Duel Portal February Tournament (Please read the Rules before applying)

Maeriberii Haan

16 members have voted

1. 1. Do you guys want to use each other's Decks for the tournament?

IIRC, a problem I noticed last tournament (even though I wasn't in it) was that despite the judging, the archetypes weren't all necessarily equal; you had some of the higher-tier archetypes like Aqua's and Voltex's up against the weaker Decks, and the matchups weren't close to equal. I'd like to help out with trying to narrow the power gaps so this won't happen again.

I'm even willing to playtest the contestants' Decks before the tournament, since I believe that archetypes can't be judged effectively enough just by looking at them and determining all of the combos.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IIRC, a problem I noticed last tournament (even though I wasn't in it) was that despite the judging, the archetypes weren't all necessarily equal; you had some of the higher-tier archetypes like Aqua's and Voltex's up against the weaker Decks, and the matchups weren't close to equal. I'd like to help out with trying to narrow the power gaps so this won't happen again.

I'm even willing to playtest the contestants' Decks before the tournament, since I believe that archetypes can't be judged effectively enough just by looking at them and determining all of the combos.

This would honestly be wonderful.

(also dammit sakura it was only a suggestion)

This would be rather helpful actually. Some of the combos in the tournament were not discovered until mid duel, so this would help fix some of that a ton. Anyway, sign me up!

YCM User: Grandmaster of Darkness
DP User: TheTrikyTrikster

count me in! I am definitely down for some good ol' tourney fun! I would like to potentially judge, if that spot is up for grabs. here is my info:

YCM Username: YugsterMajor

DP User: YugsterMajor

(Wow, what a surprise)

Same profile pic and all! I'll send out decklists and such after everything is complete! I will be using Necrovanyias for the tourney.

"Considering Raigeki was unbanned recently, we should make sure people don't abuse the hell out of it, or make derivatives of it to get around the list filter."

I know of two DP cards that can potentially spam raigeki once per turn.  one might say those cards are the problem more than raigeki, but still, i would't mind banning raigeki.   my opinion is that any card which is so good that everyone runs it should be banned, except MST

"My two thoughts on the matter, we could have you all submit an Archetype, run them through a randomizer and you'd be instructed to design a Deck based on the Archetype you are given."

that's what I'd want.  one problem though: my dinos arent' an archetype.  they do all have the "DINO" tag in the system though. could we use that?  also, we'd have to have rules for how many non-archetype cards you can have.  We should certainly allow a few. I mean, everyone runs MST.

Will join the tournament, later.  I'm hoping to have my Necrospawn archetype ready by then but it's unlikely

1. We'll see what Nai thinks about the custom banlist; lately, they haven't said much about stuff in this tournament (aside from the 2 idea)

2. That would be fine. As for non-Archetype cards, you can use the regular staples + stuff; but most of the Deck should be comprised of another member's cards. 

Just make sure you get your registration in by February 14th. 

There's a reason that I use HST, because most if not all of you, should live in a timezone that's ahead of mine and have that extra time. 

In Nai's case, he lives in Indonesia, which is most likely even most east from you all, which cuts down a bit on your registration. 

It is not recommended that those who participate in the tournament are hired as judges, at least in my personal opinion; there'd understandably be a conflict of interest, which might or might not be overlooked.

I also think that new cards should be adjusted based on old cards and not the reverse (so anything that abuses old cards should probably be fixed in lieu of banning older cards, given that that's possible).

Also, posting entrance intent:

YCM: Cirrus

DP: Citrus

ABC's not participating in the tournament itself; he'll just be overseeing the cards that people are going to be using. 

That's also why I'm not playing either, due to academic reasons and my role as assistant host in this tournament; for most intents and purposes. 

Yep, this was mainly re: some other offers. I'd offer to judge myself but I'd actually like to play in at least 1 DP tournament first.

I have been thinking about this, but to be honest I have not dueled lately, nor even logged in to DP actually, and I don't think I will be up to dueling in the following week(s) for the tournament, so I would like to become a "judge" instead.

I apologize for not reporting earlier before the brackets were done.

It's good that you notified us now. 

The brackets won't be set until this coming Saturday (or Friday morning in my case, since I'm the one who has access to the Challonge thing)

I'll send you a PM with the Decks that have been sent in so far. 

(Nai needs to send me a copy of Toyo's stuff also, if she sent something in)

---

Nai, if you have a Challonge account, please mention what it's called so you can be given access to the tournament brackets yourself in the event I'm gone. 

I feel like withdrawing from the tournament. However, I still need to establish Miko's place in the DP meta, so I need someone to run them for me at the tournament. If not, I'll stay in the tourney. Otherwise, please allow me to be a judge.

I would, which I plan to next tourney, but this tourney I'm testing my Necrovanyia deck. I don't doubt somebody will want to run your deck though, so keep looking

If you wouldn't mind, I'd also like that thread forwarded to me as well! I know I already forwarded my deck, so it should be interesting to see what competition lies ahead

Edit: Wait, is the list of submitted decks for the judges only?

Yeah, it's basically for the judges, so we can determine if anything needs to be fixed before things start up.

If you want to judge, the CC Monthly still has those two slots open. 

You guys will be given the opportunity to publish your Decklist publicly at the end of the tournament. 

As for Toyo, Nai's told me about your situation in Indonesia with the flood and everything, so we kind of figured you'd withdraw.

For judging roles, you can take this one. (Think 3 judges is enough for this sort of thing)

I'll close the registration tomorrow, and use the remaining time to handle balancing stuffs and planning things out with the rest of the council.

If you are PM'd to fix your card but you didn't respond and fix it, we will nerf them for you.

Can't guarantee the end result, so please respond to balancing PMs~

So if we respond to it, and we apply some of the changes made, will all of the recommended changes be implemented regardless? Some of the changes I responded to would practically kill my deck, and I don't want to compete with a deck that would be severely crippled. Also, can I get some clarifications between suggested changes and mandatory changes?

Registration's closed now, whether or not we decided to use Nai's timezone or mine (it would've expired about a hour ago).

Anyway, as Nai mentioned, if we tell you to fix the cards; respond to it, otherwise they will get edited.

Suggested changes basically are things that you should do; mandatory is basically balancing issues and stuff that might lead to any broken loops.

You can try to find a middle ground between what you believe the Deck needs, and what we tell you to fix.

Basically, just acknowledge that you've gotten the message and will look into editing them, so the Deck isn't broken but still works properly.

Archived