Orlando, Florida mass shooting. 50 dead, 53 wounded

Slinky

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's a first generation American, too. And a Democrat. Oh joy.

He shot up a gay club called Pulse in Orlando.

The pain of watching, helplessly, as more of our fellow human compatriots are slain or injured is nigh unbearable. The sadness of seeing so many innocent humans go down to unkindness, not specifically to the weapons used, but to the unkindness and manipulation of humanity.

I really hate to bring up gun laws in the wake of this, but maybe there will be more of an effort to actually make sure these kind of people don't get firearms after this. Doubt it, but one can hope.

Still, R.I.P to those who died. Since it was a gay nightclub, I have to wonder if this could also have some elements of a hate crime to it, as well as any potential terrorist link if they conclude there is any.

Lord have mercy.  I pray that this doesn't turn into a political stupor.  So many people are grieving right now and it's just sad.

It's going to eventually. It always happens. It's sad, but it's true.

Yeah, with the triple whammy of LGBT context, guns, and religion, I'd be wary of this thread not turning into a hot mess. Just a preliminary reminder.

Horrific. Absolutely horrific. Not really sure what to say. Gotta get my thoughts together. Shootings are exhaustingly unjust and are becoming uncomfortably more common.

My worry is that people will retaliate, and it'll become something much bigger. The white people will think "Those darn muslims shooting up our clubs! I'll show 'em who's boss! Time to make America great again!!!!" and then the Muslims will think "Those darn white people prejudicing us! I'll show 'em who's boss! Allahu Akbar!"

And that's exactly what terrorists want.

Also, this is racist, but I would advise being careful around both whites and muslims (maybe just in Florida, but potentially in other places), not because either are at fault, but because of the tension. Stay safe until it simmers down. Then it would be a good idea to help out.

E.g., there's a Ramadan dinner at a local Mosque that I was considering going to, but it may not be a good idea now because there could be white terrorists hoping to retaliate.

Unfortunately, that may not work, since people might not survive until this simmers down. It's a risk you take, I suppose.

...um, who doesn't, at this point?

You're a bit late to that party.

I don't funking care what your justification is. Comments like that are a part of the reason LGBT people like myself still live with fear and worry for their own security and wellbeing.

Go slink off with your tail between your legs, and take a long hard look on how bitter you must be to feel that.

I've decided it's better to just accept the hatred and let it become a part of me instead of trying to change what I know can't be changed.

I've always thought you were relatively intelligent as far as the YCM community goes.  But this is bullshit and you know it.

I've always thought you were relatively intelligent as far as the YCM community goes. But this is bullshit and you know it.

Most of the stuff he says is utter bullshit (why I blocked him a while ago but still have to see his stuff quoted).

This is part of why I'm glad to live in Canada, though also dismays me considering the state of the country.

Let's get back on the topic of all the people who just died and crucify Snatch Steal later, mkay?

Doesn't seem like it's been mentioned here yet that this is the deadliest mass shooting in US history, which is a big funking deal given how (unfortunately) often this sheet happens. Ignoring the race/religion/sexual orientation factors, a man just killed a whole goddamn lot of people. I sincerely hope this shooting will be the one that was finally big enough for the government to actually DO something about it. It's absolutely ludicrous how a country like America STILL has these shootings so often after it's been happening for so long.

As for the race/religion/sexual orientation stuff... it shouldn't matter WHO was being shot at, 50 people died and that's horrible regardless. The fact that it was gay bar is relevant only in that it was motivation for the killer. As for him, he was Muslim. From what I've seen, it looks like the FBI have been saying he might have had ties to some terrorist group, but they aren't sure. This is certainly domestic terrorism, regardless. Anyway, I just want to put it out there that the conclusion people reach from this shouldn't be "Muslims are evil and we should ban them from the country." Yes, this shooting was horrible. Yes, there have been terrorist acts by ISIS and other Muslim groups happening. But are all the millions and millions of Muslims in the Middle East or coming to Western countries for safety evil? No. Is the number of terrorists among them more than a tiny fraction? We have no proof, but it's incredibly unlikely. (Bit of a side note- a whole bunch of school shootings have been perpetrated by white boys, and you don't see anyone wanting to keep white guys out of schools.) So, what people should get out of this is that we need to do something to stop things like this from happening again, regardless of who it is that wants to start shooting.

Oh boy we're off to a great start aren't we?

As I flip through the news as this develops, it seems that this is going to be ruled as an act of terrorism. The FBI is still tearing through his life, but so far they seemed to have found a pretty conclusive trend towards that conclusion. But take everything you hear in the next few hours with a grain of salt.

Oh boy we're off to a great start aren't we?

As I flip through the news as this develops, it seems that this is going to be ruled as an act of terrorism. The FBI is still tearing through his life, but so far they seemed to have found a pretty conclusive trend towards that conclusion. But take everything you hear in the next few hours with a grain of salt.

