Assistant Tinker-Elf

Sleepy

273b035d0314.jpg

Assistant Tinker-Elf
EARTH Level 4 [Fairy/Christmas/Effect] 1400/1600

This card cannot be Tributed or used as material during the turn it uses its effect. If a player adds a card(s) from the Deck to the hand (except by drawing), either player can activate this effect by declaring 1 card name added: Both players must add from their Deck to the hand, as many cards as possible with the same name. Each player can only use this effect of "Assistant Tinker-Elf" once per turn.

- - - - - -

NOTES:
Yeah I know, the "Christmas" subtype doesn't exist in the real game.... It's just something silly I have for the seasons.
What does the subtype mean in this case? Well it is an effect that is available for both players because you wanna give and have the opponent give to you xP

You can force your opponent to get all copies of a troublesome card but for that to happen they must be already searching it, or you would have to be playing the same card and search it yourself. Like going "Sangan" > search "Ash Blossom".
The applications are actually pretty powerful. You can add something you know the opponent isn't running (though they can do the same). Or you can play "Mind Crush" and name what was just searched, knowing it'll get rid of all the copies of that card from their hand. 
1400 ATK is to make it searchable by Giant Rat and the like, 1600 ATK just because I think "Thunder Hand" is a fun card.

Thoughts/comments/suggestions all welcomed and appreciated.

@Rayfield Lumina Moar Christmas activity for the event xD

I'm really digging the effect, just like you point out, if used cleverly it can really screw your opponent while using it to your advantage (a pity D.D. Designator only banishes a single card). One's gotta be wary of the card advantage you might give the opponent regardless, as they could use the resources to star paying for stuff like Twin Twisters, but yeah, some cards want to stay in Deck like hikikomoris, why not force them to take some sunlight? So, you're going to run 3 copies of this as an exception in your only 1 copy of each card Decks? xD

7 hours ago, Rayfield Lumina said:

I'm really digging the effect, just like you point out, if used cleverly it can really screw your opponent while using it to your advantage (a pity D.D. Designator only banishes a single card). One's gotta be wary of the card advantage you might give the opponent regardless, as they could use the resources to star paying for stuff like Twin Twisters, but yeah, some cards want to stay in Deck like hikikomoris, why not force them to take some sunlight? So, you're going to run 3 copies of this as an exception in your only 1 copy of each card Decks? xD

Finally home so I can actually reply to this instead of just react xP
Another few interesting interactions:
-Your opponent can abuse having a quick effect that adds something to force this card to trigger. What for? Your opponent can make this card unable to be used as material/tribute that turn, as they get extra copies of what they searched for. It sort of locks this card in case you wanted to ladder with it into a boss or something.
-If you combine this card with the spell "Small World", this offsets the minus of that search, and means you now can search 3 copies of any monster in the game, no exceptions.
-If you combine this card with a "Convultion of Nature"/"Archfiend's Oath" strategy, you can turn your (visible) top of the deck into "I'll now add 3 copies of that thanks", which technically gives you 3 copies of any S/T on the game too.....

Fun xD

15 hours ago, Sleepy said:

Finally home so I can actually reply to this instead of just react xP
Another few interesting interactions:
-Your opponent can abuse having a quick effect that adds something to force this card to trigger. What for? Your opponent can make this card unable to be used as material/tribute that turn, as they get extra copies of what they searched for. It sort of locks this card in case you wanted to ladder with it into a boss or something.
-If you combine this card with the spell "Small World", this offsets the minus of that search, and means you now can search 3 copies of any monster in the game, no exceptions.
-If you combine this card with a "Convultion of Nature"/"Archfiend's Oath" strategy, you can turn your (visible) top of the deck into "I'll now add 3 copies of that thanks", which technically gives you 3 copies of any S/T on the game too.....

Fun xD

Ahh, now that you mention it, "The True Name" is a 1 time usage Archfiend's Oath, but without cost and also supports DIVINE mons (ewww). Btw, I'm unsure what happens when you add multiple cards, can you add the copies of every card you draw? First it says "If a player adds a card(s)", but later it says "as many cards as possible with the same name as the added card". IDK if card(s) or card applies here. Because if you add all copies of everything you add with a given effect, Wattrain and lulz, +11 or something...

