[Finished]Unglued & Unhinged Tournament [ROUND 1 START]

KoolGoldfinch

swcux0.png

Yeah, that's right!  Here we go!  This contest will be great!

THEME:

As the name suggests, you will be creating ridiculous cards that you might see Yu-Gi-Oh! create should they make a set like Magic: The Gathering's Unglued and Unhinged card sets (examples below).  There will be 3 rounds where each contestant will make different cards.  After round 1, 1/3 of the contestants will be eliminated, and then after round 2, half of the contestants will be eliminated, leaving very few for the final round.  If there should be too many contestants left during that round (8 contestants or more) there will be a sudden death round of the top 4 from the third round.

ROUND 2: UGH!!!  WHY?!

Alright.  Let's get a bit more creative with round 2... and more annoying!  Make me a card with an ability that annoys the opponent at the Standby Phase (either yours or your opponent's ; examples below).  I really am excited to see what you guys have in store for me.  The deadline for entry is Sunday, May 17 @11:59 PM Eastern Time (please look up this time in your time zone if you are not in the Eastern Time Zone.)

REMEMBER: The person with the lowest score this round will be eliminated.

[spoiler="Examples"]GOOGLE SEARCH THE FOLLOWING CARDS:

Carnivorous Death Parrot

Frankie Peanuts

World-Bottling Kit

Rod of Spanking[/spoiler]

RULES:

[spoiler="spoiler"]1. Standard YCM and Custom Cards rules apply in this section. Please remember to abide by / follow them in this contest.

2. Written Cards will be accepted, however if you opt to do this; do not use the cardmaker to generate a pictureless image. Just type it out in text format.

3. When posting a card, make sure that you have its lore posted beneath, so it is easier for the judges to read your effect. Also make sure that you post it properly using the cardmaker.

4. You MUST post your inspiration for the card you are entering.  Whether it is a long-winded, meaningful explanation or if it just came to you from a stupid joke, tell us!  As this is a joke card contest, anything goes as to how you go about creating the card.

5. Try to go above and beyond.  This is not a requirement, but keep in mind that this is not a contest to slam some celebrity or joke about the latest meme.  If you can find an interesting way to create such a card, by all means do so, but if you have Photoshop, I would highly recommend downloading a Yu-Gi-Oh! Card template and making the picture leave the border limit for the card such as MTG does.  Again, this is not a requirement, but it would be neat to see how you would do this.  As a side-note, please do not create a new-colored card or a new card type.  Try to create something interesting with what's available now.

6. You are NOT allowed to make edits to your card(s) after you post them; you should have already designed the card as a final product when you submit it.

7. The usage of Fake Types / Attributes, as well as DIVINE, Divine-Beast and Creator God is expressly forbidden. (Even though this is a joke card contest, the goal is to have a playable, realistic yet ridiculous joke card.)

You are expected to design a card that adheres to the current standards set by Konami (usage of the existing 23 legal Types + 6 Attributes).

Also remember to abide by the max. 5000 ATK/DEF rules for original stats.

Once again, remember to make the card as ridiculous as you like, but keep in mind that it cannot be OP and has to be realistically playable.

[[[ THESE RULES TAKEN FROM MODERATOR SAKURA AND EDITED TO FIT THIS CONTEST ]]]

[/spoiler]

JUDGES:

1. Me

If you would like to judge in this contest, just post a comment to this thread (max 3 judges; first come, first served; PM your grading scale to me).

Every contestant will be judged fairly and equally based on creativity, how well you kept to the theme of the round, and over-all playability.  Your final score will be an average of all the judges (if the same max. score for each judge) or simply the total score (if different max. score for each judge).  You will get a clean slate to be judged on each round.

My Judging Criteria:

[spoiler=''Spoiler"]20 pts - Creativity (This includes the card name, image [if one is included], and lore / effect.  The point will be to think outside the box for these challenges, so if you do something new and different, you should have no problem acing this category.)

15 pts - Balance (This includes the Level/Rank, ATK, DEF, & card effect.  The original ATK and DEF of a monster should not exceed 5000, and if it does reach that high, at least 3 Tributes [or a Special Summon] is required.  All Spell & Trap effects should be balanced and fair as well.  The point is to keep the cards fun and wacky without being OP.  You should know if your card is OP.)

10 pts - Usability (How often would this card be played if it was a real card?  Could it be played correctly and fairly without argument over possible effect meanings?  Ace these questions, and you should be fine.)

5 pts - OCG (Old grammar will not lose you points, but you should be able to write in English in complete coherent sentences.  You will not lose points for spelling errors [as long as I can make out what the word is supposed to be] but you will lose points for sentence fragments, repeated / unnecessary text, or for an ambiguous effect.)