With a grain of salt? What does that mean? 

As in the media and police have to sift through rumors and evidence, and there's just as a whole a ton of unknowns sitting in a ton of chaos, so don't accept any information you hear as fact until it is actually confirmed as such. Instead acknowledge it as unconfirmed speculation.

Update: apparently officials in LA just apprehended a suspect carrying a ludicrous amount of firepower and materials that can be used to manufacture explosives. It was reported that his destination was the LGBTQ Pride Festival that is being held today in LA. Should all this be true, it could have potentially been a massacre on an entirely different scale. Not only that, but this might be part of a larger picture, as both targets were highly populated pro-LGBT areas. Scary stuff

13445248_1049855871773696_81314207694653

In what is described as a hail of gunfire, an Orlando (FL) PD SWAT officer took a round to his ballistic helmet while he and his team made entry into the nightclub and killed the POS responsible for the attack. The helmet did its job, and the officer escaped with non-life threatening injuries.

(Bit of a side note- a whole bunch of school shootings have been perpetrated by white boys) 

Completely erroneous and without regard for demographics. If you want to go ahead and make political statements then okay, but it's hilarious that the same people saying "HOW MANY MORE LIVES" will then instantly backtrack and justify the cult that wants to kill all the gays, women who aren't covered from head to toe, and general infidels. So long as you do the deaths will keep on rolling in. What are the alternatives? Ban gay clubs for being Islamophobic? Gun control is reasonable, but they purchased their weapons legally and restrictions certainly didn't seem to stop them in Paris(not to mention the homemade bombs and knives alone used to carry out the Boston Bombing).

Most refugees, obviously, are not members of ISIS. This hasn't negated the fact that they've sent sexual assault and crime rates skyrocketing in their areas and that their culture is in direct opposition to modern ideals of the West(not killing those you disagree with being the primary one). If you want to mourn and then say that people need to take action, immediately eliminating the option to take action against the root cause is incredibly nonproductive.

For one snatch is gay, so this just goes to show how eager y'all are for some blood if you're going after him for being sarcastic

That being said, Islam is a religion that is deeply invested to remaining in 1000AD. Yes there are "progressive" Muslims just like there are Black Republicans. It's a minority.

Trump warned us that Islam by large was at war with the west, and now Innocent Americans are paying the iron price for it. I don't need to make it political. It was political the minute our blind president refused to admit what lay before him on some attempt to be "progressive"

Islam is not and will likely never be progressive, till people realize that, more of this will happen

But by all means, the problem is with the guns. Nothing else is amiss here

I believe the perp was born and raised in the US. So I have no idea where Obama comes into this in terms of Islam and the perp. Because he had been living in the country for years before Obama even ran for office. Obama didn't bring this guy into the nation through any policy he made. 

I also believe as of yet there is no proof this attack had any religious motivations. There is an alleged call that NBC reported on that the perp claimed he was doing it for ISIS, but I've not seen that corroborated anywhere myself. Which means the possibility this was just a hate crime instead of islamic fundamentalism is still there.

I've also read, haven't seen the source myself so take a hint of salt, but I've read that this guy actually obtained his guns through legal channels. And used an assualt Rifle. Which you know kinda hammers home the gun law arguments people commonly make, because this isn't the case of someone skirting the law - It's the law that allowed this guy to get the weapons to commit such an act. 

But take that whole paragraph with a pinch of salt because it seems way too perfect. 

And even if you do assign the cause of this to be Islamic fundamentalism - This is what the third major attack on US soil since and including 9/11? Contrast that to the 15 mass Shootings Obama has had to address since he got into office, and you can see which of the two issues is a larger persistent problem domestically in the US. 

In short - Even if Islamic fundamentalism is a problem domestically, guns are also a big funking problem. Most of it is heresay until we hear some more details. 

Speaking of which why the funk does the US media keep insisting on giving out names and pictures of the perps? That is not what you want to do for mass shootings. 

If we had Trump's Muslim ban, we might have caught this funk before he came back all Daesh'd

Guns are a problem, which is why I keep saying a one time background check isn't enough. A person might be sane 4 years ago, but could crack now

@Obama Our dear president AGAIN neglected to mention the words Radical Islam in fear of pissing off our "Islamic Freinds"

We don't want their "condonance towards violence" or their soft words. This is a cancer in THEIR religion. Demand they clean it out and prove that it's a minority. Otherwise all I'm seeing is a movement that has allure for Muslims, even those brought up away from the more fundamental nations.

You do realize dropping something like the Boston Bombers nail bomb would have killed a sheet ton too. Forget gun, if they must also go fine. But weed out the fucks who use them like this too

Trump was right. And hopefully the liberals will see that Islam=\=liberal now

Edit: As for guns: Multiple background checks a year. Keep a register. Fingerprint Guns. We have a right to bear arms. Nothing more or less.

Archived