Fun xD

13 minutes ago, Lazarus IV said:

It has "Tinker" in its name, so I'm kinda obligated to say something :P

Does this trigger off the Normal draw?  A card is still added from deck > hand, but only 1 player knows what the card is, so I'm guessing no?

It'd be kinda amusing to use this alongside/against "Sales Pitch".

I definitely thought of you when I saw the Tinker in the name xD. As things stands, I have found out the way to force the Xmas Gagagigo man into giving you feedback: Just mention "Tinker" in some way or another and you're on. I'm a genius.

748335201918386176.png?size=96

8 hours ago, Rayfield Lumina said:

Ahh, now that you mention it, "The True Name" is a 1 time usage Archfiend's Oath, but without cost and also supports DIVINE mons (ewww). Btw, I'm unsure what happens when you add multiple cards, can you add the copies of every card you draw? First it says "If a player adds a card(s)", but later it says "as many cards as possible with the same name as the added card". IDK if card(s) or card applies here. Because if you add all copies of everything you add with a given effect, Wattrain and lulz, +11 or something...

Fun xD

I definitely thought of you when I saw the Tinker in the name xD. As things stands, I have found out the way to force the Xmas Gagagigo man into giving you feedback: Just mention "Tinker" in some way or another and you're on. I'm a genius.

748335201918386176.png?size=96

ummm.... ooopsy.
The "card(s)" part is something I do without thinking in these sorts of efects because otherwise it'd only even trigger on effects that search exactly 1, but it is meant to only add max copies of 1 of the added cards. I need to edit that part to clarify that, thanks for pointing that out.

I guess I need to do another fix because no, it isn't meant to trigger on any regular draw, not even effect draws soooooo "except by drawing" will have to be added.

9 hours ago, Lazarus IV said:

It has "Tinker" in its name, so I'm kinda obligated to say something :P

Does this trigger off the Normal draw?  A card is still added from deck > hand, but only 1 player knows what the card is, so I'm guessing no?

It'd be kinda amusing to use this alongside/against "Sales Pitch".

That is a wonderful idea actually, the full combo would be forcing your opponent to add all copies of a certain hand trap that troubles you, you add them as well, you mind crush the opponent's, and Sales Pitch to add any 1 other card xD
Or just wait for the opponent to search on their own and you Sales Pitch and multiply it by 3 searches lol
This is not meta defining but it is genius.

And yeah, it's not meant to trigger off of drawing, just strict searches so I need to modify that.

I don't know how different this card is from when it was first posted. But, I do like the surprise present effect. 

It'd make for fun mirror matches. As both players get an easy search of their playmakers.

But outside of that...I feel only the player using this card benefits. It's a tricky +2 card.

Is there a catch I'm missing? Because outside of mirror matches, it seems only the owner of this card would get to benefit.

20 minutes ago, The Nyx Avatar said:

I don't know how different this card is from when it was first posted. But, I do like the surprise present effect. 

It'd make for fun mirror matches. As both players get an easy search of their playmakers.

But outside of that...I feel only the player using this card benefits. It's a tricky +2 card.

Is there a catch I'm missing? Because outside of mirror matches, it seems only the owner of this card would get to benefit.

Yep, there's something you're missing:

If a player adds a card(s) from the Deck to the hand (except by drawing), either player can activate this effect by declaring 1 card name added: Both players must add from their Deck to the hand, as many cards as possible with the same name.

So, if my opponent is running this, and I use the effect of Neptabyss, I send Dragoons to the GY, and add 1 copy of Call of the Atlanteans to hand, I can add any other copies, then if I'm correct another chain starts and with the effect of Dragoons I can bring all copies of that Sea Serpent Dragoons added, like 3 Divas, for instance.

1 hour ago, Rayfield Lumina said:

Yep, there's something you're missing:

If a player adds a card(s) from the Deck to the hand (except by drawing), either player can activate this effect by declaring 1 card name added: Both players must add from their Deck to the hand, as many cards as possible with the same name.

