Archetype Generator Meta

Draconus297

So, I've been doing some thinking: Besides, like, Prysm, Logicangel, and Fortune Lady, is there any AGM Deck that can play Wheel of Greed (Roll a six-sided die, dump a monster whose Level is equal to the result, draw that many cards, but if you can't, your opponent can dump and draw instead, if neither player can pull it off, both get burned) without including potential Garnets? Like, Destiny HERO have no reason to use Levels 1 and 2, and even 5 is a bit of a stretch (but rolling a 6 is just absolutely nuts); Rocknights really don't want to run the Level 5+; your average Synchron Deck is never running Level 4 or 6; you're never running the Level 2 or 3 Wilonka cards . . .

Just a thought that occurred to me, is all.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@@Uggla6

Wiretug Modular

EARTH – Level 4 – Cyberse/Synchro/Effect – 1900/200

1 EARTH Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner EARTH monsters

(Quick Effect): Target 1 face-up monster you control; change that target to face-down Defense Position. (Quick Effect): Target 1 face-down Defense Position monster you control: change that target to face-up Attack or Defense Position. If this card in your possession is destroyed by your opponent’s card (either by battle, or by card effect): You can target 1 “Wiretug” monster in your GY; Special Summon it in face-down Defense Position. You can only use each effect of “Wiretug Modular” once per turn.

Wiretug Functional Overloader

EARTH – Level 8 – Cyberse/Synchro/Flip/Effect – 2800/2000

1 Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner “Wiretug” monsters

FLIP: For the rest of this turn, if this card attacks a Defense Position monster, inflict piercing battle damage to your opponent, also any battle damage this card inflicts to your opponent is doubled. If this card is Synchro Summoned: Destroy all face-up cards on the field. Once per turn (Quick Effect): Target 1 face-up monster on the field; change that target to face-down Defense Position.

Wiretug Integrated Development Environment

Field Spell

All “Wiretug” monsters gain 500 ATK/DEF. During your Main Phase, you can Normal Summon 1 “Wiretug” monster in addition to your Normal Summon/Set. Your opponent’s cards and effects cannot activate when a monster you control is Flip Summoned.

Wiretug Encryption

Quick-play Spell

Apply this effect depending on whose turn it is.

● Your turn: All “Wiretug” monsters you currently control are unaffected by your opponent’s card effects this turn.

● Opponent's turn: Special Summon 1 “Wiretug” monster from your hand, and if you do, face-down monsters you currently control are unaffected by your opponent’s card effects this turn.

Wiretug Backdoor

Normal Trap

If all monsters you control are in face-down Defense Position (min 1), you can activate this card from your hand. Target 1 face-down Defense Position monster you control; change it to face-up Defense Position, then if you flipped face-up a Flip Effect Monster with this effect, you can select 1 face-up card your opponent controls and negate its effects until the End Phase.

Uggla is under the impression that the existing Wiretug Main Deck lineup is enough to carry itself, and has created two Synchros, two Spells, and a Trap. To remind everyone, Wiretug is Level 2 EARTH Cyberse-Type Flip monsters, with handtrap-Summon effects like Ghostricks, self-resetting effects like Subterrors, and HOPT Paleozoic-esque self-revival when a Flip effect goes off. Their primary strengths are their ability to place and maintain field presence and consistent removal, but they struggle against big beaters with protection or Armades clauses, removal that avoids the Graveyard, and floodgates.

So! Let's go through this support lineup one card at a time.

Modular is basically a Tarotrei for Wiretug, helping your monsters go off, your field get rebuilt, and your removal Flip effects act as disruption. The floating effect is nice, but doesn't accomplish much in the long run if your opponent is already capable of fighting Wiretugs. The 1900 ATK stat is arguably one of the best parts of this thing, letting you deal with things that carry actual protection more effectively.

Functional Overloader is the exact opposite of functional. It's a wasted ED slot imo, because keeping four Wiretugs on board accomplishes better results nine times out of ten, and in the situation where you're in a position to actually Summon four Wiretugs and your opponent still has a threat to deal with, you're probably just going to make Scarlight and push for game. Like, the only positive it actually has going for it in this case is the re-Set effect in case Replicator went off that turn and you need the Flip effect of whatever it Summoned.

