Complaints Go Here

Give us a coherent list of which mods are managing what.

Such a list already exists in News.

And about restructuring, it was the previous restructuring that lead us to this. I mean, there has been a deliberate trend towards less and less mods for a few years now. That was intentional as the reasoning was that a large mod team wasn't necessary for a shrinking member base. The issue with that, from hindsight, is that the mods that are left can't be demoted without a replacement almost immediately taking over. Also, there are less mods to gather ideas with, a greater risk of not having the best mod for a situation, etc. If the mod team is to restructure, we need to be careful about how we do that. Otherwise, we'd be inviting more issues like the last one, unfortunately, did.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sakura already has CC. He's been the sole mod of it since Gadj stepped down.

Also, as for structure before additions, I agree. I don't think a fully realized structure could be figured out with the current staff, but taking full stock of what they have and what everyone brings to the table is important, so that they actually know what they need when bringing someone new on.

Right, I'm aware he already has it. Sorry, that was poor phrasing on my part.

I don't expect there to be a full realized structure. More than anything, I think the process of trying to shake things up will show that they don't have a full structure, so it would do more to highlight where they're lacking. It's taking full stock of what they have, and revealing what they don't.

Such a list already exists in News.

And about restructuring, it was the previous restructuring that lead us to this. I mean, there has been a deliberate trend towards less and less mods for a few years now. That was intentional as the reasoning was that a large mod team wasn't necessary for a shrinking member base. The issue with that, from hindsight, is that the mods that are left can't be demoted without a replacement almost immediately taking over. Also, there are less mods to gather ideas with, a greater risk of not having the best mod for a situation, etc. If the mod team is to restructure, we need to be careful about how we do that. Otherwise, we'd be inviting more issues like the last one, unfortunately, did.

Right, forgot about that. Thank you. Let's look at the list, shall we?

Super Moderators

Night

Flame Dragon

Sakura

Local Moderators

- News: Night

- Questions & Help (and subsections): Sakura

- Comments & Suggestions: Night

- Introductions: Sakura

- Advanced Cards & subsections: Sakura

- Casual Cards & subsections: Sakura

- Duel Portal: Sakura

- Card Contests: Sakura

- 1v1 Contests: Sakura

- Yugioh TCG & OCG Card Discussion: Broke. N

- Yugioh Banlists and Theory: Broke. N

- Yugioh TCG Decks: Broke. N

- Other TCG: Flame Dragon

- Other TCG Decks: Flame Dragon

- Creative Writing: Zai

- Role Playing: Zai

- Graphic Showcase / Tutorials: Night, Smear

- Graphic Competitions: Night, Smear

- Graphic Shops / Requests: Night, Smear

- Animation & Graphic Novels: Smear

- Film & Literature: Smear

- Video Games: Flame Dragon

- Music

- General & Polls / Blogs subsections: Dad

- Debates subsection: Dad

- Clubs & Organizations: Dad

- Miscellaneous & Games: Dad

Public Relations (PR)

Zai

It still needs to be updated following Smear's resignation, which leaves the Multimedia with almost no leadership beyond Flame Dragon in Video Games. This is especially bad when, after I made sure to work on new rules with Yin to discourage visiting illegal streaming sites, Sakura will just casually tell people to go watch VRAINS on DailyMotion or other pirate sites, even though Yin and I took special care to ensure that people wouldn't be doing exactly what Sakura is encouraging.

So I'd like there to be someone who can actually take care of the rest of Multimedia. Preferably not Sakura, if he thinks he can just ignore the rules that previous mods worked together to establish.

A wild bird appears. Josh asked me to step in and make my opinion on this stuff known, so... I'm gonna take the time to do that now. It won't be as fleshed out and detailed as his post was, mainly because... Well, it's all stuff that's been said at this point.

