Yugioh Alternate Custom Project

Sleepy

On 7/4/2022 at 11:22 AM, Redro said:

Okay, I wanted to gauge the power level first before posting some stuff.  I wanted to bring in a bit of a base theme to help springboard some stuff for deckbuilding purposes, but I can understand if these would be 1) too niche/weak, or 2) too initially limiting.

8 flavors of spell/trap removal corresponding to different types.  Took this from Rush Duels, but allowed multiple types and added bonus effects to give 'em a bit more utility and punch.  The ones that activate with fewer types are notably stronger than those that have many.

Love the flavors here and I love the balance between them, at first, I didn't notice some were quick-play and was concerned but now I love it!

On 7/5/2022 at 10:14 AM, Sleepy said:

Gold Star Mediator [ Continuous Trap ]

Once per turn: You can target 2 face-up monsters on the field; the first target loses 1 Level and the second target gains 1 Level (even if this card leaves the field).

Great way to try to make or disrupt extra deck/ritual plays! I think it's perfect the way it is.

On 7/2/2022 at 6:20 PM, Rayfield Lumina said:

877600753252990996.gif?size=96&quality=l

Divine Recompense
Continuous Spell
During your Standby Phase: Draw a number of cards equal to the number of Tribute Summons you made your previous turn. You can only use this effect of "Divine Recompence" once per turn.

Designed with Supply/Backup Squad in mind. In this case, you have more control over the activation of the card (specially in comparison to Backup's case, as some Decks are very well capable of controlling their auto-destruction to feed Supply's. All in all, I gave it a HOPT because you're not really losing anything unlike the goblin cards (even if you did on purpose). Debating if a (max. 3) or similar is in order.

Tributes, Tributes for summons, Normal summons, etc. I think Tribute summon specifically is perfect for where we are at and can errata later if we need to. Haven't yet made a card to support this.

Mathgiraffe
LIGHT Level 4 1500 / 500 [Beast / Tuner / Effect]

If you take damage, you can Special Summon this card from your hand, and if you do, inflict damage to your opponent equal to the difference between that damage and this card's ATK, also, after that, if the damage you inflicted with this effect is equal or lower than this card's DEF, this card is unaffected by your opponent's card effects until the end of the next turn. Once per turn: You can banish 1 monster with a Level from your GY , whose combined ATK/DEF equals 2000; increase or decrease this card's Level by that banished monster's Level, until the end of this turn.

I know it's hard to imagine, but Imagine a giraffe with glasses. Now, it's all scholar looking, has a somewhat quizzical smile, as if subtly laughing about your poor mathematical skills, and is wearing a curly-haired wig holding a couple of heavy books. Anywho, Synchro support xD.

I have a lot of cards made with this stat line because I saw this. I don't want every card to work with the girrafe thought! I still can't wait to see the synchros this is really for!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Sleepy said:

@Redro this is not really necessary buuuuut could you talk a bit about the flavor of your s/t removal cards? I wanna sketch up something for proxies so I can test (I suck at getting anything memorized with blank image proxies so this is more so a me problem xD ) them and remember them easier. 

@Loleoyou singlehandedly have 50% of the submissions, and I like that enthusiasm but a lot of those are going into non-supported all over the place... first fusion, first ritual, first field that seems to be made for gemini, first pendulum..... nothing seems to particularly care about anybody else's part of the pool and instead is trying to branch out in all directions and decide right from the get go what those directions are gonna be like.... could you also give feedback on Rayfield's or Redro's cards too?

reminder that not all cards are guaranteed aproval. I am trying to keep up with my plan for this but will most likely be unable to work here until the weekend. 

Made some (bad but) workable drawings for a few:

IMG_20220706_191754940.thumb.jpg.5770efa600479f911b6cb632b8feb5e1.jpg

IMG_20220706_191825031.thumb.jpg.9198c58f66552586b04d10467afb41ab.jpg

IMG_20220706_191842161.thumb.jpg.8ace4452aa50deb789e6ea260f2866b6.jpg

IMG_20220706_191900583.thumb.jpg.6f20842836e9da1e2555b540b7d9c0e7.jpg

Just some quick drawings, though now that I think about it, these might work better as monster removal cards 😅

Stomping Destruction is obviously just riffing off Stamping Destruction. Honestly, I just pictured it like a mirrored version of Stamping. Absolutely nothing special.

