Yugioh Alternate Custom Project

Sleepy

One person club. I'll be designing a Yugioh format. The rules are:

-No cards outside of the customs approved in this thread exist, and only cards viable to make are ones that can be replicated with Duelingbook's program for actual use.
-Players have +1 Tribute Summon/Set per turn, in addition to the regular Normal Summon/Set the game already provides.
-Muligan: One time only at you initial hand, place x number of cards from your hand at the bottom of the deck and draw the same amount from the top.
-Rituals can be Ritual Summoned from hand/Deck.
-Fusions are ALSO treated as their materials' names (example: Dark Paladin is still Dark Magician and is still Buster Blader).

I'll be working on my own here, super slowly adding cards while trying to keep things sorta balanced and hopefully making things gradually more interesting. 
IRL gets on the way and constantly eats away at my soul and energy (you know, the usual adult stuffs), so it might not be an ideal pace that I'd get here, but we'll see.
You can hop on in if you feel amused by the idea, but you need to be willing to work/discuss/edit your contributions and think about them in terms of how they work with what is already in the format as a whole. I'll have an approved pool to work with so that everybody knows what's up (even if you just become a silent watcher of the thread xP ). I'll also keep tabs on anouncements for when/if something needs any modifications (hopefully never but we'll see).

Ah, note: Anybody interested doesn't need to feel forced to contstantly post or even be a consistent member. You can drop 2 or 3 card ideas and then be inactive for a while and come back to see what became of it. Just keep in mind that as much as I want engagement in the project, if you are silent for a few weeks, your input is not gonna really be waited on so cards will be approved or disapproved or changed meanwhile for the sake of things moving along. Of course you can bring those up and talk about what you like/dislike of a certain move/change when you DO come back.
. . . . BASICALLY: If you keep quiet we'll just do our thing but you can also join back in with "the thing" when you get back.... yeah.

As soon as I post this thread I'll be working on some entries, but will post them in the comments instead of the OP since they'll for now be brainstorming.
Alternate name for the format once defined can and will probably be subject to change xD
Cheers~

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Architectural Wormhole Worm
DARK Level 6 2400/1200 [Insect / Effect]

If this card is Tribute Summoned: You can banish the top 2 cards of your Deck, face-down. During each of your next Standby Phases, add 1 of those cards to your hand, and if you do, if this card is on the field, it gains 600 ATK and DEF.

Shard of Greed in monster form is the first suggestion I have. It becomes a 3k beater if it survives 1 turn, and it becomes slightly stronger than Weevil's moth if you keep it both turns. The banished cards will go to your hand even it it doesn't survive though. Remembrer Tribute Summon is sped up here a bit so we'll see.

Labyrinth Sprite
WIND Level 5 0/3000 [Fairy / Effect]

You can change the targets for your opponent's attacks to this card. If you take battle damage: You can Special Summon this card from your hand, and if you do, reduce the damage and this card's DEF by the same amount (in multiples of 100). 

Kuriboh can tank a Blue-Eyes hit and give an extra wall and even protect a monster at times by taking that attack. I guess you could probably purposely take 100 damage and drop this with 2900 DEF but Millenium Shield has never broken any format xD

Giant Bulky Magic Bull
FIRE Level 8 3000/0 [Beast / Effect]

If your opponent controls a Level 5+ monster, you can Normal Summon this card with no Tributes. If it battled a monster during its previous battle, this card can attack directly during its next attack.

This is a strong beater. I'll test it out because it looks pretty good tbh xD
Now we are starting to see a bit of an exchange with Bull being nullified by the Tank, potentially to protect the Worm while it grows up to stand or beat the bull.... Just to name one interaction.

- - - - - -

^Those are just suggestions to open up the thread with SOMETHING, and to give off some sort of power level to start from. Without some image, even if we later on change said image, we'll go nowhwere really fast since people are not good when given the "do anything you want" specifications xD

877600753252990996.gif?size=96&quality=l

Divine Recompense
Continuous Spell
During your Standby Phase: Draw a number of cards equal to the number of Tribute Summons you made your previous turn. You can only use this effect of "Divine Recompence" once per turn.

Designed with Supply/Backup Squad in mind. In this case, you have more control over the activation of the card (specially in comparison to Backup's case, as some Decks are very well capable of controlling their auto-destruction to feed Supply's. All in all, I gave it a HOPT because you're not really losing anything unlike the goblin cards (even if you did on purpose). Debating if a (max. 3) or similar is in order.

Mathgiraffe
LIGHT Level 4 1500 / 500 [Beast / Tuner / Effect]

If you take damage, you can Special Summon this card from your hand, and if you do, inflict damage to your opponent equal to the difference between that damage and this card's ATK, also, after that, if the damage you inflicted with this effect is equal or lower than this card's DEF, this card is unaffected by your opponent's card effects until the end of the next turn. Once per turn: You can banish 1 monster with a Level from your GY , whose combined ATK/DEF equals 2000; increase or decrease this card's Level by that banished monster's Level, until the end of this turn.

