Anyone else seeing this?

Icy

well people are obssed over ocg i got a set that is almost perfect ocg and im gatting 5/10.And the newbs not that bad as long as they know what to do but still we still have to be mean i mean you think pikachu or hunter or anyone else became such great card makers by people being "nice"?

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I honestly think that people should stop freaking out about ocg and effects. But pics should still be realistic. I notice on a bunch of "THIS IS MY FIRST CARD" threads that people are neglecting cards because new members are still just learning. It's really annoying because i love to view the realistic cards threads.

They are just obsessed with OCG like I said on MSN. They don't know when to fix OCG and when not to. Prime example is' date=' like you said on MSN, Can, not May. I mean, it's the same thing, only thing that one is osed in the Official Card Game, what actually mean OCG, and the other thing isn't. OCG should be only and I repeat, [i']only[/i] used to correct something when the effect isn't understandable.

Newbies should be treated as newbies, if the poster is new and made a few, minor errors, don't go all apeshit at their face, just say the errors, but mostly concentrate on the effect, rather than OCG.

Lol i freakin love this post any way it like this

WTF did i just see a noob post damn hey everyone 5 points to who ever makes him feel like hes a worthless piece of sheet that we HAVE to clean up first

*takes breath after long quote

any way my point is valid.

My ideas to your comments Icy.

Effects are suffering - Then make a clan of Card Making Legends to help people with Effects.

Language is becoming prime - Then make a Clan of CC Legends to help.

Newbies are not being treated as newbies - And by that, do you mean they're not being treated like trash, or they're not being helped?

Guest JoshIcy

Well' date=' then get people who don't hate n00bs, and help them.

I only help ones without an attitude, which is rare these days.

[/quote']

Then you're part of the problem.

I get really, really mad seeing people saying "Fail 0/10" (etc.). It displeases me to see that any person commenting on the thread is a bad comment just to get their post count up (or something else). And of course, only people like me (such as the people commenting on this thread) would actually say "I'll help you out, You'll get better it just takes time to figure it out".

My bad for being frank about people's failings, then, when I should've been smothering them with hugs and kisses for bumbling along the road to irrelevance.

Sorry, Icy, but I'm going to have to disagree with you here...

Unlike you, some of us tend to have higher standards, and if by chance, we extend those standards to others, than it's only a good thing. Why accept mediocrity when you can demand perfection?

I think that criticism (constructive or otherwise), always makes great incentive to improve as a cardmaker. Furthermore, it's laughable that you're trying to further coddle YCM's members, especially when so many of them are down-right trashy. If anything, you should be cracking down on new members right now, since so many of them are pathetically lacking.

Demand perfect grammar, not chatspeak.

Demand professionalism in everything that members do.

Demand class and sophistication in expression, in card names, in OCG, and in images.

Demand perfection.

Sorry' date=' Icy, but I'm going to have to disagree with you here...

Unlike you, some of us tend to have higher standards, and if by chance, we extend those standards to others, than it's only a good thing. Why accept mediocrity when you can demand perfection?

I think that criticism (constructive or otherwise), always makes great incentive to improve as a cardmaker. Furthermore, it's laughable that you're trying to further coddle YCM's members, especially when so many of them are down-right [i']trashy[/i]. If anything, you should be cracking down on new members right now, since so many of them are pathetically lacking.

Demand class and sophistication in expression, in card names, in OCG, and in images.

Demand perfection.

RIGHT ON, DUDE!

Sorry if this strikes a personal cord, Icy, but I've never really been of your policies when it comes to new members. Just because you scaled the stages between new member to Moderator very, very quickly doesn't justify all these pro-new member sentiments. I can see where you would get such sympathy, but it's not really a good idea.

Most new members are rude, trashy, tacky, and painfully full of themselves without good reason. The (harsh) criticisms and scorn of others are what really gives them the incentive to become better cardmakers. By doing what you say, and accepting them as they are now, we get nowhere.

Guest JoshIcy

Sorry if this strikes a personal cord' date=' Icy, but I've never really been of your policies when it comes to new members. Just because you scaled the stages between new member to Moderator very, very quickly doesn't justify all these pro-new member sentiments. I can see where you would get such sympathy, but it's not really a good idea.

