The Official Metal/Hardcore Thread

~NOiSE~

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've always liked Norther, but their sound is too closely rooted to Children of Bodom (who are actually the reason they got signed to a record deal). While I thoroughly enjoyed their first three releases throughout middle school (since I was a huge Bodom fan and loved everything that sounded like them), they got really bland after that. I'm just glad their members have moved onto bigger, and certainly better things (Petri is now in Ensiferum. Norther's bassist is now in Wintersun).

Keeping with the whole melodic death/black theme... Here's some Followbane. A very unknown, very underrated and under appreciated band from Japan.

I've always liked Norther, but their sound is too closely rooted to Children of Bodom (who are actually the reason they got signed to a record deal). While I thoroughly enjoyed their first three releases throughout middle school (since I was a huge Bodom fan and loved everything that sounded like them), they got really bland after that. I'm just glad their members have moved onto bigger, and certainly better things (Petri is now in Ensiferum. Norther's bassist is now in Wintersun).

Keeping with the whole melodic death/black theme... Here's some Followbane. A very unknown, very underrated and under appreciated band from Japan.

I haven't listened to Children of Bodom yet, though I hear good things about them everywhere, and I never knew that their bassist is in Wintersun, that's cool to hear. Also that Followbane song was pretty good.

I haven't listened to Children of Bodom yet, though I hear good things about them everywhere, and I never knew that their bassist is in Wintersun, that's cool to hear. Also that Followbane song was pretty good.

If you listen to Children of Bodom, I highly suggest that you DON'T listen to anything they've released after Hatecrew Deathroll. It all became uninspired and you can tell that their music's target audience is Hot Topic-shopping American teenagers that are really angry about nothing at all. Bodom was my favorite band of all time at one point and it pains me to say that, but it's true...

If you listen to Children of Bodom, I highly suggest that you DON'T listen to anything they've released after Hatecrew Deathroll. It all became uninspired and you can tell that their music's target audience is Hot Topic-shopping American teenagers that are really angry about nothing at all. Bodom was my favorite band of all time at one point and it pains me to say that, but it's true...

I'll take your advice on that one, what's the best CoB album to start out with?

Hatebreeder or Follow the Reaper. I'm particularly fond of Follow the Reaper.

Listening to the title track off of Follow The Reaper, I am liking what I hear, I will definitely check out the rest of the album.

Agreed dude, Are You Dead Yet was the beginning of their downfall. Blooddrunk and RRF aren't as bad as people say, but compared to Follow The Reaper and Hatebreeder they are garbage. They're planning on releasing a new album this year so we'll see if they can pull off a revival album this time. Always a fantastic live show though .

I like Are You Dead Yet? and Blooddrunk. I am not a fan of Relentless, Reckless Forever though. First three albums slay, and Hatecrew Deathroll is pretty sweet as well. 

Throwing you guys some Snapcase. 

Back onto the topic of Hardcore are we now? I'll leave this Coalesce track here:

I'm waaay more into hardcore than I am into metal, so that's usually what I'll be posting. Weird how much that's changed since I made this thread (see page one). I keep changing those top five bands as my faves change though.

Just ordered some Kiss It Goodbye, Botch, and more Deadguy from amazon.com. 

Coalesce rules. 

I'm waaay more into hardcore than I am into metal, so that's usually what I'll be posting. Weird how much that's changed since I made this thread (see page one). I keep changing those top five bands as my faves change though.

Just ordered some Kiss It Goodbye, Botch, and more Deadguy from amazon.com. 

That's alright, I love some good Metal, but I do love some good Hardcore just as much. And dude, Botch are awesome, great pick.

If your throat is hurting you're doing it wrong. :L Usually hurts your throat when you're forcing the sound, when actually growling/screaming is just breathing a certain way. And if anyone mentions the diaphragm, they're immediately wrong. Diaphragm has nothing to do with singing. Instead of forcing the sound out, try exhaling while singing. Start with whispers, then get louder and louder. 

About Children of Bodom: I agree, Are You Dead Yet didn't have anything that I enjoyed. Their work is quite melodic and has more mainstream appeal compared to other Metal bands, but I see that as a strength rather than anything else. They're recognizable and that's always a good thing.

(And I half-stopped listening to Metal before I turned mellow. lolwhat)

Kirei Kotomine: That sounds good, especially that your mom seems to be so supportive! Do you know any growlers/vocalists from the genre in your surroundings who could give you some tips or lessons?

Archived