I didn't look up "Elemental Burst" when I'd named the card, but it's a real card already. I tried to draw something that showed all four elements meeting in the center of the card, but... It was too hard xD. It might just be easier to take the real "Elemental Burst" as inspiration (generic beam with the four elements represented as colored orbs).

I couldn't think of a good image for Afterlife's Trial at first, but then I drew this xD

IMG_20220706_194914378.thumb.jpg.712d1b55f5f7276f604d89513f578ce5.jpg

As for Nature's Renewal, I can't think of a good way to represent that.

8 minutes ago, Redro said:

Made some (not bad but) wonderfuly workable drawings for a few:

As for Nature's Renewal, I can't think of a good way to represent that.

Tree with shiny fruit and bugs on it?

If this is still up in the air, I would like to vote in favor of "Wormhole Worm", "Tanking Sprite", and "Magic Bull".

I am also in favor of Ray's "Divine Recompense", and Loleo's "Apprentice Golemn" & "Fire Blast".

Def wanna put a hold on the "Wise" archetype until we develop a little more (and hold off on "Generic Punch" until we get some Gemini monsters). As for Mathgiraffe, nothing against its effects, but I guess I just feel a bit weird about such an early tuner being Level 4 (other than that, nothing against the card xD); I'd vote in favor of it if others feel it's fine.

"Sky Fish" is very interesting. The pend effect works well with both "Wormhole Worm" and "Magic Bull". I am a little iffy about how suddenly it can swing a game though... It'll def need some testing.

All that said, here's a Level 1 and Tribute Summon support Pendulum:

Tiny Vanguard

WIND **

6<>6

Warrior/Pendulum/Effect

PE: Once per turn: You can Special Summon 1 Level 1 monster from your hand in face-up attack position or face-down defense position. If a Level 5+ monster is Normal Summoned: You can target that monster; destroy this card, and if you do, place 1 Guard Counter on that target. (If a monster(s) with a Guard Counter would be destroyed, remove all Guard Counters from that monster(s) instead.)

ME: If this monster is Summoned or flipped face-up: You can change this card's battle position; place 1 Guard Counter on this card.

700/900

8 hours ago, Redro said:

If this is still up in the air, I would like to vote in favor of "Wormhole Worm", "Tanking Sprite", and "Magic Bull".

I am also in favor of Ray's "Divine Recompense", and Loleo's "Apprentice Golemn" & "Fire Blast".

Def wanna put a hold on the "Wise" archetype until we develop a little more (and hold off on "Generic Punch" until we get some Gemini monsters). As for Mathgiraffe, nothing against its effects, but I guess I just feel a bit weird about such an early tuner being Level 4 (other than that, nothing against the card xD); I'd vote in favor of it if others feel it's fine.

"Sky Fish" is very interesting. The pend effect works well with both "Wormhole Worm" and "Magic Bull". I am a little iffy about how suddenly it can swing a game though... It'll def need some testing.

All that said, here's a Level 1 and Tribute Summon support Pendulum:

Tiny Vanguard

WIND **

6<>6

Warrior/Pendulum/Effect

PE: Once per turn: You can Special Summon 1 Level 1 monster from your hand in face-up attack position or face-down defense position. If a Level 5+ monster is Normal Summoned: You can target that monster; destroy this card, and if you do, place 1 Guard Counter on that target. (If a monster(s) with a Guard Counter would be destroyed, remove all Guard Counters from that monster(s) instead.)

ME: If this monster is Summoned or flipped face-up: You can change this card's battle position; place 1 Guard Counter on this card.

700/900

At the moment I haven't updated the project because of stuff IRL that's taken time from me. Basically, my workplace is in some sort of tight spot in the mess of a schedule they produced without enough workers so they are trying to push people into weekends being mandatory for a while (as in, 56 hour weeks instead of 40). I leave this reply to keep things on hold but alive, soooo sorry for this sudden inconvenience.