Most new members are rude, trashy, tacky, and painfully full of themselves without good reason. The (harsh) criticisms and scorn of others are what really gives them the incentive to become better cardmakers. By doing what you say, and accepting them as they are now, we get nowhere.

[/quote']

These new members are the core of the site. And are far more important that me or you, ever will be. So my policies reflect that.

And if someone is harsh and whatnot. It is your goal to smile and change that. Emphasis on the smile. Thats how I will always see it. They aren't even treated nicely.

These new members are the core of the site. And are far more important that me or you' date=' ever will be. So my policies reflect that.

And if someone is harsh and whatnot. It is your goal to smile and change that. Emphasis on the smile. Thats how I will always see it. They aren't even treated nicely.[/quote']

Not really... I would rather have a site filled with talented, professional, and sophisticated members than a bunch of amateurs...

I wasn't saying that the new members are harsh. They wouldn't dare to be, at least to me. It's not my job to smile, unless someone deserves it. They shouldn't be given special treatment unless they've earned it.

This is YCM, not a tea party, and even if it were a tea party... You wouldn't find any new members on my invite list.

Guest JoshIcy
These new members are the core of the site. And are far more important that me or you' date=' ever will be. So my policies reflect that.

And if someone is harsh and whatnot. It is your goal to smile and change that. Emphasis on the smile. Thats how I will always see it. They aren't even treated nicely.[/quote']

Not really... I would rather have a site filled with talented, professional, and sophisticated members than a bunch of amateurs...

I wasn't saying that the new members are harsh. They wouldn't dare to be, at least to me. It's not my job to smile, unless someone deserves it. They shouldn't be given special treatment unless they've earned it.

Everyone starts somewhere. Your first statement doesn't apply to me.

As for the second. Imho, "Respect is given until lost". I've always followed that, and always will. No matter where I travel.

The problem is when the newbs don't listen. Usually I don't even bother with newbie threads, but in the past, I have gone and visited them, commented, and given tips and advice for how to make better cards. Do you know what happens? 3 seconds later, that member posts a new thread, with another completely subpar card. After going through 3 or 4 of these threads by the same member, one gets a little tired of it. I feel its alright to be harsh on newbies (note harsh, not flaming. There is a difference). I remember when I was still new around here, people told me up front, my cards sucked, and I needed to learn OCG. I don't like being told I suck, so I went and I found out what the hell OCG was, and I started using it. You coddle them too much and fill your posts with smileys, they'll never learn. [/rant]

The fact is, OCG is the easiest thing to rate on a card, thus most members...rate on that. I used to be an OCG nazi too. It happens. And to be honest, I don't see very many good effects that don't also come with good OCG. They seem to go hand in hand.

The problem is when the newbs don't listen. Usually I don't even bother with newbie threads' date=' but in the past, I have gone and visited them, commented, and given tips and advice for how to make better cards. Do you know what happens? 3 seconds later, that member posts a new thread, with another completely subpar card. After going through 3 or 4 of these threads by the same member, one gets a little tired of it. I feel its alright to be harsh on newbies (note harsh, not flaming. There is a difference). I remember when I was still new around here, people told me up front, my cards sucked, and I needed to learn OCG. I don't like being told I suck, so I went and I found out what the hell OCG was, and I started using it. You coddle them too much and fill your posts with smileys, they'll never learn. [/rant']

The fact is, OCG is the easiest thing to rate on a card, thus most members...rate on that. I used to be an OCG nazi too. It happens. And to be honest, I don't see very many good effects that don't also come with good OCG. They seem to go hand in hand.

We do not tell you to become an over-happy hugging person, we're telling you to help them further on with their skill. If that new member neglects your help, it's his fault, and he will most likely be called a noob and people might say "you suck" to him/her. I know what you mean with people who don't listen to your advice. It's a sad matter, but most of them finds the way after a while, but will have had the hard way trhough.

You say you was told that you sucked at card-making? So did I, along with countless of other people on this site. The best thing we can do, is avoid telling them the same thing, and give them help.

