The Pub at the Edge of the Multiverse ~ Fanfiction Public Planning Thread

Hydra of Ages

I remember you writing this down before, but I don't think it was a play at the time. Anyways, sounds great; you could also have one of the scientists (the one playing the Villain, perhaps) be killed and come back at the end (when College Slacker goes back to our timeframe, if he ever does) and have the scientist reappear for more mind-screwing shenanigans.

Wouldn't there be other people there in the Old West, though? Though, that could probably be part of the joke...perhaps there is a ghost town with only 4 residents, who happen to look exactly like Grendel and co.

Oh well... *explains more!*

It is heavily implied that College Slacker isn't back in time at all. Grendel and co just put on a big elaborate show where Grendel and co were pretending to be their ancestors. Even when the play is over it's not all that clear whether College Slacker went back in time or if it was just 4 people screwing with him for no reason.

Okay, so this is the basic idea of the first few chapters:

Meh. Fish out of water characters are always good choices for protagonists. Someone asking "what's going on?" and then he has it explained to him, in turn explaining it to the audience.

So... the protagonist steals a book for some reason? That's kind of... weird. Is he a terrible person? If he's a terrible person the audience may not sympasize with him all that well. Maybe if he just finds it, like some weird dressed person leaves it on the bus or something. Or some elementalist who no longer wants to be an elementalist gives it to him.

So basically, there are these books and they're gateways to a new world, and anyone who has them may go to elementalist world but it is highly recommended they be an elementalist.

... Sure, okay? Does that mean there will always be X-Amount of elementalists? There can't ever be more? What if a book is destroyed? Can more be made?

What exactly is an elementalist? I figure something like "someone who can control elements" but like... are there stages to it? Because you describe the two other teenagers as "real elementalists" so it makes no sense why they would need a teacher unless they weren't any good at it.

Can elemetalists learn more then one element? Because everyone who reads this is all like "LOLAVATAR!" when if anyone can master all 4 it'd be pretty interesting. Control of steam would show a mastery of 3 elements (water, air, fire to a degree, assuming fire and heat were analogous). So it might make for clever combinations.

I'm not understanding the "Teacher is not sure what to do with him," part. In short, what would s/he do if he were an elementalist?

Being allowed to stay until the government says something also seems like a stupid idea. I mean, it just seems like they're some kind of sage-like people who already know the rules and stuff. It'd provide a good quick and easy first arc conflict to just have the teacher warn them that not elementalists wouldn't be tolerated, and the teens trying to protect him.

Which brings me to another question. Why are the teens trying to protect him? It's not like two kids trying to hide a dog from their parents or something. It sounds more like two college students trying to hide that a third student has cerebral palsy by doing his homework for him. As far as I can tell, there's no immediate benefit to aiding him and if they just met him, the only real thing he has going for him is sympathy. It's a detriment to them if anything, because they should be learning from the teacher but instead they're helping him play catch up.

So... okay, to summarize what I'm understanding...

There's a teacher who teaches elementalists to be elementalists in some parallel world from this one. Probably because you'd get hanged if you tried teaching IRL. Apparently there are these books that are gateways to this parallel world, except any elementalists might end up losing it and having a muggle accidentally use it which is exactly what happens in our story here.

It just kind of sounds like a book that if lost would completely restructure society. I assumed it would be better regulated and kept under lock and key. Like, Book 024 is held by Mr. Blank and Book 173 is held by Mrs. NoName and if you ever see someone you don't recognize you should report them right away, find out what book they used to get here and etc etc.

This post is getting a little too long, so I think I'll just end it here. Also, like I say, don't answer the questions here and now. Answer them in your story.

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Pika: It's a bit late and I'm tired, and I have the feeling the majority of my will would be sapped after what i'm about to write, but I just have to say I love that idea.

@Aesirson: There was a game that was extremely similar to your idea, except the protag piloted a giant robot, and it happened to be the Elemental Lord of the Wind.

And his cat familiars were the co-pilots.

It was pretty awesome.

Anyways, one day I was pretty bored and disappointed in myself for not thinking of something to write. So while in a conversation about Norse Mythology, I thought of something.

What if I replaced every major figure with a corresponding mecha*?

And... Well yeah. The story revolves around the pilot of the THOR being transferred to a new battalion, and basically will retell the events of Norse Mythos, but with an added layer of characters when you consider the pilots. And well yeah, it's pretty much that. I'm currently on chapter 3 at the minute, and so far I've had the will to write this. I just haven't posted it on YCM, but am considering it. >___>

* I'm using the proper definition in this case, meaning it's not just giant robots but also includes battleships and basically anything mechanical.

Mechas= Awesome.

Norse Mythology= Also awesome.

So, if you combine the factors of Mechas and Norse Mythology together, you will get awesome squared, which is MIND-BLOWING SUPER-AWESOME.