18 hours ago, Sleepy said:

At the moment I haven't updated the project because of stuff IRL that's taken time from me. Basically, my workplace is in some sort of tight spot in the mess of a schedule they produced without enough workers so they are trying to push people into weekends being mandatory for a while (as in, 56 hour weeks instead of 40). I leave this reply to keep things on hold but alive, soooo sorry for this sudden inconvenience.

Oof. That's pretty sucky.

Thanks for the heads-up though; hopefully things'll calm down for ya soon.

Traffic Control
Continuous Trap

Neither player can Tribute Summon if they have already Normal Summoned during this turn, except by their card effect. Neither player can Normal Summon if they have already Tribute Summoned this turn, except by their card effect. Once per turn, during your Standby Phase, pay 500 LP or destroy this card.

Following up the idea of working with this format's 1 Normal Summon + 1 Tribute per turn, this time I made a work to restrict it. It has maintenance cost because I imagine a card like this would be run in Decks that rarely Tribute Summon and mostly SS, and since the whole idea is to encourage Normal and Tribute, gotta pay for the advantage of it. If you guys agree with this, payment can be adjusted. Also considered a way for the turn player to bypass the effect, such as Tributing something more or paying LP, but that would make it more convoluted. Leaving that idea for consideration.

Enfeeble Beam
Normal Trap

Target 1 face-up card on the field; negate its effects until the end of this turn. If your opponent would activate the effect of a card on the field: You can banish 1 "Enfeeble Beam" from your GY; negate the activation, and if you do, either negate that card's effect or destroy that card.

I keep wondering about the power level of this card. It hits ANY card, not only monsters, so Breakthrough Skill envies. And has an even more powerful effect if a copy is banished, but here Enfeeble Beam envies because BS can repeat its effect by itself. Seems like a lot of set up just to bring up the second effect... and yet, just the normal basic effect seems strong enough to warrant staple-ish status (?) Also considered giving it 2 bulleted effects using 1/2 banished copies for gradual stronger power, but again, seemed too convoluted. I dunno about what you guys feel about that last option, but I find it amusing how you can avoid destruction to keep the card as a brick to perhaps destroy by battle or take up space (Fields, for instance). Oh, and one last thing. It goes for "face-up" cards on the field. Yeah... I was surprised by Penguin Brave, which recognized face-down Defense Position WATER monsters. IDK if I should be surprised by this, as I was kinda under the impression cards didn't have an identity or traits while face-down (similarly to banished face-down cards) but well... you CAN look at your face-down cards, I think, so this all makes sense.

Hey everybody.... Just a little update:
For a change, I have some energy this afternoon and am currently making the cards in DuelingBook as public custom cards. If you look for the cards they should appear. I wish there was a feature for "set names" so I could keep things organized (because I also have my Abystellas over there as "available to everyone" and those are NOT part of this project xD ).

I currently have successfully uploaded my first 3 cards, the first 2 of Rayfield's, and am currently doing the S/T removal Tinkerer posted.
As a reminder, none of these are approved yet... they have to be tested, at least in mockup hands (when they do get approved we'll knock down the sketch art and look for something a bit nicer).

So anybody interested will be able to look for the cards from your end if you have a DuelingBook account and make a custom deck with those...... of course, I still haven't uploaded half of them, and am focusing in the ones that DO have some semblance of art behind them first.

I'll eventually get through everything so don't worry.... I'm not skipping your post or anything, I'm just a zombie that doesn't want the project to get cold if I leave it for too long because we had some nice pace going xD

- - - - - -

EDIT: Ah btw, "Tanking Spirte" got renamed to "Labyrinth Sprite" which is what the flavor entailed (and the art of a pixie sitting in the middle of a garden labyrinth of her own creation). The "Tanking" part of the name was just about the card's basic purpose of taking hits for the team sort of speak.... but makes me think of tanks and therefore machines and heavy artillery soooooo yeah, it had to happen.

Wild Rampage so far also got a little errata. I did not change the effect, just reworded the last bit into:
Activate while you control a Beast, Beast-Warrior, or Winged Beast monster: Destroy 1 Spell/Trap on the field, if you do, all Beast, Beast-Warrior, and Winged Beast monsters you currently control gain 300 ATK.

Haven't tinkered with the effect or tweaked anything as of yet, and honestly I'd first suggest it here if I did plan on it. xD

- - - - - - - -

EDIT 2:

I've uploaded all cards with a sketch to their name, and now I... well, I planned to get to all the currently blank-art cards, in the order in which they appeared in this project soooo I currently only have 1 of those, the first Ritual in loleo's first post. From there I realized DuelingBook has a very very sucky detail: I can't giv eit / RITUAL / EFFECT ] (so all advanced mechanics will look as if they were non-effects in the typing because of this shortcoming but I guess missing the word "effect" is... workable).

Ahem, also.... I am proposing a change on the Ritual. This is the effect:
If Ritual Summoned from the hand: You can return all Special Summoned monsters your opponent controls to the hand. If a monster is Normal Summoned: You can draw 1 card. During your next Standby Phase after this card was sent from your hand/Deck to the GY: You can add 1 Ritual Spell from your Deck to your hand, then discard 1 card.

^ I eliminated some extra words, changed the "one" for "1" pretty much everywhere, and more importantly: I changed the last effect's timing so that now everything goes on during the Standby. You see, the original version is needlessly complicated... it begins with the "if sent to the GY" part, says what it does during resolution, but then says "btw this happens until the End Phase of the turn" THEN it has you discard 1 card but at an even later time (during the next Standby)... I think because the idea is that by then you had your Draw Phase and have 1 more option on what to discard. I think that benefit is not likely to come up all that often and we shouldn't make things so fail-proof in design...

I still personally think this card has a bit too many effects compared to everything else, and all of them being strong effects that don't have much to do with each other to justify being part of the same package here... coupled with the super solid stats (and need I remind that Rituals have a considerable boost this format so this isn't too hard to main anywhere). Sooooo if something in the format needs some further revisions on what to edit, this is on top of my watchlist..... can't say exactly what to do yet though.... as soon as I get more chill days from work I'll update things further and get to test stuff....

f5sN7i7.png

So I'm trying to get some more cards in. 
I'll make the cards even if with blank images, although I'd personally prefer some sort of drawing no matter how sketchy just to differentiate them more easily.

Sooooo no complaints about any edits and stuff I made in the above posts? hmmm.... ok then xD 
I'll proceed. Though this isn't to say these are now unchangeable. Feel free to speak up whenever if there's something that doesn't sound very good.....

EDIT:
I have currently gotten through 20 out of the 28 cards currently presented in the thread.... I also have 1 monster in my notes I haven't even put in here so migh tas well present the written card version and make it the 29th idea xD

Baloon Dragon
WIND [Dragon/Effect] Level 4 1900/400

Once per turn: You can place 1 Helium Counter on it. If this card is destroyed: Inflict 400 damage to your opponent for each Hellium Counter on it.

^Baloon Lizard but offensive and not having to deal with "each Standby Phase" levels of speed. In my notes it does 800 but it occurs to me it might make for a pretty bad idea to create a stall burn option that's too easy to use... unless anybody here enjoys that kinda thing xD

On 7/23/2022 at 8:10 PM, DL  said:

I've read a few of the cards and this seems like a cool idea, with some pretty awesome cards to test outta the starting gate. Enfeeble beam seems very strong. 

Looking forward to seeing more :)

At the moment I gotta note 2 things:
I am still behind on uploading all the suggested cards into DB..... and currently none are really "approved". I've been a bit sluggish on my pace lately because of IRL stuff.
I think that contributes to low activity here for the past week or so xD
I'll get around to that. Feel free to join in. You can post card ideas, or ideas for things you don't particularly like in some of the already suggested cards, or comment in no particular card but on the general feel of the format, or you can just observe too xD

Revenger of the Common Way

Level 12

EARTH

Warrior/Effect/Synchro

3200/2800

1 tuner + 2+non-tuner

If a normal summoned monster you control leaves the field by your opponent's card (Quick Effect): Your opponent must send a card from their hand or field to the GY. You can only activate this effect of "Revenger of the Common Way" once per turn.

