Green Baboon, Defender of the Forest

In the case of Derpmails, wasn't Tidal's use to trigger the Atlanteans, and then combo with the 7s to make Abyssgaios and any other Rank 7 they needed? I don't recall it being used as a beatstick except rarely.

Also this, thanks for reminding me. Tidal's first effect enabled Atlantean effects. So you won't tell me he was run JUST as a beastick/rank 7 fodder.

Nothing stopping them getting that. Until like, Substitoad there wasn't any way of getting loads of WATERs in grave, either.

But it's about gameplay. Mermails, Chaos Ruler or whatever deck you ran Rulers in naturally ended up with things in grave, especially Mermails with constant floating. Also due to the first effect, Rulers were useful even when you couldn't summon them.

If you draw Baboon and a beast, IT'S NOT ENOUGH. Untill we get Beasts that blow themselves up on their own, you will need a 3rd card in the equation to summon this guy.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But that's the point - it's not a big stretch to get Beasts that pop themselves and that's all the card needs to make itself amazing. Nobody's saying Baboon's good now but it's effect is powerful and has the potential to be seriously threatening with very little support.

But that's the point - it's not a big stretch to get Beasts that pop themselves and that's all the card needs to make itself amazing. Nobody's saying Baboon's good now but it's effect is powerful and has the potential to be seriously threatening with very little support.

Giga openly said that this is a "broken card that doesn't do anything" and that's what I'm getting at, because it's a ridiculous sentence.

300px-PlayfulPossum-BPW2-EN-C-1E.png

Or did you mean one that was good?

Yes :P

Eh, once you make Brio to bounce Wisel and then get set up Team New World can't even touch you at that point. They've got like, this really heavy amount of scripting in their decks so you can very quickly cripple them before they get out Skiel/Granel, and even if they do you'll have a plethora of traps waiting for them.

Also, there's also this guy for triggering Baboon:

300px-DiamondDireWolf-BP03-EN-SHR-1E.png

Wouldn't be too hard to make him since there is the likes of Chain Dog.

Giga openly said that this is a "broken card that doesn't do anything" and that's what I'm getting at, because it's a ridiculous sentence.

Don't get his words twisted. He also said, and I quote "It is really really good at filling a niche that doesn't exist."

In English, it means it's very potent, but not right now. That is what me and iHop are getting at really.

He didn't say it's potentially broken. He said it IS broken.

He also said that it "is simply held back by lack of a place it can be utilized." That is what iHop, Darkness, and Giga are all trying to get at

Also it should be noted in trying to say he agreed with anything close to what you had to say that he took a huge distaste to your comments privately. :X

He didn't say it's potentially broken. He said it IS broken.

In a vacuum it is. It's a beatstick that can revive itself indefinitely (including reviving itself after its own destruction by battle, before the errata) so long as a cost can be paid. It's just that in the context of the metagame, and more crucially what Beast-Types actually do, that it becomes lacklustre. If Konami turned around tomorrow and made a Beast Archetype based around "destroy this card, and if you do, x happens", this would be a nasty piece of work.

@Playful Possum: that's actually what the card was used for in the anime.

He also said that it "is simply held back by lack of a place it can be utilized." That is what iHop, Darkness, and Giga are all trying to get at

Also it should be noted in trying to say he agreed with anything close to what you had to say that he took a huge distaste to your comments privately. :X

So a follow-up comment to everything said before erases what was said before? I'll keep that in mind.

In a vacuum it is. It's a beatstick that can revive itself indefinitely (including reviving itself after its own destruction by battle, before the errata) so long as a cost can be paid. It's just that in the context of the metagame, and more crucially what Beast-Types actually do, that it becomes lacklustre. If Konami turned around tomorrow and made a Beast Archetype based around "destroy this card, and if you do, x happens", this would be a nasty piece of work.

And judging cards in vacuum is the worst way to judge how good a card is. There's also the stupid theory aspect "if it happens". Like seriously, can't we anymore discuss the metagame or current use of cards on those forums? Do we always have to go to theory? "If X then it would be Y", "bad design", "unhealthly", blah blah blah.