I know it's hard to imagine, but Imagine a giraffe with glasses. Now, it's all scholar looking, has a somewhat quizzical smile, as if subtly laughing about your poor mathematical skills, and is wearing a curly-haired wig holding a couple of heavy books. Anywho, Synchro support xD.

3 hours ago, Rayfield Lumina said:

Divine Recompense
Continuous Spell
During your Standby Phase: Draw a number of cards equal to the number of Tribute Summons you made your previous turn. You can only use this effect of "Divine Recompence" once per turn.

Designed with Supply/Backup Squad in mind. In this case, you have more control over the activation of the card (specially in comparison to Backup's case, as some Decks are very well capable of controlling their auto-destruction to feed Supply's. All in all, I gave it a HOPT because you're not really losing anything unlike the goblin cards (even if you did on purpose). Debating if a (max. 3) or similar is in order.

Mathgiraffe

If you take damage, you can Special Summon this card from your hand, and if you do, inflict damage to your opponent equal to the difference between that damage and this card's ATK, also, after that, if the damage you inflicted with this effect is equal or lower than this card's DEF, this card is unaffected by your opponent's card effects until the end of the next turn. Once per turn: You can banish 1 monster with a Level from your GY , whose combined ATK/DEF equals 2000; increase or decrease this card's Level by that banished monster's Level, until the end of this turn.

I know it's hard to imagine, but Imagine a giraffe with glasses. Now, it's all scholar looking, has a somewhat quizzical smile, as if subtly laughing about your poor mathematical skills, and is wearing a curly-haired wig holding a couple of heavy books. Anywho, Synchro support xD.

You kind of make it sound like the very giraffe I draw xD
Whelp it is the first Spell in this format and the first Tuner (and first Level 4 or lower monster altogether). These I appreciate a ton. 
Your spell sounds pretty good, you see, I've tested this sorta format in the past and you could easily and comfortably run like 6 to 8 single-Tribute monsters in a deck so this card is fairly easy to trigger..... this IMO warrants the hard OPT clause or else this would be a bit much for draw power. Reminds me of the IRL card "Precious Cards from Beyond" (a card I've tested in Flowndeereezee and I think that deck has too many pot of greeds if you add Wing Requital to the mix on top of their in-theme searchers/recyclers).

The Giraffe is a bit convoluted in a way that makes me worry if it becomes a chore to read and understand for other people. It is pretty specific in the "500 or less" bit for an immunity that I wonder how often it might come up... or the "add up to 2k" bit that modifies Levels. I guess it IS a Special Summon Tuner so I can give you that it is desinitely gonna have a use for those willing to desipher. It also means we can now start making cards that add up to 2k points so that they might get this card going a bit better.

I have a couple new cards myself but am still working on it a bit. Right at this moment is the first time in a couple days when I'm not dying of sleepiness so I'll present something.

Btw, the format rules I posted up there are ALSO up for debate. If people don't find x rule very pleasing, it will be better if I know and can take it into account, as the main goal at the end of the day it so have something fun.

31 minutes ago, Loleo said:

Only question I have is the ritual rules since I'm wondering if that means all ritual spells must have the option to summon from hand and deck?

It is more of a general guideline. I'm seeing some Ritual Spells IRL and they don't seem to even mention where they Summon their Ritual Monster from, strangely.
I guess I'd suggest we get to specify that "from hand or Deck" as the most common design here. If we specify that in the text it also adds the bonus that we can still go just "from the hand" if we so desire for a particularly spicy Ritual.

Though in general I think it is needed. All other mechanics which come from the Extra Deck are always accessible with no risk of drawing into them, and if you think about it.... Rituals were introduced into the game with 3 different variations of Stratos-like searchers (Sonic Bird for Ritual Spells, Senju of the Thousand Hands for monsters, and Manju of the Ten Thousand Hands for either) and they still weren't used much if at all. 

I've got to emphasize though, these are not set in stone, if enough dislike for these potential changes happens, I can cancel them and revert to IRL play. If it means more people get interested in this as a result xD

On 7/3/2022 at 8:37 PM, Sleepy said:

It is more of a general guideline. I'm seeing some Ritual Spells IRL and they don't seem to even mention where they Summon their Ritual Monster from, strangely.
I guess I'd suggest we get to specify that "from hand or Deck" as the most common design here. If we specify that in the text it also adds the bonus that we can still go just "from the hand" if we so desire for a particularly spicy Ritual.

Though in general I think it is needed. All other mechanics which come from the Extra Deck are always accessible with no risk of drawing into them, and if you think about it.... Rituals were introduced into the game with 3 different variations of Stratos-like searchers (Sonic Bird for Ritual Spells, Senju of the Thousand Hands for monsters, and Manju of the Ten Thousand Hands for either) and they still weren't used much if at all. 

