Sion's School of Misfit SPPs [Interest Check, Planning]

This is still very much in the planning stages. An application and rules and such will be posted at a later time, but I wanted to get the RP premise down first.

[spoiler=History/Plot]• In the beginning, the Universe was aimless. Massless. A void.

• The Creators, beings in a higher plane than our own, were aware of the formless darkness that was to be our Universe. Though most creators cared not, two young ones, Arrish and Krayak, wished to play a game. The formless Universe became their board and the beings inside became their pieces.

• The duo found the game lackluster, however, and instead decided to add aspects of themselves to this universe. Arrish created a shining blue crystal (Pemalyte) while Krayak created a red one (Rolyte). They split the crystal into many, many pieces and scattered them across the Universe.

• As the worlds around became more advanced, creatures touched the crystals. The ones that were strong of body and spirit survived the radiation the crystals spread and became SPPs, Super-Powered People.

• Gaia (Earth) was particularly ripe with the crystals from the creators and became quite a promising location for SPP from all around the galaxy.

• Now, millennia after the first recorded Gaian SPP (Gilgamesh), SPP live everywhere. There are several institutions across the planet that focus on teaching SPPs how to control their powers and become the best of themselves as they pursue their goals across the Universe.

• In particular, the 11 institutions would involve themselves in a Galactic Challenge on the planet Durma. This challenge would occur every 16 human years and it involves each participating school across the galaxy to send in a team of their students to fight for fame for their school.

• Sion’s School of Misfit SPPs (an institute founded within the past century by a rich SPP on an island in what is known on Earth as Cape Verde), made an impressive showing at the last Galactic Challenge, coming in fourth overall out of the hundreds of thousands of schools entering. ...This despite the fact that, as the school's name suggests, most of the students have awful/limited powers. With this achievement, the school had received a huge financial reward and an enormous number of new applicants. However, it also became the target of ire for many schools across the galaxy and particularly the ones on Gaia.

• With less than a year until the next Galactic Challenge, the school is hosting its own competition to decide on the team to send to Durma. However, things are not going entirely as planned. Sion, the headmaster of the school, and several quality teachers have vanished and several of the school’s facilities were vandalized. The remaining staff have pulled together under the temporary speaking headmistress, Orata and declared that the students who find the headmaster and remaining staff will be put into heavy consideration for the team to Durma.

[spoiler=SPP Natural Abilities]SPPs all have certain common aspects in common. The following are innate SPP abilities:

• Above average strength: A being-turned-SPP usually gains a 100+% increase in strength. Ie. An average human SPP can bench 300+ pounds.

• Above average speed/endurance: Same as strength. Speed is often increased by 100% and the SPP's endurance is usually tripled. Ie. a cheetah-turned-SPP can often outpace a train and can keep up the pace for several miles before tiring.

• Durability/Enhanced healing: SPPs can take a beating better than the average of its species. In the case of a human, skin becomes thick and tough enough to shrug off a couple small firearm rounds at low impact. Healing is also enhanced to roughly double the normal rate. SPPs also often resist viruses and can often heal from them within a few days, even potent viruses.

• Natural Survivability: SPPs can live in a much wider temperature range than their usual species (up to 4x hotter and colder than usual). They can hold their breath 4-5x longer than average, jump 4-5x higher, live in toxic areas (ie. Venus), and have slightly enhanced vision/smell/hearing.

• Enhanced brainpower/Enlarged brain: Oddly, this isn't as consistent among species. All get a boost in overall brain power, but those beings that have significantly small brains/low brainpower are greatly endowed so that they are fully capable of understanding their potential.

• 100% Mode: A last ditch mode known by near all SPPs. They can remove their limits temporarily to gain enormous power. When this happens, they lose control over themselves for a few minutes, but oftentimes that's enough. Their body is heavily impacted by this mode and leaves them unable to move for a while afterwards.

What time period are we looking at, and what are some life basics in that time? (i.e. Form of Travel might still be vehicles or Teleportation devices)

Gaia is synonymous to Earth, but because of the involvement of SPPs over the course of history, mankind has advanced faster.  The year is translated to be the same as our year, 2016, but Gaians had an established written calendar a couple millennia before that, so the Gaian year is 4216.

Question: do animal SPPs turn humanoid when turned, or do they remain fully animal?

It can go either way.  Here's a little spoiler though, since you brought that up: the medical professional and professor of microbiology of Sion's School is an ant that has retained most of its original form (including size).  His superpower... shrinking.

Thanks for the questions.  When I update the OP, I'll make sure to put this info in!

Other than humans and animals, are there going to be other races, such as mermaids and aliens?

I mean, aliens were mentioned, so that's a given.  Considering the success of the school in the last Galactic Challenge, aliens wanting to attend the school wouldn't be unlikely.  As for mythical creatures, I would say "no", however the crystals mutations can give odd results.  I won't say that there are overwhelming numbers of mythical creatures, but the mutations into mythical forms wouldn't necessarily be out of the question.  I'll try to outline species better when I put up the app.

Ugh... So much interest in this and I realize I am too busy irl to run this.

Unfortunately, I have to put this idea on standby as things gear up for me irl. I'll probably be free to do this in a couple weeks, but not now. I'll leave this open for questions, but once I get around to actually making this a thing, I'll remake the thread with the app/plot stuff/rules/etc.

Sorry for the inconvenience...

Archived