[Finished]Unglued & Unhinged Tournament [ROUND 1 START]

KoolGoldfinch

SrhMnZO.jpg

[spoiler Card Text]When this card is Summoned: You can send it to the Graveyard, and if you do, inflict 800 damage to your opponent. Whenever your opponent says "Chain" or "effect", you can say "Gotcha!" and if you do, return this card from your Graveyard to your hand.[/spoiler]

[spoiler Design Notes]I had to take a moment to go and spectate a few Yugioh players just to understand some common habits they have when they play their games. I didn't pick up any common quirks so I instead had the Gotcha! trigger off a word(s) they commonly say. The words I often hear are "effect" and "Chain" which may be reflective of how many effects can trigger within a single turn.

What the card actually does? I settled with a monster that self-destructs to do some damage. It's like Fire Trooper, but it does 800 instead of 1000 to make up for its ability to recur really frequently.

Note that the Gotcha effect is intentionally worded a little unconventionally. Since talking is a free action, I've made the Gotcha effect not cause Chain Links to allow you to get it back even when your opponent says the triggering words in the middle of resolving a Chain.[/spoiler]

tumblr_inline_mq6s58BPDk1qz4rgp.png

A cool entry thing!

z8gwT49.jpg

[spoiler=Lore]

When your opponent looks at either player's Graveyard, except when targeting for/ resolving a card effect: You can Special Summon this card from your hand. If Summoned this way, when this card is sent to the Graveyard by your opponent's card (either by battle or card effect): You can target 1 face-up card you control and 1 face-up card your opponent controls; send both to the Graveyard, and if you do, shuffle this card into your Deck.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Insperation & Notes]

Alright so one of the most common habits I see on DN is people checking the Graveyard before activating effect/ when you're using an effect, so I figured there should be some way to capitalize on this.

I wanted to make sure that it wasn't so summonable that it could go off on CotH or OoDS or something like that, so I made sure that the eff could only go off when the opponent checks for no reason. 

The recycling eff is kind of a double-edged sword, and is generally really slow, so I figured it was somewhat balanced.

[/spoiler]

Here comes an entry

[spoiler= Entry]

AfoeWKr.png?1

Reckless Underdog

Wind

Level 7

Machine / Effect

Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. Can only be Special Summoned by its own effect. When your opponent offers to shake your hand when you are about to lose: You can yell "Not if I can help it!" and Special Summon this card from your hand. When this card is summoned, you can choose 1 effect:
● If your opponent has more total cards in their hand and their side of the field than you do: This card gains ATK and DEF equal to the difference x500.
● If your opponent's LP are higher than your's: This card gains ATK and DEF equal to half the difference.
If this card destroys an opponent's monster in battle, you must say "Better luck next time!" Otherwise, destroy this card.
ATK/   0 DEF/   0
[/spoiler]

[spoiler= Inspiration/Notes]
Wanted to make something a little different, that when you played it it would have a combination "WTF" and just overall groan factor. Of course, it's a card that COULD turn the table as POTENTIALLY being a big beatstick, or just as a little extra protection to get by one more turn. Coming up with the conditions required to trigger this card's summon were tricky; at first I considered the opponent saying something like "Well you lose!", but I couldn't think of any common phrase that was used by a lot of people. Then I remembered every tournament stream I've watched, and the dreaded handshake. I also considered adding a OPD clause to this card's effect, but honestly if your opponent runs into him a second time in a duel, that's THEIR fault. I should also mention that using Yu-Jo Friendship as the losing player won't work with this card's effect since the opponent has to offer the handshake. I also wanted to support the kinds of matches that are very close and heated, so the card's ATK/DEF gain effects rely entirely on how badly you're losing. If the game is a complete landslide, or an OTK, then this card could turn things around. Finally, the last flavor-text flavor of the card is something I kind of really wanted to add, even if it doesn't affect the card's function at all. If you're going to play this card, why not force you to act as over-the-top as its design implies? Also, one last ruling: You HAVE to yell "Not if I can help it!". Simply saying it out loud in a raised voice isn't enough; you gotta shout it.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Entry]

HikC4qP.jpg

Cannot be Special Summoned, except by its own effect. When your opponent ask you how many cards are in your hand, you can Special Summon this card (from your hand). When this card is Special Summoned this way it is unaffected by other cards and effects, also it cannot be destroyed by battle this turn. You can Tribute this card; draw 2 cards. You can only use this effect of "Meiwakuna Tekaunta" once per turn. You cannot Normal Summon the turn you active this effect.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Inspiration]

When thinking of this card I wanted to think of something player's do that sometime can annoy other players. So I came up with one my of my personal favorites "card in hand?" This will surly make them thing twice before asking again. And to make it even worse, the card itself is immune to everything for one turn, then on your next turn you can Tribute it for 2 new cards!

