Dragonball Evolution

Exyst

In the trailer' date=' Goku utters the line "I don't think I'm ready for this." That is the exact [b']opposite[/b] of Son Goku! Piccilo is not even green. They have the characters by name, but not by personality. Let my friend explain it to you...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5LfI-URyU0&feature=channel_page

Western mentality. A super confident hero doesn't sell. One who is self-doubting and conflicted does.

:/

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its an adaption. Goku is allowed to feel unsure of himself, and remember this isn't the full grown adult Goku this is him just starting out as the worlds protector.

Piccolo is green, its just that some shots or photos haven't added a heavier green to his skin. We really don't know the case so wait and see.

Its an adaption. Goku is allowed to feel unsure of himself' date=' and remember this isn't the full grown adult Goku this is him just starting out as the worlds protector.

Piccolo is green, its just that some shots or photos haven't added a heavier green to his skin. We really don't know the case so wait and see.

[/quote']

Even then, if you see DragonBall when Goku was a kid, he was still confident. He never once backed down from a challenge. Even in the Cell Games he's just all like "Okay Cell, you win. I lost." Also, the kiss scene is falsely depicting Goku. He only married Chi-Chi because he thought wedding meant food.

Again, you need romantic subplot if it's coming out of Hollywood.

But really, they are going to be completely redefining Goku as a character in this movie. Just one of the many reasons this movie will not work.

Of course, having no expectations of this movie, I may be pleasantly surprised. I doubt it though.

If you take Anime/Manga Goku and completely transfer him into a real live movie without changing certain aspects of him then whats the point of the movie? Might as well watch or read DB/DBZ. You guys just need to be a little more excepting of change. Again another example is Heath Ledger Joker. Different Look, different personality, his own entity. It worked out extremely well and we all love this Joker.

Who knows DBE Movie Goku might have the same response (although not as critical as The Joker).

If you take Anime/Manga Goku and completely transfer him into a real live movie without changing certain aspects of him then whats the point of the movie? Might as well watch or read DB/DBZ. You guys just need to be a little more excepting of change. Again another example is Heath Ledger Joker. Different Look' date=' different personality, his own entity. It worked out extremely well and we all love this Joker.

Who knows DBE Movie Goku might have the same response (although not as critical as The Joker).

[/quote']

Yes, but the personality is the same. Heath Ledger Joker was meniachal and always had a trick up his sleeve just like the Joker we all know and love.

DragonBall Evolution is completely different. They're re-defining Goku and making him absolutely nothing like the Son Goku Akira Toriyama created. it's not even close to the FUNimation Goku...and that's saying something!

But we really haven't seen anything. But the movie needs to appeal to an entire audience new and old to DB. So Goku may have a hint of unsureness in his abilities, but thats what appeals:

A super confident hero doesn't sell. One who is self-doubting and conflicted does.

But we really haven't seen anything. But the movie needs to appeal to an entire audience new and old to DB. So Goku may have a hint of unsureness in his abilities' date=' but thats what appeals:

A super confident hero doesn't sell. One who is self-doubting and conflicted does.

I don't think they're trying to appeal to the fanbase at all. They're banking on the name "Dragon Ball" to draw in the crowds, and remaking everything else to appeal to people who don't know anything about the show. I'm not expecting much similarity to the show/manga at all. We'll be lucky if we get a few call back jokes from the original series.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a review discussing this terrible excuse of a film.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/review/dragonball-evolution

I am definitely not seeing this just for the lulz. I'll wait till it's free on On-Demand or if it airs on television. Whatever the case, I am not going to pay to see this movie.

problematica, since you seem to be the only one who saw both the Street Fighter Movie and Dragonball Evolution, which would you say is worse? Dragonball Evolution, right?

I don't care what you people say' date=' I think it will be awesome. Is there an Eternal Dragon in it? I still can't wait.

[/quote']

No, the only non-human characters that I know of are Piccolo and Oozaru, the latter being a single entity that represents the God of Destruction or whatever.

So yeah, it's terrible.

Archived