Debating Police Actions (f.t. Cops)

Nathanael D. Striker

Watched and recorded this video last night as I found the officer's actions to be highly questionable. So I pose this for debate: was the actions that the officer took justified? More specifically, should the officer have recognized the possibility that he did something to agitate the man he's talking to?

To extend this debate, what actions to officers commonly take that are questionable? Why are they questionable? Is there any way to alleviate this?

Note: Sorry for laughing and talking part way. >>

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Within 30s of the officer pulling the gentleman over he had both called for back-up and put cuffs on him despite the gentleman in question doing nothing to aggravate the situation. The officer then lies to the back-up he called for, and seems to make no attempt to de-escalate the situation (Arguably just aggravating it initially by not compromising to the mans requests). 

Given the man had done nothing that the camera had shown that suggested any kind of physical threat towards the officer (Beyond the initial pulling out), he should not have been in cuffs at any point during that. Because cuffing him escalated the situation needlessly, and that's a dumb dumb thing to have happen. Whether or not the gentleman in question was bi-polar as he claimed (Which wouldn't have helped the situation), there was still a base level of respect that he was denied by the officer as a result of that. 

And I've said it once, but I'll say it again - Civil Forfeiture is the biggest questionable action officers have at there disposal in the US because whilst it doesn't kill anyone, it's just a term for legalised robbery for Cops only without a need for concrete evidence. That should not be the case. You should only be able seize personal property when there is a formal charge in place, and immediately returned (Unless said property is in and of itself illegal) if said charges are dropped. 

It seems to me that the officer took his badge as a license to be an ass. He failed to see that his actions led to the nan becinung even further agitated, and the best course of action would have been to let his fellow officer take over. Even when the man requested to talk to another officer, the officer was still being an ass.

Also, was that really racial profiling that the officer did? If so, he should really know better.

A disgusting abuse of authoritative power.  

"This non-white demographic pulled out in front of me and almost caused me to crash."  Why didn't he pull him over right then and there?  The officer went on a hunt for a man who did nothing wrong besides 'almost' cause an accident.  Almost being in quotations because this officer obviously lied about the man in questions behavior before backup showed.  

I'm surprised they let him go honestly.  He was handcuffed in the back of that car for a while.  

He wasn't read his Miranda Right and he was racially profiled.  Of course he'd be mad.  No doubt the officer felt a little threatened considering the suspects size, but all of those actions were unwarranted.   

the man was perfectly within his rights to be pissed. detained for what was essentially paper-thin reasoning.

cops probably let this film simply because it shows more than just the good side of cops. you can't show the rosy action hero shots without showing the parts that are slowly rotting. i can't see anybody looking at that and seeing it as the just treatment of a citizen.

And this is why, my comrades, I call today for a revolution! I say revolution!!!

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

tumblr_nuhoj6NX8W1rie4kjo1_r1_400.png

Edit to be on topic: The seemingly constant abuse of police power makes me incredibly angry.

Well, here is the video that I mentioned earlier. For this one, it appears that the officers used excessive force by using their tasers when they didn't need to. Do you agree that excessive force was needed? Why or why not? Does this country have a problem with excessive force by police officers?

Note: Sorry if volume is a problem. I don't know what happened.

How is this even a thing still? We need to do something about this, and we need to do it now. While there are a lot of good people in the police force the bad eggs tend to get particularly high on the authority and try to ditch their responsibility, the media gets all over the extremes -- and nobody else in the force in comparison, which drives the resentment of the entire force further. We need a plan to stop this.

Had a hard time watching video 2 because of no volume but it seems similar to video 1. Both are examples of misuse of authority.

I guess...  but maybe something less awkward.

(Also hi i'm dad, do you mind using img and /img in brackets (like [ ] ) on either side of the link?)

I don't mind at all.  Would this turn the link into a displayed gif on the page?

EDIT:  Apparently I can't.  I'm not allowed to.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived