Duel Portal February Tournament (Please read the Rules before applying)

Maeriberii Haan

16 members have voted

1. 1. Do you guys want to use each other's Decks for the tournament?

[spoiler=The Furious Boxer]
Name: Mac Louis
[spoiler=Appearance] 352944702cc0e3ad.jpg
He stands at 5'8, weighing 185 pounds of muscle, although his loose clothes hide them. He has multiple scars on his body from living in big bad Brooklyn.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Personality: This boy is one tough and stubborn cookie. Even as a normal human, his willpower was strong enough to help him shrug off attacks from the best boxers in the world, and to keep fighting when most people would have lost consciousness. He's proud of the skill he has earned through training, and trains constantly.

Due to his intense training, he is very perspective of people's body language, able to tell if they want to attack and even from which direction. Most of he time, he can be seen quietly observing instead of speaking. When he does not train, he is very laid back... There's just not many times when he's not training.

As a result... he has very bad social skills. He finds it awkward to talk to new people, and that makes it hard to make new friends. However, he's fiercely loyal to the friends he does manages to make, often helping them without any questions or asking for anything in return.

He also has a bit of a temper issue, mostly when it comes to people questioning his skill. After all, he worked hard for it and he'll be damned if anyone talks down to him or belittles his skills. He also can't stand one that disregard others, and will often jump to someone else's defense, even if he had no part of the argument in the first place.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Biography: Mac grew up in a tough part of Brooklyn, being raised by only his father, an old boxing champion everyone called 'Doc'. Mac spent a good deal of his life being bullied at school and on the streets. However, out of fear, he told no one, just taking it and holding in all his feelings.

That all changed one day when a bully was stupid enough to beat up Mac in front of Doc. After driving away the bullies, Doc started giving Mac personal training lessons. Since Mac didn't have the sheer size advantage most of his tormentors did, Doc taught him to be quick on his feet and to be calculating. This let Mac learn the art of finding a weakness and exploiting it.

When his training was done, Doc took Mac to the Boxing Federation, to see how much the training paid off. Surprising, Mac did great, quickly rising the ranks, almost reaching the top and even had a match to become champion. Some people didn't like this though, and threatened that if he won, bad things would happen to him. Mac told his father about this, but the jolly ex-champion told him to not worry about it and press on. Mac of course listened, and became the American Light Heavyweight boxing champ. His however, changed his life forever, and not in a good way.

A week after Mac became champ, shady looking people came by to the gym he worked out at and began to fire their guns all over the place. Doc shoved Mac into a safe position... At the cost of his own life. Mac watched his father die right in front of him that day... And something inside him snapped.

Suddenly, the world looked like it was moving in slow motion, to the point even the bullets looked like they were crawling through the air. An ethereal aura surrounded his hands and became a weapon he was most familiar with... Boxing gloves. He ran up to an assailant and punched with all his mighty rage, and watched in shock as the man flew through a wall, across the street, through another wall, and disappeared from sight. With this discovery of his newfound strength, it was easy work taking out the rest. The bullets couldn't even touch him as they crawled through the air and he made easy work of them.

One man was smart enough to run away. In frustration, Mac threw a punch in his direction... And suddenly his body zipped over, flying across the ground to punch that man straight into the chest. A sickening crunch was heard as his fist went through his skin, his bones, and the man's muscles before coming out the other side. And that's how Mac accidentally killed his first man.

From then on, Mac felt lost without his best friend, mentor, and father. He spent most of his time training and fighting, if only to pay the bills. One day while watching TV, he saw a commercial for the city of Tokyo. For some reason... He felt... Compelled to go, like it was something he HAD to do. He reasoned it as needing a vacation. So now he travels to Tokyo, unaware of the game he has now entered. [/spoiler]
[spoiler=Soul Manifestation: A pair of good old boxing gloves.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Aethertouched Ability:

His perception enhances, making the world look like it is moving slower, which allows him to dodge or counter easily. He's honed is ability to the point that he can dodge bullets, one time actually approaching a man who fired off several rounds, and Mac just dodged each one.