If you do still care, and you want better for the forum, you have to show it. Actions speak louder than words.
Maybe that'll involve bugging your fellow mods to come online for a group meeting at this time or next week or whenever. Or it can be including an ETA like with the Birdie thing, "I understand you all are rallying for Birdie to rejoin, please give us about a week to get back to you." Even if you're telling someone they need to wait and it'll be another week because you need to hear from 3 more people, it's better to receive some form of acknowledgement than nothing at all. 
Maybe I'm underestimating the difficulty in doing this and rallying the troops. But I've seen ex-mods criticize the status quo like Black, Koko, Yui, and Roxas, so I believe their experience lends the perspective that change is doable, but isn't being done.
If you do care about being a mod and YCM, and you envision yourself being here a few more years and beyond, I ask that you not take the role for granted just because there's some unspoken tenure and recognize that members are feeling shunned and not really being listened to.

Fusion kinda hit the nail on the head for me.

No matter what, it feels like... We're just running into the same wall, over and over. It feels like no one on the mod team wants to take a step to making change because that change might negatively affect them, at least that's how it's felt up to now. With Dad taking more of a step forward, and Flame coming forward, it's nice to see a bit of a fire to make things change, and the way the users are kinda... Well, united in a way that hasn't happened so far.

The fact that I got complete radio silence after saying that I was open to rejoining the team, I just wanted it to get a proper discussion with the users first was kinda the beginning of the end for my patience. I was already on a shorter string, since I've been there with Josh for everything that he's been through trying to push some change, and hearing about the way things had gone for him when he did it...

Chapter 5 of Danganronpa V3 ended up opening some old wounds for him too, so that kinda got me thinking more and more.

Would Bree even be willing to return @North & Black?

She mentioned this place was getting her down when she took her recent break

I'll probably still be taking January off. The constant struggle to get stuff done was really getting to me, and I just wanted a break from it. But for now, I'm here and I'm willing to put in my input for what it's worth.

Restructuring the Mod Team

It needs to be done. Badly. The way things are right now are just unsustainable. It feels too much like an echo chamber, where "Are we wrong? No, no it's the members."

Flame should be the leader, but despite everything, it feels like he's still not too... Sure about the role. I get that, I get being uncertain about what kind of actions you should take, if you should be more forceful or if it's better to be passive about things. The thing about being a leader is you have to be able to read the mood and know which is better at a given time. It isn't easy, but we know it's not gonna be a perfect process. None of the prior Supers were one hundred percent perfect, as long as you acknowledge a mistake as a mistake, and are willing to make things right, I don't think most of us will have excessive issues with you. I honestly think you have it in you, I know it can be hard to take those steps though. Part of the issue people have with the team is not owning up to mistakes, if you can do that, which you're certainly one of the better ones at handling that, I think you can handle leading the team as time goes on.

Night, as much as I like the dude, barely exists at this point. He pops in maybe once in a blue moon on the actual forums, so even if he's adding stuff behind the scenes a little more regularly, it's not much help for us. I don't hate him, if he was around more regularly, I probably wouldn't have much to say, but... Not being around is such a damning thing right now. I can understand real life obligations causing issues for someone being around, but when it's a Super Mod, it's... Pretty bad for everyone involved. Which is the entire site. The issue is, as was mentioned, last time there was an attempt to demote him, he popped up the next day...

Sakura is concerning to me, once again. He had a huge upswing for a while, but upon being promoted, it's like that all disappeared. He seems more robotic, more confrontational, and a lot more defensive. I think it's the stress of the position, like Josh said, and I think Sakura is fine in Custom Cards, but it seems more reasonable that he might not be able to handle the more overarching Super Mod role. Hell, I wouldn't want to be a Super Mod, I was happy to be a normal mod trying to sort out the PR stuff while I could do it, Super Mod is a damn lot of pressure. It's okay to feel like it's overwhelming. But his response to it, saying that because it's just the 'same people making the same complaints' isn't okay. It's dismissive, it's hand waving, and it's a reason why those complaints keep coming up... And now there's more than just the 'usual' people making them.

Zai has literally nothing left that I can say about him. I don't think he's the worst mod to ever be on the site, but... I've made my stance on him very clear, I don't think he can handle the PR role very well, and my presence in RP isn't strong enough for me to say anything about that.

Dad was worrying me when he stepped down. He said he was going through some sheet, and it showed. He was a lot more aggressive for a while there, and I was worried he was going to snap or something. I was legit concerned about his well being...