This card is utter sheet at the moment and whether it will be sheet tomorrow is uncertain, but at the moment it is and there's not much to say.

So a follow-up comment to everything said before erases what was said before? I'll keep that in mind.

And judging cards in vacuum is the worst way to judge how good a card is. There's also the stupid theory aspect "if it happens". Like seriously, can't we anymore discuss the metagame or current use of cards on those forums? Do we always have to go to theory? "If X then it would be Y", "bad design", "unhealthly", blah blah blah.

This card is utter s*** at the moment and whether it will be s*** tomorrow is uncertain, but at the moment it is and there's not much to say.

Maybe some of us have seen for ourselves what happens when this card gets what it needs, and maybe that's why Giga made the comments he did :)

I like how no one is really on the same page for two whole pages in this discussion.

I like how you just noticed that happens in this section.

This card is utter s*** at the moment and whether it will be s*** tomorrow is uncertain, but at the moment it is and there's not much to say.

You're missing the point. What Giga et a have been trying to say this whole tims is EXACTLY WHAT I JUST SAID. There is very real merit to evaluating an effect like this in its own right, because even changing the context very slightly makes a huge difference.

Changge Beast to Wyrm? It now comboes with Yazi. Change Beast to Aqqua? Graydle shenanigans. The effect of "if x is destroyed, summon this" is a strong effect, it just lacks the specific support to showcase that. There is a huge difference between "it's bad now, but is broken in the context of what it does and has the potential to prove it" (What Giga argued) and "it's bad and always will be" (what you're arguing).

But really, there's not much to discuss about this card aside from theory-oh due to the simple fact that nothing actually can use it effectively atm aside from being a recurring beatstick in a deck that doesn't really need much of it (raccoon). I mean it has been said that it might be broken in a vacuum (in the same sense of Fossil Dig being better than RotA in a vacuum), but that's it. It joins a lot of its brethren as those good or powerful cards that didn't actually have a home that can abuse them.

It has absolutely zero impact ever so it's crappy within context of the actual game. But in a vacuum, always floating into a 2600 level 7 beater is pretty nice especially if the deck works like Scrap for some reasons and can actually set this up. Buuuuuuuuuut it's not real life so yeah.

But really, there's not much to discuss about this card aside from theory-oh due to the simple fact that nothing actually can use it effectively atm aside from being a recurring beatstick in a deck that doesn't really need much of it (raccoon). I mean it has been said that it might be broken in a vacuum (in the same sense of Fossil Dig being better than RotA in a vacuum), but that's it. It joins a lot of its brethren as those good or powerful cards that didn't actually have a home that can abuse them.

It has absolutely zero impact ever so it's crappy within context of the actual game. But in a vacuum, always floating into a 2600 level 7 beater is pretty nice especially if the deck works like Scrap for some reasons and can actually set this up. Buuuuuuuuuut it's not real life so yeah.

Thank you! Thank you! Just thank you.

Buuuuuuuuuut there's no rule against Theory-Oh anyway, which is what the comparisons to Rulers were about anyway. Not all discussion has to be about what the card does NOW; it can also be about what circumstances make use of its full potential.

Real life becomes kind of irrelevant on a forum that discusses cards from the anime and manga which will never see the light of day.

I'm not saying that theory-oh is wrong. I'm saying that it's the one of the few only approaches to this thread if we want to actually discuss anything substantial about this card. No point in approaching it from a competitive standpoint, for one, and talking about impact of a card that never had one in the first place is really a waste of time. The thread's just a post commemoration in heart anyway.

and really, not all of my appearance is a sign that a thread's getting off the rails or something similar after all.

I'm not saying that theory-oh is wrong. I'm saying that it's the only approach to this thread if we want to actually discuss anything substantial about this card.

Then let us theory-oh.

and really, not all of my appearance is a sign that a thread's getting off the rails or something similar after all.

Genma gets paranoid about mods from how many threads have devolved into locks in this section.

Archived