I can vaguely see what you were going for with Development Environment, but a bit of it is slightly confusing. The extra NS is nice, and I understand that you're probably counting on the End Phase self-Set to get things accomplished, but you've also painted a target on that monster's back to get removed in some way that won't result in it getting flipped. The 500 boost is understandable, but mostly pointless given that Coder having 1800 ATK is the best you can accomplish eithout use of the Extra Deck. The response prevention on Flip Effects is definitely a nice touch, though.

Encryption is absolutely nuts, but the own-turn effect is surprisingly kinda bad; if your opponent has quick removal, nine times out of ten they'll wait until they have two sources. Then, they can just abuse Chain Links to get rid of whatever the threat is. Also, generally speaking, you're probably not going to want to Summon the monster off of the opponent's turn effect, because it's all but guaranteed to die after that point.

Backdoor suffers from being a little slow and unfortunate targeting, but beyond that it's an amazing tool that gets your engine going and negates a potentially problematic effect.

@

Cuneiforment Phalanx

Level 8

EARTH/Rock/Synchro/Effect

1 Rock Tuner+ 1+ Non-Tuners

When this card is Synchro Summoned: change all your face-up monsters to Defence position. While all monsters adjacent to this card are in Defence position: this card can't be destroyed by battle.

If a "Cuneiforment" monster you control changes position: you can tribute that card, then inflict damage to your opponent LP equal to the destroyed monster's ATK. When this card leaves the field: you can special summon a number of "Cuneiforment" monsters from your GY up to the number of "Cuneiforment" monsters used as material for this card's Synchro summoning, except "Cuneiforment Phalanx".

2500 ATK/ 3000 DEF

Cuneiforment Lackey

Level 4

EARTH/Rock/Effect

When this card is summoned: you can change this card's position, draw 1 card then send one "Cuneiforment" monster from your deck to the GY. This card can't attack when it's the only face-up monster you control. Once per turn: you can discard this card, then add one "Cuneiforment" Spell/Trap card from your GY to your hand. When a Rock monster is summoned from your Extra Deck: you can add this card to your hand.

1000 ATK/ 1500 DEF

Cuneiforment Gardna

Rank 4

EARTH/Rock/Xyz/Effect

3 Rock level 4 monsters.

This card can only be summoned in Defence position. Once per turn (Quick Effect): you can detach one Xyz material, then select one other card on the field; for the rest of the turn that card can't be destroyed or be banished by card effects, but it can't declare an attack. If this card with attached Xyz Material is destroyed by your opponent's card (by battle or card effect): You can Special Summon this card from your Graveyard, then, immediately after this effect resolves; Xyz Summon 1 Rank 4 or lower Rock-Type Xyz monster from your Graveyard or Extra Deck, using this card as Material.

0 ATK/ 3000 DEF

Cuneiforment Writings

Normal Trap

When one or more "Cuneiforment" monster(s) is destroyed by battle or by card effect or sent from the field to the GY by an opponent's card effect: gain LP equal to half the total ATK of those monsters. When you would take effect or battle damage, you can banish this card from your GY: all damage you take for the rest of the turn is halved.

Cuneiforment Ziggurat

Field Spell

All "Cuneiforment" monsters in Attack position gain ATK equal to their level x100. All "Cuneiforment" in Defence position can't be destroyed by card effects. If a monster's battle position is changed: draw 1 card, then discard 1 card. Once per turn: you can send one "Cuneiforment" monster from your Deck to the GY, then special summon one "Cuneiforment" monster from the GY, except the monster you sent there by this effect. You can banish this card from the GY: shuffle all the cards in your GY into youd Deck. You can only activate this effect of "Cuneiforment Ziggurat" only once per duel.

Dante seems to think that Cuneiforment, as an archetype, functions in ways that require a little bit of everything, with 1 Synchro, 1 Main Deck monster, 1 Xyz, 1 Spell, and 1 Trap. As a reminder of what Cuneiforment are, they're exclusively Level/Rank 4 EARTH Rocks in terms of monsters, who use battle position changes to go off. They're decent Rank 4 spammers with incredible consistency (and, hilariously, an anti-burn card that doubles as a soft OPT RR Nest), with a lot of really good removal. They struggle with position locks (Gravity Axe Grarl, the king of all cards), floodgates, and huge protected beaters, as their status as a Level 4 archetype makes their biggest effective beater cap at 3K ATK (Scarlight).