We still had no synchro. Didn't want to make too much but didn't want this to die out.

32 minutes ago, Sleepy said:

At the moment I gotta note 2 things:
I am still behind on uploading all the suggested cards into DB..... and currently none are really "approved". I've been a bit sluggish on my pace lately because of IRL stuff.
I think that contributes to low activity here for the past week or so xD
I'll get around to that. Feel free to join in. You can post card ideas, or ideas for things you don't particularly like in some of the already suggested cards, or comment in no particular card but on the general feel of the format, or you can just observe too xD

For sure thinking of some ideas, you can definitely start to have some cards that use the extra set per turn for flip control strategies without it being mega slow like in normal tcg. 

Can't believe you're putting all this stuff on db, seems like a lot of work lol

25 minutes ago, Loleo said:

Level 12

EARTH

Warrior/Effect/Synchro

3200/2800

1 tuner + 2+non-tuner

If a normal summoned monster you control leaves the field by your opponent's card (Quick Effect): Your opponent must send a card from their hand or field to the GY. You can only activate this effect of "Revenger of the Common Way" once per turn.

We still had no synchro. Didn't want to make too much but didn't want this to die out.

I like the fact that its just, a big bungus. The effect gives a lot of leeway to your opponent to pick, and might actually be a downside to this card depending on the opponent's deck

It is a bit of an unfortunate effect it has because if I recall correctly there's just 1 monster removal effect: Loleo's Level 8 Ritual that bounces Special Summoned monsters (still up for test though). This means your Normal Summoned monsters will not be the primary targets for removal most likely. Especailly seeing as it is a 3+ materials card instead of a basic materials kind of card, it'll likely require enough investment to be left as the only mmonster for a turn (in which case it might as well not have an effect.

It makes me a bit uncomfortable that the ritual I mentioned is a mass counter to Special Summons before any other Special Summons were even in the pool of cards made, but it might be the most effective out to this card considering the other options are essentially "wait and see if you get more ATK through effects through lucky draws". 

I'm inclined to suggest it be a 1 Tuner + 1+ non-Tuner monsters monster.
Other than that though the card seems pretty fine and solid. I wanna see how effective it proves.

10 minutes ago, Sleepy said:

It is a bit of an unfortunate effect it has because if I recall correctly there's just 1 monster removal effect: Loleo's Level 8 Ritual that bounces Special Summoned monsters (still up for test though). This means your Normal Summoned monsters will not be the primary targets for removal most likely. Especailly seeing as it is a 3+ materials card instead of a basic materials kind of card, it'll likely require enough investment to be left as the only mmonster for a turn (in which case it might as well not have an effect.

It makes me a bit uncomfortable that the ritual I mentioned is a mass counter to Special Summons before any other Special Summons were even in the pool of cards made, but it might be the most effective out to this card considering the other options are essentially "wait and see if you get more ATK through effects through lucky draws". 

I'm inclined to suggest it be a 1 Tuner + 1+ non-Tuner monsters monster.
Other than that though the card seems pretty fine and solid. I wanna see how effective it proves.

The issue would also be resolved if it was optional, maybe. So if you know the type of cards your opponent has you can choose not to activate it if they get graveyard effects or whatever.

Also gonna work on a small 'archtype' (just a few related flip cards) and hopefully I can post some work tomorrow...

For now tho, I sleep 😴

On 7/13/2022 at 8:55 PM, Rayfield Lumina said:

Traffic Control
Continuous Trap

Neither player can Tribute Summon if they have already Normal Summoned during this turn, except by their card effect. Neither player can Normal Summon if they have already Tribute Summoned this turn, except by their card effect. Once per turn, during your Standby Phase, pay 500 LP or destroy this card.

Following up the idea of working with this format's 1 Normal Summon + 1 Tribute per turn, this time I made a work to restrict it. It has maintenance cost because I imagine a card like this would be run in Decks that rarely Tribute Summon and mostly SS, and since the whole idea is to encourage Normal and Tribute, gotta pay for the advantage of it. If you guys agree with this, payment can be adjusted. Also considered a way for the turn player to bypass the effect, such as Tributing something more or paying LP, but that would make it more convoluted. Leaving that idea for consideration.