So, yeah, I kinda like the idea. I assume the leader of the battalion would be ODIN, and the guy who eventually turns into a baddie would pilot a mech named LOKI, amirite?

I'm iffy though, on it being a mechanical retelling of Norse Mythos. Nice tie-ins with the mythos would be great, but a carbon copy of the legends? Ehh.

Anyways, post it in YCM so I can read it. I command you to do it.

So, yeah, I kinda like the idea. I assume the leader of the battalion would be ODIN, and the guy who eventually turns into a baddie would pilot a mech named LOKI, amirite?

I'm iffy though, on it being a mechanical retelling of Norse Mythos. Nice tie-ins with the mythos would be great, but a carbon copy of the legends? Ehh.

On the first part, I can't tell you can't I?

Second part... That's kind of the whole point. There are a lot of stories that use tie-ins with mythology, so I'm making a story that basically just retells mythology straight. Sure, there are pilots and they have their own stories to tell, but otherwise you know how it's going to go down. The interesting part is how it's going to get there.

Anyways, one day I was pretty bored and disappointed in myself for not thinking of something to write. So while in a conversation about Norse Mythology, I thought of something.

What if I replaced every major figure with a corresponding mecha*?

That actually sounds pretty cool.

A few questions. Would the pilot of THOR and LOKI and ODIN and all that be the representation of the gods or would it be their mechs? Like... John Smith is the pilot of THOR and Bob Johnson is the pilot of LOKI. If, for some reason, they switched mechs, is John Smith still representing THOR even though he's piloting LOKI? Or am I overthinking all of this and the above situation would never happen? =\

That actually sounds pretty cool.

A few questions. Would the pilot of THOR and LOKI and ODIN and all that be the representation of the gods or would it be their mechs? Like... John Smith is the pilot of THOR and Bob Johnson is the pilot of LOKI. If, for some reason, they switched mechs, is John Smith still representing THOR even though he's piloting LOKI? Or am I overthinking all of this and the above situation would never happen? =\

The mechs = the figures in Norse Mythology.

The THOR still represents Thor, no matter what pilot it has. Although really, the above would never happen. At least not from what I've planned. With that said, it also means that just because the mechs are fated to be destroyed in their corresponding battles during Ragnarok, it doesn't mean the pilots have to die and vice versa.

On the first part, I can't tell you can't I?

Second part... That's kind of the whole point. There are a lot of stories that use tie-ins with mythology, so I'm making a story that basically just retells mythology straight. Sure, there are pilots and they have their own stories to tell, but otherwise you know how it's going to go down. The interesting part is how it's going to get there.

That's the problem, though. Even if you aren't telling me, I still know what's going to happen, if only because I know Norse mythology. It would completely ruin any sense of tension to know what's going to happen next. What I take from the italized section is that you're saying it's the journey, not the destination, that matters here. But it would be like reading the end of a book before actually starting it. It kinda ruins the experience. :/

But maybe that's just me. If you don't feel the same way, then that's OK. I'll read the story regardless.

That's the problem, though. Even if you aren't telling me, I still know what's going to happen, if only because I know Norse mythology. It would completely ruin any sense of tension to know what's going to happen next. What I take from the italized section is that you're saying it's the journey, not the destination, that matters here. But it would be like reading the end of a book before actually starting it. It kinda ruins the experience. :/

But maybe that's just me. If you don't feel the same way, then that's OK. I'll read the story regardless.

I think you're taking it a bit too seriously though, it is retelling the events of Norse Mythology yes, but not in a clear cut manner. The events are there, but they apply completely and only to the mecha, meaning you know the fate of the mecha and what will happen, but that's about it. Even if you knew that, wouldn't you be intrigued as to how the story gets to that point, considering the mechas do have to be piloted, and thus the characters will somehow need to be put in a similar position? That's practically the hook, I know that people know Norse Mythology, that doesn't bother me. If anything, I'd WANT THEM to know Norse Mythology before reading.

In my opinion it just makes the story more interesting and would hook me even more, but hell, I'm the writer, I should just shut up and write.

So wait. It's Ikkitousen, except instead of fanservice we have mecha, and instead of Romance of the Three Kingdoms we have Norse mythology?

So are Huginn and Muginn ODIN's options?

Sounds like fun. It's a bit like Romeo and Juliet, or any story in which a prophecy foretells the action, only the prophecy in this case is a bit more detailed than usual. I expect some truly outlandish twists from you, mister/miss/thing/potato.

I must admit, even I am shocked to hear you come up with an idea like that.

I'm actually even more shocked to see you doing a fan fic again, after your little review thread with Dark(or whatever else he's calling himself now) died.

Oh well, I'll be looking forward to it regardless.

