Official Bleach Discussion Thread

Maxdmilleo

I dropped this pretty much right after the zero squad went down, then I came back at some point to peek out of curiosity and there were giant hands and chicken-things running around. It was weird but made me skim through the chapters and hopefully feel better about this series by not worrying about the weekly pacing of what I had to look through.

I have to say the Uryu vs B fight, the Zaraki + Hitzugaya + Byakuya vs giant guy fight, and Ichigo's "all powers in one" vs the final boss... I was actually kinda excited about the side fights and the fact Ichigo's was gonna start.

I am super disappointed that most of those fights ended in the enemies being overwhelming against everyone in the shinigami side including a somewhat absurd amount of upgrades, then Yhwach repeating the "don't need side fights anymore". They dedicated quite a while to develop some of those, like, what? two months combined? It was not only cheap but at this point those fights were the send-of for those characters. They won't get to display a fight in this manga, ever, and it was just ruined. 

That technique by the fullbringer, I just don't understand the "I help you there just now so we even, bye" attitude. The whole existence of everything in-universe is at stake, so no character in Bleach should have that kind of response a la "not my problem" when that very person's existence depends on the success of Ichigo's mission.

Where's Urahara? Don't tell me after all this time of coolness that lethal doze enemy actually killed him?

Where's Isshin for that matter? Wasn't he plotting something with Urahara involving Ichigo while all mysterious-looking? Did that happen already and I just missed it?

I can't imagine how Yhwach's overpoweredness can be taken down. Aizen is actually the best thing I saw. About time. Aizen should have joined waaaaay earlier. I still don't quite get why the 8th captain requested to talk with him earlier in this arch, only to leave him outside with no security but still not having him untied. "I want you to help me but.... nah not anymore".
Which there'll be issues to handle if Aizen doesn't die at the end of all this....

Does Ichigo still have the ability to unlock the mode he used when he fought Aizen? It is evident he'd have to use it if he can. Not sure if they'd be able to fix him again but they might so maybe there's not even a drawback anymore to it.

Some of these are legit questions, some are complaints, some are both xD
If this is really the last volume, there's pretty much no time for anything else to happen than the final fight with Kubo's pacing....

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where's Urahara? Don't tell me after all this time of coolness that lethal doze enemy actually killed him?

Where's Isshin for that matter? Wasn't he plotting something with Urahara involving Ichigo while all mysterious-looking? Did that happen already and I just missed it?

Last we saw Urahara, he and Grimmjow were dying and Nel was rushing towards them. She'll probably save them. Isshin shows up in 674, and again last chapter

Does Ichigo still have the ability to unlock the mode he used when he fought Aizen? It is evident he'd have to use it if he can. Not sure if they'd be able to fix him again but they might so maybe there's not even a drawback anymore to it

It'd be boring if he used the same toy again. Also, when Ichigo Mugetsu'd Aizen, Aizen actually regenerated from it and probably would've been fine if not for Urahara's seal. I don't think Mugetsu can take down Yhwach.

[spoiler=Wait a second]

QwQBqDg.png

If that was the reason behind Bankais being stolen, shouldn't they not have been able to steal Toshiro's? Because his still had potential as we saw in his last fight where he turned into an adult to use the newfound power. 

EDIT: Wait never mind. Forgot the real Yhwach stole his Bankai a chapter later.

[spoiler=Well]

Did Ichigo get his old Zangetsu back? Does that mean we will actually never know what Ichigo's new powers were supposed to be?

I think there's only one or two more chapters left. I know there was an announcement, but apparently the kanji used to announce Bleach and Nisekoi's endings translated to "climax" which doesn't necessarily mean the last chapter.

I dunno, but I'm guessing Yhwach was actually defeated here.

And upon rereading the Thousand Year War, I noticed something. Yhwach wants to destroy everything, but he never said why he wanted to. The only remote explanation we got resembling a backstory was half a chapter describing Yhwach as a weird baby, and that's it.

It just feels like the editors want Blech to end so that can run something new to try and get the next big hit. 

There's too much unresolved stuff for this to be the way Kubo actually wants to end it. 

I'm hoping that one day the anime will come back, bring Kubo on board and he rewrites the anime TYBW arc to be how he wanted it, instead of how time forced it to be. Maybe he'll kill of Byakuya this time as well, 

It just feels like the editors want Blech to end so that can run something new to try and get the next big hit. 

There's too much unresolved stuff for this to be the way Kubo actually wants to end it. 

