Official Pokemon Discussion. (The 5th gen starts now)

Flame Dragon

I'm waiting for the Europe release, since we're cautious about buying from the US after Amazon's surprise extra cost. Anyhow I get the Giratina order for Preordering. However I might keep it back till August, so I have it when I go up for Yorkshire, otherwise I'd have completed it already even with my way of training.

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm waiting for the Europe release' date=' since we're cautious about buying from the US after Amazon's surprise extra cost. Anyhow I get the Giratina order for Preordering. However I might keep it back till August, so I have it when I go up for Yorkshire, otherwise I'd have completed it already even with my way of training.

[/quote']

Leaked roms are epic on flash carts. :P

I'm kinda pissed that they haven't decided about Latios yet. He is still under suspect, right?

Manaphy deserves to be OU, its just another 600 BST legend with a not-so-diverse movepool. Like Jirachi, and Celebi.

Porygon2 also needs to be moved up to OU. I used it on my OU team and it ass rapes Gyarados, Jolteon, Vaporeon, Heatran, Salamence, etc...

I'm kinda pissed that they haven't decided about Latios yet. He is still under suspect' date=' right?

Manaphy deserves to be OU, its just another 600 BST legend with a not-so-diverse movepool. Like Jirachi, and Celebi.

Porygon2 also needs to be moved up to OU. I used it on my OU team and it ass rapes Gyarados, Jolteon, Vaporeon, Heatran, Salamence, etc...

[/quote']

Their casting the vote now. We should know his fate by month end.

Placement on the pokemon tier list doesn't matter. A fair number of pokemon work well in OU but aren't used enough to get them their.

I've been playing alot of Diamond so I can raise them for Platinum. I won't be getting Platinum for a few month, so I can raise them (on Diamond). I also got my Wi-Fi to start working on Diamond.

Though, I have a question. Does Platinum have Pal Park like Diamond/Pearl? (I'm pretty sure it does, but I'm just making sure.)

• 2 weeks later...

So with most of this threads dscussion having moved to the Platinum thread, I think it's time to try starting up a new one.

So with Platinum now out how will your IRL teams change?

For me I'm going to add in Rotom since he now isn't outclassed by the other ghost pokemon and can counter Scizor beautifully.

Rotom-H is Spin blocker king, if you don't know that then you are obviously a n00b. Also Curse Barrel means Bibarel with Curse; Curse is a great move on Bibarel because its ability doubles the stat increases giving it +2ATK and DEF. Also I want to use a Jirachi because it's suck a great check on big Meta threats and handles a multitude of other things.

I'm gonna start a team on my legit Pearl, so here's what I have so far

Physical Wall:

Bastiodon w/ Leftovers

Bold

252 DEF/ 124 HP/ 132 SP. DEF

Iron Defense

Stealth Rock

Block

EQ/Stone Edge/Toxic

Iron Defense is set-up, and helps with his amazing DEF.

Stealth Rock is good.

Block is for trapping Phys. Sweepers into a horrible stall war.

Last move is under consideration, I want something to use with Block, or else it becomes pointless stalling. EQ is great, but doesn't get STAB. Stone Edge gets STAB, but with Bastiodon missing out on ATK EV's, and only 5 PP, I don't expect anything spectacular from this. And Toxic Stall is a jabroni

What I'm raising now, EV training is a jabroni when you first start out, and what I've counted doesn't correspond with what I've gained. I love his huge Base DEF and I assume he'll be able to take almost anything amazingly well.

And I have no idea what else to put in there. I also have no idea if Bastiodon is any good. It's UU, but it's outclassed by multiple Phys Walls.

I could probably make a Sandstorm team out of this with TTar, Heatran, etc., but I don't know what to put in a Sandstorm team outside of TTar and maybe Heatran.

Help?

Urr, Bastiodon? Use Hippowdon, it's better. Bastiodon's 4* weakness to Fighting means it won't be stalling any Physical Sweepers whatsoever. Block would only be good for switching to something else on the blocked Pokemon to set up, not much else.

Hippowdon / Physical Wall @ Leftovers

252 HP / 168 Def / 88 SpD

Impish

~ Earthquake

~ Slack Off

~ Stealth Rock

~ Roar / Toxic / Stone Edge / Ice Fang

As far as physical walling goes, you won't find many Pokémon better than Hippowdon in DP. Rock resistance, 10% better overall physical Defense than Skarmory, and a one turn recovery move without any drawback makes Hippowdon a hard Pokémon to budge. It is easily the best Tyranitar switch-in in the game, it is a solid counter to Salamence which is not weak to Fire Blast, and it is never OHKOed by Lucario even after a Swords Dance. Not including Explosion and Selfdestruct, no Pokémon in the game can OHKO Hippowdon with any physical attack.

With amazing defenses and a rather shallow support movepool, Hippowdon is a perfect candidate for use of Stealth Rock. It can set up the entry hazard and then use Slack Off to recover any damage it takes, and it can even utilize Roar effectively to pile up residual damage on your opponent's team. Ice Fang may seem like it has good coverage, but it is only more powerful than Earthquake against Flying-types, which frequently employ Roost anyway. Salamence and Flygon are really the only Pokemon that Ice Fang deals significant damage to; Salamence is almost as crippled by Roar, and Flygon is rare and is not going to deal much damage to Hippowdon anyway. Stone Edge deals more damage to Flying-types, notably Gyarados, who loves to switch into Hippowdon. Finally, Toxic is a great move all around and goes perfectly with Hippowdon's stalling capabilities, though you should watch out for Substitute.