I've got to emphasize though, these are not set in stone, if enough dislike for these potential changes happens, I can cancel them and revert to IRL play. If it means more people get interested in this as a result xD

I for one like this and on that note

Dloeno The Wise

WATER

level 8

Spellcaster/Ritual/Effect

2800/1000

If this monster is Ritual summoned from the hand: you can return all Special Summoned monsters your opponent controls to the hand. If a monster is Normal Summoned: you can draw a card. If this card is sent from the hand or field to the GY: During the end phase, you can add one ritual spell from your deck to your hand, then during the next Standby Phase discard a card.

Gnuoyeno The Wise

FIRE

level 4

Warrior/Ritual/Effect

1700/300

If this card is ritual summoned from the hand: your opponent must choose one card from their hand to place on top of their deck and this card cannot be targeted by card effects. If a monster declares an attack: this monster gains 300 ATK. If this card is sent from the hand or deck to the GY: During the end phase, you can add 1 Ritual monster from your GY to your hand, then during the next Standby Phase discard a card.

Modsiw

Ritual Spell

This card can be used to summon 1 "The Wise" Ritual monster from your hand or deck. You must also tribute monsters from your hand or field whose total levels equal or exceed the level of the ritual monster you ritual summon. If this card is in your GY: You can discard a ritual monster; Return this card to the deck and at the end of the turn you can add one non-ritual monster from your GY to your hand.

----Edit----

Obmoceno The Wiser

EARTH

level 10

Beast-Warrior/Fusion/Effect

2+Ritual monsters

?/?

This card's ATK/DEF is equal to half the combined ATK/DEF its materials had on the field. Monsters with this card's name are unaffected by card effects that don't target them. Once per turn during your opponent's turn (Quick effect): You can target 1 "The Wise" monster in your GY and send a card from your deck to the GY; Special Summon that monster.

Wen The Wise

level 4

FIRE

WInged-Beast/Effect//Ritual

1000/1800

If this card is ritual summoned from the hand: your opponent cannot respond to the effects of your Ritual Fusion monsters. You can discard this card; add 1 ritual spell from your deck to your hand, also neither player can take battle damage for the rest of this turn. If you activate the effect of a Ritual or fusion monster you control: You can target one card on the field; Destroy it. If this card is sent from the field or deck to the GY: You can target a card either player controls; destroy it.

Nretni The Wise Ebyam

level 4

FRE

Fairy/Effect

500/500

If this card is Normal Summoned: You can add 1 "The Wise" monster or a spell with "Fusion" in its text from your deck to your hand, if you added a spell, you cannot activate the effects of monsters except "The Wise" or "The Wiser" monsters for the rest of the turn.

SsoB The Wise Ebyam

level 8

WATER

Fiend/Effect

2000/2400

This card can be tribute summoned by tributing 1 "The Wise" monster. If this card is Tribute Summoned: You can add 1 card from your opponent's GY to your hand. If this card on the field is tributed: return it to your hand.

------Edit 2------ (plus I made eratas)

Noisuf Fusion

Spell

Fusion Summon one monster from the Extra deck using monsters from your hand or your side of the field as fusion material, if you use at least 1 Ritual monster as fusion material, draw a card.

59 minutes ago, Loleo said:

I for one like this and on that note

Dloeno The Wise

WATER

level 8

Spellcaster/Ritual/Effect

2800/1000

If this monster is Ritual summoned from the hand: you can return all Special Summoned monsters your opponent controls to the hand. If a monster is Normal Summoned: you can draw a card. If this card is sent from the hand or field to the GY: At the end of the turn, you can add one ritual spell from your deck to your hand.

Gnuoyeno The Wise

FIRE

level 4

Warrior/Ritual/Effect

1800/0

If this card is ritual summoned from the hand: your opponent must choose one card from their hand to place on top of their deck and this card cannot be targeted by card effects. If a monster declares an attack: this monster gains 300 ATK. If this card is sent from the hand or field to the GY: At the end of the turn, you can add 1 Ritual monster from your GY to your hand.

Modsiw

Ritual Spell

This card can be used to summon 1 "The Wise" Ritual monster from your hand or deck. You must also tribute monsters from your hand or field whose total levels equal or exceed the level of the ritual monster you ritual summon. If this card is in your GY: You can discard a ritual monster; Return this card to the deck and at the end of the turn you can add one non-ritual monster from your GY to your hand.

Dloeno is probably maybe a tad bit much.... slightly over the edge:
-The drawing effect, keep in mind this format essentially makes double-summoning a potentially common thing (because of the Tribute Summon rule of the format) so this is a draw 2 effect a lot of the time for something the decks are already meant to do naturally. I suggest a "once per turn" for this one.
-The Ritual Search effect is too easy to trigger, it results in it floating into setup for the next copy, it makes destruction and other forms of removal quite discouraging from the very base set, it toolboxes any Ritual Spells we'd make in the future, restricting their design, it kind of didn't need this much push as a 2800 ATK beater from the Deck that draws you cards and can pseudo-wipe the opponent's field (the mass-bouncing effect I don't have comment on, I need to observe it)..... 

