Pokken Tournament

Agro

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just took a look at some of the footage, looks alright to me. I think it's a tad clunky right now, but it can easily be smoothed out before release.

I like that Pokémon like Suicune are going to be in there. I'm down for weird choices making it into the roster as well.

Though Sceptile and Charizard would be nice to see. 

I wonder if avian Pokémon will be represented.

They had better have shiny colors then....

So I forgot. But any ideas yet about amount of characters there will be?

If smash bros is any indication they might not use shinys cause lololololol

We have no idea. I think a safe guess is around 20. Most fighting games tend to hit that number, but this is a brand new thing so it could be a bit lower.

Frogadier's inclusion makes me assume Greninja won't be playable. Interesting. I mean, Ches is a more obvious choice, but I would have put money on the frog out of the three. Who knows, maybe the fox will use her cunning and sneak in. I do think a 6th gen starter has good odds of making it, but who knows.

Aren't Chespin, Fennekin and Frogadier all supports though?

Frogadier's inclusion makes me assume Greninja won't be playable. Interesting. I mean, Ches is a more obvious choice, but I would have put money on the frog out of the three. Who knows, maybe the fox will use her cunning and sneak in. I do think a 6th gen starter has good odds of making it, but who knows.

I'm honestly really relieved about that. Because...well we have Greninja as a fighter in Smash already. I'm still annoyed about Pikachu getting a spot when someone we haven't seen used could've gone instead.

Goddammit, fighting games don't work like that, you can't use the argument of roster slots.

You kind of can. Adding more characters makes the game take longer to develop. It also carries with it needs of more balancing. Fighting games in general do have an upper limit on how many characters you can possibly add. That number is likely in the 30s or 40s so its not so much of an issue here, but it can come up with other games.

What? I'm not sure what you're saying. There is a certain amount of characters planned right to be used on a roster right? I just don't see why we need another Pikachu fighter.

Pikachu is the franchises mascot. It can happen, but Pikachu is going to show up in pretty much anything and everything pokemon related. I don't see that as a problem though since Pika is a cool pokemon.

Pikachu is the franchises mascot. It can happen, but Pikachu is going to show up in pretty much anything and everything pokemon related. I don't see that as a problem though since Pika is a cool pokemon.

I know...well, opinions. But personally I think Pikachu is the least interesting of its evolutions. Pichu and Raichu are great. I would have loved to see Raichu in this instead. Just because...well as you said Pikachu is everywhere. Like they could have used Pika as an assist or...something besides main fighter.

Pokkén game is confirmed! I hope they tease us a new game like X/Y because there have been rumors going on about Gen 7 games called Pokémon Plus and Minus. Speculations are also going on that Nintendo is planning on doing remakes of Diamond and Pearl, also possibly sequels to X/Y called Pokémon X2/Y2, so I hope they reveal something big!

Fighting games don't begin their development with, "We're going to have this many characters." A character's presence has pretty much no bearing on that of another's (aside from Pokemon in the same evolutionary family, since this is a Pokemon game) who may or may not have even been considered, at least not specifically. People always complain that so-and-so character getting it took the spot of their favorite character so-and-so who could've gotten in instead, but it doesn't work like that.

I'm reminded of that post Sakurai made regarding Lucina, Dr. Mario, and Dark Pit in Smash Bros. calling out all the people complaining about clones "taking up roster slots." The clones didn't take as much time as a full character, yes, but the general idea still applies.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived