The Pub at the Edge of the Multiverse ~ Fanfiction Public Planning Thread

Hydra of Ages

Two random ideas/vague premises:

1 - Two random (possibly inept) detectives are hired to follow each other. Hilarity ensues. (it's meant to be a comedy)

2 - Something about memories?

I had a vague idea for a one act play where a girl feels something is 'incomplete' lately in her life and awakens to find a man in her bedroom. She panics but feels she knows him. He decides to allieviate her fears and explains he used to be her boyfriend until yesterday. He took a highly classified government job and that, since it was supposed to be super duper secretive, went ahead and erased himself from all her memories, and the memories of a few of their mutual friends (which apparently the government asked him to do, and gave him a thing in which to do it with). They speak for a bit, and he divulges a bit more, mostly since he's gonna go ahead and erase her memory anyway. She begs and pleads he not do it and he relents and allows her to keep the memory of this night and only that (though he plans to erase her memories the follow morning).

He returns to the government place that promised him the job. Since it's a play, he merely steps forward and speaks to the the narrator, who is in a suit and is the government guy. The narrator remarks that there was no job the whole time, and the plan was for the government to silence him and eliminate him without a trace, since no one will remember him. He shoots the boyfriend unceremoniously and... that's the end.

... But that seemed too dark. I had an idea that some random guy finds a Men-In-Black-style memory eraser thing. It only has 4 settings, 9 seconds, 9 minutes, 9 hours, 9 days. No way to implant memories though, only erase them, neuralyzer style. The target will feel as though they just woke up from a dream. What they think about the lost time is up to them, I guess.

... And then hilarity ensues? *shrugs*

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is probably a dumb idea but whatever.

So it's set in the far future, where people are given a "Friend" in the form of a Network Prime Device. They can speak, and have personalities. When they grow up, they come Network Prime Fields, which can fuse with the user while they are in a "Zone" a field of energy transfered by a Control tower. In the central city where Zone - 99 is, a group called S.K.Y.H.I operate. It is their job to eliminate any Devices or Fields which could be considered "Rebelling" or Dangerous. They also control all of the zones indefinately. A member of the group by the name of Aria goes on a search for a supposed "Super Field" named Phenix being transmitted from Area - 73. She owns a Field named "Fenrir" which is capable of morphing into a Backhanded Sword, and has a personality that is cold, and she advises Aria to be careful in many situations.

I know it sounds like Mega Man Battle Network right now, but once I flesh it out more it'll hopefully get better.

You're throwing around too much technical jargon. Explain the setting more - I'm assuming it's hightech, but how? Biopunk, steampunk, cyberpunk, no punk? What's the current situation like outside of the stuff you described?

Floating Cities, Robots working at jobs Humans couldn't be bothered to do. People are lazy. You get the idea, far future. Orbital Elevators going to Area 100, a space colony. Etc. There are 100 areas each based on their technological advancement, there is no 0, 50-60 or 35-45, as they merged with cities. The Cities are really built up and high tech, and people can teleport to any teleport hotspot by travelling through a computer. People can enter computers and load and edit their Devices or Fields. So yes, very far future.

Yeah I'm still procrastinating. Been having a LOT of brainstorms for story ideas and I can't even get half a page done without getting distracted.

But my most recent idea is the story of a video game programmer whom is developing one of her biggest and most successful games yet. While in the process, she falls victim to an untraceable hacker that has gained access to all of her program files. While the game is being sketched out, the hacker makes some adjustments to it before it gets executed to the testers, simulating a pattern that hypnotizes the testers to kill her. While she lives the horror, the whole building is locked down and detectives come to investigate. The release of the game becomes banned, but that doesn't stop the hacker from generating a free download of the game and posting it to the internet, putting nearly the whole town under his spell.

That's about it. Any opinions?

That sounds kind of interesting but... why just kill this one specific person? What happens if the people succeed and the girl dies? Why is the hacker specifically targetting this girl? Does he have a reason to dislike her or is he just an jabroni and picked a target at random? I think it could work better if it was just... a hypnotizing thing that told them to check a website on [Day], and they'd be given further instructions then. When programmer and cops get close to finding hacker, he turns on his little bots and gives them the instruction to kill programmer and cops. Or something, IDK.

NOTE: THESE ARE JUST GENERAL QUESTIONS TO THINK ABOUT AND NOT SOMETHING I ACTUALLY WANT AN ANSWER TO RIGHT NOW.

Lost with this Duel Terminal Tokusatsu. So, while researching the many Duel Terminal Archetypes, I realized there were many Duel Terminal Archetype. The heroine uses Stellars and the male lead (her underdog sidekick) uses Gem-Knights. There's a mad scientist who uses Ally of Justice and a military who uses Genex. The 3 villain factions use Verz/ Steelswarm, Gishkis, and Worms.

Problem. The Worm were going to be a mini-arc with the Verz being the A-villains, the Gishkis being competing B-villains when the Verz infect Gishki Shadow. I wanted to introduce the Verz in the first chapter which is a problem of the week story that introduces the Stellar girl, shows the Gem-Knight boy getting his deck, and introduces the Verz. I wanted to bring in the AOJ guy at the same time the Worm issue comes up, but I didn't want the Worm arc happen SO soon, but I also wanted it to be covered early on since the AOJ guy also feuds with the later, mentally unstable Vylon guy who is crazier than AOJ guy and destroys the Catastor (and several Core Destroyers) over the city with that Double Tuner Vylon's effect, killing lots of people and giving the Verz another toy (the monsters are that real.) I also wanted to fit in a filler prior to his debut involving Elemental Heroes who reveal that Neos gave them the AOJ technology to battle the Worm (who are still on their way to Earth at that point via Worm Zero.)

Two random ideas/vague premises:

1 - Two random (possibly inept) detectives are hired to follow each other. Hilarity ensues. (it's meant to be a comedy)

2 - Something about memories?

I had a vague idea for a one act play where a girl feels something is 'incomplete' lately in her life and awakens to find a man in her bedroom. She panics but feels she knows him. He decides to allieviate her fears and explains he used to be her boyfriend until yesterday. He took a highly classified government job and that, since it was supposed to be super duper secretive, went ahead and erased himself from all her memories, and the memories of a few of their mutual friends (which apparently the government asked him to do, and gave him a thing in which to do it with). They speak for a bit, and he divulges a bit more, mostly since he's gonna go ahead and erase her memory anyway. She begs and pleads he not do it and he relents and allows her to keep the memory of this night and only that (though he plans to erase her memories the follow morning).

He returns to the government place that promised him the job. Since it's a play, he merely steps forward and speaks to the the narrator, who is in a suit and is the government guy. The narrator remarks that there was no job the whole time, and the plan was for the government to silence him and eliminate him without a trace, since no one will remember him. He shoots the boyfriend unceremoniously and... that's the end.

... But that seemed too dark. I had an idea that some random guy finds a Men-In-Black-style memory eraser thing. It only has 4 settings, 9 seconds, 9 minutes, 9 hours, 9 days. No way to implant memories though, only erase them, neuralyzer style. The target will feel as though they just woke up from a dream. What they think about the lost time is up to them, I guess.

... And then hilarity ensues? *shrugs*

I don't understand why "dark" is bad. I actually really like dark one acts (take a look at 'Night Mother). First idea is pretty classic (Spy vs Spy), so all it really comes down to is how well you can write it. I like the memory one.

This is probably a dumb idea but whatever.

So it's set in the far future, where people are given a "Friend" in the form of a Network Prime Device. They can speak, and have personalities. When they grow up, they come Network Prime Fields, which can fuse with the user while they are in a "Zone" a field of energy transfered by a Control tower. In the central city where Zone - 99 is, a group called S.K.Y.H.I operate. It is their job to eliminate any Devices or Fields which could be considered "Rebelling" or Dangerous. They also control all of the zones indefinately. A member of the group by the name of Aria goes on a search for a supposed "Super Field" named Phenix being transmitted from Area - 73. She owns a Field named "Fenrir" which is capable of morphing into a Backhanded Sword, and has a personality that is cold, and she advises Aria to be careful in many situations.