[/spoiler]

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll go ahead + sticky this.

As for the point system, we'll discuss it later on.

Last tournament basically awarded a point every time you won a single Duel; essentially max points was (max_participants - 1) x 2.

For the Challonge link, I assume you have access to an account there; otherwise I don't mind creating the tournament on mine (and having you edit scores when needed; should be possible).

I want to join as well.

YCM Name: Voltex - Injustice
DP User Name: Voltex

The deckswap suggestion is interesting: not only it would help us to understand the archetypes from other players, but also we could learn a thing or two from our own decks by looking how other players would run them.

But how would it work? We build decks and then hand them to other participants, or do we assign an archetype to each other and build a deck around them?

What would you guys like to see happen in this case?

My two thoughts on the matter, we could have you all submit an Archetype, run them through a randomizer and you'd be instructed to design a Deck based on the Archetype you are given.

(Again, this hasn't been discussed amongst myself and Nai before this came about, and with you all)

---

I've edited the main post with the participants and added a poll to decide stuff.

I wouldn't mind playing with other people's cards, but I think it'd be more interesting for the judges to select a pool of archetypes and then see what the players can do with them, making the provision that no archetype of the player's own design may be used by that player (but everything else is fair game). This would give the players more agency and allow for more creativity, imo.

That's sort of the idea I mentioned above, except without the own cards ban.

But indeed, it'll be interesting to see what you can do with another member's cards. 

Will you find another playstyle that the creator didn't foresee during their creation?

Two people have already sent their lists to us though. 

We'll have the deck swap tournament in March, just so Nai and myself aren't running 2-3 tournaments that month that involve the entirety of this section. 

Right now, it'll be a regular tournament. 

The object of the deck swap is basically to see how well do you understand another member's Deck; and can you find anything that they might not have thought of during creation. 

Again, they would be placed into a randomizer + it'll determine the Deck you'd build at that time. 

Basically, you PM us the Archetype or stuff you want people to use in the tournament (that's on DP); we'll shuffle them up and distribute them amongst the other players. 

Yeah, I support leaving the deck swap tournament for the next month.

Anyways, have you considered a custom banlist for this tournament? I ask because I noticed Instant Fusion was removed from the public pool, and I wonder it that was done so players wouldn't have access to it, or if they agreed to not use it. Also hitting certain power cards such as Raigeki or Soul Charge, which may not be too relevant in TCG but certainly have an impact in DP, would be nice.

I didn't see Soul Charge do anything broken for ages. Raigeki even balances it a bit more than it already is - I always thought of it as a fine card at 1, seeing how many restrictions it has. I suggest banning it if it does something overwhelming, because I didn't even see it played last tournament. At all.

As for Instant Fusion, the card is completely fine. 1k for an Xyz material or Synchro Material and lose a handcard in the process is nothing amazing or broken. Elder God Noden is the problem, and has no use other than Instant Fusion, so just get rid of that if need arises. I'd say we play a bit before we ban stuff that is arguably broken on paper and see if it really is like that in play. We have a completely different Metagame on DP, so testing is required.

With the deckswap thing out of the way, I think I will take part in this tournament.

YCM: ToaCody

DP: ToaCody

Probably won't take part in next month's tournament as I am very particular with how I play particular games. I probably wouldn't object to putting up my cards for the swap though.

With the deckswap thing out of the way, I think I will take part in this tournament.

YCM: ToaCody

DP: ToaCody

Probably won't take part in next month's tournament as I am very particular with how I play particular games. I probably wouldn't object to putting up my cards for the swap though.

That's why we asked for your opinion before going through with it.

Again, it's basically something Nai had on a whim when doing this thread + thought would be interesting.

I'll add you two to the list.

As for the Challonge thing, I'll do it later on; but your names should be on here.

Archived