New Mechanic: Crests (Spell/Trap Tokens)

morrisoni4

I came up with this idea while trying to make the anime card "Deuce" work a little better with the actual game. What if you could create Tokens that are Spell and Trap Cards, not just Monster Cards? I decided to call them Crests, just to differentiate from actual Monster Tokens. This could be used to inhibit your opponent's Spell & Trap Card Zones, the way "Ojama Trio" does for Monster Cards Zones. They could also have some effects themselves, like protecting other cards.

“Deuce”
Continuous Spell
When this card is activated: place 1 “Deuce Crest” in your opponent’s Spell & Trap Zone as a  Continuous Spell Card. Its name is always treated as “Deuce”. It is unaffected by other card effects. If this card leaves the field, destroy that Crest.
If either player would damage their opponent by battle or card effect: Negate that damage and place 1 Double Play Counter on a “Deuce” on that player’s player’s side of the field, then remove all Double Play Counters from all cards on the field, except that “Deuce”. The player that has 2 Double Play Counters on a “Deuce” they control wins the Duel. Each player can only control one face-up “Deuce”.

"Meddlesome Magic"

Trap

Place 3 "Meddlesome Crests" in your opponent’s Spell & Trap Zones as Continuous Spells Cards. They cannot be destroyed by your opponent's monster effects,  and each time 1 is destroyed, its controller takes 300 damage.

"Crest Crush"

Destroy all Crests on the field, and gain 500 LP for each.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the idea, but i dont like the sample card 

I assume just like Token is actually neutral vanilla monster unless the card that generate it also grant the token lingering effect on it. Crest only has effect the same way. 

Also is Crest is a totally new card type? Or just like Token that, again; its just temporary existing normal monster. If the latter is true then whats the crest real card type? Its it Continuous Spell/Trap or Normal Spell/Trap that by rulling allowed to be kept on field like Swords of Revealing Lights?

I said earlier that i dont like the sample card. Since unlike actual tokens, crest dont have risk of removed from field as material thus unless opponent has boardwipe for S/T, crest pretty much locking opponent spell trap for the rest of the game

Dive Down

Place 1 Diving Crest and 1 Diving Token (SpellCaster/WATER/Link/ATK 1500/LINK 2/Points forward and backward/Any Level).  Give the Diving Crest the following.

Continuous Spell

As long as this Diving Crest and a Diving Token are both in the same Column on your side of the Field, and the Diving Token points to this Diving Crest, choose 1 effect each turn:

Add 1 Diving Counter (max. 3) to this Crest.  If you have 3 Diving Counters, remove all Diving Counters and draw 1 Card from your deck.

Add 100 LP.

Destroy said Token and every Card it points to.

2 hours ago, Dr. Jolly Glot the III said:

I like the idea, but i dont like the sample card 

I assume just like Token is actually neutral vanilla monster unless the card that generate it also grant the token lingering effect on it. Crest only has effect the same way. 

Also is Crest is a totally new card type? Or just like Token that, again; its just temporary existing normal monster. If the latter is true then whats the crest real card type? Its it Continuous Spell/Trap or Normal Spell/Trap that by rulling allowed to be kept on field like Swords of Revealing Lights?

I said earlier that i dont like the sample card. Since unlike actual tokens, crest dont have risk of removed from field as material thus unless opponent has boardwipe for S/T, crest pretty much locking opponent spell trap for the rest of the game

I think the effect producing the Crest would have to be the one dictating if it is a Spell or a Trap, but in order for them to stay face-up for an indefinite amount of time, they probably don't necessarily need to declare themselves Continuous, Field, Equip or Normal. Kind of like how Pendulums aren't any other classification either.

- - -

I find the concept a little harsh since Tokens normally can be removed by simple battle and some even as Tributes/Material, but these absolutely need effect removal. Ojama Trio is technically softer than the sample Trap because of it, and I feel for the Pendulum Scales.

Though removal is pretty common.
Crests with effects of their own that the card producing them does not have printed in it, that would potentially kind of cheat the Extra Deck and Main Deck limitations. The crest or the card that created it would have to specify somewhere that those thing belong to the crest-producing effect of the original card to keep it lingering, but then it'd mean there's information you absolutely wouldn't have unless you had the Crest Card that has it written (as sweet as it would be for this to save clutter in the effect text of the card producing crests). Even then it'd be a bit questionable since stuff like Tokens is meant to be usable by anything you have at hand, beans, legos, erasers, so long as you can differentiate Attack and Defense Positions.

The idea is interesting nonetheless. I think decks either depend on S/T like Pendulum mechanics, Weather Painters, Magical Musketeers, or they absolutely don't need more than 1 backrow zone to turbo through their choices xD but I think stuff can be done with this mechanic of crests.

Archived