But when he returned to the team, he seemed to have himself in order again. He's been tense from time to time, but that's not bad on it's own. He's been trying to do the right thing, and I respect that. It's a hard position, trying to do the right thing without giving into every demand, it's a fine line to toe, and I think he's been doing a good job with it again. I'm glad my concerns weren't proven right on this one, cause I want Dad to do well. It was sad when he stepped down, and I'm glad he's back.

Broken is still too new for me to have a solid grasp, especially since I don't go into TCG as much anymore. I trust Josh's judgement, if he hasn't funked up and he keeps on not funking up, it'll hopefully be fine. It feels like he toned back most of the abrasiveness of his personality, though... I have seen some passive aggressive stuff. But we all get passive aggressive. That alone isn't damning or anything.

Mod Team Size

Like Roxas noted, there's been a clear trend towards downsizing the mod team. That isn't inherently a bad thing, but it has created this issue where things just get bogged down in that mindset. The mod team decided, after cutting off a few inactive moderators, that they didn't need to replace them.

I get that you don't want to look like you're overmoderating the site for the activity it gets, but it's caused the team to stagnant the same way it did when the inactive members were still there. Now you just don't have the justification of stagnation as "We were waiting to hear from the inactive people".

Sakura already has CC. He's been the sole mod of it since Gadj stepped down.

Also, as for structure before additions, I agree. I don't think a fully realized structure could be figured out with the current staff, but taking full stock of what they have and what everyone brings to the table is important, so that they actually know what they need when bringing someone new on.

Right, I'm aware he already has it. Sorry, that was poor phrasing on my part.

I don't expect there to be a full realized structure. More than anything, I think the process of trying to shake things up will show that they don't have a full structure, so it would do more to highlight where they're lacking. It's taking full stock of what they have, and revealing what they don't.

I agree with both of these. I think that a clearer ladder of the current mods needs to be realized, probably resulting in something like Flame being at the top, as the defacto leader now, then figuring out where the other mods really fit into the equation...

Then after that, bringing on some new blood is probably unavoidable. The team is small, yeah, and small can be united, but united isn't great when you're united against the member base rather than along with it. The mod team shouldn't feel like a force fighting against the users. Kayden said that it can be hard to do the right thing, especially when it involves admitting you're wrong... The mod team needs new blood on it who can do that. Who can realize that they've made a mistake and admit it when they make a mistake, then actually follow through on making it right.

I agree with what Roxas said earlier, about Flame being the only person really feeling fit to be a Super Mod at the moment. We definitely should have more than just him on the roster for it, but... It's hard to say who it should be, with the team being as tiny as it is at the moment. Once the team grows a bit, I would say look and see who feels most fit from the group that was added, and give a trial run for it. If it goes well, great! If not, we're just back at step one, most likely.

PR Moderator Position

I understand why Roxas felt that it could be abolished. I didn't agree with him, because... Well, it didn't feel like the current team had the capability to handle that happening. It's been shown before, and learning to address concerns that the member base has isn't something that happens overnight. It takes some time and patience, and having someone who's able to do that for the team in the meantime is, well, important. A lot of what happens on the site is because of poor communication. Hell, what happened with Dae's name is just more proof to that.

I don't think the position is ready to be abolished yet. 

This is just my thoughts at the moment, and they're... Well, a little scattered. I haven't been keeping up with everything that happened, I learned about the issue with Dae's name and stuff second... Third-hand? From Kayden and Josh, so I don't know all the details, but from what I do know, those are my thoughts right now.

PR Moderator Position

I understand why Roxas felt that it could be abolished. I didn't agree with him, because... Well, it didn't feel like the current team had the capability to handle that happening. It's been shown before, and learning to address concerns that the member base has isn't something that happens overnight. It takes some time and patience, and having someone who's able to do that for the team in the meantime is, well, important. A lot of what happens on the site is because of poor communication. Hell, what happened with Dae's name is just more proof to that.

I agree with this. The way I see it, the team has given a good reason for why it could be abolished. However, until they can live up to that, it shouldn't be abolished. Either abolish the position, and have every mod improve their PR skills, or if the rest of the team cannot be more reliable for communication, then we are going to need a dedicated PR mod. Pick one option or the other, because right now, it just seems like the team has picked the worst part of both.