So wait. It's Ikkitousen, except instead of fanservice we have mecha, and instead of Romance of the Three Kingdoms we have Norse mythology?

So are Huginn and Muginn ODIN's options?

Sounds like fun. It's a bit like Romeo and Juliet, or any story in which a prophecy foretells the action, only the prophecy in this case is a bit more detailed than usual. I expect some truly outlandish twists from you, mister/miss/thing/potato.

Well I suppose the mecha can count as fanservice of the other variety...?

And yes, it is indeed a fun idea. Now only to see if my writing skills can make it fun to read too. >__>"

Speaking of which, I'll probably post it today. As soon as I make some changes/combine chapters/start working on a new chapter.

Wait, would Norse Mythology actually exist in the context of that idea?

Like, were the mechs knowingly based (in-universe) off of the Norse Gods, or does Norse Mythology not exist in this universe and the names of the mechs are utterly random? (To the people inside the story, I mean. Obviously they're meaningful to the readers.)

Wait, would Norse Mythology actually exist in the context of that idea?

Like, were the mechs knowingly based (in-universe) off of the Norse Gods, or does Norse Mythology not exist in this universe and the names of the mechs are utterly random? (To the people inside the story, I mean. Obviously they're meaningful to the readers.)

For the sake of it, probably not. I might just break the fourth wall occasionally and have a character point it out, but otherwise... Nah.

So, I am currently writing my own Yugioh Fan-Fic (go figure) and just have one question:

Hyperlinks. Hyperlinks for the monsters/spells/traps. How do you go about doing that?

Once this question is answered, I can finally begin my journey into the world of YCM Fan-Fic Forum Living.

Let's link to Blue Eyes White Dragon:

Url for it:

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Blue-Eyes_White_Dragon

How it should look:

Blue-Eyes White Dragon

Code to make it a hyperlink:

[url=http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Blue-Eyes_White_Dragon]Blue-Eyes White Dragon[/url]

This was and currently is my kingdom hearts idea: (already started) basically when someone loses their heart they release a heartless and a nobody however, once the heartless and nobody dissapear from the worlds, the individual releases their Soul to roam the worlds. The soul is split into commonly, 6 parts, heart, pain, desire, consiousness, mind snd spirit, thesoul parts are categorized as the group known as the Soulful. A powerful group of soulful band together through tje direction of one man to form the Soulciety. $ora and the others are sent on an epic journey to stop stop soulciety, however behind the scenes a much bigger plan is afoot

Thoughts?

Let me preface this by saying I really dislike the Kingdom Hearts story. Specifically everything past the first game. I find the story to be convoluted and needlessly complicated after this. This doesn't mean I don't understand the story (though there a few segments I don't understand) but that the story itself is really complicated for no reason.

From my understanding, there are 14 nobodies that Sora and pals stumbled upon. Organization 13, and Namine. Since there are now a new subclass, the "Soulful", and we only have 14 nobodies, that very much implies that this new evil organization will be pretty much Org. 13, minus Roxas and Namine (as they never died).

So pretty much, it's a directy copypasta of CoM and KH2, except without the memory loss, friend finding, and Roxas subplot (and if it does include memory loss, friend finding and Roxas somehow, then it's just a direct copypasta of CoM and KH2)

Partly yes, and partly no. The basis of the organization and Soulciety are very similar, in the fact that they want to be "Whole" This books plot however I can say is a bit more straight to the point, the central antagonist being the man who formed Soulciety. Also the organization doesn't exist in my story, there is 3 nobodies.

It's a bit confusing when taslking about the different factions, however the central plot ties them all together, don't really want to spoil the ending I have in mind.

• 3 weeks later...

I think it was said that the Nobody contains both body and soul, so your whole premise is impossible. And you can't say "Well, killing the Nobody releases the soul," because that's not true. However, since you say the Organization doesn't exist (Unexist?), you could argue that Kingdom Hearts weird magical physics work differently in your story.

And "Soulciety" is a ridiculous name, and reminds me of Bleach's Soul Society.

Pika, while I can understand your reason for disliking the Kingdom Hearts story, I honestly have no idea why people have a general hatred of Kudzu Plots. Writers like to create complex stories, and people seem to think that if a story has too much complexity, it's automatically awful.

So, at the moment, I have the following fanfic projects, as indicated by my signature:

• Digimon: Hopeless Paradise Redux. This is just a revamp of my old Digimon story. The beginning of the story will be significantly different, and I've continued to evolve how I planned to have the original story develop.

• Digimon 02: Rebuild the Adventure. The "Rebuild" is a blatant reference to Rebuild of Evangelion, even though I'm not interested in that franchise. The plan is to follow the trend here of people rewriting 5D's, only I'll be rewriting 02. This basically will address how 02 failed as a follow-up of Adventure.