Phalanx is a huge "why". Yes, they can Synchro Summon Level 8 Synchros, but making its only effects essentially burn and self-protection from battle really limits any actual use for it. There's also the on-Summon "everybody to Defense" effect, which is a decent way to trigger the on change effects of certain Cuneiforment monsters, but locking that to the Synchro Summon limits the use of that effect, too. The floating effect is decent, but at that rate you'll need to trigger it yourself (which is difficult to do in Cuneiforment) . . . which turns this thing's use into Summon -> 2500 burn -> revive two monsters. While this is devastatingly effective (it puts you 500 damage out of OTK range, or even FTK range if you get their one Tuner and their archetypal Bora on your first turn), but that's pretty bad card design, and invalidates the card's other effects.

First: Lackey, as a name, is off-theme. Second: the attacking restriction is hugely pointless, given that it's one of the smallest monsters in the Deck that's even capable of attacking. Third: the discard effect means that you won't actively want it on the field, meaning that the consistency effect will basically never trigger unless you drew into (or searched) their Altair. Fourth: you made this funker loopable?!

Gardna: Basically just a Nova. Nothing it does is relevant besides stacking into another Rock Xyz.

Writings is . . . alright, I suppose. A suitable one-of given how ridiculously searchable and recoverable it is, but when a lot of the better monsters have 1000 or less ATK, you're not gaining much LP.

Ziggurat's first effect is only there for the sake of Phalanx, I'm guessing, given that a Rank 4 Xyz spam engine doesn't genuinely care about a 400 ATK boost on its monsters. The Dark World Dealings effect on every battle position change is essentially going to get you through a huge chunk of your Deck if you're playing properly, which feels a bit like poor card design. I'll have to talk to Sakura. Milling and reviving is an amazing tool, especially for a Deck like Cuneiforment living and dying by its setup, so that's a plus. The final effect is something you'll only ever use if you fear Deck out, but I can't be mad at it too much.

I'll allow the two of you to speak on your own behalf to defend what I criticized, but so far I'm leaning towards Uggla6.

Well, from general card design principles, draw power really is something you need to be careful with. If it were a "once per turn" thing, then alright, we can let it pass. With Ziggurat's case, this will require me to look over the actual members Draco made in detail as I only superficially glanced at both. Does the archetype possess a high enough "battle position" change thing such that Ziggurat's draw/discard effect in-archetype is major.

If the archetype isn't particularly fast and not prone to abuse (or it has enough restrictions to offset its power), then lack of OPT can be warranted in design. 

====

I'll abstain from giving a full review / opinion at this time, though I will just reiterate what I mentioned above.

Whichever one of you (either Dante or Uggla6) gets Draco's favor to be in this club, make sure you're active (or tell us if you'll be away for an extended period of time).

We don't want a case of having a member who doesn't show up for 6+ months and has to be culled later on (as was the case for .Belle) or activity levels questioned overall (such as with Eshai and Sleepy to an extent, albeit the latter works). 

Most Cuneiforment monsters are able to change either their own position, or each others', and most of them give you some sort of plus for doing so. Their Altair is a Goblin Attack Force, their Kagetokage triggers off of position changes instead of Summon (and draws a card), their Armageddon Knight switches to Defense Position on-Summon, they've got a Black Stego/Tanngnjostr hybrid abomination, and their existing R4 can Quick Effect change the positions of two monsters on the board, there's a lot of position changing going on.

Note that for the second part, I was speaking in terms of general design; not particularly with regards to Cuneiforment itself. In their case though, the massive draw power may be an issue (though it's not like we haven't already seen Decks that can mass draw like crazy, albeit more confined).

If Dova and Nyx want to give their two cents, then they can.

Thank you Draco for taking the time to read and review my additions. Just a few comments on your comments.

Modular: Hit the nail on the head, engine starter with a much needed stat boost. It's disruption potential is based upon the other Wiretugs at your disposal, so despite it being easy to make, you need additional resources to make it effective. The floating effect is certainly the weakest part, but is good in situations where they can summon big beaters early so you can help recover resources in that vulnerable state. Also, it can help in late game niche situations in summoning the other synchro back for OTK.

Functional Overloader: I was very nervous making an OTK/beater/board wipe for the archetype. Those are the 3 aspects the archetype is missing. So I made it cost resources and be slow. I agree it is the worst card of the 5, but you will likely be able to make it on your 2nd turn if you make Modular turn 1 and your opponent couldn't deal with your board. Still it is a monster that has 2800 atk, double battle dmg, piercing, on summon board wipe, and a quick effect book of moon.