I think the Ritual search needs to be a bit harder to trigger than "I fuse it from hand or discard it for Raigeki Break".... I'm not sure at the moment but I think something have to be tweaked.

- - - - - - -

Your second Ritual I think doesn't NEED target protection on top of the other stuff. It is a solid beater from the deck that constantly gains ATK as is.
And the recycle effect can choose itself, making it a Goat Format era Sinister Serpent with aggro qualities and better Levels. IDK if the intention is to loop it like this but I'm more tempted to suggest you banish this card so it can't just grab itself or loop without a 3rd piece.

- - - - - - - 

The Ritual Spell is fine. I think it is fine xD

Rituals with the "from hand or Deck" ruling are probably not gonna need THAT much of a boost to be usable I think.
And well, on top of this post, there's some grammar thingies I could fix but I tried to focus on the playability aspect only for now n.n

9 hours ago, Sleepy said:

Dloeno is probably maybe a tad bit much.... slightly over the edge:
-The drawing effect, keep in mind this format essentially makes double-summoning a potentially common thing (because of the Tribute Summon rule of the format) so this is a draw 2 effect a lot of the time for something the decks are already meant to do naturally. I suggest a "once per turn" for this one.
-The Ritual Search effect is too easy to trigger, it results in it floating into setup for the next copy, it makes destruction and other forms of removal quite discouraging from the very base set, it toolboxes any Ritual Spells we'd make in the future, restricting their design, it kind of didn't need this much push as a 2800 ATK beater from the Deck that draws you cards and can pseudo-wipe the opponent's field (the mass-bouncing effect I don't have comment on, I need to observe it)..... 

I think the Ritual search needs to be a bit harder to trigger than "I fuse it from hand or discard it for Raigeki Break".... I'm not sure at the moment but I think something have to be tweaked.

- - - - - - -

Your second Ritual I think doesn't NEED target protection on top of the other stuff. It is a solid beater from the deck that constantly gains ATK as is.
And the recycle effect can choose itself, making it a Goat Format era Sinister Serpent with aggro qualities and better Levels. IDK if the intention is to loop it like this but I'm more tempted to suggest you banish this card so it can't just grab itself or loop without a 3rd piece.

- - - - - - - 

The Ritual Spell is fine. I think it is fine xD

Rituals with the "from hand or Deck" ruling are probably not gonna need THAT much of a boost to be usable I think.
And well, on top of this post, there's some grammar thingies I could fix but I tried to focus on the playability aspect only for now n.n

I had reasons I wanted certain aspects of their effects to be the way they are but I do see them as a tad too powerful,

Solutions:

1. All the floating effects require a discard after the add during the next standby phase.

2. Dloeno's has a maintenance cost of a half your LP at the start of each MP2.

I thought the fact that not only do you have to get some initial setup for the effects, they float during the end phase, and they require tributes to summon would have been enough, but I can see they are a tad much.

I would also like to hear the grammer fixes if you have time.

20 minutes ago, Loleo said:

I had reasons I wanted certain aspects of their effects to be the way they are but I do see them as a tad too powerful,

Solutions:

1. All the floating effects require a discard after the add during the next standby phase.

2. Dloeno's has a maintenance cost of a half your LP at the start of each MP2.

I thought the fact that not only do you have to get some initial setup for the effects, they float during the end phase, and they require tributes to summon would have been enough, but I can see they are a tad much.

I would also like to hear the grammer fixes if you have time.

H-hold on a moment please..... I just noticed there's twice the number of cards in your post now (although I'd very much appreciate it if you edited these changes along with it just so I can see the whole errata'd effect too). 

Right at this stage I'd like to have a bit more of a generic spread of cards as it is a "base set". Going into archetype mode is something I'd prefer if we had on hold for now. The idea is to make cards that can work off of other cards other creators in the project could have, and making archetypes will probably have their creator using those primarily and not touching other people's parts of the project. 

Like..... we don't even have a "Fusion" card in the game but there's already a searcher for it in your pitch.

12 minutes ago, Sleepy said:

H-hold on a moment please..... I just noticed there's twice the number of cards in your post now (although I'd very much appreciate it if you edited these changes along with it just so I can see the whole errata'd effect too). 

Right at this stage I'd like to have a bit more of a generic spread of cards as it is a "base set". Going into archetype mode is something I'd prefer if we had on hold for now. The idea is to make cards that can work off of other cards other creators in the project could have, and making archetypes will probably have their creator using those primarily and not touching other people's parts of the project. 