I decided to make the draw back a little different too and not allow any Normal Summons for the turn.

I realize there may still be some combos out there that only Special but this way whoever is using this card cannot Special something, Normal Summon it and get 2 free cards.

[/spoiler]

Here are the results!

Please note that MetaSkipper dropped out and Chivalry has been disqualified due to inactivity.  Therefore, no one will be eliminated this round, and 1 person will be eliminated in Round 2.  Take this time to review your scores and prepare for Round 2.  Good luck!

[spoiler='Gadjiltron']Creativity: 15/20 - I like the concept and it is balanced, but it could have been a little more humorous with its name, picture, effect, etc.
Balance: 15/15 - No problems over here.
Usability: 8/10 - I love the effect and I like how you tried to balance it, but the way you explained it is very confusing. Does it come back if someone says "I chain with..."? Does it come back if the opponent says "So, this effect resolves..."? It could take a few minutes to sort this effect out with everyone else playing.
OCG: 5/5 - No problems over here.

TOTAL: 43/50[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Aquatic Ether Zerpant']Creativity: 20/20 - I love the pun in the card's name, and the effect certainly is creative.
Balance: 14/15 - Not a big deal, but it's shuffling into the Deck effect could seem a little OP, especially since it destroys an opponent's Monster when it does so. But it is balanced out (somewhat) that you cannot shuffle it in if you also don't have another Monster to sacrifice.
Usability: 3/10 - The effect is creative, but it would be hard to activate an effect when someone looks at a Graveyard. You can't call them on it, and even if you did, they could argue against it, and you would need multiple spectators to confirm this effect. The only way this effect would be useful would be in online dueling networks, and I was looking more for a card that could be used in real life.
OCG: 5/5 - No problems here.

TOTAL: 42/50[/spoiler]

[spoiler='VCR Cat']Creativity: 20/20 - Love the inspiration.
Balance: 15/15 - No problems here.
Usability: 1/10 - As much as I love this card's concept, I would guess that maybe only 1/2 of the time, the opponent will give you a handshake before they finish the game. Even if they did offer the handshake, there's still a big chance that this card won't turn the duel around like it's supposed to. The total cards effect wouldn't give it too big of a stat boost (maybe 2000) which in a losing situation, most likely wouldn't help much, and as you can't play this if you've taken the damage and already lost, the max ATK gain this card could get might be 3800 if you're lucky. And there's always the possibility you would lose by card effect. The situations are just too broad for this effect to be used the way you intended.

TOTAL: 41/50[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Nekroz Kaleidoscope']Creativity: 10/20 - The name makes no sense, same for the picture, and its Machine-typing confuses me further. What is this thing supposed to be? Why does it have its effect? It seems like there was some creativity put into this card, but I'm not understanding it.
Balance: 13/15 - The complete immunity when summoning coupled with the major DEF of this guy makes his first turn a little OP, but at least it only lasts for one turn. The Normal Summon drawback after using the drawing effect is good, but I'm confused as to only using that effect once per turn. If it's sent to the Grave, how could it be used more than once per turn?
Usability: 10/10 - No problems here.
OCG: 4/5 - There is a spelling / grammar mistake and the "..., also, it cannot..." seems a bit oddly worded.

TOTAL: 37/50[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Lady Elysia']Creativity: 20/20 - I love the original Yu-Gi-Oh! I grew up with it, actually. The Joey face is the best. I love this card!
Balance: 15/15 - No problems here.
Usability: 7/10 - I LOVE this effect, and it would be hard for me not to crack up should someone use his effect, but for people who didn't watch the anime, you won't get much use out of his effect.

TOTAL: 47/50[/spoiler]

So, the terms were a card that annoys the opponent at the Standby Phase...

...but it doesn't specify if the annoyance ends after the Standby Phase.

XoGcVaK.jpg

[spoiler Card Text]Activate during either player's Standby Phase: Your opponent must place at least 1 finger on this card. (Thumbs don't count.) If your opponent does not have any fingers on this face-up card, halve their current LP, also send this card to the Graveyard.[/spoiler]

The essence of Un-cards is something that forces interaction in ways that the standard card game won't think of. Here, the theme is "manhandling your cards".