Integrated Development Environment: Simple card to give a slight advantage to the whole archetype as a whole. You hit on most of the benefits (extra normal, 500 boost, no response to flip summon). It does help you make a 2400 modular turn 1 though without relying on actions from your opponent. Also, note it only prevents responses on flip summons and not all events that a monster can be flipped face-up (notable difference include battle and when changed due to an effect).

Encryption: Agree with everything you said, although the SS during your opponent's turn was made more to be a cost as well as an archetypal lock for the card than a benefit (although in some cases it does end up being a benefit). 

Backdoor: Tried making a powerful hand trap that is relatively generic for flip effect decks. It's largely used to turn off problematic floodgates (set a monster, activate from hand, negate the floodgate, trigger the flip effect, and continue on with your play). Also, note it targets the set monster, but does not target the face-up card you negate (no non-targeting protection). You select at resolution, so your opponent must chain before they know if your set card is a flip effect monster. Works similarly to the Sky Striker spells.

On to Sakura's concern. I understand that having inactive members is a downer for a community like this. If accepted, I would attempt to stay as active as reasonably possible. However, making a set or so a month is not too taxing. Voting on other's cards more frequently should also be doable. Although, for more urgent matters using Discord/Line may be better ways to get a hold of me than a PM here. I'll be sure to let you know of any extended absences (unless of course they are unexpected and dire such as death, coma, etc.). 

It also makes sense to call into question my activity here on YCM. I have taken long extended breaks and don't post especially regularly. Note, I do not post all the sets that I create, so you are only seeing a small selection of my creations. Also, many sets you see here take me plenty of time to balance test them as well as find the proper art and code them (often times needing outside help in all these areas). Most of the cards I create and post here are developed for use to be played in the current format they were made in at locals and such. When that demand goes down, so does my production of those cards. I also tend to waiver in and out of created YGO card scene. During big YGO events (Nationals, UDS, YCS near me),  I focus on the TCG exclusively and play/test to compete in those events so I cease creating cards. During Bushiroad competitive season (BCS - Fall, BSF - Spring) and Duel Links (WCS - May/June) I also use my free time preparing for those competitions. So my creations often come in waves, between those events. And finally, hardly needing to be said, this is a hobby so sometimes life gets in the way. All this being said, creating card concepts (no coding, no art, no need to test against current format) should make the load significantly lighter and more manageable. In short, if accepted, I will be more active on YCM than I have been in my past 5 years here.

You don't have to be here every day as we all got lives outside this site (i.e. Doing upper division CEE stuff in addition to general moderator duties in my case), but just be around every so often. There's no issue with you competing in other card tournaments as a few other YCM members compete in MtG tournaments from what I know. Real life takes priority over YCM matters in general, so yeah.

Same with having to make a set every month because it does get tiring; you don't necessarily have to (singles are also fine). Most of the sets I work on nowadays are usually in part due to the Single/Archetype game. And yeah, I have some offsite stuff too that I will not post because of the degree of "weirdness".

====

You should be fine.

Ok, my comments on Draconus' comments. Little warning: When I wrote the support the first time, I lost every card I wrote because there was a blackout in my building, so I had to begin from scratch and remember more or less what I wrote a couple hours later. So, what I thought making this cards was:

-Phalanx: if Cuneiforment is basically a rank 4 spam engine and they can pull off at least 1 Xyz during their first turn, they can surely summon a Synchro monster with the same materials. That is basically the reason some archetypes have one or more tuners in them.

-Lackey:

When making this little funker I was a bit distracted and I didn't remember most of the original effect. First: His original name would have been Lansquenet (like the Medieval german mercenaries), but then I didn't remember what effect I gave to him, so it became Lackey. Second: his "go back to the hand" effect is wrong, I meant to give him a "special summon from the GY" effect, but I was thinking about a support card for Relinquished that does a similar thing. Third: I know that the attack restriction is unnecessary and it is a big mistake that I tend to make (giving restriction to cards when they don't really need them). Fourth: The Discard effect is better than a tribute effect, so you can just send him directly to the gy without wasting your NS.

- Gardna: I forgot to write a "no" into its last effect. It was meant to revive him and use him as material when it had no materials attached. Also, it was a bit inspired by Super Dora for the anti-removal effect.

-Writings: well, you already have said everything.

- Ziggurat: you're right, its first effect would be better if it had also a /Rank after level and it was an ATK boost of x200 instead of x100.