If you already have a Stealth Rock user, you can replace Stealth Rock with any of the moves suggested in the fourth moveslot.

This is the best lead possible for a Sandstorm team thanks to it's Sand Stream (Tyranitar works but not as well). If you want help with that ask Flame Dragon; he has one/ is training one.

Also I should point out that Stall is more often than not a team effort ond not a job of a specific Pokemon like a Rappid Spinner.

Urr' date=' Bastiodon? Use Hippowdon, it's better. Bastiodon's 4* weakness to Fighting means it won't be stalling any Physical Sweepers whatsoever. Block would only be good for switching to something else on the blocked Pokemon to set up, not much else.

Hippowdon / Physical Wall @ Leftovers

252 HP / 168 Def / 88 SpD

Impish

~ Earthquake

~ Slack Off

~ Stealth Rock

~ Roar / Toxic / Stone Edge / Ice Fang

As far as physical walling goes, you won't find many Pokémon better than Hippowdon in DP. Rock resistance, 10% better overall physical Defense than Skarmory, and a one turn recovery move without any drawback makes Hippowdon a hard Pokémon to budge. It is easily the best Tyranitar switch-in in the game, it is a solid counter to Salamence which is not weak to Fire Blast, and it is never OHKOed by Lucario even after a Swords Dance. Not including Explosion and Selfdestruct, no Pokémon in the game can OHKO Hippowdon with any physical attack.

With amazing defenses and a rather shallow support movepool, Hippowdon is a perfect candidate for use of Stealth Rock. It can set up the entry hazard and then use Slack Off to recover any damage it takes, and it can even utilize Roar effectively to pile up residual damage on your opponent's team. Ice Fang may seem like it has good coverage, but it is only more powerful than Earthquake against Flying-types, which frequently employ Roost anyway. Salamence and Flygon are really the only Pokemon that Ice Fang deals significant damage to; Salamence is almost as crippled by Roar, and Flygon is rare and is not going to deal much damage to Hippowdon anyway. Stone Edge deals more damage to Flying-types, notably Gyarados, who loves to switch into Hippowdon. Finally, Toxic is a great move all around and goes perfectly with Hippowdon's stalling capabilities, though you should watch out for Substitute.

If you already have a Stealth Rock user, you can replace Stealth Rock with any of the moves suggested in the fourth moveslot.

This is the best lead possible for a Sandstorm team thanks to it's Sand Stream (Tyranitar works but not as well). If you want help with that ask Flame Dragon; he has one/ is training one.

Also I should point out that Stall is more often than not a team effort ond not a job of a specific Pokemon like a Rappid Spinner.

[/quote']

lol copy and paste off of smogon.

Also I don't have a Hippowdon but I do know a bit about him since I gave TAG one for his new team. But yea Hippowdon is alot better then Bastiodon since he is faster, can fight back, and can recover off damage very well. Main thing you need to look for are special attacks since that will just laugh at your inability to take their attacks. When your using him it is best to also have a pokemon that can take Special based attacks. If you can't get that go for a pokemon that can take a Water, Grass, and Ice attacks.

Also, i posted this in the Platinum thread, but this could also do to be over here/

A note is that this isn't perfect and it only covers the OU pokemon.

Sweepers

Special: Alakazam, Azelf, Empoleon, Gengar, Heatran, Jolteon, Magnezone, Porygon-Z, Starmie, Suicune, Togekiss, Yanmega, Zapdos

Physical: Aerodactyl, Breloom, Donphan, Dugtrio, Flygon, Gyarados, Heracross, Machamp, Mamoswine, Scizor, Snorlax, Weavile,

Mix: Dragonite, Electivire, Infernape, Kingdra, Lucario, Salamence, Tentacruel,

Support: Aerodactyl, Bronzong, Donphan, Dragonite, Forretress, Heatran, Ninjask, Skarmory, Tentacruel, Vaporeon,

Wall: Blissey, Bronzong, Cresselia, Dusknoir, Forretress, Skarmory,

Tank: Empoleon, Gyarados, Machamp, Magnezone, Snorlax, Suicune, Vaporeon, Zapdos

Can do all over above: Celebi, Gliscor, Hippowdon, Jirachi, Latias, Metagross, Rhyperior, Swampert, Tyranitar

If you spot any mistake just point them out. Also if you want me to add a pokemon ask, and if I think it should be on the list I'll add it.

I has a metagross that has Bullet Punch' date=' Meteor Mash, Confusion and Psychic.

[/quote']

Metagross doesn't work well as a mix attacker. His mainly a tank and physical attacker/sweeper. This means drop the last to moves. If I knew more about your team and what you want for him I can tell you more.

In reference to that list, Zapdos is more commonly used as a wall than Special attacker so either move it or put it on both. There's also Emploleon who can make for a great late game sweeper.

Also Hippowdon's boost it get's from Sand Storm and those SpD EVs means it becomes equally bulky on that side of the spectrum.

In reference to that list' date=' Zapdos is more commonly used as a wall than Special attacker so either move it or put it on both. There's also Emploleon who can make for a great late game sweeper.

[b']Main reason Zap gets so much use is that it isn't only a wall, but also an attacker. I just listed any of their uses. I know that about Empoleon. I have him down as both.[/b]

Also Hippowdon's boost it get's from Sand Storm and those SpD EVs means it becomes equally bulky on that side of the spectrum.

I don't think he does. The bosst only goes to rocks if I'm not mistaken. But in any case he as many uses, so he's in the can do many things group.

Archived