So I wanna say something real quick since the topic is being touched on.  This bit about "getting someone to challenge us" is something I'm pitching in the forum (something I started early last night either right before or after Black's status (at least I think it was Black)).  

I haven't taken it up with the rest of the team to even mention some of this yet in public, but I'll take my lickings if I need to.  Ain't nun.  But before I make another announcement I will go back to the mod forum.  This one is a little bit more sensitive so I can't afford to funk it up.  Just expect something hopefully within 24 hours.  No promises.

So I wanna say something real quick since the topic is being touched on.  This bit about "getting someone to challenge us" is something I'm pitching in the forum (something I started early last night either right before or after Black's status (at least I think it was Black)).  

I haven't taken it up with the rest of the team to even mention some of this yet in public, but I'll take my lickings if I need to.  Ain't nun.  But before I make another announcement I will go back to the mod forum.  This one is a little bit more sensitive so I can't afford to funk it up.  Just expect something hopefully within 24 hours.  No promises.

Thanks for taking this to the Mod forum. I apologize if I was a bit harsh yesterday but we are all yearning for the kick up the bum that the team needs. However much I hate Crab Helmet, at least he kept the forum in check.

I'm not asking for robotic perfection, just a mod team who cares.

Holy sheet Birdie. I want to rep that post but hit my daily limit; everyone rep her because she deserves it.

PR Moderator Position

If you're suggesting the team needs a PR mod or two again, I don't mind stepping up to the plate (and not backing down like last year). Correct me if I'm wrong or point it out if I'm just blindly tooting my own horn here, but I seemed to be one of the more well-liked mods while I was briefly on the team, which is important for the position, as well as one of the preferred picks for PR when it first happened (not gonna touch on the negatives of that whole thing; 2018's a year for optimism and good things!). Running General and Debates during Dad's hiatus also familiarized me with the section people seemed most concerned about me having to get involved with, and it all went pretty smoothly. No reason they can't bring you back as a PR mod too, come to think of it.

Also, rewinding a bit so that this isn't entirely about PR (I probably came off as kinda eager to grab the job; this isn't quite the case).

I'm okay with Sakura having CC.

No matter how dead Showcase may be, that doesn't exactly mean it's okay for Night to disappear.

If I know one thing about the current mods, Sakura has CC well under control yeah. Dude could probably run the whole site himself if we let him and he had enough spare time. As for Showcase, I'd agree that Night shouldn't be taken off entirely, and I was trying not to say it, but I also agree that with his current activity levels, he shouldn't be a super. It would probably be good to bump him down to a regular mod and see how everything looks once that's done and the team has a stable number of members that isn't as small as it currently is.

Can someone please justify why Night should remain a mod?

Like I somewhat get people feeling bad for Zai, but people have been calling for Night to step down for almost 2 years now. Aix's literal resignation post was about how Night hasn't  been doing anything. Like c'mon, he might be iconic or something. Give him a member group. I'm just not seeing what he's done recently to merit a Showcase mod spot. A position that anyone from Thar to Dae to Tormy merit more

This isn't a sentimental affair guys. (1) is X doing their job 

Y- retain

N- sack

Seems to me the the team and certain members are hellbent on keeping the current mod team alive in some way or the other even if it means putting people into pointless positions 

Y'all motherfackers write too much dangnabit

Anyway, wow there were three posts since I started reading this page....

So it seems that the general idea is that we really do need a sorta power shift, which has been the theme throughout this thread.

I'd like to note that in my experience the mod team in general seems really really really intent on not adding more mods for reasons I don't understand so I'd like to hear from them why they think the smaller number is preferred.

Y'all motherfackers write too much dangnabit

Anyway, wow there were three posts since I started reading this page....

So it seems that the general idea is that we really do need a sorta power shift, which has been the theme throughout this thread.

I'd like to note that in my experience the mod team in general seems really really really intent on not adding more mods for reasons I don't understand so I'd like to hear from them why they think the smaller number is preferred.

Give me 24 hours and you'll have an answer.

The only thing that can justify this is that his section has so little activity that it doesn't currently need his attention.  Even then, I can't fight for Night.