The second effect gives you a SS from the GY and sets it up for later, while the third effect is a failsafe, just in case you have nearly no cards left in your deck (it happens, that is why I have won so many times against Lightsworns).

That's it. Thank you guys for even considering the idea of making me participate in this challenge, even if I don't get chosen.

Well then, in regards to the support challenge, @@Uggla6 is our new member from card design. The Wiretug lineup better understood the way the existing archetype functioned, and didn't have as wide a variance in the power level and relative usefulness of its cards. So, Uggla, in celebration, let's get you all settled in with the Board format (your weaknesses, strengths, and any interesting trivia about you as a person or as a card designer you'd like to share, in that order), and get your new Wiretug cards settled nice and snug with the old ones in a CC thread of their own.

Also, given how absolutely fun this private contest was, I'm thinking of doing another in the same vein soon. So, in case you don't trust Deck-building skills over your cardmaking ability, keep an eye out for that!

Also, Lotus cards now exist!

https://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/375045-agm-the-restorative-lotus/

Thank you, glad to be a part of the team. Here's to creating more cards together. I think my strengths in card making lie in the details I put into the interactions and the connecting it with the lore. Also, I take great pride in my creations and thus put a lot of effort into them. My weakness would probably come from my strong to desire to play the decks irl and thus make them well oiled machines. Often times they come out too well oiled if you know what I mean I have to dull them down through play testing them. Other weaknesses may include making cards do too much in an effort to create smaller more efficient archetypes. Nothing too interesting, other than I've been periodically posting cards I believe could be printed into the game in a long series in the Advanced Section. PM any other details needed to get set up within the group. Thanks.

Draco does want you to follow the form (for organizational purposes and looks neater), but yeah, that's about it. 

On an off-topic thing, I did have to spoiler tag that banner in signature because of the height limit (which is around 550 px, but we're not going to be that pedantic if you're a pixel over or something). It's still there.

For club related stuff, I still have some ideas in mind for AGM sets, though again, trying to go into more MR4 stuff because it's pretty clear Konami won't cater to ARC-V stuff anymore [and YCM itself usually doesn't design LEGACY]. 

Certainly. In the format that @@Draconus297 can add to the front page.

Uggla6
Weaknesses: Making card sets to match the meta and in current days that often makes them OP and unenjoyable to play against. Level of detail and interest in my current set can lead to delays between sets (I don't pump them out). My sets tend to be on the lower end in terms of size of the card pool as I prefer less cards that do more rather than more cards that do less.
Strengths: Level of dedication also means I come up with sets that are creative and have fine tune interactions that also connect with the lore. Time permitting I can get the art and code to make them function quite nicely in YGOPro, but often times soliciting others contributions. As I do still play competitively from time to time, my knowledge of rulings, PSCT, and current meta format is also above average.
Trivia: Been on YCM for over 5 years and have been slowly releasing sets (found in signature) I believe to be valid card pools ready for the meta game at the time of release. 

As for my first order of business besides adding the new Wiretugs to their rightful home would be to work on an archetype that was theory crafted in the archetype game (https://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/334071-archetype-game/?p=7111729). I think there are a few things I would like to change in general (for example removing the burn element or modifying it), but their is an interesting mechanic in place here I'd like to delve into.

Also, to your banner comment. My sincerest apologies. I tried to resize it to below 550 pixels last time but, it would seem it still failed. Maybe it has to do with the whole signature instead of just the image. Should be solved now once and for all. 

As for the Legacy support in MR3 it'll be a different mindset to be in since, well I've been playing MR4 for over a year.

You can still design stuff for Master Rule 4 though, but just mark that they're not part of the club pool at this time. I technically have done it for a few archetypes (mostly mine because they're old and need rebooting). Also doesn't mean you can't design sets that are workable in both formats, though AGM doesn't consider the existence of the Extra Monster Zones or Pendulums being moved to the outermost S/T zones as opposed to their own area. (Cyberse cards are okay though, but you did Wiretugs).

So yeah, if you want to design Links for AGM archetypes, then it's okay. Just noting now that I'm perfectly fine with Links being done for my stuff (well, on the consideration that I probably have to do it eventually). 

Also for prompts, you can omit some of the specifics in there if they prove detrimental for design. Don't have to follow the prompts to the letter. 