Enfeeble Beam
Normal Trap

Target 1 face-up card on the field; negate its effects until the end of this turn. If your opponent would activate the effect of a card on the field: You can banish 1 "Enfeeble Beam" from your GY; negate the activation, and if you do, either negate that card's effect or destroy that card.

I keep wondering about the power level of this card. It hits ANY card, not only monsters, so Breakthrough Skill envies. And has an even more powerful effect if a copy is banished, but here Enfeeble Beam envies because BS can repeat its effect by itself. Seems like a lot of set up just to bring up the second effect... and yet, just the normal basic effect seems strong enough to warrant staple-ish status (?) Also considered giving it 2 bulleted effects using 1/2 banished copies for gradual stronger power, but again, seemed too convoluted. I dunno about what you guys feel about that last option, but I find it amusing how you can avoid destruction to keep the card as a brick to perhaps destroy by battle or take up space (Fields, for instance). Oh, and one last thing. It goes for "face-up" cards on the field. Yeah... I was surprised by Penguin Brave, which recognized face-down Defense Position WATER monsters. IDK if I should be surprised by this, as I was kinda under the impression cards didn't have an identity or traits while face-down (similarly to banished face-down cards) but well... you CAN look at your face-down cards, I think, so this all makes sense.

Traffic Control is interesting.  While it specifically is based around this format and what we've already designed, it also kinda dictates a design direction moving forward.  For TC to be fair, Tribute Summoning has to generally be more worthwhile/used than any other summoning method.  We'd have to be careful to keep that in mind.

I am... not a fan of Enfeeble Beam.  It is suuuper strong.  It might not have Counter Trap speed/nonresponsability, but it is (for all intents and purposes) a costless negation for Normal/Quick-Play/Ritual Spells/Traps.  I will admit though, I am unsure how the second effect works; does it activate if your opponent chains to the Enfeeble Beam? 

On 7/18/2022 at 11:06 PM, Sleepy said:

Baloon Dragon
WIND [Dragon/Effect] Level 4 1900/400

Once per turn: You can place 1 Helium Counter on it. If this card is destroyed: Inflict 400 damage to your opponent for each Hellium Counter on it.

^Baloon Lizard but offensive and not having to deal with "each Standby Phase" levels of speed. In my notes it does 800 but it occurs to me it might make for a pretty bad idea to create a stall burn option that's too easy to use... unless anybody here enjoys that kinda thing xD

Uh, I can't tell if the misspellings of "balloon" and "helium" were on purpose or just to stylize the card 😅

All in all, card seems fine.  Mostly a beater, but plays off the burn damage from its respective Spell/Trap removal.  Personally, the statline seems really high this early on, but then again, that could just be me and my personal hesitancy (in the same vein as having an early Level 4 Tuner).

On 7/24/2022 at 11:35 PM, Loleo said:

Level 12

EARTH

Warrior/Effect/Synchro

3200/2800

1 tuner + 2+non-tuner

On the whole, Revenger is weak, but given the general lack of removal, having "big monster" seems fine so far.  Unfortunately, its summon conditions mean we will need to provide special summon support which... could go bad really quickly.  I'm fine with it getting in though.  I even second Sleepy's suggestion to buff it to 1 Tuner + 1+ non-Tuners.

Finally, just wanted to say hi to @DL . Can't wait to see what ya add!

1 hour ago, Redro said:

I am... not a fan of Enfeeble Beam.  It is suuuper strong.  It might not have Counter Trap speed/nonresponsability, but it is (for all intents and purposes) a costless negation for Normal/Quick-Play/Ritual Spells/Traps.  I will admit though, I am unsure how the second effect works; does it activate if your opponent chains to the Enfeeble Beam? 

I'm 100% behind this, I'm not a fan either. Actually, in funny coincidence I was mentioning this to Sleepy yesterday -noticing that there was something very wrong with it but never came to fix it-. The thing is, in a pretty dumb lapsus, I somehow thought the card would NOT negate effects because it wasn't negating the activation, much like the classic MST noob misunderstanding, lol, super my bad. That's why the second part is for, the supposedly stronger version which can negate activations. (In other words, the first effect is intended to be thrown to something as Chain Link 1 while the game state is open). *Scratches head*. Fix?