So, if my opponent is running this, and I use the effect of Neptabyss, I send Dragoons to the GY, and add 1 copy of Call of the Atlanteans to hand, I can add any other copies, then if I'm correct another chain starts and with the effect of Dragoons I can bring all copies of that Sea Serpent Dragoons added, like 3 Divas, for instance.

So what's the downside? This card feels like a total win for the owner of the card. Tinker-Elf would likely be gone before the opponent has a chance to use her effect.

7 hours ago, The Nyx Avatar said:

So what's the downside? This card feels like a total win for the owner of the card. Tinker-Elf would likely be gone before the opponent has a chance to use her effect.

The card locks you out of using it as Tribute/Material for the turn so is it really gonna "be gone"?
Also, your opponent can do a search and trigger it without your intervention, and that has the chance of not being compatible with what you run. Like them turning RotA into a x 3 search of a name card while you are running something like a Cyberse-specific deck. It will still cause Tinker-Elf to lock for the turn for you if they do.

8 hours ago, Sleepy said:

The card locks you out of using it as Tribute/Material for the turn so is it really gonna "be gone"?
Also, your opponent can do a search and trigger it without your intervention, and that has the chance of not being compatible with what you run. Like them turning RotA into a x 3 search of a name card while you are running something like a Cyberse-specific deck. It will still cause Tinker-Elf to lock for the turn for you if they do.

Is "material" a term used in real life cards? I don't recall any cards that just say "material". They usually list out the Summons that they can't be used as material for.

1 hour ago, The Nyx Avatar said:

Is "material" a term used in real life cards? I don't recall any cards that just say "material". They usually list out the Summons that they can't be used as material for.

Not quite there but it is getting more loose. Cards that a few years ago would have said "If you Xyz Summon this card, you can use X as Xyz Material" sometimes just use "X as material" in that last bit because of the context. Even so, my card doesn't have a perfect fit to compare it to. I searched for the word "material" in the description box of DuelingBook to a bit over 1200 results and the 2 things that most look like this kind of lock are the Dustons and Centerfrog, none of which are futureproof for potential new mechanics from the Extra Deck (which I just realized kinda screwed Dustons harder than Ghostricks post-Link era).

I do trust the term material on its own makes people understand what it refers to and it'd be a 7th line of text on the card, making the text a bit too small if this were a real card IMO.... Even if I put something like "for the Special Summon of a monster from the Extra Deck", which would have to say "the Extra Deck" instead of "your Extra Deck to prevent Super Poly-like stuff from pulling a fast one on you, and has to keep the "Special" in Special Summon because IDK... I guess Konami will give us a mechanic that can Normal Summon a monster from the Extra Deck someday. 

12 hours ago, Sleepy said:

I realized that was the intent with that phrase but crashing it into your opponent's stronger monster after searching is a valid way of removing it if you don't just use Destroy Pheonix Enf.

Just now, Loleo said:

I realized that was the intent with that phrase but crashing it into your opponent's stronger monster after searching is a valid way of removing it if you don't just use Destroy Pheonix Enf.

Yes, I actually had battle destruction in mind when I made it xP

Destroying it like that is cutting on potential losses more than anything, most likely using your Normal Summon on this card and potentially telegraphing the opponent that they have to look out for your next search effect as the main power move of the turn. Then the bit about the battle phase not being around turn 1, or the opponent being able to still use it if their search is a quick effect like dumping Shadow Mist or using a quick revival on Stratos in a HERO deck.
On another note you also can technically use self-pop strategies, Dragonic Diagram, Scrap Dragon, Borreload Furious Dragon, Sky Iris, any Metalfoes scale, most boardstates of Evil Twins, and other stuff like that... I think the decks that can afford to run stuff like that will be better off for getting rid of the card. Will that be kind of abusive? well it is a powerful search si it might be worth it but those decks seem to be under control or otherwise not compatible enough with an EARTH Fairy to do much else beyond that splash.

Archived