The Official Metal/Hardcore Thread

~NOiSE~

I haven't watched anymore Dir en grey songs yet. But I can tell what the statement the band is making from the music. Maximum The Homrone is still a great band IMO. It's weird. but they still pull off to be creative and strong in order to convey their song's messages.

Dir en grey's lyrics can be pretty heavy-handed at times, but Kyo's lyrics can be quite beautiful. One of the things I like about them most is that there's almost no genre they can't play; they were actually closer to experimental J-pop when they started, but they gradually started taking on a heavier sound. They've never abandon their experimental roots though.

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haven't seen much prog on here on a while. Oh well, Haken is my favorite progressive metal band. Ever. Them and Myrath.

If you like prog metal, definitely check out Dir en grey, there are a few songs posted on the previous page.

Here are a few more awesome groups:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULkLhotzW0A&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMr3D5KC6_s

What? I thought Envy was screamo and Dir En Grey's straight up metal. You can't compare the two. But overall I prefer Envy more which doesn't make Dir En Grey any less epic.

Ain't comparing them matey. Just stating which I prefer to listen to more.

Oh and these guys are prog as well but more in line with bands like protest the hero rather than stuff like Opeth.

Ain't comparing them matey. Just stating which I prefer to listen to more.

Oh and these guys are prog as well but more in line with bands like protest the hero rather than stuff like Opeth.

I can honestly say I despise Opeth; however, I like the The Human Abstract...but so much sweep picking. I do like a lot of progressive metalcore like Periphery, Volumes and The Contortionist. Especially Periphery, because Matt Halpern is my favorite drummer. Ever. Of all time.

I can honestly say I despise Opeth; however, I like the The Human Abstract...but so much sweep picking. I do like a lot of progressive metalcore like Periphery, Volumes and The Contortionist. Especially Periphery, because Matt Halpern is my favorite drummer. Ever. Of all time.

I like Opeth quite a bit. The Human Abstract are pretty good, but they're not really my style. I generally prefer atmosphere and texture over sheer technicality, but a good combination of both is always great.

I also really dislike the whole "djent" scene.

I like Opeth. They're awesome and for TDEP, anything after Calculating Infinity is an instant gold but Ire Works featured a few weak tracks.

I agree but Calculating Infinity is probably my favorite. I actually like Ire Works as mush as their other stuff, but I guess I'm the minority.

For fans of ISIS and Botch:

https://www.youtube....h?v=ouvZamsE-GA

And this song...apparently when Knut toured with ISIS, both bands got on stage and played this song together. My male bodily fluids would not have contained themselves had I been there.

Ive played shows with Caculate and Volumes earlier this year, They are pretty generic "djent" which I don't care too much for but they do rip it up on stage.

That being said, here's some local Metal from Windsor Ontario.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlmSsZaevrY&feature=plcp

and This is Dismata, the best band to come out of Southern Ontario, sadly they broke up but some of the members went to found Terrorhorse (which also broke up :( )

Djent's the new breakdown. Although, most of Rise bands still play breakdown while most Sumerian band have move on to djents. And the crazy news that Dillinger Escape Plan signed with Sumerian.

and This is Dismata, the best band to come out of Southern Ontario, sadly they broke up but some of the members went to found Terrorhorse (which also broke up :( )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AN-9wSrPLm4

Wow, this is awesome. To bad I only found out about them today.

Yea, it's weird. At least they have a good band on their label now. I think Epitaph would've been a better fit.

Hope this mean Sumerian would sign more bands in TDEP's caliber. Agreed with you on signing with Epitaph would be better but Epitaph always have weird miss match band touring together.

For example: Every Time I die did a tour with Four Year Strong, Rancid and New Found Glory or Letlive touring with Falling In Reverse and I See Stars.

Hope this mean Sumerian would sign more bands in TDEP's caliber. Agreed with you on signing with Epitaph would be better but Epitaph always have weird miss match band touring together.

For example: Every Time I die did a tour with Four Year Strong, Rancid and New Found Glory or Letlive touring with Falling In Reverse and I See Stars.

Yea, that's true about the bands being mismatched for tours. I think the upcoming Underoath farewell tour is gonna be one of the best things I've ever seen though, and letlive. will be on that.

Also, I'm seeing Hot Water Music in January with La Dispute and The Mezingers supporting. I'm reaeeaaally looking forward to that.

i really dont have much experience with metal except for some dabbling in metal influenced grindcore and drone. id like to change that but im not sure where to start! please note that i dont mind if its loud abrasive etc (i just admitted to listening to grindcore lmao) but id prefer to avoid any cheesy lyrics or overly showy guitar work, if thats possible.

i really dont have much experience with metal except for some dabbling in metal influenced grindcore and drone. id like to change that but im not sure where to start! please note that i dont mind if its loud abrasive etc (i just admitted to listening to grindcore lmao) but id prefer to avoid any cheesy lyrics or overly showy guitar work, if thats possible.

Trap them is my favorite grind band. I also suggest listening to Converge, they're not really grind but they have elements of that in their sound, and they're one of the most well-renowned metalcore bands. I don't listen to a lot of drone other than Boris, but I do like sludge and post-metal, which can have some drone-esque moments. ISIS and Rosetta are my two favorites in that category.

Yea, that's true about the bands being mismatched for tours. I think the upcoming Underoath farewell tour is gonna be one of the best things I've ever seen though, and letlive. will be on that.

Also, I'm seeing Hot Water Music in January with La Dispute and The Mezingers supporting. I'm reaeeaaally looking forward to that.

Can't wait for that. Letlive's like a modern Glassjaw. Don't know much about Hot Water Music but I still can't get into La Dispute. Heard a few songs from The Menzingers and them I can dig.

Deftones and SOAD got me into metal while Glassjaw help me love hardcore so that's pretty much what I'm suggesting you should check out but since you already got into grindcore, try Botch, Poison The Well, The Hope Conspiracy and maybe some Zao. They'll go along fine with the suggested Converge by Coral Blue.

thanks! boris is one of my favorites and a friend of mine has been bugging me about converge for awhile now so ill check out these groups when i get the chance.

Sweet. The new Converge album All We Love We Leave Behind is probably the most accessible one they've put out (and a sick album), but Jane Doe is their undisputed magnum opus and is often considered one of the best hardcore albums ever written.

ISIS makes very dense music, they're really heavy and their songs are usually pretty slow but they absolutely crush you. Panopticon is probably their best, Oceanic being a close second, but they've never released a bad album. Too bad they're defunct now... *is sad*

Can't wait for that. Letlive's like a modern Glassjaw. Don't know much about Hot Water Music but I still can't get into La Dispute. Heard a few songs from The Menzingers and them I can dig.

Hot Water Music is pretty great, they're punk/post-hardcore from my neck of the woods. Anything from their album Caution is a great place to start, classic punk album. I have a hard time listening to La Dispute as well mostly because of the singer's voice, but my girlfriend really likes them and I think they'll put on a good show. Haven't really listened to The Mezingers at all.

Deftones and SOAD got me into metal while Glassjaw help me love hardcore so that's pretty much what I'm suggesting you should check out but since you already got into grindcore, try Botch, Poison The Well, The Hope Conspiracy and maybe some Zao. They'll go along fine with the suggested Converge by Coral Blue.

Deftones are pretty much teh best thing ever. As for Glassjaw, they need to come out of whatever hole they're hiding in and freaking do something...oh, and I just got my Poison the Well remaster of Opposite of December and Tear from the Red. I already had both albums, but I got a t-shirt and two posters so wooooo

Umm..ironically, my ex's the one who introduce me to La Dispute but I think she's more successful in convincing my girlfriend into liking em. As for Glassjaw, well...didn't released 2 new EPS last year. I combined them and it's kinda like a full form album already and they played like 7 gigs here in New York so that would mean they're touring...somewhere.

Still got my copy of The Opposite of December. Probably one of my first album I bought, didn't know they got the remaster version out. And you should try The Tropic Rot, it's brutal, beautiful and brilliant. South Florida's finest return in fine form.

Umm..ironically, my ex's the one who introduce me to La Dispute but I think she's more successful in convincing my girlfriend into liking em. As for Glassjaw, well...didn't released 2 new EPS last year. I combined them and it's kinda like a full form album already and they played like 7 gigs here in New York so that would mean they're touring...somewhere.

Still got my copy of The Opposite of December. Probably one of my first album I bought, didn't know they got the remaster version out. And you should try The Tropic Rot, it's brutal, beautiful and brilliant. South Florida's finest return in fine form.

You have an ex and a girlfriend that are friends? How'd you pull that one off? O.o

I have the Glassjaw EPs, I have to say that I Iike Our Color Green better but the new direction on Coloring Book is definitely interesting. I've tried combining them but I could never find a track order that really flowed in a way that I enjoyed.

The Tropic Rot is probably my favorite from Poison the Well actually. And yea, they just released the remaster a few weeks ago, it's a digipack with The Opposite of December and Tear from the Red on a single disc.

IM BACK MOTHERF...ERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! XD lol such a long time away becuase of college well anyways 2 awesome badns today as always more extreme than ever if it is not much to ask can someone update me on what has been happening in this tread please :3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSmoBHdTQ8k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KwWMM6_CME

again thank you guys and if you like this songs vote me please.

ども ありがと ございます

IM BACK MOTHERF...ERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! XD lol such a long time away becuase of college well anyways 2 awesome badns today as always more extreme than ever if it is not much to ask can someone update me on what has been happening in this tread please :3

Not much, just discussing sweet bands like always. Feel free to scroll through the recent pages~

Also, these guys:

You have an ex and a girlfriend that are friends? How'd you pull that one off? O.o

I have the Glassjaw EPs, I have to say that I Iike Our Color Green better but the new direction on Coloring Book is definitely interesting. I've tried combining them but I could never find a track order that really flowed in a way that I enjoyed.

The Tropic Rot is probably my favorite from Poison the Well actually. And yea, they just released the remaster a few weeks ago, it's a digipack with The Opposite of December and Tear from the Red on a single disc.

They were friends before but then she move away. 2 years later, last year they met again when we entered college. At first it was weird how my ex hangs with me and my girlfriend along with the scooby gang but it got less awkward when all of us get along well-hanging, going to gigs etc, etc.

Also, glassjaw was supposed to be releasing new stuff after releasing the eps but I think they had some legal issues with their previous label.

And I was checking for more bands outside of the US and found this guys. They're from Malaysia.

Seems like something's wrong, I can't post a media link so just click the link.

Archived