TCG Metagame Discussion

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

but yeah seriously this guy's list was one of the most optimised versions of any deck I have ever seen. I am seriously tempted to netdeck it, actually. 

It's literally the standard build.

Most interesting deck is Clownblade, he had excellent meta calls and only lost due to bricking off a Maxx instead of drawing into one of 8 outs remaining in deck. 

• 3 weeks later...

http://articles.alterealitygames.com/top-32-ycs-dallas-shaddoll-deck-explained/

So this seems to be the latest innovation in Shaddoll deckbuilding. I find this build kinda cool for all sorts of reasons. The lack of Mathman means you're not obliged to play shitty Shekhinaga which frees up an extra space which he replaced with Stardust, which makes a lot of sense because Dark Hole/Raigeki really is terrible for you. Obviously the main draw of the Warrior engine is the ability to unbrick hands with Blazeman into Poly, because the deck really sucks without a Fusion Spell and is really amazing when it has one. The other thing of note is his concession to Retaliating "C", which really does show how amazingly strong the card is.

Unless you want to play Debunk it's more or less impossible to get round. The only consolation is that people almost never main it (and probably won't ever main it, especially with how big Kozmo is now), and they actually need to draw into it. It really is totally devastating if they have it, though.

Hi, instead of complaining about what the banlist is and isn't let's talk about what's good and what isn't now.

I've been testing, watching and talking a bit and my rough tier list is something like

Kozmo

Majespecter (maybe?)

(Minerva LS)

Good

Infernoid

HERO (maybe?)

BA (maybe?)

OK

Tellarknights

Prophecy

Yang Zing

PSY-Frame

Mermail

This is all very early and I don't really have all that much evidence for, well, anything, but certainly Kozmo look to be by far the best deck, unsurprisingly, and I think LS deserve to be up there as well because of Trishula plus the fact that the deck is just really really good. Majespecter I really have no idea about, I feel like they're pretty easy to side against/play around but they do seem awfully good, we'll have to wait and see on that one. Infernoid were probably the second-best deck to get hit, they struggle against Kozmo but do seem stronger than everything else, plus pretty good against Majespecter. HERO, Yang Zing, PSY-Frame and Mermail I put into positions of roughly how good they were before the list as they more or less weren't touched, although I do feel Yang Zing is maybe a little better than PSY-Frame and Mermail. Prophecy are only there because they have by far the best Dark Destroyer out of any deck, as well as being fairly solid in general as they're back to pretty much full strength and decks don't seem all that much more powerful than they were back when the deck was viable. 

As I said, this is just me with a tiny bit of testing and spectating, this is nothing like official or anywhere close to what I imagine it will be, just some preliminary ideas. Thoughts on the rankings/other decks I may have missed?

HERO will probably make more of a showing post-BOSH.

CDI is a huge boost to the deck, and it can certainly use Rafflesia, so you have good locking potential alongside Dark Law. IDK if they're good for now, though.

I'd definitely say Majespecter v Kozmo is extremely T1 dependent.

If Majespecter get set up first, they win, because Tempest outplays Kozmo entirely. Barring an E-Tele + small guy draw, which certainly isn't impossible.

If Kozmo go first, one big guy and Majespecter are funked unless they find Luster Pendulum ASAP.

I don't think it's favorable for Kozmo, but Kozmo do have the chance of an "auto-win" against Majespecter.

Magicians change thigns somewhat in a month, as well.

Hi, instead of complaining about what the banlist is and isn't let's talk about what's good and what isn't now.

I've been testing, watching and talking a bit and my rough tier list is something like

Kozmo

Majespecter (maybe?)

(Minerva LS)

Good

Infernoid

HERO (maybe?)

BA (maybe?)