=====

https://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/334071-archetype-game/page-105?p=7116048&do=findComment&comment=7116048

(I'm leaving this for Dova to do later when he gets slots freed up from his other plans. Yes, this was designed around Striker's duck thing, though in no way was it intended for mocking him. He knows about it on Discord.)

=====

Any AGM archetype you want to design support for in the future, I'd like to remind you (and any future members sitting around waiting for the next card design challenge) that all members besides yourself have designated "Legacy threads", wherein you can make archetypal support lineups. Tinkerer limited himself to one card per archetype, I limited myself to archetypes I did not create myself, and the three current members that are not me did not have any rules besides "I thought up support".

I'd also like to point out, on a side note, that making a solid Link monster for Dragonna-bugeisha or Mellaxis (the deuteragonists of the first chapter of the AGM card story) that understands and fully supports the archetypes they come from, and is consistent with their lore, is the AGM equivalent of the five pieces of Exodia (which, ironically, we agreed isn't getting in ever due to the ridiculous options for draw power in the AGM): You can either ask for my help/guidance on any one archetype you're designing, drop a prompt in my lap, or get instant membership. I've said this before, but literally no one understands how to approach competent support for their odd styles.

As far as MY legacy support thread goes, it's mostly my stuff at the moment (because I have to bring my archetypes up to speed in 2018) and other archetypes I feel that require a boost / I have an idea of how to make feasible support without screwing over flavor and other sheet.

(inb4 certain vets say "but flavor doesn't matter in card design")

That's probably one of the reasons why I don't design stuff for your archetypes (outside of whatever I have to do in those game threads) and pretty much everyone who isn't Dova or Kyumi (hopefully he comes back soon). Either stuff already has a ton of support and doesn't need it or the gimmicks / general playstyle isn't something I am comfortable designing for. And I suppose the weird gimmicks on your end is likely why only Darj and I are willing to actually design for that thread when you post. (No offense though)

You'd have to ask Dova and I suppose Nyx on what their styles are on legacy support threads (as I know they both have ones that haven't been updated lately).

You'd have to ask Dova and I suppose Nyx on what their styles are on legacy support threads (as I know they both have ones that haven't been updated lately).

Well for me, I try to make card(s) that do stuff other members of the archetype don't do, while sometimes trying to stay consistent with the archetype's theme. Let's say the Draconus has an archetype short on means of Special Summoning that have effects that can destroy themselves. I then make a member that can Special Summon 1 from the hand with an optional destruction effect. I focus on practicality first, and everything else later.

Though I think with how the rules are now, I'd be happier posting a new legacy support thread. The design notes rule was absurd at the time I made my first Legacy Support thread. But as they are now, I can probably start a clean slate. Or at least better organise any support I make. Though first I should post my Emissary set, as I generally finished it.

It's probably better if you just make a new one and just carry on from there (more like a "Batch 3" or something, especially since we've gotten a lot more archetypes and stuff since then).

====

[spoiler=Design stuff]

Disclaimer:

Anything written in here is not intended to be criticism of members, though with the state of YCM as it is now, fresh blood in CC (and the site by extension) is declining.

As for the notes thing, you can generally attribute it to Black for posing the idea at the time [in 2016], though I ended up implementing it. Was intended to make people explain thoughts in words so (1) you don't throw it in without thinking it over and (2) help others understand what you're doing as not everyone has the same level of competence in the game as you. I use the academic analogy to describe it, but...yeah, I made them optional after consideration (you may provide them if you wish, but not required).

You still have to show that you know what you're doing though, but for the most part, you guys know how to design properly.

There may be times where you unintentionally break something in design and some of the regulars rip you to shreds [even in Casual where design standards are off], but that's probably a consequence from the atmosphere fostered pre-Zextra/me in CC (and some of the vets acquiring an elitist attitude in design) and likely keeping Casual bound to similar rules until the end of last year.

Obviously we're all not going to be masters at knowing what the hell is going on in the competitive game and avoid making something that will be inevitably abused by Sky Striker or something. Everyone here has a different design mentality; some feel that giving weaker Decks a big power card is too much (even if they suck), others are of the mindset that Decks should be at the same power level so they can be workable. You just do what you think works for design, but exercise appropriate discretion.

Starting work on Frigates.

Frigate

A Rank 9 engine of WATER Machines whose destruction effects mandatorily trigger when used as Xyz material. Fairly straightforward. They try to swarm the field and Xyz to pop 2 opponent's cards at a time. It is their Xyzs and Spell lineup where things get interesting.