Like..... we don't even have a "Fusion" card in the game but there's already a searcher for it in your pitch.

Alright! I put in a Fusion Spell and errata'd the other cards. When I post again I promise to make something more generic!... I'll make one more

Generic Punch

Field Spell

If a monster is Normal Summoned: You can discard a card; Normal Summon that monster again

Okay, I wanted to gauge the power level first before posting some stuff.  I wanted to bring in a bit of a base theme to help springboard some stuff for deckbuilding purposes, but I can understand if these would be 1) too niche/weak, or 2) too initially limiting.

Stomping Destruction
Normal Spell
Activate while you control a Reptile, Dinosaur, Dragon, or Wyrm monster.  Destroy 1 Spell/Trap on the field and inflict 800 damage to your opponent.

Wild Rampage
Normal Spell
Activate while you control a Beast, Beast-Warrior, or Winged Beast monster. Destroy 1 Spell/Trap on the field, then increase the ATK of all Beast, Beast-Warrior, and Winged Beast monsters you control by 300.

Elemental Burst
Quick-Play Spell
Activate while you control a Pyro, Aqua, Thunder, or Rock monster. Destroy 1 Spell/Trap on the field, then gain 500 LP.

Honed Skills
Normal Spell
Activate while you control a Warrior or Spellcaster monster. Destroy 1 Spell/Trap on the field, then flip 1 monster on the field to face-down defense position.

Artificial Precision
Quick-Play Spell
Activate while you control a Machine, Psychic, or Cyberse monster. Destroy 1 Spell/Trap on the field, then look at the top card of your Deck and place it on the top or bottom of your Deck.

Abyssal Deluge
Normal Spell
Activate while you control a Fish or Sea Serpent monster. Target 1 Spell/Trap your opponent controls; activate the following effect depending on the card's position when this resolves.
- Face-down: Place it on top of your opponent's Deck.
- Face-up: Place it on the bottom of your opponent's Deck.

Afterlife's Trial
Normal Spell
Activate while you control a Fairy, Fiend, or Zombie monster. Destroy 1 Spell/Trap on the field, then, you can banish cards from either GY up to the number of those different types on the field.

Nature's Renewal
Normal Spell
Tribute 1 Plant or Insect monster; destroy 1 Spell/Trap on the field, then, you can Special Summon 1 Plant or Insect monster from your GY whose Level is less than or equal to the tributed monster's Level.

8 flavors of spell/trap removal corresponding to different types.  Took this from Rush Duels, but allowed multiple types and added bonus effects to give 'em a bit more utility and punch.  The ones that activate with fewer types are notably stronger than those that have many.

That's a ton of S/T removal. I somehow did not notice the activity for the past couple hours.
Guys, just a reminder that the cards I post are also able to be critizised or have changes to them suggested if it means working better with something you are making.

Out of those I'm only really concerned about Honed Skills. It is MST + non-targeting Book of Moon in one card, which is iffy, while other types are stuck with a retrain of "Stamping Destruction" or a few LP gain points (I think the LP gain should be higher than the amount in the card that burns as in general healing is deemed as a less quality effect to go for).

The rest are all individually good IMO. I'm a little concerned that you want to introduce 8 different kinds of S/T removal so early because that diminishes the potential value of stay-in effects like Continuous, Field, or Equip Cards, but we'll see.... They ARE incompatible in typing after all so it's not like one can just play them all, and controling x monster of any kind IS a drawback even if on paper it doesn't look like much, so we'll see......
It actually is a bit of an argument on why Honed Skills is a bit problematic as a card that will potentially be used to "pin down" monsters into getting set face-down and disable the use of other S/T removal cards if they come from an unfavorable position..... hmm..... yeah.

1 hour ago, Sleepy said:

That's a ton of S/T removal. I somehow did not notice the activity for the past couple hours.
Guys, just a reminder that the cards I post are also able to be critizised or have changes to them suggested if it means working better with something you are making.

Out of those I'm only really concerned about Honed Skills. It is MST + non-targeting Book of Moon in one card, which is iffy, while other types are stuck with a retrain of "Stamping Destruction" or a few LP gain points (I think the LP gain should be higher than the amount in the card that burns as in general healing is deemed as a less quality effect to go for).

The rest are all individually good IMO. I'm a little concerned that you want to introduce 8 different kinds of S/T removal so early because that diminishes the potential value of stay-in effects like Continuous, Field, or Equip Cards, but we'll see.... They ARE incompatible in typing after all so it's not like one can just play them all, and controling x monster of any kind IS a drawback even if on paper it doesn't look like much, so we'll see......
It actually is a bit of an argument on why Honed Skills is a bit problematic as a card that will potentially be used to "pin down" monsters into getting set face-down and disable the use of other S/T removal cards if they come from an unfavorable position..... hmm..... yeah.