TOTAL: 50 pts

If you have any questions / comments / concerns, please ask.[/spoiler]

PRIZES:

1st Place  -  500 Points + Signature Badge

2nd Place  -  250 Points

3rd Place  -  50 Points

<<< PARTICIPATING JUDGES MAY ADD TO THE PRIZES AT ANY TIME >>>

CONTESTANTS: Current Standings:

1st -  Gadjiltron

1st -  Aquatic Ether Zerpant

1st - VCR Cat

1st - Nekroz Kaleidoscope

1st - Lady Elysia

7th - MetaSkipper Dropped Out

7th - Chivalry Disqualified - Reason: Inactive

Last - Minato Sakai Disqualified - Reason: Banned

If your name is in bold, that means that I got your entry.

[spoiler='MTG Unhinged Examples']126.jpg   107.jpg   29.jpg   132.jpg

For more examples, just Google Image search "MTG Unhinged" or "MTG Unglued" without the quotation marks.[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Signature Badge Example']10pmw52.png[/spoiler]

If you have questions / comments / concerns, please PM me.

Good luck everyone!

Get Wacky!

This looks fun, but how important is balance in this contest?

That is for the judges to decide.  As we have no judges yet, I cannot say.  But going off the assumption that I will be the only judge at this point, I can tell you that I really do want the submitted cards to be balanced, but still hilarious.

I'm a bit late... and eh...I don't think I have the right to judge so... I might be able to make one but idk...

Why not?  Send your grading scale to me.  As long as Sakura and none of the other mods mind, I think you could judge.

IT IS OFFICIALLY SATURDAY, APRIL 25TH.  THIS IS THE LAST DAY TO ENTER THIS CONTEST EITHER AS A CONTESTANT OR AS A JUDGE (JUDGES ARE MOST CERTAINLY WELCOME!)

YOU HAVE UNTIL 11:59 (EST) TONIGHT TO POST HERE STATING YOUR INTEREST.  THIS IS THE FINAL BUMP / WARNING POST FOR JOINING THIS CONTEST.

Just as a sidenote.

If Kuriboh is going to help judge, make sure he posts his criterion when scores are up.

Passing the exam isn't a requirement, but getting certification indicates that he knows what he's doing in regards to checking for card balance and other stuff.

(It'll help if he's familiar with MtG mechanics also; in which case, Gadjiltron can certainly be of service.)

(It'll help if he's familiar with MtG mechanics also; in which case, Gadjiltron can certainly be of service.)

Nnnnot quite. MtG mechanics has little to do with this.

The theme of this contest is "silly interactions". Cards and effects that interact with the game in never-before-seen ways that would make those who read them double-take, giggle a little, but still be somewhat playable within the environment. May contain traces of self-referential/meta humour.

Just as a sidenote.

If Kuriboh is going to help judge, make sure he posts his criterion when scores are up.

Passing the exam isn't a requirement, but getting certification indicates that he knows what he's doing in regards to checking for card balance and other stuff.

I'll make sure.  His grading scale / criteria will also be publicly visible on the first post if he decides to judge.

Nnnnot quite. MtG mechanics has little to do with this.

The theme of this contest is "silly interactions". Cards and effects that interact with the game in never-before-seen ways that would make those who read them double-take, giggle a little, but still be somewhat playable within the environment. May contain traces of self-referential/meta humour.

True.  I just used MTG as an example because they have the only fun sets like Unglued & Unhinged as far as I know.

Alright.  I will be judging this contest solo.  If you would like to join in as a judge, you can do so at any time (as long as deadline for entry for that round has not expired), just remember to PM me your grading scale.  The criteria for Round 1 should be up later today or tomorrow.

EDIT: Round 1 requirements are up!

Okay, here's mine:

[spoiler='My contest entry, round 1']

cgZ45P5.jpg

When this card is Summoned: You can quote the character Joey Wheeler from the Yu-Gi-Oh! anime for up to 20 seconds, in your best Brooklyn accent. If your opponent keeps a straight face: Destroy this card. Otherwise, you can Special Summon 1 Warrior-Type monster from your hand or Graveyard.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Inspiration']My first idea, after seeing the whole "Gotcha" theme, was "Dramatically quote the anime, see if they start laughing or facepalming." Originally it was going to be a spell named "Heart of the Cards" or somesuch but then I noticed it had to be a monster. I forget exactly how I found this picture while Google Image searching for ideas, but it was too good not to use. So the current version of the card has a narrower focus.

The whole Warrior theme just made sense to me, since that seems like Joey's type if he were a card. I decided on a simple, reasonably strong effect with a lot of precedent; nothing too groundbreaking here, but as far as I know there's nothing that Special Summons in precisely this way, giving it a reason to be used (while the drawback of potentially not working prevents it from being too OP.)[/spoiler]

Archived