This Website and Exclusivity

Makο

I've barley managed to get by on this site. I was more or less aware of events dome here like the Easter egg hinting and masquerade but I never really thought it was a good idea for me to participate in it, kinda felt like I would get in the way of older members so to speak. I do notice a divide between newer and older members since they don't really interact with each other. Some older members usually make a lot of references to stuff that they only know of and it leaves newer members in the dark. Well I'm not sure about the existence of cliques but I do kinda see them when stuff goes down. Well I've been on this site since early 2013 but I was in active for more than a year. I came back during mid 2014 but I don't really think much has changed. I know there are some newer and regular members that are active here but its out of proportion when compared to the number of senior and legendary members. I think it would be a good idea to male a group for newer members or something. I'm sure there are several ways to be more inclusive but I can't really think of much.

I've barley managed to get by on this site. I was more or less aware of events dome here like the Easter egg hinting and masquerade but I never really thought it was a good idea for me to participate in it, kinda felt like I would get in the way of older members so to speak. I do notice a divide between newer and older members since they don't really interact with each other. Some older members usually make a lot of references to stuff that they only know of and it leaves newer members in the dark. Well I'm not sure about the existence of cliques but I do kinda see them when stuff goes down. Well I've been on this site since early 2013 but I was in active for more than a year. I came back during mid 2014 but I don't really think much has changed. I know there are some newer and regular members that are active here but its out of proportion when compared to the number of senior and legendary members. I think it would be a good idea to male a group for newer members or something. I'm sure there are several ways to be more inclusive but I can't really think of much.

Or how about you step out of your comfort zone and do something. You are talking about not participating or getting to know people because everyone else already does, but you haven't said anything about warranting yourself to be a part of that.

Get involved in the events. Ask what jokes people are talking about.

Literally everything you said could be changed just by making yourself inclusive and not waiting for everyone else to do that for you.

Maybe an FAQ on events and stuff can help. Also I forgot to add that I kinda gave up on the TGC. I've haven't played competitively since I was 11. I tried getting back into the game last year but too much has changed. A simple match on DN demonstrated that. (Apparently you can't draw on your first turn now -_-). I suppose TEW can help me catch up but he left.

Okay, this is gonna be long.

I guess you could say I'm newish still, since it hasn't even been a year since I first joined, and I spent the first couple months being pretty inactive. I joined because one of my friends showed me an RP on this site. When I first joined that RP chat, I felt intimidated, because as a newbie, I only knew my friend, and nobody else. And I was better off than most newcomers who don't even have anybody. Chats can be scary for newcomers. For the first few months I participated in them, I'd feel shy and insecure if my friend wasn't in that chat as well.

I've participated in plenty of forums, but the only forum I've been in that's even more exclusive than this one is Something Awful, which is known for its pretentiousness. And yeah, that's mainly because this forum consists of closer-knit people, which has its ups and downs. As someone who's been in multiple groups like this, I can safely say that it's a good thing, having a place that feels like family. However, this is intimidating for newcomers, who feel left out whenever somebody says something like, "Oh, do you remember back when Pika--?" Now, references and in-jokes aren't bad, but that's just a natural consequence of making them around those that don't understand.

I don't even remember how many times I got fed up and thought about leaving this site. Feeling welcome here has been an uphill climb this whole time. But I decided to stick with it, because by then, I'd met a few great people through the RP section that made sticking around worth it. And I'm glad I did it, because not only have I met more awesome people, but I've gotten closer with the friends I already had here.

I'm still pretty unknown, and most people here couldn't care less about anything I have to say (and probably won't read this), but that doesn't matter to me. To me, it's the bonds I've forged (to make a FE reference) that matter, not my "status" as a newbie or whatever.

So my advice to fellow newbies is, most of the people here are awesome, you just have to stick around and get to know them.

Also, to those making excuses about not being able to participate in events because they're too new... Sure, you're probably not going to do as well as older members, but that doesn't stop you from trying still. Even better, participating usually gets you more familiar with this place. For instance, the Easter event, which got me to explore YCM outside of my usual haunts. And the recent Halloween event, where I interacted with a few monsters and learned more about the participating members here than I had before.

I legitimately believe this would just widen the gap between them and the majority of the community.

No, I think there definitely is something to this idea. You are right in that it won't really fix the exclusivity stand (at least, to start off), but it will make things more attractive to newcomers in general.

Let's say that you are in the group until you become level 4. At that point, you are relatively familiar with the site and have a respectable post count, but you'd probably still have a soft spot for the newcomer group. In that way, it will bring up a more inclusive generation of users who both: 1. Have friends amongst themselves to keep them interested in YCM, and 2. Are willing to help/advise/include the members in the newcomer group due to the time they spent in it.

Unfortunately, what this does do is push out the older/currently established generation of YCMers... Buuuuuut... I feel as though I may be correct in the assumption that they wouldn't care as much (being already established and all).

So I'm an oldie at this point, but I became active in late 2011 and by then groups like what people are referring to had already formed. But the thing is is that I joined the forum for a reason- I liked making cards and wanted to write a fic- and I may have slipped up on the rules a few times but Rinne was a great mod just offering reminders and stuff for CW and just reading the rules got me past that. So it's basically just been my experience (and I've noticed this from others) that if a new member is active and posting about something they're interested and keep an open mind, people will notice them and interact with them to the point where they'll become a staple of the community. All it really takes is some effort.

Also I do agree with any sort of initiative to get new members to interact with each other while allowing older members to throw intheir two cents. Part of how I became part of the site was just that there were people that joined the same time I did that were cool.

That and everyone thinking I was a mage alt.

In all honesty, I think a public chatroom would make a suitable replacement for Misc and Statuses both. I mean, those two combined practically have the same effect as a chatroom.

Dont you dare take Misc from me it's all I have.

Or how about you step out of your comfort zone and do something. You are talking about not participating or getting to know people because everyone else already does, but you haven't said anything about warranting yourself to be a part of that.

Get involved in the events. Ask what jokes people are talking about.

Literally everything you said could be changed just by making yourself inclusive and not waiting for everyone else to do that for you.

omg Dae sometimes I'm really happy you're here. This is exactly what I was going to post.

Anyway I guess...I should post here. Being as I was here in 2011 for a whole month or so and then left for years and only have been around for 1-2 years.

The way I got more known was by posting wherever I felt like it without worrying that people would ignore/dislike me. I commented on statuses, replied to people, made some threads myself. That's how it is on a forum like this. People form cliques because that's what people do when they get into a group. Eventually they start talking and making friends with certain people. It may seem intimidating but it's really not. If someone here actually completely denies your right to try and participate then get a mod on their ass or something because that's not cool.

Basically, we shouldn't need to do any more than a good school might do to get a new transfer student integrated into the class.

Have them introduce themselves, suggest things for them to do and groups to talk to based on their interests, and leave it to them to decide if they're going to do it or not.

If they're not up to the task, unlike a school, they can leave and go somewhere else with no problem.

Two things could be done, ideally both, for this problem.

First that Newbie Guide/FAQ should be written up and we'll put it where it's easily visible and accessible. If we can alter the post-sign-up screen or the validation email, that would be great. Then, we should put it in the Questions Forum, and probably CC as well in super visible font or button. Plus we should also have it as one of the Tabs up top and remove the Calendar, because we don't need the Calendar. Newbie Guide needs to be super concise and should have pictures. It would detail how to get involved and included in the community. Something like that. This is easier.

Then we'll see about making stuff like contests, tournaments, and everything accessible to newbies. Try to encourage them to join, like comment on their cards and ask them if they want to join without being too confrontational.

Archived