I know it sounds like Mega Man Battle Network right now, but once I flesh it out more it'll hopefully get better.

1. I don't understand how a robot "grows up"

2. I don't understand what fields do.

3. I was really digging it until the last couple of lines that kind of made the story jump back into some generic sounding battle-anime to me. It sounds unecessary to me, but it's your call.

4. There is no such thing as a dumb idea.

5. When you deal with AI, you always get a lot of really delicious themes about what it means to be human or alive. Don't neglect those. They're fun.

Yeah I'm still procrastinating. Been having a LOT of brainstorms for story ideas and I can't even get half a page done without getting distracted.

But my most recent idea is the story of a video game programmer whom is developing one of her biggest and most successful games yet. While in the process, she falls victim to an untraceable hacker that has gained access to all of her program files. While the game is being sketched out, the hacker makes some adjustments to it before it gets executed to the testers, simulating a pattern that hypnotizes the testers to kill her. While she lives the horror, the whole building is locked down and detectives come to investigate. The release of the game becomes banned, but that doesn't stop the hacker from generating a free download of the game and posting it to the internet, putting nearly the whole town under his spell.

That's about it. Any opinions?

1. What is the hacker's motivation?

2. hypnotism doesn't actually work like that.

3. I don't know a lot about video game development, but I feel like big games take multiple programmers to do.

4. Leaking it on the internet would affect much more than a single town.

5. But seriously, why is this hacker doing this.

As for myself, I have a couple of ideas on a backburner (I'm working on a fantasy novel atm for my novel writing class and that's taking up pretty much all my writing time).

1. A dystopian techno-future where everyone is plugged in all the time. Causes are now run through the web, and have to reach "quotas" of shares/likes/whatevers before the government/whatever will do anything about it. Basically I want to explore the "slacktivist" culture that is developing right now.

2. There's a midwestern writer named Micheal Martone that got into my school's literary magazine when I didn't. I think it would be fun to write a short story about how he actually goes through great lengths to sabbotage student work so that he can get published.

I don't understand why "dark" is bad. I actually really like dark one acts (take a look at 'Night Mother).

I misspoke. I meant to say that I didn't like the idea of a needlessly dark story. Emphasis on 'needlessly'. When I write a story I prefer that the characters grow or evolve or change or some other stupid buzzword, so the character you meet at the beginning of the story isn't the character you meet at the end. But here...

The boyfriend doesn't change much because he's still planning on erasing her memory and he dies at the end. The narrator doesn't change because he's an amoral sociopath and he hasn't learned anything. To him this is all 'just part of the job'. Which leaves the girl as the only character capable of change, but prior to the play she had no opinion on this man (because she doesn't remember him) and no opinion on the government (because she had no reason to think about thoroughly). Forming an opinion isn't as interesting as changing an opinion, and regardless of her opinion on either of these she's powerless to do anything about it. If boyfriend lives in the government, she has no say in it, and if boyfriend dies she equally has no say, and what's more most likely won't care too a great degree because her memories were stolen. She'd be sad a human died, but not to an overwhelming degree as if she knew him. And that's only IF she knew.

tl;dr - A "good" story is one where a character changes and evolves. In this story, no one has the opportunity to change or evolve, so it would be "bad".

in my opinion

Lost with this Duel Terminal Tokusatsu.

The problem with "Duel Terminal" style plots is that just about every single archetype is interchangeable in the story. No one cares that A, B, and C are the villains, since they're all just palette swaps of each other.

Even in the paragraph with more proper nouns then a list of fifty states and their capitals, they're all still mostly easily swappable from what I can tell. How about something about the characters personality as opposed to 'the gem knight boy' and 'the Stellar girl'?

I misspoke. I meant to say that I didn't like the idea of a needlessly dark story. Emphasis on 'needlessly'. When I write a story I prefer that the characters grow or evolve or change or some other stupid buzzword, so the character you meet at the beginning of the story isn't the character you meet at the end. But here...

The boyfriend doesn't change much because he's still planning on erasing her memory and he dies at the end. The narrator doesn't change because he's an amoral sociopath and he hasn't learned anything. To him this is all 'just part of the job'. Which leaves the girl as the only character capable of change, but prior to the play she had no opinion on this man (because she doesn't remember him) and no opinion on the government (because she had no reason to think about thoroughly). Forming an opinion isn't as interesting as changing an opinion, and regardless of her opinion on either of these she's powerless to do anything about it. If boyfriend lives in the government, she has no say in it, and if boyfriend dies she equally has no say, and what's more most likely won't care too a great degree because her memories were stolen. She'd be sad a human died, but not to an overwhelming degree as if she knew him. And that's only IF she knew.

tl;dr - A "good" story is one where a character changes and evolves. In this story, no one has the opportunity to change or evolve, so it would be "bad".

in my opinion

The problem with "Duel Terminal" style plots is that just about every single archetype is interchangeable in the story. No one cares that A, B, and C are the villains, since they're all just palette swaps of each other.

Even in the paragraph with more proper nouns then a list of fifty states and their capitals, they're all still mostly easily swappable from what I can tell. How about something about the characters personality as opposed to 'the gem knight boy' and 'the Stellar girl'?

You mean the characters in general who use the decks? I haven't established names for them yet. Well, what I have so far:

Jun Godai (Stellar): A delinquent who cheats and steals. She raised herself, is an expert at gambling, and while some of her decisions are immoral or selfish, she also shows she's a good person by protecting innocents from the villain-of--the-week. She feuds with Castor. She has a Duel Runner that can be equipped with Equip Spells like Big Bang Shot to ram enemies.

Van (Gem-Knight): Jun's partner. He's a new student who wants Jun to teach him how to be more confident and aggressive. He comes from a stable family, has stronger morals than Jun, and at times argues with her over her less heroic plans. He feuds with Heliotrope, and mainly uses the Gemini Gem-Knights, Obsidian, Lazuli, Gem Merchant and the Gem animals along with the generic Fusions.

Lore (Ally of Justice): He's a science teacher who discovers Jun and Van's identities and tries to recruit them to battle the Worm. His cruelty even shocks Stellar. His main vehicle is Catastor, which is later destroyed by the Vylons, and infected by the Verz into Golem and a second vehicle for them.

Nash Hunter (Genex): He's a soldier, and a parody of 80's action movie heroes. Instead of a uniform, he wears flanel shirts and jeans. He doesn't have much personality, and speaks in cheesy one-liners. He's after the Verz for infecting Locomotion R-Genex and using it for transportation along with Genex Controller, and mainly uses 3 Genex Armies in battle.

Char (Flamvell): A pyromaniac who works as Lore's protege. He disregards innocents, and after an incident where his kills several people to get to the Worm invaders, Lore cuts him loose when he finds him too crazy and unpredictable.

Phoenix (Laval): He's lives on an island where he maintains a volcano with Lavals.

Juda (Vylon): A mental patient who thinks he is sent by God to judge sinners. He feuds with Lore, and during a battle involving a full house with Lore, Jun, Van, and several Verz, Synchro Summons Vylon Omega, and believing Omega is God's physical form, allows it to (try to) destroy them and the city.

Steelswarm Hercules: He wants to rebuild his empire by turning the city into his Verz servants. He acts like the 90's X-Men cartoon's version of Apocalypse. He thinks highly of himself, and later after his death, is revived by the Gishki as Evigishki Zeal Gigas and is constantly tortured by them into their servant as revenge. The Verz deck is passed onto a human, possibly an eco-terrorist or something.

Hercule's Four Horseman (Thanatos, Heliotrope, Castor, and Nightmare): They fill the role as Goldar, Ecliptor, Treacheron, etc.

"Gishki" cult leader: She leads the Gishki cult that is kidnapping people throughout the series. She wants to use a ritual to make herself younger and beautiful again, and is accompanying by Ariel and Noella. When Shadow is infected into a Verz, she swears vengeance.

Worm King: Returns to Earth for revenge after being defeated by the Elemental Heroes with the AOJ technology in the pre-reset world.

in my opinion

I'm glad you added that last line in there. There are no absolutes in creative writing, and I gaurantee you that if I looked, I could find some sort of work that works and is well done that doesn't need character development to do so.

You mean the characters in general who use the decks?

Oh I thought this was one of those kinds of stories where the Duel Monsters are the characters and they have adventures and etc etc.

Well... then your summary of the story is even worse. =\

I remember a while back some guy said he was gonna make a Yu-Gi-Oh story, and I pretty much took the summary he gave and replaced every instance of [decktype] with . Because that's all a deck type is, just the 'sword' in which someone uses to battle, and their fighting style. Saying 'they duel' is not a story idea.

With that said:

Problem. The [guy with the red lightsaber] [was] going to be a mini-arc with the [guy with the purple lightsaber] being the A-villains, the [guy with the white lightsaber] being competing B-villains when the [guy with the purple lightsaber] infect [the guy with the white lightsaber... with Space AIDS?]. I wanted to introduce the [guy with the purple lightsaber] in the first chapter which is a problem of the week story that introduces the [girl with the blue lightsaber], shows the [boy with the green lightsaber] getting his [lightsaber], and introduces the [guy with the purple lightsaber]. I wanted to bring in the [guy with the yellow lightsaber] at the same time the [guy with the red lightsaber] comes up, but I didn't want the [guy with the red lightsaber] arc happen SO soon, but I also wanted it to be covered early on since the [guy with the yellow lightsaber] also feuds with the later, mentally unstable [guy with the black lightsaber] who is crazier than [the guy with the yellow lightsaber] and destroys the [Millenium Falcon?] over the city with [the Force], killing lots of people and giving the [guy with the purple lightsaber] another toy (the [Force] [is] that real.) I also wanted to fit in a filler prior to his debut involving [aliens!] who reveal that [Yoda!] gave [the guy with the yellow lightsaber] [his yellow lightsaber] to battle the [guy with the red lightsaber].

How'd I do? Wanna read my epic Star Wars novel?

There are no absolutes in creative writing, and I gaurantee you that if I looked, I could find some sort of work that works and is well done that doesn't need character development to do so.

I personally would feel unfulfilled to write (or read) a story where the characters do not develop in any meaningful way. That's not to say I don't believe Shaggy Dog Stories exist, but I just find them uninteresting and find myself dissapointed at best and insulted at worst when I come to the ending and nothing was of consequence. Though I will agree that I'm a terrible person, I'm not so terrible that I would purposely go out of my way to dissapoint or insult the people who took the time to click on my topic and expected to be entertained. Again, just my own opinion on the subject. Not speaking in absolutes. If you enjoy stories like that, great. I do not. It doesn't mean I'm better or you're better. Just means we're different.

That sounds kind of interesting but... why just kill this one specific person? What happens if the people succeed and the girl dies? Why is the hacker specifically targetting this girl? Does he have a reason to dislike her or is he just an a****** and picked a target at random? I think it could work better if it was just... a hypnotizing thing that told them to check a website on [Day], and they'd be given further instructions then. When programmer and cops get close to finding hacker, he turns on his little bots and gives them the instruction to kill programmer and cops. Or something, IDK.

Answering all your questions:

1. Focusing on one person is a lot easier.

2. Then the horror story ends.

3. Read response #1 to Vairocana's quote. vv

4. He used to be friends with her in high school, but a misunderstanding spun out of control and now he's a lost cause to her.

5. A good suggestion, but complicated nonetheless. It could be more interesting for the hacker to use his "bots" to be controlled for more than one reason, but as far as the story goes, he's only focused on one person, and he will do anything to stay hidden and keep the law at bay.

1. What is the hacker's motivation?

2. hypnotism doesn't actually work like that.

3. I don't know a lot about video game development, but I feel like big games take multiple programmers to do.

4. Leaking it on the internet would affect much more than a single town.

5. But seriously, why is this hacker doing this.

1. I forgot to mention that. The hacker has been driven mad by his high school past. He's been friends with the programmer in high school. But due to some misunderstanding, he personally attacked her with hurtful words to fend it off, and the programmer called him useless and beat him senseless in retaliation to his arrogance. Because of this, his nightmares have forced him to get revenge. That's pretty much it.

2. It's fiction. I don't really care if it's realistic or not.

3. It does, I only mentioned the testers. The programmers are affected too. Well...most of them at least.

4. I know, but the whole world wouldn't waste their time traveling all the way to one place to kill one person. That just seems stupid.

1. I forgot to mention that. The hacker has been driven mad by his high school past. He's been friends with the programmer in high school. But due to some misunderstanding, he personally attacked her with hurtful words to fend it off, and the programmer called him useless and beat him senseless in retaliation to his arrogance. Because of this, his nightmares have forced him to get revenge. That's pretty much it.

2. It's fiction. I don't really care if it's realistic or not.

3. It does, I only mentioned the testers. The programmers are affected too. Well...most of them at least.

4. I know, but the whole world wouldn't waste their time traveling all the way to one place to kill one person. That just seems stupid.

1. That seems like a moronically complex plan to get revenge on someone. Murder also isn't typically a hacker's MO. Leaking the game, ruining her credit score, and releasing all her personal information and emails are more the things I'd expect. Doing some sort of complex crazy coding in order to hypnotize a bunch of people to kill a single person just seems like...a lot of work. Why not just buy a knife and hang out around her house until she comes home?

Also, she beat him up? Really? Just file assault charges, you got your revenge right there.

2. You should care. The most compelling fiction works are those that are plausible. You are trying to creat a "continuous and vivid fictional dream" for your reader. That dream is broken when your "reality" is not plausible.

3. Yes, but then, how much of the coding is actually hers? It seems like he could only be influencing a very small portion of the game, which makes his plan even more difficult to pull off.

4. But they're all hypnotized, so technically they would. If you think that sounds outrageous and implausible...then perhaps you should consider revising your idea a bit.

Oh I thought this was one of those kinds of stories where the Duel Monsters are the characters and they have adventures and etc etc.

I was going more for a superhero story. For example, to sell a trading card game, there was a season of Power Rangers where their gimmick involved using the trading cards to morph, summon the zords, and other stuff. Similarly, 3 seasons of Masked Rider featured cards as a gimmick. In Masked Rider Ryuki, the Riders had decks that were themed around their main monster, Ryuki's being a Chinese dragon, and after one of the evil Masked Riders killed 2 of the Riders and made contracts with their monsters, they gave him more cards. Besides a couple incidents with Ryuki's dragon, another Rider getting devoured by his, and a dead Rider's monster seeking revenge, the monsters don't do much story-wise, and usually only appear when the Rider goes for their finisher.

In Masked Rider Blade, each time a monster beat a monster, he would seal it into a card, and could use it's powers like Megaman. They would also transform using a high-ranking monster card inside their belt. One of the Riders had a card that would release a monster trapped in a card. The monsters weren't originally cards, and the cards were man-made to seal.

In Masked Rider Decade, Decade used cards to change his armor into a veteran Rider's armor, including Ryuki and Blade. He could also use buff-up cards to make himself stronger. Another character named Diend would slide a Rider card into his gun and shoot out the Rider in the card and use them to help him fight. He would summon several at a time, and in a Power Ranger crossover, a Power Ranger monster stole his powers and used the cards to revive monsters defeated in previous episodes of that PR series.

Well, enough about lame horror novels. I just had an idea of putting YCMaker members into an anime-style WWE spin-off fic. It might start off as a One Shot, though, but my motivations come and go as they please.

Well, enough about lame horror novels. I just had an idea of putting YCMaker members into an anime-style WWE spin-off fic. It might start off as a One Shot, though, but my motivations come and go as they please.

Will be entertaining if you have a Scott Steiner, a Jim Ross, and a Ric Flair-style character and use them well, as in give Steiner and Flair mics and let them trash opponent while JR yells "BAH GAWD!" and Joey Styles shrieking "OH MY GOD!!!!" during matches. It could work if the feuds are good. As in, not like the Rock-Cena feud where's just a back-and-back war of words and the characters frequently attack each other along with the nasty promos. Also can have cheese graters to the face, flaming tables, and barbed-wire ropes for the rings. Can also have parodies of the wrestling merchandise commercials placed in the chapters like selling toys or a face selling beef jerky.

I'm glad you added that last line in there. There are no absolutes in creative writing, and I gaurantee you that if I looked, I could find some sort of work that works and is well done that doesn't need character development to do so.

I don't feel the need to qualify statements about the abysmal spelling and grammar of YCM's writers by noting each time I do that James Joyce exists. Similarly, I don't see any compelling reason to demand that people qualify statements as basic as "having dynamic characters is good".

I was going more for a superhero story. [snip due to not even coming close to caring]

...none of which does anything to change the Lightsaber Problem.

I have this idea for a story, but I have absolutely no idea as to how to start it. I am terrible with starting and finishing stories. It is going to be a series about a man who seems to be about 25-30 years old, but is really 112. His name is Professor Huebert. He travels all around the world following an ancient organization called Novel Industries, which has been around far longer than he has. They are a scientific organization that has been inventing all of the revolutionary technology that has been appearing through the ages. But they are planning something with it all, and whatever it is, it's coming soon. Professor Huebert comes in contact with a cop, whom he befriends.

The problem is, I have no idea how to begin the story.

I have this idea for a story, but I have absolutely no idea as to how to start it. I am terrible with starting and finishing stories. It is going to be a series about a man who seems to be about 25-30 years old, but is really 112. His name is Professor Huebert. He travels all around the world following an ancient organization called Novel Industries, which has been around far longer than he has. They are a scientific organization that has been inventing all of the revolutionary technology that has been appearing through the ages. But they are planning something with it all, and whatever it is, it's coming soon. Professor Huebert comes in contact with a cop, whom he befriends.

The problem is, I have no idea how to begin the story.

The obvious solution is to tell it from the cop's POV and start with the cop meeting Professor Huebert. Based on your description, the cop is already playing Watson to the professor's Holmes, so why not?

However, your story does seem rife with potential plot holes. Why is nobody outside of this organization ever able to invent anything? How could every single invention ever play into their master plan? Why did they need to release all of these inventions publicly throughout history instead of keeping them under lock and key for their own private use?

It seems that the most successful stories never have any real specifics tying together perfectly in the plot and making sense. Makes me wonder what's to come after the Hunger Games.

Ed, I know exactly how you feel. Not only can I never start or finish a story, but I suck at it as well even if I try my hardest. My main problem is grasping the reader. Getting people's attention with the first paragraph. Always the hardest to do but the one thing to get through to make writing the rest of it so much easier.

Finishing the story is not as hard, but it sure is strenuous. Even for a one shot it seems like the story will never end cause you're just trying to find a good point to stop, but you just f*cking can't. You're letting it all pour out to make it sound climatic.

[...] Not only can I never start or finish a story, but I suck at it as well even if I try my hardest. My main problem is grasping the reader. Getting people's attention with the first paragraph. Always the hardest to do but the one thing to get through to make writing the rest of it so much easier.

Finishing the story is not as hard, but it sure is strenuous. Even for a one shot it seems like the story will never end cause you're just trying to find a good point to stop, but you just f*cking can't. You're letting it all pour out to make it sound climatic.

Are you secretly me and I unknowingly have multiple personalities?

So... This isn't a fanfiction so to speak, it's more of a story for a Short Role-playing Game. So, there's this company called Arc Parallel, and the main character lives in the same city, known as Sunset Bay, as the HQ of this company. One day, he finds a Key Card with a note attached to it in his letterbox, the note explains that, the main character will be killed 7 Days from him finding the key card, and his key card will be taken. During the days, more employees of Arc Paralell and even random bystanders are starting to go missing, and the main character keeps finding Key Cards for the Arc Parallel HQ inside his Letterbox. I need help to continue writing this.

Archived