Nirvana High Paladin

It really doesn't.

Decks run Archfiend Eccentrick is a generic card, at times. Yes, it goes to the ED instead, but it still has basic purposes that are the same as any other monster, but with an extra drawback that is akin to banishing. It's just a matter of understanding mechanics and implications of them.

The general point is that being a Pendulum just gives them extra effects overall, where they have versatility in what they do. They're better in some places, like Tuners, and worse in others, but the general purpose still exists, and they can mostly still exist as generic monsters with a drawback when they die. It's just an "Effect" that the "Pendulum" effect adds, but doesn't completely change how it's played.

The fact remains is that being a Pendulum still has an actual effect on the card that Type, Attribute and Tuner doesn't. Yes, the benefits of that outway the downsides in most situations, but them going to the Extra Deck not Graveyard still changes the card.

Maybe this is me just being pedantic, but Pendulum feels less like Tuner and more close to Gemini or Spirit except the additional effects the subtype brings benefit the card way more than they hinder it.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I mean, I guess it's more fair to say that Pendulum and Tuner are keywords like Piercing, they just have themed support in addition to that.

The term has implications, but it, for the most part, functions like a shortened effect. Tuner moreso, yes, but the point remains.

congratulations, as a player of a different card game you understand basic ideas

YGO players have trouble with this idea, and will insist a card is bad because its effects are bad/it's a vanilla. A recent example being Performapal Swing Cobra. Another being Death the Mourning Wind, because no one thought of it as a generic card, instead seeing it as an "okay" Blackwing. And so on.

Who said Normal Monsters are bad? >_>

They have their own use and purpose, you can do a lot with Normal Monsters, Look at those with 100 ATK and 2000 Def Lv1 Normal Monsters, You can do lot of Combos with them.

Monsters with Negative effects can still be a thing, best example, once You Normal Summon "Boar Soldier" and it gets destroyed, you grant the Special Summon of Mecklord Emperors.

Ultimately, honestly, this card isn't that great; and it doesn't so much have to do with its effect. Teen Spirit Paladin suffers a very similar problem to Number 100, but to a much lesser degree: It's just very impractical to summon, and for any deck that can summon it is just going to have better options to go for. Pretty hilarious and sad at the same time when you see players like Azneyes WAY overhype this card. Its effect, stats, and impact really are not bad; but summoning this card is too much of a chore.

Ultimately, honestly, this card isn't that great; and it doesn't so much have to do with its effect. Teen Spirit Paladin suffers a very similar problem to Number 100, but to a much lesser degree: It's just very impractical to summon, and for any deck that can summon it is just going to have better options to go for. Pretty hilarious and sad at the same time when you see players like Azneyes WAY overhype this card. Its effect, stats, and impact really are not bad; but summoning this card is too much of a chore.

Lv. 4 Tuner + Lv. 4 Monster/Pendulum + Trump Girl isn't really impractical tbh.

cards like death/masked chameleon make it better, by virtue of being more luster/more versatile tuners

I don't think it's some game breaking monster, but it's playable and it does give you any card back, which can be important. Most notably, it just clears the board and rewards using Trump Girl, who was already close to playable thanks to Phoenix and Unicorn existing.

Lv. 4 Tuner + Lv. 4 Monster/Pendulum + Trump Girl isn't really impractical tbh.

cards like death/masked chameleon make it better, by virtue of being more luster/more versatile tuners

I don't think it's some game breaking monster, but it's playable and it does give you any card back, which can be important. Most notably, it just clears the board and rewards using Trump Girl, who was already close to playable thanks to Phoenix and Unicorn existing.

Well, fair enough that P-Pals at least can use this with relative ease. I guess a lot of me putting down this card has to do with an internal backlash to the unbelievable hype this card immediately received; I just have a hard time believing that, in a deck that can summon something like this, why wouldn't you sooner just go for Crystal Wing, or put in the effort for a Stardust Warrior. It's not bad by any means; I just find it hard to think of a good reason that I would go for this over something else in the wide collection of solid Synchro bosses.

Well, fair enough that P-Pals at least can use this with relative ease. I guess a lot of me putting down this card has to do with an internal backlash to the unbelievable hype this card immediately received; I just have a hard time believing that, in a deck that can summon something like this, why wouldn't you sooner just go for Crystal Wing, or put in the effort for a Stardust Warrior. It's not bad by any means; I just find it hard to think of a good reason that I would go for this over something else in the wide collection of solid Synchro bosses.

well the summoning conditions are totally different from the cards you mentioned so there's that

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind it will at least be run, and used when possible. However the question then becomes a matter of "exactly how often is 'if possible/optimal' in your build?" I don't think people want to do any major reworks for their builds, but replacing some of the lost stuff from the ban list with things to more consistently make Paladin (e.g. The aforementioned trump girl) is not the worst of ideas.

So in summary, it's nowhere even remotely close to dedicating your deck to (a la Quasar decks even if quasar isn't nearly as big a threat anymore), but it will no doubt see play, and will more often than not be dropped turn 2-4 in order to secure game, if possible, early out. Otherwise, the card kinda falls out of glory by being a big stick and speaking very softly

Archived