Enfeeble Beam
Normal Trap

Target 1 face-up card on the field; negate its effects until the end of this turn (this effect can only be activated as Chain Link 1). If your opponent would activate the effect of a card on the field: You can banish 1 "Enfeeble Beam" from your GY; negate the activation, and if you do, either negate that card's effect or destroy that card.

Would that be enough to fix it? I also thought of a discarding cost, if necessary

Enfeeble Beam

Trap

Cannot be activated as Chain Link 2 or higher unless you banish 1 "Enfeeble Beam" from your GY.  [Discard 1 card/Pay XX00 LP and] Activate 1 of the following effects.

- Target 1 face-up card on the field; negate its effects until the end of the turn.

- If your opponent would activate the effect of a card on the field: Negate the activation, and if you do, either negate that card's effect or destroy that card.

Obviously you can't actually choose the second effect without having to banish another copy from grave beforehand.  Your wording is a lot more concise though and is slightly different functionally from the rewording.

Either way, I understand the card now.  Yeah, it's a lot more balanced if its first effect is locked to Chain Link 1.  It can't be used as interruption, but has utility to help turn off multi-effect monsters or continuous effects which I imagine would give that effect some value.  That secondary effect becomes the card's main draw, but it could be difficult to set that up for now.  All in all, I think I like it now.  Imo, a discard is probably not needed, but maybe a LP payment (800-1500?), since you'll want to activate/resolve multiples of these in a game.

Enfeeble beam feels balanced if its locked behind chain link 1 for sure

here's some stuff I came up with for flips, one of them is generally good for flips, the other work more with other cards of the same archtype

Riot Sorcerer
Level 4 DARK Fiend 1300/1800
FLIP: Add 1 "Riot" card from your Deck to your hand. If this card is sent from the field to the Graveyard, you can flip one monster on your side of the field to face-down defense position, or to face-up defense position.

Riot Defender
Level 4 DARK Warrior 200/2000
FLIP: Target 1 level 4 or lower "Riot" monster in your Graveyard and Special Summon it in face-up defense position or face-down defense position. If this card is sent from the field to the Graveyard, you can flip one monster on your side of the field to face-down defense position, or to face-up defense position.

Riot Commander
Level 7 DARK Warrior 2200/700
You can Special Summon this card by flipping a face-down monster you control face-up, and sending it to the Graveyard. This card gains 300 ATK for each face-down defense position monster you control. (Quick Effect): You can flip a monster on your side of the field to face-up defense position. You can only activate this effect of "Riot Commander" once per turn.

Overthrow
Continuous Trap
(This card is always treated as a "Riot" card.)
If a monster on your side of the field is flipped face-up during your opponent's turn, you can banish 1 "Riot" monster from your Graveyard to draw 1 card. You can only use this effect of "Overthrow" once per turn. During the End Phase, if you control no face-down defense position monsters, destroy this card. You can banish this card from your Graveyard to target 1 "Riot" monster that is banished and shuffle it back into the Deck. 

@Loleo Hey, I was wondering what you think to this edit of "Generic Punch"?

Generic Punch
Field Spell
Once per turn, if a monster is Normal Summoned: You can target 1 monster on the field; immediately after this effect resolves, Normal Summon 1 monster with the same name as that target.

@DL  Just like with Loleo's "Wise" cards, I'm personally still iffy about putting archetypes in so early. Of course, that's my personal hangup. In terms of power, they seem in line with the other cards.  I like how Defender and Commander work with Honed Skill; I'm a little surprised that Sorcerer isn't Spellcaster (to also fit in).

Unfortunately, Riot Commander will not actually trigger flip effects if it is written as-is.  It is probably more useful as a way to send stuff to the GY (outside of Link Summons).  If you want it to trigger flips, maybe we can rewrite it to something similar to this?

Riot Commander
DARK 7*
Warrior/Effect
You can reveal this card in your hand until the End Phase and target 1 Set monster you control; flip that monster to face-up attack or defense position.  You can tribute 1 flipped monster to Special Summon this card (from your hand).  You can target 1 monster you control (Quick Effect): flip it to face-up defense position.  You can only use this effect of "Riot Commander" once per turn.
2200/700

(buffed the effect to allow it to trigger flip monsters + buffed the other effect to let you change the battle position of any of your monsters, not just Set monsters)

Speaking of all these flips, I am curious. @Sleepy Do you think this format can have "Normal Summon in face-up defense position"?  It could open up some interesting design opportunities~ and I'm TOTALLY not saying that because I've made a few cards with that in mind.

7 hours ago, Redro said:

@Loleo Hey, I was wondering what you think to this edit of "Generic Punch"?

@DL  Just like with Loleo's "Wise" cards, I'm personally still iffy about putting archetypes in so early. Of course, that's my personal hangup. In terms of power, they seem in line with the other cards.  I like how Defender and Commander work with Honed Skill; I'm a little surprised that Sorcerer isn't Spellcaster (to also fit in).

Unfortunately, Riot Commander will not actually trigger flip effects if it is written as-is.  It is probably more useful as a way to send stuff to the GY (outside of Link Summons).  If you want it to trigger flips, maybe we can rewrite it to something similar to this?

(buffed the effect to allow it to trigger flip monsters + buffed the other effect to let you change the battle position of any of your monsters, not just Set monsters)

Speaking of all these flips, I am curious. @Sleepy Do you think this format can have "Normal Summon in face-up defense position"?  It could open up some interesting design opportunities~ and I'm TOTALLY not saying that because I've made a few cards with that in mind.

I kind of agree to being iffy at making an early archtype, tho I also wasn't too keen on making them being able to search any flip stuff, so I kept it at a very small archtype for now

Riot sorcerer should definitely be a spellcaster, idk why I put fiend, especially cuz I based him off this old drawing (old version of Riot sorcerer text)

YGORiot1.png.33f8d77f1585adfaac966bb75919b59b.png

I was actually iffy on commander being able to trigger flip effects before tributing the monster, cuz it seems like it might be a little too strong but thats the kind of thing that will only be seen in testing, if these make it to that stage

regardless, thanks for the correction :D had no idea it wouldn't trigger with the way I had it set up.

(PS: The Honed Skill synergy was not intentional but hot damn, theoretically this deck would play as many copies of that as possible lol)

@Redro
Ok so, I'm aware there are 7 posts chockfull of content I need to address xD BUT for now I can only get to this one that I was tagged for:

Sure thing! I can add a rule to allow face-up Defense Position if that's fine with everybody. The anime/manga did it all the time and didn't even correct it until friggin Arc V hahaha.... so there clearly is potential there that the IRL game wasn't using. 

It is also doable in DuelingBook with an extra click so functionally it is something we could replicate if we wanted to duel using this design. n_n

@DL 
My current stance is that I'll aim to be fair and at least test hands with everything suggested, which includes archetypes. I did not mention archetypes being off-limits because hopefully we'll get enough of a base to start working on them a bit. Though for now I am pretty much begging you guys to hold on to archetype ideas for now until later. We don't even have a starter deck's worth of cards.

My main issue is that I worry archetypes will just encourage people to go "I just need to use my own archetype and I'll be fine". This project aims to encourage webbing a network of interactions that take account other people's submissions to a degree. One must be willing to get interested in using other people's cards.

Like, those Rituals have Special Summon counter-measures when we don't even know how Special Summons weight in. We got generic Ritual searches so Ritual Spells need to be a little less good to not force the curb of the game's power too much in their favor. All in an archetype that almost fills the whole deck's monster line-up if we take copies of cards into account.... but well.... that is IF they get approved AS IS... I do have to give them a testing phase though as the submission is posted here [/tries not to cry].

*cough.... anyways, DL umm..... I got a few more things:
- If you see the site's tabs, click on the one that says Beta.... that's the lattest card-maker we got, which has caught up with card mechanics and has the never card templates = )
- Though also, can you post the sketch you got for image separately? I need to get it into DuelingBook.

Archived