I'd initially made all these cards have a slightly weaker iteration but I'd buffed them when posting 'em and I'd forgotten I'd left Honed Skills as a Quick-Play.  I debuffed it to a Normal Spell, but I am open to other balance changes instead (maybe an ATK/DEF debuff?).

I suppose I could increase the LP gain for the Elemental one, but that one is already stronger than the burn one since it is Quick-Play.  The burn one's only utility is burn damage, so that felt like it should be stronger. That was my logic, at least.

As for the introduction of so many backrow removal cards as a whole... Yeah, I understand where you're coming from here.  I am just, uh, painfully aware that this is easy to neglect if not addressed early.  For now, having these means we don't actually have to worry about backrow getting out of control for a bit (which should hopefully open up the opportunity to create Spells/Traps as a whole).

On 7/2/2022 at 6:20 PM, Rayfield Lumina said:

Divine Recompense
Continuous Spell

Mathgiraffe

If you take damage, you can Special Summon this card from your hand, and if you do, inflict damage to your opponent equal to the difference between that damage and this card's ATK, also, after that, if the damage you inflicted with this effect is equal or lower than this card's DEF, this card is unaffected by your opponent's card effects until the end of the next turn. Once per turn: You can banish 1 monster with a Level from your GY, whose combined ATK/DEF equals 2000; increase or decrease this card's Level by that banished monster's Level, until the end of this turn.

I think the spell is balanced perfectly for now since by default you can only draw 2 cards unless you find a way to perform additional summons and even then, it won't happen consistently or immediately. Who knows maybe playtesting will prove me wrong?

Mathgiraffe recommendation: swap the ATK and DEF? It seems well made but I think that would make both effects comfortably stronger.

Heres a 2k total stater!

Apprentice Golemn

Level 6

EARTH

Rock/Effect

2000/0

If this card is Tribute summoned: You can pay 2000 LP and draw a card; If you drew a monster that can be Normal Summoned you can Normal Summon it, If you drew a spell or trap  you can activate it. 

I think it is about time I tell you guys it is a bit overwhelming already xD
We have let's see.....

Sleepy: 3 cards
Rayfield: 2
Loleo: 10
Tinkerer: 8

So 23 cards to analyze. My cards are also still not "in". I will buff or nerf them or alter details that help them work better with the rest of the entries so far. Now excuse me while I make some quick proxies to test hands with.... it is the only way I can get the picture here.

Sorry but I'm fully ignoring grammar errors for the meantime.... I'll work on that if they get in. xD

I'm still a bit unsure about what to do here besides making/approving customs for this format, and it's hard to tell what we should be aiming for balance-wise without a few more design directions.

For example:

- I'm assuming Synchros, Xyzs, Pendulums, and Links are allowed. You never specified outright, but you didn't say anything against them either, so...

- Are you aiming for a "base" set like in MtG? We'd have a whole bunch of cards get approved for a "base" set then build outward from there?

- Power level: What is the estimated power level supposed to be? What are you testing these against?

- Are we sticking to irl design convention? I.e. Max 3000 ATK for Normals, or, Max 2000 ATK for level 4 w/o downside.

...I feel like I had more, but I've gotta get some sleep...

EDIT: (to not be confused with my reply to Redro, I was about to post this before I saw the post so I replied instead first xP
So my current plan is to (whenever I have the time) make public test cards at Duelingbook with these sketches to help me memorize the cards/effects (I'll make more later for the other cards.... probably).  Then I'll test hands in solitaire mode. We can talk about giving the cards proper images once they are approved....

Here's what I'll be using for my 3 cards and both of Rayfield's... (I'll let everybody guess which sketch is for which card)...sadly the weekend finally caught up to me so I have to go to sleep soon now... but yeah, pending work:

QV8jbns.jpg

- - - - -

51 minutes ago, Redro said:

I'm still a bit unsure about what to do here besides making/approving customs for this format, and it's hard to tell what we should be aiming for balance-wise without a few more design directions.

For example:

- I'm assuming Synchros, Xyzs, Pendulums, and Links are allowed. You never specified outright, but you didn't say anything against them either, so...

- Are you aiming for a "base" set like in MtG? We'd have a whole bunch of cards get approved for a "base" set then build outward from there?

- Power level: What is the estimated power level supposed to be? What are you testing these against?

- Are we sticking to irl design convention? I.e. Max 3000 ATK for Normals, or, Max 2000 ATK for level 4 w/o downside.

...I feel like I had more, but I've gotta get some sleep...

The average ATK/DEF conventions from the IRL game I think should be something we stick to, it is the standard we are all most used to after all. Though this doesn't mean we are sticking to ALL IRL design conventions. I'd like to avoid the longer kinds of plays from the IRL game where you can special 5+ times on a regular basis and end up with boses that only know how to negate effects to be viable options. I'm not looking to slow down the game to Goat Format days but more so somewhere in the middle where players can do 3 or 4 Summons.