OK

Tellarknights

Prophecy

Yang Zing

PSY-Frame

Mermail

This is all very early and I don't really have all that much evidence for, well, anything, but certainly Kozmo look to be by far the best deck, unsurprisingly, and I think LS deserve to be up there as well because of Trishula plus the fact that the deck is just really really good. Majespecter I really have no idea about, I feel like they're pretty easy to side against/play around but they do seem awfully good, we'll have to wait and see on that one. Infernoid were probably the second-best deck to get hit, they struggle against Kozmo but do seem stronger than everything else, plus pretty good against Majespecter. HERO, Yang Zing, PSY-Frame and Mermail I put into positions of roughly how good they were before the list as they more or less weren't touched, although I do feel Yang Zing is maybe a little better than PSY-Frame and Mermail. Prophecy are only there because they have by far the best Dark Destroyer out of any deck, as well as being fairly solid in general as they're back to pretty much full strength and decks don't seem all that much more powerful than they were back when the deck was viable. 

As I said, this is just me with a tiny bit of testing and spectating, this is nothing like official or anywhere close to what I imagine it will be, just some preliminary ideas. Thoughts on the rankings/other decks I may have missed?

And STILL nothing with my SHS deck, even with the new support. It's doomed to never be top tier, isn't it?

Mermail is surprising to me. Are they that good?

Yeah, to be honest I'm not entirely convinced by Majespecter as a top deck. They only have 12 monsters so there's a risk of not drawing any, or only drawing one or two of the mediocre ones which is not really much better. They're weak to scale destruction and can't out Forerunner/Dark Destroyer a lot of the time, as well as losing to floodgates like Mistake, ASF and Skill Drain. We'll see about them. Also, I forgot 15/2 or Clownblade or Rank 4 Spam or whatever you want to call them, they're probably at "good" level as well.

Mermail is surprising to me. Are they that good?

Norden is good in Mermail like no other deck, I really don't know quite how good they'll be but with other decks toned down a lot I imagine they could end up being viable.

Similar to the build on the last page that topped Dallas, but possibly without the Heroics and with some Inari Fire/more Eaters. And without Retaliating "C" obviously.

edit: The deck in this vid is similar to what I mean. Mkohl calls it "possessed" but I think 15/2 sounds cooler

edit 2: nvm, this guy actually played Unpossessed and Familiar Posessed - Wyn. huh

Do Yang Zing run the pendulums, by the way? Jiaotu into 2 pendulums into Ignister+fodder might not be so bad.

Not sure about it because against any other deck Baxia is a better Ingnister anyway, and the level 3 Zefra really does suck. 

How effective is HEROes against Kozmo, actually? While Dark Law prevents floating, it doesn't seem like it'll actually threaten Kozmo.

I'm pretty sure they just lose to it unless they can go first and have sufficient backrow to stop them resolving the little guys.

I've played a Deck like "Possessed"/"15/2" before. Deck is bonkers because you can just throw your hand onto the field, search mores stuff, make additional plays, etc. It's a fun Deck because of how funking crazy it is, if it's given the chance to make it's plays. Unpossessed lets them all float, in addition to Jigabyte shenanigans, and Inari and Eater can just play off eachother, etc. Possessed Wyn is just because it's WIND, and Unpossesed lets you Summon a Spellcaster with 1500 DEF if a monster you control is destroyed, provided, it has a different Attribute. So because Jiga, Inari, and Eater are WATER/FIRE/EARTH respectively, it makes sense that to include the one monster that you could Summon off of any of those monsters.

Plus.... Unpossessed gives it +800 ATK if it attacks something, so boosting it to 2650 is nice.

^ and if you need more firepower, you could Unpossessed into Injection Fairy Lily

...But that's neither here nor there. To be honest, I think Majespecter could be very threatening. I mean, yeah, you could side in all the floodgates, but if you beat them game 2, wouldn't they just go first and set things up game 3? Or am I overestimating their speed?

On another, but not a totally unrelated note, wouldn't it be kinda hilarious for a Majespecter deck to become a Psyframe deck through siding? Not likely considering the number of cards needed to swap, but I could definitely see it being a surprise regional topper if someone could get decent card ratios down.

Archived