• Limits of Reality. This will be very loosely based on the plot of the YGTs, and thus it's supposed to be some alternate universe crossover based on the franchises featured in the tournaments.

I'll be preparing a revival of Zodiac Cross, but it will just be a very late fourth chapter, not a full revamp like Hopeless Paradise. For those who've been reading Phantom's Divinations, I'm planning to give it proper closure, so I'm basically in the second half of the series at this point.

Pika, while I can understand your reason for disliking the Kingdom Hearts story, I honestly have no idea why people have a general hatred of Kudzu Plots. Writers like to create complex stories, and people seem to think that if a story has too much complexity, it's automatically awful.

You obviously took the name Kudzo Plot from TVtropes, which makes me wonder how you could have read their description and missed out on why it was bad. =\

For me specifically, my problem with the KH series is pacing and access.

For access, the super cool final penultimate version isn't available in America, for starters. Secondly, the first and third game aren't on the same console as the second game (or... weren't until much later on). I mean, that's not too big of a problem for some games, Metroid 1, 2, 3, and 4 were all on different consoles (NES, GB, SNES, GBA) and released years and years apart, but while Metroid is meant to be a series of standalone game, Kingdom Hearts is not.

Basically, between games not being available to western world, a story spanning 4 different consoles (PS2, GBA, DS, PSP) where you need to own all 4 in order to get the full picture, it's pretty difficult to get into.

For pacing... if you ever stopped to think about it, it is not mentioned or even implied why Roxas exists until the third act in the World That Never Was. First game, Sora does something that doesn't seem to be of consequence until much later on. Second game (CoM), we get subtle hints that some other stuff is going on, (Twilight Town. People mentioning they know Sora), but since we don't know what a nobody is, how it's made, or w/e, it just feels strange and nonsensical to the player. Third game in, you play as some random guy who's in a hologram of a town who escapes the hologram and then meets a guy that looks like him. You don't get the significance of that until DiZ explains it to you all the way at the end.

Not to mention that half the backstory comes from exposition drops. The Ansem Reports. They're all integral to the plot, but you don't realize it until long after you've read them, if you've read them at all, or if you remember them.

I'm aware the developer has interviews that explain them all, but if you always have to do a "word of god" explanation then you're a pretty crappy storyteller. The story should come from the medium you're working in, not from some outside source.

tl;dr -

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=19161132&postcount=1

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=19161610&postcount=40

http://www.destructoid.com/new-kingdom-hearts-story-is-hard-for-disney-to-understand-207833.phtml

So, at the moment, I have the following fanfic projects, as indicated by my signature:

... 'kay. What are they about? =\

Just saying that "x is a sequel/remake to y" doesn't really mean much. What makes your Season 2 re-write better then original Season 2? What makes HP Redux better then HP? What's YGTs? What's Zodiac Cross?

As I already had each system the installments were put on, access wasn't a problem for me, but the lack of localized versions of the Final Mixes is very annoying.

I've always thought Word of God is a very lazy storytelling method, because some people aren't going to bother searching the internet to find those interviews. Explaining something eventually is fine with me, but not if you have to rely on Word of God and never include the information you reveal through that, then that's pathetic.

Hopeless Paradise is meant to be a typical Digimon series, with kids going to another word. All I can think of is that five students from a school go somewhere with their class on a field trip, and something happens there. They decide to return to investigate, but I have no idea what the event should be.

My season 2 rewrite will mostly just be me rewatching the original season 2, then seeing where the story made flaws, and improve upon that. T.K. will be the main character, and Davis will actually be developed more favorably to make him less obnoxious.

The YGT is my YCM Grand Tournament, and I have a plot that's awkwardly developed over the course of each match. Limits of Reality is meant to take the plot and have it make more sense.

Zodiac Cross is just a zodiac-themed Duel Academy fanfic.

I had an idea, but wanted some comments on it before starting to write.

First of all, the story takes place in an alternate universe where a lot of things didn't turn out as it did in reality. For example, instead of our religions there are two big religions who worship either light or darkness. On the surface there are only tension between the two groups, but there is always a war going on behind the curtains.

The story is about Solomon "Sol" Crowley (not final name) who awakes on an operation table in a base of the organization Crossfire. He doesn't remember anything of his past (cliché, I know) but it is soon explained to him that notable changes has been made to his body, like enhanced strength, agility, synthetic eyes, interior plates for extra armor etc. This wasn't done by Crossfire, however, but instead by a religious group worshipping one of the two Gods (Light or Darkness, haven't decided which one yet) but his body was "stolen" from them by Crossfire. Turns out Sol was just a normal man until he was kidnapped (or somehow fell into the hands of the religious group) and got his memory rewritten and body enhanced to become a weapon against the other religion.

Suggestions? Comments?

Archived