The main Xyz is the simplest to summon, "only" needing 2 level 9s, but on-summon it searches out their primary playmaker: the enigmatic "Rank-Across-Magic" cards that make up a good portion of their Deck (credit to @Toyo for the idea of Rank-Across-Magics). RAM cards enable the deck to reach the higher material Rank 9s (3+ level 9 monsters). Their playstyle is a King-of-the-Hill style play, protecting the single monster with the RAMs (preventing targeting), and the Monsters' effects (the Xyzs giving each other different protection effects and the MD monsters triggering their destruction effects over and over whenever they are Rank'd Across). Even on the off chance the opponent takes them down quickly, they have a RAM that lets them revive and Rank Across, immediately letting them continue their shenanigans.

Best thing? Unlike other King of the Hill play decks, the 2 level 9 Frigate offers Tribute protection, stopping those pesky Kaijus from ruining your fun.

I honestly can't wait for October. The Deck Challenge I have lined up is one of my personal favorites, and in fact I had been thinking about putting together an AGM Decklist myself, as a sample during the October Challenge . . . but, to be honest, I can't decide between a few really interesting options.

I still gotta look for a general theme that will work in AGM's Master Rule 3 format, but yeah, time / university isn't cooperative and so are other factors. As I've already mentioned a few times beforehand, I have to work on Link-oriented archetypes because that's the reality of the current game right now (and not knowing how Links work is detrimental to my job as the CC mod).

I would put Psyshock Striker and Skystorm Mecha up for consideration in here, however you would have to make an exclusion clause saying "barring the Link Members" (as opposed to listing every member by name). Right now, they aren't specifically geared towards Links and can easily adapt to other stuff, but yeah, I won't. 

===

However, I would like to have U.A. added to the pool if we don't have it already.

===

[spoiler=On a sidenote...]

Draco, you may want to hurry up with your 5K post soon before the Archetype Game gets shifted over and the bump makes you miss that milestone. I say this because not many of you reach that goal nowadays (least in your generation), and think you want to attain it naturally.

So yeah, might as well go participate in the other game threads and stuff (maybe review stuff outside AGM...); all of those would help you accumulate stuff faster.

I mean, you can understand the basic concept and design tenets of Links without going out of your way to make the things. I don't make Links, but I can tell when they're gonna be good, and I get how they synergize with their archetype (when they are archetypal). Maybe it's just me, but I don't see much of a point to designing them when they're unnecessary.

That'd go against the way the rest of the exception text works, but I could look them over.

As for U.A., that makes the queue as follows:

Majespecter (2/3 - Sakura, Nyx)

lswarm, bar Origin and Ophion (2/4 - Nyx, Dova)

Qli, bar Genius (2/3 - Dova, Sakura)

Lightsworn, bar Curious (1/3 - Kyumi)

Thunder Dragon (2/3 - Tinkerer, Sakura)

Iron Chain (1/3 - Tinkerer)

U.A. (1/3 - Sakura)

This updated queue does feature Yosenju being added, given that, without floodgates, Sawatari's prime archetype is not as effective at trolling.

As for Post #5000, it was just going to be a comparison thread for Five Headed Dragon. If I miss it, just like I missed 4000, it's just going to be one less thread that gets almost entirely ignored.

Okay, I'll delay a look until you've got their respective threads cleaned up.

So, I've been working on a fun little side project where its 17 Main Deck monsters are based on an assemblage of the better effects from members of the archetypes reviewed for Legacy of the Worthless (including the Worm mistake video), but Venoms and Vehicroids both hilariously lack any monster effects that the rest of the archetype in progress wants (although I managed to find at least 2 solid effects in every other LotW archetype that could have a restriction or two lopped off or slight alteration made to make it synergize).

Think I better note this now, but T.G. did get a Link in Trident Launcher, so...exclusion text time. (Screw Serpent is fine as it's really only SSing sheet and changing Levels). IDK if they'll get more Links outside Trident, but they're still workable without them.

But yeah, I need to step up my support game for them and Elementsabers as far as AGM goes.

As did Shiranui, but I know that that thing will have its name changed when it gets here, to fit the "S" theme naming. T.G. got exception text now, though.

Honestly, I'd like to see how you handle AGM archetypes or member side projects more often, but if you're determined to make Elementsaber and T.G. support, nobody's gonna stop you.

Archived