The cards are meant to be tested against themselves. We are not using anything from the IRL game so what I think would happen is that if we start with as few as 2 or 3 cards on the table, they can already interact with each other in some manner. We see how we can spice that and slowly branch out from there. For example the 3 cards I first suggested up myself. They got a bit of interaction in mind although the puzzle is incomplete:

The Sprite can prevent damage from the Bull and even force the Bull's direct attack effect into attacking the Sprite instead, but dropping the Sprite means the Bull on the opponent's side needs no Tributes. Then there's the Worm that always needs 1 Tribute at 2400 ATK. If you protect it for 1 turn against an opponent Bull, it'll even the ATK against it to 3000, and an extra turn will surpass the bull at 3600 ATK. Also, if something were to flip the sprite down and up again, it'd reset its 3k DEF and be an undefinite wall against the Bull.
From there on, at least from when Loleo only had 3 cards in his first post, he's got a Level 8 Ritual Monster that can be teched extra easily because the Bull exists to sometimes be a 3k beater with no Tributes, so fulfilling all Tributes for the Ritual with it are an easy alternative that doesn't demand much dedication.

From there I'd expect other cards to slowly build up from there, like your S/T removal "Wild Rampage" that becomes live with the Bull in play and can boost its ATK. I think those removals don't NEED to catter to my cards since we can use them to make new monsters that DO combo with them better, but like, I'd probably have made the "Wild Rampage" boost something like 600 ATK so the Bull can potentially tie with the Worm (when it survived 2 turns) or something like that.

Nature's Renewal doesn't benefit the Worm that NEEDS to stay and survive a few turns to gain ATK from its own effect, but no doubt some Insect or Plant can be made soon to make some interesting interaction from this card.

Afterlife's Trial is not amazing nor is it bad combined with my Sprite, this is good..... banish from the GY is always gonna offer some degree of disruption in some way and if not, the MST effect is good enough haha.

I'd from there keep an eye on how we design our backrow because we don't want this kind of S/T removal to be insufficient and leave us craving for a quick MST or a Heavy Storm to exist..... if possible.

Rayfield's "Divine Recompense" left us with a fairly solid "draw 1 every turn" effect that can sometimes be "draw 2" but also can be "draw 0" depending on the turn (without outside effects, just from the format's Tribute Summon rule alone). This makes it the prime target for your removals until we create more stuff for them to want to destroy xD

^like this, my idea is to assemble the format as we go, and from there we'd be able to come here and drop the feedback.... is the format shaping up a bit too slow for your taste? a bit too aggressive? is a certain card too strong? and yes, by "too strong" I mean compared to the other cards here and how it stacks agaisnt them. I mean how much it poisons this well of cards it got dropped in. I am imploring people to tell me if the format is shaping up kind of lame because I don't wanna be too autoritative on the shaping up of the format.... it wouldn't be a group project otherwise xD

I am looking also to not get Archetypes going at the moment. Maybe a bit of support....  something like the "Dark Magic Attack" for your "Dark Magician (sott of speak) rather than the "here's my 10+ cards that specifically support and turbo out Dark Magician".... hopefully this is clear enough xD
If the pool results in the same hypothetical experience one would have as a kid opening up a GX era pack (I play a Dragon deck but pulled 3 E HERO filler cards, 2 Crystal Beast traps, 1 Cyber Dragon-specific spell, 2 Gemini monsters that only slightly change their stats when re-Summoned, and the rare is a Volcanic.... dang it).... then I deem it a failure haha.... [/nervous laugh]

Ah! before I forget... yes. If we DO complete the "base" we do keep building from there on while keeping the base. I'm not aiming for any eventual rotation format, I just wanted to divorse from the IRL card pool for this project, so we can tailor all effects to the format's needs as it goes rather than settling for IRL cards that might "almost" fill the niche we are looking for on any specific scenario. 

Yes, I approve of all mechanics. Many people say the problem with the game is in the sheer amount of mechanics, and I disagree wholeheartedly. I think the natural rise in power creep over time would have been where it was no matter which mechanic had been introduced first or second. You might wanna communicate if you want a different approach from the IRL game for a specific mechanic, like making higher scales in Pendulums gradually harder to get than offering <1 , 8 > as an introduction you can just setup whenever (just dropping a hypothetical example, I don't mean to say I plan do particularly do this... I have no plans for Pendulums yet tbh xD )

Gold Star Mediator [ Continuous Trap ]

Once per turn: You can target 2 face-up monsters on the field; the first target loses 1 Level and the second target gains 1 Level (even if this card leaves the field).

- - - - -

Excuse the formating. I'm on mobile at work with bad internet but wanted to post this one. It can force the opponent into having a high Level monster for the Bull to drop with no Tributes. It can disrupt an Xyz setup and sometimes a Ritual or Synchro but requires some prediction for it to impact. It also fixes your side into it.