I'm hoping that one day the anime will come back, bring Kubo on board and he rewrites the anime TYBW arc to be how he wanted it, instead of how time forced it to be. Maybe he'll kill of Byakuya this time as well, 

Or maybe as a movie or two, I could see that happening. I don't necessarily blame the editors since it's good to get new blood into the magazine and Bleach has been kept in for so long because the volumes at least sold a decent amount. 

I think the final arc could become a decent sendoff if Kubo condenses a lot of things and trims more of the bullshit out.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it's over now.

[spoiler=And damn, what a disappointment.]Y'know why this ending was unsatisfying? It made me realize why I hated the main characters. Ichigo never had a strong motivator throughout his life as a character. At least Naruto wanted to be the Hokage and sheet: Ichigo just wanted to... protect people? Like, isn't that a natural instinct? He never had a concrete motivator that made him stand out from the rest of the Generic Shonen Protagonist Crowd.

I don't care about shipping so the whole IchiHime and RukiRenji thing doesn't bother me, but just... why? The whole timeskip "where are they now" ending didn't actually resolve any questions that we were left with about the mains. Plus, it didn't answer anything about the state of Soul Society (except for the rebuilding effort), and the Soul King is still dead without someone to fill his place. And remember, the Soul King is the whole linchpin of the universe. Not having one is Really Bad™. We don't get to see Harribel, Grimmjow, Yoruichi... all the side characters who captured our attention more than the damn strawberry did.

And plus, what the hell was that whole thing with Yhwach's reiatsu reappearing, and Kazui blowing it up with a touch? I think it's supposed to be him reaching out across the timeline as a last "funk you" to Ichigo in their final battle, but damn. It made me realize just how downhill the plotting for battles in this series had gone.

If there was one redeeming factor to this chapter, it was Aizen's little speech regarding Yhwach's motives. It was bittersweet for Aizen to talk about how death is needed in life because it brings courage, and then contrast to his imprisonment for the rest of eternity. However, that bit was really out of character: seriously, Aizen waxing about courage and other shonen traits? Really? Broke my suspension of disbelief.

So yeah, this ending wasn't going out with a bang. It was the sad, anticlimactic sputter of a deflating balloon. I'm glad for the ride, but I'm now glad as hell it's over.

On to Nanatsu no Taizai!

[spoiler=Bleach and Pokemon]Rough week, Ash loses again, and Bleach prints probably the worst ending I've ever seen from a manga. Aizen is sealed again, somehow. We still don't know who the new Soul King is. Urahara, Grimmjow, Yoruichi, and her brother I guess died, since we haven't seen them. No idea what happened to Icheibei and the Royal Guard. The pairings lack of development, although realistically they are decent. Everything just seems dull and a little forced. Well at least its over.

I don't think Kubo knew how to fill in the holes. On top of what was already said about this chapter, I didn't feel like they took down the bad guy in an interesting or exciting way at all. Too many characters did not have enough of a conclusion, too many characters jumped from point A to point C without enough development. 

I didn't like Naruto's ending but I think it was still better than Bleach's.

The entire alphabet fighting should be erased completely and use that to finish all these fights properly and give more development....

[spoiler=Meh]

The shipping feels out of nowhere. Not like any pairing would have been all that good to begin with so, whatever, but I'd expect to see Ichigo with Rukia and Orihime with Uryu.

Is Ichigo's dad the new king or something? the need for a king altogether seemed to get forgotten over time, and Urahara & Co. never showed up again at all.

It's clear to me Kubo didn't know how to write this down at all. I wonder if he'll do another series right now after this....

Bach is alive. He's in Muken. It's underneath the Seiretei. That's why the "final vestiges" of Yhwach's power are in there with Aizen, because that's where Yhwach was the entire time. Aizen contained Yhwach's final power. You can see the footsteps walking away from Aizen which clearly belonged to Yhwach.

Page for reference. The top panel is preluded by Yhwachs power in SS.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm gonna miss Bleach, a little bit.

That video contains a cool analysis of what Bleach was and where things went wrong. But it's not wholly negative, it points out a lot of Kubo's strengths and the strengths Bleach exemplified back in the day. It's worth the watch.

I never really shipped Ichigo and Rukia, I always thought it'd be weird with the age difference. She's like...hundreds of years older than he is. So I never considered an option besides Orihime.

I think Kubo could actually retire if he wanted to since Bleach made him worth millions. But if he draws manga again, I hope he teams up with a writer. If you get a good writer to split the work with him, I think he could actually draw a superb manga. It's covered more in depth in that video, but Kubo's art was actually pretty amazing in the early days when he still cared.

It's a shame that the series went out with such a sputter, but I'll fondly remember the early arcs and some parts of the Hueco Mundo arc as well. 

Archived