Your opponent must have at least 1 finger on the card on resolution - otherwise it will check for lack of fingers and they lose half their LP immediately. Your opponent is still permitted to read the card prior to it resolving. The moment their fingers are not on the card, halve their LP immediately, since handling your cards is a free action, even if it's mid-Chain.

Having the thing activate only on Standby Phases is a bit of a courtesy, where there's otherwise very little action going around, meaning fewer cards-on-stack to handle when the card activates and forces the opponent's hand. Settled with halving their LP as the negative effect that will afflict them as it will bite every time it happens, and rarely does doing so trigger any effects, which means fewer resolution troubles when the finger leaves the card.

Yes, having 2 copies of this card on opposite corners of the field means incredible inconvenience.

65KqDbC.jpg

[spoiler=Lore]

Once per turn, during the Standby Phase: the turn player can shout either "Attention!" or "At ease!"; apply one of the following effects, depending on the word(s) shouted:
@"Attention!": change all monsters to face-up Attack Position (Flip monsters' effects are not activated at this time). Any battle damage either player would take this turn it's halved.
@ "At Ease!": Change all monsters on the field to face-down Defense Position. Monsters cannot change their battle positions until the End Phase, except with a card effect. 
[/spoiler]
Dontcha just hate it when your monsters get changed into a postition you don't want them to be in? So will your opponent once this card's effect activates. This card helps combat monster effects that activate while face-up on the filed, or flip monsters. also helps flip monsters reuse their effects and is also an out to djinn lock. 
also this card is great because they have to actually shout, not just say it. 

Okay, mine is done.

gENq2v5.jpg

[spoiler='Lore']Once per turn, during your opponent's Standby Phase: You can give your opponent a standard 52-card deck of poker cards, with one card missing. If your opponent correctly guesses the missing card within three minutes, they gain 500 Life Points. Otherwise, they randomly discard 1 card. You can only control 1 "The Detective's Trial."[/spoiler]

Not much to say about the inspiration here, the idea just sort of randomly occurred to me. Three minutes is plenty of time, in theory, so it shouldn't really be broken - but being effectively forced into sorting out an entire deck to find the one thing that isn't there, and then getting almost nothing out of it, just screams "massive pain in the ass".

[Edited because I forgot to put the lore in text format]

Wow, such spells and traps.

DccUlF0.png?1

[spoiler= Lore]

This card cannot attack Defense Position monsters. At the end of your opponent's Standby-Phase, you can shout "Hold it!": Your opponent must wait 60 seconds; then, if your opponent moves or makes a sound (normal breathing does not count; you may try to get your opponent to move or make a sound, but you cannot touch them in any way; your opponent is allowed to move their eyes but not blink), yell "Bang!" and discard 1 random card from their hand or destroy 1 set card they control, then wait another 60 seconds. You can only activate this effect of "Tiger Owl, the Quickdraw" once per turn.

[/spoiler]

They say the Great Horned Owl cannot see you if you don't move, and the same goes for this fella! I wanted a monster that was annoying during the standby phase, but did something a little beyond annoyance. Sixty seconds may not seem like much, but if you use this card right it can be a real pain. Please note that the effect that can only be used is the initial waiting; not the destruction/discard. Those can happen a lot if your opponent is just really jittery or something. Picture shooting the cards with your finger like as if it were a gun, and you've got Tiger Owl, the Outland Quickdraw! Make sure to have a stopwatch on hand!

Also another note, yelling false "Bangs" when your opponent has not moved can be a nasty trick if they're inclined to protest immediately. The ruling here is if there's an actual dispute, wait the full sixty seconds before disputing it. Anything else and the card's effect triggers and you wait another 60. Nobody gets away until Tiger Owl is sure the coast is clear!

[spoiler=Round 2 Entry]

At13jrW.jpg

Cannot be destroyed by battle. During each player's Standby Phase: Your opponent can scratch themselves, on the back on their neck and behind their ears, while counting to 10 to negate this effect, otherwise you can Special Summon 1 monster from either player's Deck or Graveyard.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Inspiration]

Just thought it would be funny to have a powerful effect but that can be easily negated but by making yourself look somewhat ridiculous. 

[/spoiler]

• 2 weeks later...

I would likely assume that the TC either has internet problems, or some other situation in reality that's preventing him from logging on for the past two weeks (maybe exams or other factors).

Really cannot say, but just keep in mind that I'll probably have to lock this in a day or so, because of the inactivity thing.

Archived