It really goes back to the thing I've been saying. This isn't some super vital job that will define your life. But you owe it to the community to perform to your best levels. If you cannot, for ANY reason, be it life, health, school, etc. it's incumbent on you to step down to let someone do the job better than you currently can

That's not meant as a slap on you (you being any mod in the above situation), but rather an acceptance of reality. Black mentioned I'm being too hot in my critique, but I'm going to bluntly say it. I feel a number of people on the mod team care more about securing or preserving their modship than they do about YCM's future 

I agree with this. The way I see it, the team has given a good reason for why it could be abolished. However, until they can live up to that, it shouldn't be abolished. Either abolish the position, and have every mod improve their PR skills, or if the rest of the team cannot be more reliable for communication, then we are going to need a dedicated PR mod. Pick one option or the other, because right now, it just seems like the team has picked the worst part of both.

Preeetty much, yep. The mod team could maybe get to the point where it could handle it individually. But... The issue with that is that each person has a different view on things.

That's why I pushed for the PR thing. Having everything condensed down to one source, and having it given all at the same time, is immensely helpful to communicating between members and mods. Otherwise, you have like, six or seven different sources coming from the mods on what's going on, things get jumbled up, and communication becomes "Well, I heard this. But this other guy heard the exact opposite from another mod" and it's happened before.

That's why I think, even if the team could mostly be trusted to handle it without a position for it, it would still probably be better in the long term cause it's easier to organize when one-or-two people are handling the organization of different view points, so that it all gets communicated cleanly.

Good sheet, I like this. This is communication and it's good to hear! Keep us updated on how the discussion goes, when it becomes relevant dude.

Holy sheet Birdie. I want to rep that post but hit my daily limit; everyone rep her because she deserves it.

If you're suggesting the team needs a PR mod or two again, I don't mind stepping up to the plate (and not backing down like last year). Correct me if I'm wrong or point it out if I'm just blindly tooting my own horn here, but I seemed to be one of the more well-liked mods while I was briefly on the team, which is important for the position, as well as one of the preferred picks for PR when it first happened (not gonna touch on the negatives of that whole thing; 2018's a year for optimism and good things!). Running General and Debates during Dad's hiatus also familiarized me with the section people seemed most concerned about me having to get involved with, and it all went pretty smoothly. No reason they can't bring you back as a PR mod too, come to think of it.

Also, rewinding a bit so that this isn't entirely about PR (I probably came off as kinda eager to grab the job; this isn't quite the case).

I'm glad my post didn't come across as inane, sleep depraved rambling after all! I think given everything that's happened, reopening the position is probably a good place to start. Proper communication is the base of getting everything sorted out. I believed that before, and I still believe that's the case.

Can someone please justify why Night should remain a mod?

Like I somewhat get people feeling bad for Zai, but people have been calling for Night to step down for almost 2 years now. Aix's literal resignation post was about how Night hasn't  been doing anything. Like c'mon, he might be iconic or something. Give him a member group. I'm just not seeing what he's done recently to merit a Showcase mod spot. A position that anyone from Thar to Dae to Tormy merit more

This isn't a sentimental affair guys. (1) is X doing their job 

Y- retain

N- sack

Seems to me the the team and certain members are hellbent on keeping the current mod team alive in some way or the other even if it means putting people into pointless positions 

Unfortunately, like Josh mentioned in his post, the issue with demodding Night is that the moment it was discussed and began to be put into effect, he appeared the next day and demanded to be back in his Super Mod position. It's impossible to come to a clear decision on what to do there, since he can just show up again like that, even though I agree he probably shouldn't be part of the team now. 

We can't talk to him cause he only shows up if he's in risk of losing his position, which goes back to maintaining the status quo over making actual progress.

It really goes back to the thing I've been saying. This isn't some super vital job that will define your life. But you owe it to the community to perform to your best levels. If you cannot, for ANY reason, be it life, health, school, etc. it's incumbent on you to step down to let someone do the job better than you currently can

That's not meant as a slap on you (you being any mod in the above situation), but rather an acceptance of reality. Black mentioned I'm being too hot in my critique, but I'm going to bluntly say it. I feel a number of people on the mod team care more about securing or preserving their modship than they do about YCM's future 

I don't feel like this is too hotheaded, honestly, I essentially said the same thing in my post. Part of the issue with downsizing, with no plan to replace the inactive mods, definitely felt like it was because there was concern over losing their position as a result of it, when all it would've done really is bring in new blood to make discussions more open to alternatives.

