought back into the anime, and has its own 3DS cover. I bring up the anime because its a nice way to gauge popularity, and by that metric she has lost some amount since she hasn't had any major appearances in some time. As such, I find the "Jig is popular" arguement a highly suspect one. She was popular, but we have slew of new popular pokemona and they are just as popular, if not more so. Also, not sure where the "hardcore" point is coming from. Jig was one of the best characters in Melee, so its not like she can't be really good in game. 

While I may concede that Jigglypuff isn't "hot" as she used to be, the main point I'm really trying to get across is that the fanbase here in the West is historically known to possess a, incredibly self-centered mindset, in that they've always complained (but to a lesser extent back in the 64-bit era) about Jigglypuff being included in the roster because, in their eyes, she was never nearly as awesome or popular as the likes of Charizard and Mewtwo, when, in reality, she used to be one of the Top 3 favourite mons among the Japanese fans, which were - and still are - the main target audience of the games and both franchises as a whole. I think people here - as in this part of the world - desperately need to learn to look at things from other cultures' perspective, instead of cocooning themselves. What I meant about hardcore gamers - as a whole, not only in SSB's case - is something along those lines as well: they should also stop trying to "monopolize" the games and let the rest of the fanbase and casual players have their place. I'm sure there'd be a lot of fans, especially those who haven't been keeping up with the new Gens and are more attached to the SSB franchise itself than Pokémon, that would be upset about Jiggly, one of the 12 characters present in the game since its first installment, being left out of the newest one. After all, the number of representatives of each franchise present in the series's been only growing up since the Meele; we could still find a way to make room for new PKMN characters there. It's more of a matter of empathy than anything else.

"Lots of stuff I don't want to quote all because of space."

Anyway. Yes, I agree that people stuck in "Gen 1 is best" is annoying, but no I don't think we need to ignore Gen 1 to "move on". Gen 1 needs an update so that we can adapt them for modern times. I hate that, to play the Gen 1 games, I have to go back to the days without the better mechanics of today.

As for Jigglypuff....You say we need to move on, then say that Jiggly should stay because of nostalgia, I don't get it.

That being said. I doubt this will be a new gen or a remake. They already have one remake coming, it would be silly to make another main game right now.

If you look at R/B/Y today, they were a total mess and have aged very badly. Sure back in the day it was great as you could Trade with your friends and stuff. But the amount of Evolutions (sorry...) over the Generations have really shown the Game Boy Games fro what they were. Horrible glitchy messes. I also heard that Green was even worse and had to be re-released in Japan because of it. The Stadium Games on the N64 I still hold close to my heart though and to me they were way better then the Gamecube and Wii games. The Mini-Games alone make them timeless.

To remake FR and LG now would be a waste, would be better to either go with the obvious Z or to move onto the later Gens (Gen 4 is a personal favorite of mine)

While I may concede that Jigglypuff isn't "hot" as she used to be, the main point I'm really trying to get across is that the fanbase here in the West is historically known to possess a, incredibly self-centered mindset, in that they've always complained (but to a lesser extent back in the 64-bit era) about Jigglypuff being included in the roster because, in their eyes, she was never nearly as awesome or popular as the likes of Charizard and Mewtwo, when, in reality, she used to be one of the Top 3 favourite mons among the Japanese fans, which were - and still are - the main target audience of the games and both franchises as a whole. I think people here - as in this part of the world - desperately need to learn to look at things from other cultures' perspective, instead of cocooning themselves.

What I meant about hardcore gamers - as a whole, not only in SSB's case - is something along those lines as well: they should also stop trying to "monopolize" the games and let the rest of the fanbase and casual players have their place. I'm sure there'd be a lot of fans, especially those who haven't been keeping up with the new Gens and are more attached to the SSB franchise itself than Pokémon, that would be upset about Jiggly, one of the 12 characters present in the game since its first installment, being left out of the newest one. After all, the number of representatives of each franchise present in the series's been only growing up since the Meele; we could still find a way to make room for new PKMN characters there. It's more of a matter of empathy than anything else.

Fair point about wester audience. Though I wonder how much of it is people cocooning themselves vs. just them not knowing. Even during the days of Melee I don't think wester fans could really know how popular Jigs was so for her to be in the game is a really, "what, why" moment. At this point in time though, I don't think the "she is popular" argument carries much weight since tons of pokemon are super popular.

If characters could just be added to the game like that, I wouldn't suggest cutting anyone, but that isn't the reality. The game DOES have a certain maximum to the number of characters it can realistically add. I honestly expect the number to be in the low/mid 40s, with what we have now pushing into the high 40s. Either way, we do have a cap.

As for the first game argument, I honestly don't think you should be locked into every smash game being forced to have those characters simply because they were the first. Honestly, every character minus Jigs wold already be locked if Sakurai wanted a rep from that franchise with her alone standing as as someone who is only more and more falling into the backround of the hundreds of pokemon we have now.

Cutting any character is going to make people sad, but I don't think that should keep you from doing it. I mean, are Jig fans going to be anymore more upset than Ice Climbers fans if they are cut? Not to mention, they are being cut so as to make room for other characters, and they can just as easily enjoy those as they did the old ones and end up with new characters to love. 

If you look at R/B/Y today, they were a total mess and have aged very badly. Sure back in the day it was great as you could Trade with your friends and stuff. But the amount of Evolutions (sorry...) over the Generations have really shown the Game Boy Games fro what they were. Horrible glitchy messes. I also heard that Green was even worse and had to be re-released in Japan because of it. The Stadium Games on the N64 I still hold close to my heart though and to me they were way better then the Gamecube and Wii games. The Mini-Games alone make them timeless.

To remake FR and LG now would be a waste, would be better to either go with the obvious Z or to move onto the later Gens (Gen 4 is a personal favorite of mine)

Which is why I don't want a remake of the 1st gen again, but a rerelease. The wild west of pokemon seems like a fun place to revisit. I just hope they keep Psychic immune to Ghost. As for Green Version, what little I know of it comes from the sprites and boy o boy, they wrre BAD.

The only way I would want a RBY remake at this point would be if it were a Wii U game.

I'm ready for a RSE remake, but a second remake for RBY still feels too soon for me. I still have a DS (and GBA, and SP, in addition), I can still play FRLG with it.

The only way I would want a RBY remake at this point would be if it were a Wii U game.

I'm ready for a RSE remake, but a second remake for RBY still feels too soon for me. I still have a DS (and GBA, and SP, in addition), I can still play FRLG with it.

Seeing as how I play the Wii U as if it were a handheld, I wouldn't mind it being on the VC.

Also, why is no one else giving any consideration to a rerelease? Is it really that out of the question.

Archived