When I made it I thought I'd need to add another bonus but I'm starting to think it might be too versatile for its own good. 

12 hours ago, Sleepy said:

Yes, I approve of all mechanics. Many people say the problem with the game is in the sheer amount of mechanics, and I disagree wholeheartedly. I think the natural rise in power creep over time would have been where it was no matter which mechanic had been introduced first or second. You might wanna communicate if you want a different approach from the IRL game for a specific mechanic, like making higher scales in Pendulums gradually harder to get than offering <1 , 8 > as an introduction you can just setup whenever (just dropping a hypothetical example, I don't mean to say I plan do particularly do this... I have no plans for Pendulums yet tbh xD )

It's funny that you brought up Pendulums specifically.

I was wondering how y'all would feel making the "default" scales <0 6>? Levels 5 and 6 never felt distinct irl (whereas stuff like 7 & 8 had distinct pools of support and different playstyles, especially with Dragon monsters). Making the "default" high scale 6 gives Level 5s a unique distinction by being easy to Tribute Summon OR Pendulum Summon (and they could probably play off that distinction).

Tanking Sprite is already unique by being the one of the original 3 that Special Summons, and it is Level 5.

24 minutes ago, Redro said:

It's funny that you brought up Pendulums specifically.

I was wondering how y'all would feel making the "default" scales <0 6>? Levels 5 and 6 never felt distinct irl (whereas stuff like 7 & 8 had distinct pools of support and different playstyles, especially with Dragon monsters). Making the "default" high scale 6 gives Level 5s a unique distinction by being easy to Tribute Summon OR Pendulum Summon (and they could probably play off that distinction).

Tanking Sprite is already unique by being the one of the original 3 that Special Summons, and it is Level 5.

I like that idea. 1 - 8 always seemed too broad for me since it covers most regularly used monsters, and leaving level 1s for no real balancing reason just so they could say "see? The numbers in the scales matter!".

Also yeah, 5 is either inferior to 6 or the same thing. Early Xyz decks made the number 5 matter more for a bit IRL but still. XD

Fire Blast (not part of the name: he's having fun with fire)

Level 2

FIRE

Dinosaur/Effect/Tuner

0/2000

If either player takes effect damage: You can special summon this card from your hand and reduce this card's DEF by the damage taken. if this card's DEF is 0: Banish it and both players take 1000 damage. If this card is banished: you can pay 2000 LP; return this card to your hand.

Sky Fish

WIND

level 5

Fish/Effect/Pendulum

<6>

1600/400

PE: Monsters with ATK that don't result in a whole number when divided by 200 can attack directly except the turn they are summoned.

ME: if a card would be placed on top of its owner's deck: You can add it to your hand instead.

I can't wait to see some synchros!

@Redro this is not really necessary buuuuut could you talk a bit about the flavor of your s/t removal cards? I wanna sketch up something for proxies so I can test (I suck at getting anything memorized with blank image proxies so this is more so a me problem xD ) them and remember them easier. 

@Loleoyou singlehandedly have 50% of the submissions, and I like that enthusiasm but a lot of those are going into non-supported all over the place... first fusion, first ritual, first field that seems to be made for gemini, first pendulum..... nothing seems to particularly care about anybody else's part of the pool and instead is trying to branch out in all directions and decide right from the get go what those directions are gonna be like.... could you also give feedback on Rayfield's or Redro's cards too?

reminder that not all cards are guaranteed aproval. I am trying to keep up with my plan for this but will most likely be unable to work here until the weekend. 

3 hours ago, Sleepy said:

@Redro this is not really necessary buuuuut could you talk a bit about the flavor of your s/t removal cards? I wanna sketch up something for proxies so I can test (I suck at getting anything memorized with blank image proxies so this is more so a me problem xD ) them and remember them easier. 

I want to hear this to.

@Loleoyou singlehandedly have 50% of the submissions, and I like that enthusiasm but a lot of those are going into non-supported all over the place... first fusion, first ritual, first field that seems to be made for gemini, first pendulum..... nothing seems to particularly care about anybody else's part of the pool and instead is trying to branch out in all directions and decide right from the get go what those directions are gonna be like.... could you also give feedback on Rayfield's or Redro's cards too?

I wanted to test the waters with pretty much a card of each type. I'll leave Link and Synchro to anyone else. I'll definitely post some thoughts on these cards. I do want to say a lot of my cards have other's cards in mind. I made several cards whose stats add up to 2000, my rituals were supposed to work with your generic level 8 cards. My field spell was supposed to work with your rules (literally meant to trigger on summon effects twice might have worded it poorly). The fish and fire balast were supposed to work with the themes  of the spells Redro posted.

reminder that not all cards are guaranteed approval. I am trying to keep up with my plan for this but will most likely be unable to work here until the weekend. 

Yeah I just made a lot to see what sticks, learn from that, and build from there

Archived