Be as harsh as you want, as long as it helps them.

Sorry' date=' Icy, but I'm going to have to disagree with you here...

I think that criticism (constructive or otherwise), always makes great incentive to improve as a cardmaker. Furthermore, it's laughable that you're trying to further coddle YCM's members, especially when so many of them are down-right [i']trashy[/i]. If anything, you should be cracking down on new members right now, since so many of them are pathetically lacking.

Demand perfection.

To demand perfection is maybe a little too strong wording. True, the whole point of YCM is to make friends, have fun and improve as card-makers, and so, we do want perfection from our members, or at least something of the like.

I would say all new members starts from scratch, and most of them have rather poor OCG, and make cards they think are cool, not thinking about how overpowered they may be. They should get step-to-step help, instead of some members coming and demanding "Make better cards. Now!"

As stated above, who says that you are to cuddle them? All Icy asks for, is you giving them a constructive comment that will help them further.

So, keep your standards, keep your demands, but guide them on the way to that point.

"We do not tell you to become an over-happy hugging person, we're telling you to help them further on with their skill. If that new member neglects your help, it's his fault, and he will most likely be called a noob and people might say "you suck" to him/her. I know what you mean with people who don't listen to your advice. It's a sad matter, but most of them finds the way after a while, but will have had the hard way trhough.

You say you was told that you sucked at card-making? So did I, along with countless of other people on this site. The best thing we can do, is avoid telling them the same thing, and give them help.

Be as harsh as you want, as long as it helps them."

Couldnt agree more with this post. Since I already made my point there isn't much else i can do. Except this.

To whoever disagrees with my so called "point of view"

I'm not saying in my "point" to give the newbies a hug even though they are neglecting you constantly (i left that part out didn't I....). Im saying that you should give help to those who are willing to listen to you along with other members. Since I didnt really read the above posts I may have repeated something else. Going on though, don't be mean to the ones who actually listen to you. If they turn down your help then -rep you for some crazy reason, Thats when you can say "Excuse me? You -repd me for trying to help?" "You should think and listen before you knock down someone's reputation". Then just leave it at that before you start an argument and off-topic subject in the thread.

I probally won't post anymore here. Not much else to say.

Newbies need all the help they can get and i try to help with OCG and Pics but often i find myself too lazy to fix the OCG for them but i really need to start doing that, but if i don't give them the correct OCG, i at least refer them to lolwikia when they need help with OCG or i tell them to read cards and pay attention to other member's OCG, that's how i got good.

Well.... I said I probally wouldn't post anymore. I'm afraid of repeating myself on accident.

Anyways, I've said my point about the newbies. Now its time to say my point about OCG.

OCG in my opinion makes your cards look porfessionnal. OCG means how much effort and how much hard work was put into the card. Even though I don't really focus on OCG anymore. Its not like "OMG U HAZ OCG ERRORZ FIX THEM NOW OR Y.C.M. WILL END!!" OCG I dont think is valuable because even though the person has OCG errors, you still know what he is trying to say, right?

Well.... I said I probally wouldn't post anymore. I'm afraid of repeating myself on accident.

Anyways' date=' I've said my point about the newbies. Now its time to say my point about OCG.

OCG in my opinion makes your cards look porfessionnal. OCG means how much effort and how much hard work was put into the card. Even though I don't really focus on OCG anymore. Its not like "OMG U HAZ OCG ERRORZ FIX THEM NOW OR Y.C.M. WILL END!!" OCG I dont think is valuable because even though the person has OCG errors, you still know what he is trying to say, right?

[/quote']

Agreed, but as you said it makes your cards look better, it's almost the same as the pic.

F***ing hell, OCG has became the only thing you people ever talk about in the card threads, only saying "OCG error" always, but not pointing out the freaking error. Either you fix the error or just shut the funk up and get the funk out.

As Icy said, the creativity is suffering, cards are getting more bland and repetetive every single day. This is pretty much what will, or, has already brought the Custom Card section do it's knees.

F*** Official Card Grammar, I support creativity.

Archived