It's a legitimate concern, and that's why I'm pushing to expand the mod team more once the proper hierarchy has been established... And figuring out how the Night thing is going to be handled.

Night if you're reading this you're a cool dude, remember that.

If that fossil comes back to demand his position back again without good reason, kick him out entirely, use that super mod power, if he's going to do something as petty as demand to be a Super instead of regular Mod for no real reason he shouldn't be a Mod at all.

Unfortunately, like Josh mentioned in his post, the issue with demodding Night is that the moment it was discussed and began to be put into effect, he appeared the next day and demanded to be back in his Super Mod position. It's impossible to come to a clear decision on what to do there, since he can just show up again like that, even though I agree he probably shouldn't be part of the team now. 

We can't talk to him cause he only shows up if he's in risk of losing his position, which goes back to maintaining the status quo over making actual progress.

On the one hand, I kind of understand the concern, but just because Night could come crawling back and demand to be a Super again doesn't necessarily mean he'd get it. No one should cave in and let him have the job back.

If he shows up when he's at risk of losing his position, then here's the ultimatum you offer: He is definitely not going to be a Super. That's the bare minimum. If he throws a fit about that, as if he can't accept even being a regular moderator, then like Cow said, he shouldn't be a mod at all.

I think... most of the immediately important stuff has been covered, though we may have missed something... so for now, I’d like to hear about:

Give me 24 hours and you'll have an answer.

This here. It’s fine that it took more than 24 hours, especially given that you got that news yesterday, but it still seems important for something to keep all this unity and desire for progress to not just.... fizzle out again.

The Card Maker.

While the title of the thread is generic, it's about moderation and staff complaints. In addition, we do not have a way, on our own, to repairthe cardmaker. I apologize but please take those complaints to a different thread.

The Card Maker.

While the title of the thread is generic, it's about moderation and staff complaints. In addition, we do not have a way, on our own, to repairthe cardmaker. I apologize but please take those complaints to a different thread.

Striker and dova are working on it. You might be better suited to ask them imo than the mod team

• 2 weeks later...

In that case, I'd like to resume discussion about Sakura's future as a Super, unless other people have other subjects they'd rather talk about.

Sakura: You're the biggest issue I have after Zai. You lash out at the members whenever we try to make a change, regardless of how civil we are, and you refuse to communicate with people when they come to you. Hell, when the sheet was going on in Nov/Dec, I had a constant PM going with you and FD, which you constantly glanced at and ignored. Flame did his best to keep a line of dialogue going, especially since I came in private to hopefully lessen the burden happening on the site itself, and... You just couldn't be bothered. Yeah, you replied to the later one sent to all three supers, but that's too little too late.

I know you dislike me for being your critic. Same with Giga. And others. It's not unknown that you oppose them in the mod forum with all of your might, and you have the right to oppose people you think are being unfair. But you don't stick your head in the sand and refuse to listen/blame others.

I may have glossed over this when Black originally wrote it, but the bolded part in particular is something I haven't necessarily noticed before, but I'm definitely seeing it now. Sakura has largely ignored the majority of my comments about the rules in Animation & Graphic Novels, and in response to my thread where I pointed out why this was a problem, Sakura's response was just to deny any and all fault, despite evidence to the contrary.

For actually providing discussion, my "complaint" if you will, is that there is no visible leader for the staff team and thus no one is held accountable for shitty actions.

Therefore I suggest creating a new group for Head Mod or even just using the pre-existing Admin group and promoting a member within the staff team to act as lead (or even vote on someone external if appropriate) I had this suggestion before with a decent amount of traction but was pretty much entirely ignored by the staff team, it may seem superficial to you guys but to the general populous it may actually improve in some areas, and to stop a monopoly occuring you could even put in place guidelines that a new head mod/admin is elected every 3/6 months.

Archived