Official Pokemon Discussion. (The 5th gen starts now)

Flame Dragon

Salamance is a good candidate. It gets a heck of a lot of Attack (I believe that it can get more than Garchomp with the right EVs) and it's also quite fast. It can also learn Outrage in Platinum (from one of the lovely Move Tutors). Its movepool is also pretty good. It's also one of the better OU Pokemon.

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saturn, do you play competitively?

@Emo: You're team idea is stupid; make a real one.

If you're desperate here are candidates without including Ubers.

Dragon: Salamence, Flygon, Kingdra, Dragonite, Latias.

Dark: TTar, Weavile, Absol, Sharpedo, Cacturne, Drapion, Honchkrow, Crawdaunt, Umbreon, Spiritomb, Shiftry, Houndoom.

Anything else isn't worth mentioning. If you desperately want a Dark/Dragon theme then use 2 of 1 and 1 of the other, then have Pokes to cover your weakneses this will quenche your Dark/Dragon lust while still making an effective team. For example TTar Spiritomb and Flygon would work well with the right back up from other Pokes like Vaporeon and Zapdos. Bear in mind battles aren't all about speed and attacking first. If you've got something slow bulky that hits like a sledge hammer it's worth it. Slower Pokes like Spiritomb can also effectively cripple sweepers with moves like Will-O-Wisp making them harmless to it's self and other buly Pkemon like Vaporeon Zapdos or TTar including many more.

Soul Silver and Heart Gold. Those are the names of the two new pokemon games to come out this fall (in Japan).

Right now that is all we have but, I say, in about 2 months we will know a lot.

I for one can't wait to get these.

Also since it's coming out this fall in Japan we (in the US) should get it some time in the spring.

My parents said they would get me Platinum, but when they went out to get it, they instead got me Silent Hill 3. It isn't bad, but I already had it for GOD'S sake.

EDIT: Nevermind. They went back and got it for me. YAY! <3

Should I run Superpower or Focus Punch on a Banded Azumarril?

Good question, probably Super Power. Choice Pokes normaly switch out after their first move so ATK/DEF decrease become negligable unless you get Pursuited on your way out. Focus Punch is too unreliable on something slow like Azumarill unless you have a Sub which is unlikely on CB sets.

No it won't work like that.

Latias, Salamence, Kingdra, Flygon, Altaria and Empoleon would work. Latias and Altaria are walls while Empoleon stops the weaknesses to your team especially the big gaping whole for Ice moves. Flygon, Kingdra and Salamence are your offensive front.

If you want help with move sets and EVs I'll do that too.

On Smogon people do these things called war stories where the tell a story of one of the better battles, and this is on of mine. It happened some time ago, and I did this all from memory so things aren't perfect, but thanks to the way the battle went it doesn't really matter. Leftovers and Sandstorm damage will be removed from the percents. My comments are in Red

[spoiler=War Story]

My team

2j1ppax.jpg

My opponent's team will be at the end.

I send out Gyarados

Opponent sends out Meta

Meta leads are common so I figure Stealth Rock will come up first then he’ll go boom. I don’t DD because of this and just go for the Earthquake

Gyarados used Earthquake

Metagross took 100%

Super Effective, Critical Hit

Metagross Fainted.

6-5 Me

Gyarados: 100%

That really isn’t how I would want to start a match, but I’ll take it. So lets see what comes in.

Opponent switched in Gyarados

Gyarados ditto. I know I’ll lose since I don’t run Stone Edge, so I go to Rotom knowing he’ll Dance.

I withdraw Gyarados

I switch in Rotom H

Gyarados used Dragon Dance

Gyarados’ speed and attack increased

Rotom: 100%

Gyarados: 100% (+1 ATK, +1 SPE)

I know I can take a DD back Waterfall so I stay in and use Thunderbolt

Gyarados used Waterfall

Rotom took 67% damage

Rotom used Thunderbolt

Gyarados took 100% damage

It’s Super Effective

Gyarados Fainted

6-4 Me

Rotom: 33%

That went as predicted so. His next pokemon is...

Opponent switched in Scizor

I can’t use Overheat thanks to my item (Scarf), so I go back to Gyarados knowing that even Scizor’s best won’t do much to him.

