The Pub at the Edge of the Multiverse ~ Fanfiction Public Planning Thread

Hydra of Ages

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^No idea what DQ is. I'm no help on the matter :P

Now, on me :D

I was thinking about writing a story that differs a little from the norm. By norm I mean dark vs Light. Dark, as a side and as an element, is so under-respected, and often classed as the "bad guy" side. It's usually light trumps dark, good trumps evil.

In my story, it is reversed.

Basically, thousands of years ago, a magic nation that controlled the powers of Darkness lost to a more military nation that had the powers of light. At the end of their ancient battle, a prophet predicted that Dark would fall then rise twice as strong. The Light feared this, and brain-washed/killed every Dark they fought. Not a single Dark person remembered the titanic battle, nor the prohecy. Those events were wiped from history, after only moments of being commited to paper.

'Course, all the Light remembered.

In the present, day and night have gone insane. sun one minute, moon the next. These flashes are known as 'sunspots' and 'blackouts' respectively. Because of this crazy stuff, weather has also become messed up, namely the tides, since they rely on the gravitational pull of the moon to work in a preditable-ish and safe way.

With everyone getting confused and angry, laws and stuff become pretty much void. Robberies and crimes flash across the nation. Restricted areas become the playground of every person.

This can lead to good things, because these open spaces lead to two different trios finding ancient manuscripts of the Ancient War. This includes the prohecy that predicted the downfall of a prosperous nation.

These trios go to Lune, and then to the Black Mountains, trying to use what they know to restore Night and Day to their respective times. On their way, each would encounter challenges unique to them, as well as consequences of those challenges.

One thing is certain though.

None of the six will be the same again.

I've jotted down a fair bit on each of the 6 characters, and a detailed-ish summary of events. At present I'm writing a brief account of each chapter before I get started. And I just wanted to know if anyone would a) be interested in reading it once it is up, or B) prepared to offer advice on how to make it better before I get committed to something dreadful and have to change part way through.

All help appreciated :D

Re: Dragon Ball Z fic.

Sounds really bad. If "it will be very much the same as from what [you] have seen in YouTube" why not just link to it and not write about it?

Re: Super Saiyan 5

What's the point of doing that? It'd be like if you were doing a Yu-Gi-Oh rewrite, but you made it so Yugi got Obelisk instead of Slifer (and Kaiba got Slifer instead of Obelisk). No real point in doing so, and Yugi ends up with all 3 gods anyway so what's the point of moving it back?

What I meant to say was that it was going to be BASED off of what I saw on YouTube. In fact, I intend to link the webpage containing all current episodes as inspiration.

And as for Super Saiyan 5...

You need to understand exactly how it came to be. At the end of GT, Goku ended up fusing with the Dragon Balls and riding off to the Realm of Eternal Dragons with Shenron. In turn, Goku fused with Shenron, but became bounded to that realm. Because Goku fused with an Eternal Dragon, his powers exceeded his original limits, and Shenron's power gave Goku access to transforming one more time, to the supposed "Ultimate Super Saiyan" level, known as Super Saiyan 5. The only setback for the transformation is that he can only use the transformation once a year, the same amount of time it took for the Dragon Balls to be used again.

But I guess you can care less. Oh well. I'm still doing it, though. You'll get what I mean after some episodes are posted.

My advice is have a major part where someone steals the card from him, or it goes blank, or stuff similar to that. Or you could have a part where the whole world discovers that his luck comes with his card. Stuff like that.

Yea, that happens a few times on several occasions, and the actual antagonist of the fiction(not revealing who) Points this out several times.

Hey guys, I'm kinda new to posting on this site but I've been reading some fanfics here.

My idea for a Yu-Gi-Oh fanfic is this:

The protagonist starts off with a Beast deck and his older brother has a Psychic deck. However, the protagonist finds a strange Psychic monster that he has never seen before. After collecting enough cards to complete his new Psychic deck, he and his best friend start preparing for the annual local tournament later in the year (the storyline starts at the beginning of autumn and ends with the tournament in the spring).

Meanwhile, evil duel spirits escape from the duel-spirit-equivalent-to-Hell, and they possess some local duelists. Can our protagonist defeat the duel spirits and close the gap between both dimensions?

So this is just a basic summary and introduction to my fanfic. I have LOTS of ideas in store, including my own archetypes, so feel free to reply with criticism or ask for more information. Thanks!

Sounds a lot like the run-of-the-mill story of how most of the Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fics are like. amirite?

But anyway, how would this differ from any other Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fics already made? There's not much room for originality unless you create your own monsters, or better yet, create a storyline that creates secrets within already known canon decks.

Either way, with what you have explained so far, not much might be seen when you post it. Maybe not. Can't say for sure. I'll look into it when you start it.

Hey guys, I'm kinda new to posting on this site but I've been reading some fanfics here.

My idea for a Yu-Gi-Oh fanfic is this:

The protagonist starts off with a Beast deck and his older brother has a Psychic deck. However, the protagonist finds a strange Psychic monster that he has never seen before. After collecting enough cards to complete his new Psychic deck, he and his best friend start preparing for the annual local tournament later in the year (the storyline starts at the beginning of autumn and ends with the tournament in the spring).

Meanwhile, evil duel spirits escape from the duel-spirit-equivalent-to-Hell, and they possess some local duelists. Can our protagonist defeat the duel spirits and close the gap between both dimensions?

So this is just a basic summary and introduction to my fanfic. I have LOTS of ideas in store, including my own archetypes, so feel free to reply with criticism or ask for more information. Thanks!

I agree with Swifty. I don't really see anything that really caught my attention. A little more info would be nice. I'm not trying to be mean or anything, and your idea may turn out to be really good. I don't really know yet, but rest assured that I look at it when you start off.

What I meant to say was that it was going to be BASED off of what I saw on YouTube. In fact, I intend to link the webpage containing all current episodes as inspiration.

And as for Super Saiyan 5...

You need to understand exactly how it came to be. At the end of GT, Goku ended up fusing with the Dragon Balls and riding off to the Realm of Eternal Dragons with Shenron. In turn, Goku fused with Shenron, but became bounded to that realm. Because Goku fused with an Eternal Dragon, his powers exceeded his original limits, and Shenron's power gave Goku access to transforming one more time, to the supposed "Ultimate Super Saiyan" level, known as Super Saiyan 5. The only setback for the transformation is that he can only use the transformation once a year, the same amount of time it took for the Dragon Balls to be used again.

This actually sounds like a relatively interesting idea in a DBZ-sort of way, and I admit I kinda pictured SS5 would work similarly- that said, while powerups have basically formed the backbone of the series from a certain point on, I assume you have more plot to follow up on than just that?

Very. I have my own original plots when it comes to the characters I have made. I intend to create a special Saga just for them, which will actually take place in the past. It will be based off what has happened to them in their moment in time up until the present time, which will either be the first and current saga (The Xicor Saga) or the Third Saga (I'm still clueless as to what it's called.)

I can do a lot with this. Trust me. At first, the first few episodes will be the same as to what I saw on YouTube (With many different alterations to make it seem different.), and then when my characters come in, it will be 85% me for the whole writing process.

You can read what I have so far if you wish. It's already up, so no need to hide what I had planned.

@The Swift Assaulter and Randomflyingobjects:

I will admit, I did not post a lot of preliminary info. Here is some more brainstorming:

-Turf wars from the nearby city have spilled into the protagonist's neighborhood, resulting in robberies, damaged property, and houses set on fire. The gangs are divided based on their ace monster (Fusion, Synchro, etc.)

-The above conflict provides an excellent start for destroying the human world. The evil spirits feed on the negative emotions of the duelists, and with enough energy gained during duels, can materialize and cause mayhem without their hosts.

-Each duelist eventually finds their duel monster spirit partner. When two opposing partners battle, their owners can experience the opponent's emotions, ambitions, past, etc.

Also, I am aware of the Jack Witt clause and I am open to suggestions.

Because I plan to throw in some cards of my own creation, I have been browsing the YGO Wikia Card Maker and I found Hybrid Monsters (Fusion Monsters but with spells and traps) and Reactor Monsters (like Synchros but the levels are multiplied instead). Even though these concepts are not of my own creation, I would still like to include these in my fanfic. Do you think anyone would object to this?

Had this idea for a screenplay because the rules say if it's detailed and whatnot, it's okay, and I've studying screenplays lately, namely the Godfather one.

It's an idea loosely based off the Duel Terminal story, but set in the future where the events have ended. In this world, dueling isn't well known, and duel disks don't exist. It's about people who play a game of death with Duel Terminal archetypes like Gem-Knights, Gustos, Laval, Verz, Gishkis, Jurracs, The Sacreds, etc for power, money, etc. The hero/ine uses Gem-Knights (a Gemini variant) to protect innocent people. The rules are different. It borrows from Duelist of the Rose with Deck Leaders, and instead of turns, it's real-time like in that episode where Yugi dueled the Orichalcos Soldier meaning that a monster can run over a player as they activate Dark Hole and stop them. After they draw a card normally, Normal Summon, or Set, they have to wait 90 seconds to do it again (in the Set cards case, wait 90 secs to use it.) In the case of cards like Pollux, Double Summon, or Cathedral of Nobles, the 90 sec wait is ignored. For Counter Traps and set Quickplays, if the timing is right, they can be used before the 90 sec wait is up. Monsters don't immediately die against higher ATK monsters. Instead, they duke it out and can win if other monsters regardless of ATK gang up on the opponent's monster. It's meant to add more of an action feel. The stock villains who fail either die or return to be sacrificed to the Gishki. For the most part, the hero faces the Verz, Worms, and Gishki.

The hero/ine opposes killing his/her opponents (done by "finishing" the opponent off after their LP become 0,) and clashes with the Vylon duelist who heartlessly kills other duelists who are suspected of being evil, and the Ally of Justice who wants to keep tabs on every computer to hunt down the Worms.

Most episodes advance the main story while solving a "problem-of-the-week" on the side. A Verz/Gishki/Worm agent does something to someone, Gishkis capture sacrifices (they're a cult that worships Zeal Gigas), or Worms steal some new techology, and hero/ine stops them. The duelists use "card drivers" that maternalize from magic, and are each designed to match their deck. The hero/ine's has a built-in, flip-out blade to fight off direct attacks (it's legal here.) The monsters come to life, and even talk.

@The Swift Assaulter and Randomflyingobjects:

I will admit, I did not post a lot of preliminary info. Here is some more brainstorming:

-Turf wars from the nearby city have spilled into the protagonist's neighborhood, resulting in robberies, damaged property, and houses set on fire. The gangs are divided based on their ace monster (Fusion, Synchro, etc.)

-The above conflict provides an excellent start for destroying the human world. The evil spirits feed on the negative emotions of the duelists, and with enough energy gained during duels, can materialize and cause mayhem without their hosts.

-Each duelist eventually finds their duel monster spirit partner. When two opposing partners battle, their owners can experience the opponent's emotions, ambitions, past, etc.

Also, I am aware of the Jack Witt clause and I am open to suggestions.

Because I plan to throw in some cards of my own creation, I have been browsing the YGO Wikia Card Maker and I found Hybrid Monsters (Fusion Monsters but with spells and traps) and Reactor Monsters (like Synchros but the levels are multiplied instead). Even though these concepts are not of my own creation, I would still like to include these in my fanfic. Do you think anyone would object to this?

As of the added information, it sounds a whole lot better now than it did then. That extra info really helped. As of the Hybrid and Reactor monsters, if it's a type of card, like Ritual, Fusion, Xyz, Dark Syncro, and Syncro, or a monster type like Warrior and Dragon, then you'll be fine. If it's an archetype like Elemental Hero or Crystal Beast, or it's specific monsters that other people make, then you might want to consult the creator of the archetype or card. However, I'm not an expert or anything, so wait for an experienced person, unlike me, to answer for you just to be on the safe side.

Okay, I'm just gonna ask:

Are there any fantasy novels out there whose main plot involves a portal to another plane of existence?

Cause I have an idea for a novel based on that and I cannot sleep, I wanna write about it so bad.

• 1 month later...

I've had an idea for a short story, about a kid who meets Death. He's told that if he can beat Death in a contest of his own choosing, he gets to not be Grim Reaped. The Grim Reaper however warns the kid that in the past million billion years he has yet to lose. The kid immediately announces a Don't-Be-Death-Contest and Death reluctantly gives up his powers. However, Death has no way to reclaim them and the pair return to an Earth free of Death. Hilarity ensues?

I've had an idea for a short story, about a kid who meets Death. He's told that if he can beat Death in a contest of his own choosing, he gets to not be Grim Reaped. The Grim Reaper however warns the kid that in the past million billion years he has yet to lose. The kid immediately announces a Don't-Be-Death-Contest and Death reluctantly gives up his powers. However, Death has no way to reclaim them and the pair return to an Earth free of Death. Hilarity ensues?

Please tell me this turns into a Buddy Cop Novel involving Not-Death and the kid joining forces to help settle the chaos of an immortal world.

In light of the neverending quest to find a third admin, I'm planning to jump on the bandwagon for writing a story based on this site. All I know of the plot so far is that the leader of the setting is incapable of his duties, either due to a sickness or he is missing. I need more plot ideas to see where I can take this, so does anyone have suggestions?

Please tell me this turns into a Buddy Cop Novel involving Not-Death and the kid joining forces to help settle the chaos of an immortal world.

Nothing is set in stone right now. It's more of a 'vague premise' then it is an idea. I'm still working on other things before I get to this, presumably.

In light of the neverending quest to find a third admin, I'm planning to jump on the bandwagon for writing a story based on this site. All I know of the plot so far is that the leader of the setting is incapable of his duties, either due to a sickness or he is missing. I need more plot ideas to see where I can take this, so does anyone have suggestions?

What's so great about [setting]? Why should we care about [setting]? What makes [Leader] so important that he is vital to [setting]?

How about this as an idea? A once gone leader returns to his land only to find he is no longer needed? Like... Link from Legend of Zelda showing up in Hyrule and trying to be the super cool Hero of Time and being told by the Hylians "Nah it's cool. We got this." He expects to be return to fanfare and parades, but he's spit on and hated. Portray the leader as a tragic hero or something.

Or don't. IDC.

Random idea that I will never write about: (Infected) Zombies versus (Classical) Vampires versus ragtag colony of surviving, uninfected humans. Every chapter alternates who the focus is on.

What, assuming you're attempting to make it based off of the site?

First issue would be the setting, then. Adapting an internet forum into a believable world for the narrative seems like it'd be the greatest issue, considering how removed from real life this is; heck, you might even want to make that half the point. I'm on a historical medieval ages kick at the moment, so the first thing that came to mind was making a pun out of turning it into a peasant forum- with regular members represented as the general (peasant) public, the moderators as the nobles of various denominations that try to keep the peace, and our fair administrator as the absentee-King, whose' lack of presence is wreaking havoc on everything beneath the chain because none of the nobles can curry enough power to take up administration.

From that, you have a nice way to play off typical internet drama in a somewhat analogous fashion, as well as already having a core conflict that opens up a number of story opportunities; the Nobles are frustrated that they're trying to keep the order with insufficient resources and angry at the peasants for making trouble, the peasants are complaining because the nobles are cracking down on them harder than they need to be, and all in all nothing is getting done and nobody is happy about it.

Except the king, who's off conquering a tanning bed or something.

Only problem is I think I'm the only one interested in writing about Dark Ages politics.

What, assuming you're attempting to make it based off of the site?

First issue would be the setting, then. Adapting an internet forum into a believable world for the narrative seems like it'd be the greatest issue, considering how removed from real life this is; heck, you might even want to make that half the point. I'm on a historical medieval ages kick at the moment, so the first thing that came to mind was making a pun out of turning it into a peasant forum- with regular members represented as the general (peasant) public, the moderators as the nobles of various denominations that try to keep the peace, and our fair administrator as the absentee-King, whose' lack of presence is wreaking havoc on everything beneath the chain because none of the nobles can curry enough power to take up administration.

From that, you have a nice way to play off typical internet drama in a somewhat analogous fashion, as well as already having a core conflict that opens up a number of story opportunities; the Nobles are frustrated that they're trying to keep the order with insufficient resources and angry at the peasants for making trouble, the peasants are complaining because the nobles are cracking down on them harder than they need to be, and all in all nothing is getting done and nobody is happy about it.

Except the king, who's off conquering a tanning bed or something.

Only problem is I think I'm the only one interested in writing about Dark Ages politics.

So I heard there's this really obscure fanatasy series that's called A Song of Ice and Fire, idk if you've heard of it but it's pretty much all medieval politicking, and it seems to be doing pretty well.

Sarcasm aside, I would say that figuring out who the main protagonist/antagonist is would be the logical place to start. Perhaps one of the "nobility" (mods) is corrupt and abusing their power? Or maybe there's a guild of powerful merchants (or some other analogy for well-liked high posting members on this site) that disagree with the nobility's lawmaking. Figure out what the conflict is, what the sides are, and then narrow it down to the 2-howevermany main characters there will be. From there it's only a matter of assembling the obstacles and conflicts the protagonist must face.

Setting seems to be pretty easy to me. Just as how in ASOIAF has different regions ruled over by lords that swear fealty to the king, so would the different sections of this forum be regions run by different nobles/mods.

A Song of Fire and Ice isn't obscure, at least as far as fantasy novels go. I've heard about it, but haven't had time to read it recently. Maybe I'll pick it up after finals are done, subject matter seems to be something I'd be interested in. Excellent Neil Gaiman quote in your signature, by the way.

Trading Guild run by rich peasants seems like the logical analogue for veteran, popular members without any formal position. As for selecting a protagonist, the natural position to take on a scenario with multiple facets like this would be to have both a peasant and a nobleman as protagonists- that way, you can avoid painting one group or the other with an overly derogatory or antagonistic brush.

Oh, and as far as stepping on toes, you might want to get volunteers or ask permission before making members villains/bad guys/antagonists (because I'm sure some don't want to be portrayed that way, even in a work of mostly-fiction). Other alternatives include making up an antagonist, having the antagonist not be sentient (that man vs nature jazz), or using inactive or perma-banned members.

Or, if you just don't care about who gets pissed off reading, pick those guys you don't like.

Archived