"God did not create the universe" - Stephen Hawking

Catterjune

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My friend Future Paradise would object to this.

First of all, a world can be created from nothing, because "nothing" will never exist. "Nothing" as in no air, no floor, no color. Absolute notihng. From a spark of combustion in a instant, creates the universe. It just doesn't have to be perfect. It's a balance time and space.

I'm kind of ignoring all posts bar the first one, since I don't have anything to say in this topic other than one thing.

You said that Hawking does not go on to say that the laws of gravity could not have been created by an intelligent being. But that is not the same as saying that they were created by an intelligent being. He is not saying anything, besides the fact that neither side can be proven correct with our current knowledge.

• 2 weeks later...

Wasn't Jesus the son of God? That always made no sense whatsoever. Also, virgin Mary could not have been a virgin if she bore a child. <___<

And yes, you may believe in this Jesus fellow, but how do you believe the universe started.

INB4RELIGIONAFFECTSSOMEONE'SANSWERTOTHATQUESTION

Wasn't Jesus the son of God? That always made no sense whatsoever. Also, virgin Mary could not have been a virgin if she bore a child. <___<

And yes, you may believe in this Jesus fellow, but how do you believe the universe started.

INB4RELIGIONAFFECTSSOMEONE'SANSWERTOTHATQUESTION

Hahaha. I feel like I fighting against a big crowd.

Anyways:

Mary gave birth to Jesus, however, she didn't really 'got' him. God made her pregnant.

When I ask Jesus for help, most of the time he helped me. Therefore, I believe in Jesus .

I'm a girl.

And IMO I'm not a fundie.

I really don't care what you believe but I personally believe in Jesus(God).

BTW, I am a Catholic. My whole family is Catholic.

-Athena-

Well, here's a quote from the Catholic catechism:

159. Faith and science: "...methodical research in all branches of knowledge, provided it is carried out in a truly scientific manner and does not override moral laws, can never conflict with the faith, because the things of the world and the things of faith derive from the same God. The humble and persevering investigator of the secrets of nature is being led, as it were, by the hand of God in spite of himself, for it is God, the conserver of all things, who made them what they are." (Vatican II GS 36:1) 283. The question about the origins of the world and of man has been the object of many scientific studies which have splendidly enriched our knowledge of the age and dimensions of the cosmos, the development of life-forms and the appearance of man. These discoveries invite us to even greater admiration for the greatness of the Creator, prompting us to give him thanks for all his works and for the understanding and wisdom he gives to scholars and researchers.... 284. The great interest accorded to these studies is strongly stimulated by a question of another order, which goes beyond the proper domain of the natural sciences. It is not only a question of knowing when and how the universe arose physically, or when man appeared, but rather of discovering the meaning of such an origin....

Sorry, I stated my position a little too harshly before. Catholicism does not specifically endorse evolution, but it has in many instances made it clear that a belief in evolution is not incompatible.

Therefore your justification of your doubt in evolutionary processes by "I'm a Catholic" is debunked. The only remaining justification for such a belief is "I'm a fundie" or perhaps "I'm a hopeless consipracy-theorist." I picked the option that seemed most likely!

And just to throw this out there, I would feel fairly safe guaranteeing that you don't really know how evolution works. It's a logical process, and there really is no denying it.

Sorry about the gender mix up, by the way. ^.^ I didn't bother to check your profile.

Well, here's a quote from the Catholic catechism:

Sorry, I stated my position a little too harshly before. Catholicism does not specifically endorse evolution, but it has in many instances made it clear that a belief in evolution is not incompatible.

Therefore your justification of your doubt in evolutionary processes by "I'm a Catholic" is debunked. The only remaining justification for such a belief is "I'm a fundie" or perhaps "I'm a hopeless consipracy-theorist." I picked the option that seemed most likely!

And just to throw this out there, I would feel fairly safe guaranteeing that you don't really know how evolution works. It's a logical process, and there really is no denying it.

Sorry about the gender mix up, by the way. ^.^ I didn't bother to check your profile.

It's okay :) I get that mix up quite often.

I do believe part of evolution but I mainly believe in my religion.

I know I probably sound crazy but but yeah :P

While I am diverting off-topic, I'd love to grab any chance to understand what originally made no sense to me.

Mary gave birth to Jesus, however, she didn't really 'got' him. God made her pregnant.

Yes, but the key word is pregnant. I don't really care who made her pregnant, but I'm fairly sure she lost her "virgin" status at that point. I'm pretty sure society would consider a woman who is undergoing artificial insemination but has never had sex not a virgin. The fact that she gave birth to Jesus means she lost all credibility as a virgin. Furthermore, it does not fully explain how God could have possibly made her pregnant. Sure, he's God and he can do stuff, but surely there is a better answer? Make something up for all I care; amuse me. But since a lot of Christian people are against artificial insemination, I doubt God would've done that. So now that confuses me even more. And on the other hand, why did God make Mary pregnant? If you wanted this Jesus guy to be born, just poof him from nowhere. That's where Adam and Eve came from, right?

• 2 weeks later...

Well obviously Mary cheated and didn't want anyone to know, but your question isn't really all that inspiring. By virgin, we mean she didn't do the dirt with some guy and pop out a baby six months later. I highly doubt they were referring to whether or not her hymen was broken.

Isn't that NINE months?

But the thing is, the answer will never be known by man (unless the create a time machine in 2566 and go back to the START OF TIME AND SPACE), so this is an ULTIMATE question (like my RE teacher said once), one that we will probably never know the answer to.

It's okay :) I get that mix up quite often.

I do believe part of evolution but I mainly believe in my religion.

I know I probably sound crazy but but yeah :P

Anyone who uses emotes excessively is crazy in my book. :o :o :o :P :D

Oh, and since this is a debate and all, do you feel like presenting the difficulties you have with evolution in a logical manner so that I may shoot them down bludgeon them out of you respond?

In my view, there was no such thing as god. Because if He created us, how come he hasent done anything about global warming or pullution?

Obviously a supreme being created us, set all the laws of physics and the universe, and just left us. So what some religious people are saying is, he basically ditched us and left us to die from pollution and overpopulation and nuclear war.

So he's a really big ass, pretty much. I think that is what people are trying to get at.

Archived