Scizor used Pursuit

Rotom took 33% damage

It’s Super Effect

Rotom Fainted

5-4 Me

Scizor: 100%

I should have seen that coming. Still I continue with my switch

I switched in Gyarados

As I said I know Scizor can’t do much, so I predict the switch. And Dance

Opponent switched in Latias

Gyarados used Dragon Dance

Gyarados’ speed and attack increased

Gyarados: 100% (+1 ATK, +1 Speed)

Latias: 100%

I know that I should be faster now and Ice Fang should put a huge dent into it. So that’s my plan of action

Latias used Thundbolt

Gyarados took 100% damage

It’s super effective

Gyarados fainted

4-4 Tie

Latias: 100%

This just goes to show that things don’t always go as you think they will. Since he out sped me must be scarfed. I go to my Mamoswine knowing he can’t hit damage me.

I switched in Mamoswine

Here I decide to take a gamble. I know he predicts an Ice attack. I also know that his Scizor would make a good switch to take that hit, so I take a risk and go for EQ

Opponent switched out Latias

Opponent switched in Heatran

Mamoswine used Earthquake

Heatran took 100% damage

It’s super effective.

Heatran fainted.

4-3 Me

Mamoswine: 100%

That went very well. Still being Choiced to EQ is bad and he’ll likely go to a pokemon that is immune to it

So, it’s not Latias. Still Bullet Punch will OHKO me so I go to Empoleon to take the it.

I switched out Mamoswine

I switched in Empoleon

Scizor used Bullet Punch.

Empoleon took 12% damage

It’s not very effect.

Empoleon: 88%

All went as I thought it would. Right now I could set up Stealth Rocks, but with 3 pokemon left it won’t be that helpful. I could Surf and do a fair amount, but I think he’ll go to Latias to take the Surf so I go with Ice Beam.

Opponent switched out Scizor

Opponent switched in Salamence

Empoleon used Ice Beam

Salamence took 100% damage

It’s Super effective

Salamence fainted

4-2 Me

Empoleon: 94%

Just like with Heatran that went better then I could ever hope for. So with my opponent down to his last two pokemon the game is just about mine. Still Scizor can kill my team easily so I can’t sit comfortably

I saw that coming. Odds are Scizor is Banded and has Super Power and since I don’t think any of my pokemon can take that hit I let Empoleon go down

Scizor use Superpower

Empoleon took 100% damage

It’s super effect

Empoleon fainted.

Scizor’s Attack Fell

Scizor’s Defence Fell

3-2 Me

That was a needed sacrifice because now things are just about mine. So know I need to pick who to go to. T-Tar and Mamoswine would both be hit very hard by Superpower even with the drop in power so I go to my last choice, Heracross

I switched in Heracross

Close Combat should kill Scizor and Latias running a sweeper set odds are it isn't defensive so even with the half damage CC will hit hard so I go with that

Opponent switch out Scizor

Opponent switch in Latias

Heracross used Close Combat

Latias took 40% damage

Heracross’s Defence Fell

Heracross’ Sp Def Fell.

Heracross: 100%

Latias: 60%

Heracross will likely be the pokemon that will net me the win since the Bullet Punch shouldn’t OHKO me. So I go to Tyranitar

I switched out Heracross

I switched in Tyranitar

Latias used Dragon Pulse

Tyranitar took 23% damage

Tyranitar: 83%

Perfect. Taking 23% means he won’t destroy my sub so that will be my next move

Latias used Dragon Pulse

Tyranitar took 23% damage

Tyranitar used Substitute

Tyranitar set up a substitute

Tyranitar lost 25% of it’s HP.

Tyranitar: 41% (Hiding behind a sub)

With the sub up and Latias unable to destroy it in a turn the game is just about mine

Latias used Dragon Pulse

The substitute took damage

Tyranitar used Crunch

Latias took 60% damage

It’s super effect

Latias fainted

Tyranitar: 47%

3-1 Me

After that he left the game giving me the win. Odds are I still would have won. This is what I think would have happened.

Scizor would have used Bullet Punch which only would have destroy the sub. I’ll then hit him with EQ. That should deal enough damage to put him in range of dying to Close Combat. After that Tyranitar would faint thanks to Bullet Punch going first. My switch would have been to Heracross who would not die from the Bullet Punch, it would do about 70% if memory serves, but Close Combat would have killed him. Even if he had a bit of HP left Mamoswine would have finished with Ice Shard.

Really wish my opponent didn’t run at the end, but what ever.

This was my opponent's team

2wn1zm8.jpg

It just hit me that he was using a team of the most over used pokemon in the game.

Archived