[RP Discussion] Why do you RP?

Aix

Why do I rp?  I ain't got sheet else to do son.  But real sheet, I enjoy writing.  When I get a chance to flesh out a bunch of sheet, it really helps me to relax.  It takes away a lot of stress with really little cost to me.  And it keeps me coming back,  Kinda like good head game.  That's real talk.

I would have to say that I really enjoy the different perspectives and writing styles that other people can contribute to a story. They help keep the pace varied, and also help the story develop organically and in a more balanced way. Otherwise, I know that I tend to favor a few characters if I'm writing a story alone.

To write, more or less. It allows me to use characters I might not get a chance to write about otherwise, in situations they wouldn't normally be in, and let's me write things beyond the stories I am working on. Basically it's something that lets me write about various characters in new ways.

It's fun as funk bringing your characters to life and getting to act out their roles.

It lets you live in the world that the RP takes place in, and you get to interact with other people and work on a story all together.

It's a really collaborative process and it's fun and everyone in the RP learns stuff about each other and becomes friendlier/closer and sheet.

As stated before it is a fun way to kill time. I personally enjoy making a character and seeing the situations that they have to deal with. It's even more when you've planned out certain end games in your character's life and then the host goes and throws you a curve ball. Or when you're in a fight scene and you can visualize the epic throwdown between your character and someone else's.

I like just about everything about roleplaying and find it fun. I do enjoy writing a lot, but when it comes to sitting down and committing myself to an extended piece of work I get horribly unmotivated really fast. So, I like that about RPing because it keeps me motivated, (since I know I'm not the only one who cares about what I'm writing in,) in addition to helping me become a better writer by just practice and comparing how I write to others. I enjoy the collaborative aspect of roleplaying, and working with/against other people as all of our characters and just kind of seeing how a story that everyone works on turns out. I suppose the final core reason I really like roleplaying isn't so much because of roleplaying itself, but also because it kind of just helps me meet new people in general and make more friends across the vast expanses of the internet. 

Really it's just a non-stress way to write. Whenever I sit down to write a story or work on a novel, there is always the pressure of getting it just right. The thing about RPing, it takes that pressure off. Do you want to make your posts good? Of course. But it is ludicrous to expect that every post be perfect. It has all the fun of writing without bringing out the perfectionist in me. Plus, as CowCow said, it allows me to write variety of characters that I wouldn't be able to write otherwise. Plus worldbuilding is always dope af, so there's that.

I started playing D&D when I was a preteen, and I really got into the roleplaying scene there. I still remember the first time I was praised for doing some great roleplaying. It made me feel happy, but not only that, like I was an official part of the group. A bit later, I started roleplaying on forums, and found that fun too, just in a different way. Less pantomiming and voice acting, but more writing. Idk, just always found roleplaying fun for various reasons--being with a group, acting out a role, creating a character, and actively participating in someone else's world with others.

It's been a while since I did any RPing, other than with one friend who helps me test and experiment with my writing characters (and I'm doing the same for him), since we both got back into writing our fics almost simultaneously.

But it's important to test how characters interact, and it's harder to simulate developments and such when you control both sides to it. It's a good way to write, a good way to keep engaged, and it can just be fun, especially when the interactions give you incredible insight into something you hadn't noticed before.

Why do I RP? RP is the least lonely form of writing fiction.

Why do I keep RPing even if they keep on dying? Because I like doing it. Pretty much that. I like talking about characters and seeing people talk about my characters, I like interacting with people's characters and seeing they interact with my characters. I like my writing is being read, and I like reading what others write. I like feeling the struggle of RPing with everyone else there. And...I like talking and sharing about something I like to people that feels the same way. That makes me feel less lonely.

It's pretty much that.

I've been turning this over in my head quite a bit recently, and I really can't place my finger specifically why I enjoy RPing, I guess I just do you know? It's something that lets me escape for a little while, and pretend I'm someone else, and lets me experience stories that are far more fantastic and beautiful than my own, and it lets me bring life to all the different ideas I have bouncing around in me, but never have the concentration to put on paper. 

Simply put, RPing is a combination of two things I'm passionate about: Storytelling and RPG game design. Its fun, connects me with people, and its good practice for things that I (hopefully) will be doing to make a living some day. The format also lets me experiment with story and narrative structures that I'd otherwise be unable to implement very well in solo fiction, which keeps things interesting and fresh.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived