The Official Metal/Hardcore Thread

~NOiSE~

Dear Lord, this band just ran me over with a semi. I'm definitely gonna listen to more of these guys. 

I'll just gonna post both of Rorscach's LPs, they're slightly different from each other but both great. Give them a listen if you're interested~

[spoiler=Sedate - 1990]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrW7zCIg-BI

[spoiler=Protestant - 1993]

I'm glad that you enjoyed Rorcal, they're one of my favorite bands, and I've listened to the first 3 or 4 tracks off of Remain Sedate, I'm liking what I hear so far.

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm glad that you enjoyed Rorcal, they're one of my favorite bands, and I've listened to the first 3 or 4 tracks off of Remain Sedate, I'm liking what I hear so far.

Yea, they sound massive, I'm putting them on my list.

Remain Sedate is more about fast riffing, hardcore with a bit of a metal slant. Protestant has more of a sludge approach, and Charles Maggio's vocals are a high-pitched scream instead of the hardcore shout from before. I think it's just as good if not better. 

Yea, they sound massive, I'm putting them on my list.

Remain Sedate is more about fast riffing, hardcore with a bit of a metal slant. Protestant has more of a sludge approach, and Charles Maggio's vocals are a high-pitched scream instead of the hardcore shout from before. I think it's just as good if not better. 

Well I should really take a listen to both albums, I like fast riffing as well as sludge. Yeah massive is a really good way of describing Rorcal.

Well I should really take a listen to both albums, I like fast riffing as well as sludge. Yeah massive is a really good way of describing Rorcal.

They're plenty of fast riffing in Protestant too, it's pretty great. Also the guitarist was also a founding member as well as the bassist, just found that out. 

Hey, I see Dismal is hanging out in the thread. Dismal, do have a taste for hardcore? 

They're plenty of fast riffing in Protestant too, it's pretty great. Also the guitarist was also a founding member as well as the bassist, just found that out. 

Hey, I see Dismal is hanging out in the thread. Dismal, do have a taste for hardcore? 

Maybe Dismal secretly likes hardcore music. And I'll definitely check out Protestant, as well as Sedate. And also I think this one's obvious though is your name supposed to be based off of one of the songs from All We Love We Leave Behind?

Maybe Dismal secretly likes hardcore music. And I'll definitely check out Protestant, as well as Sedate. And also I think this one's obvious though is your name supposed to be based off of one of the songs from All We Love We Leave Behind?

Yup yup. I love the song, makes me feel like I'm underwater. 

Yup yup. I love the song, makes me feel like I'm underwater. 

Coral Blue was one of my favorites from AWLWLB as well. Yeah it definitely has that underwater feeling to it.

Could anyone possibly recommend some Band / Song that goes along the lines of Iron Maiden - ish?

More specifically something along the lines of Number of the Beast or Children of the Damned or Dance of Death (my favorite Iron Maiden songs) would work perfectly.

Hmm....not too sure how to help you there as classic metal isn't m specialty, Though a lot of the classic metal fans tend to like Power Metal a lot, stuff like DragonForce and Kamelot. I've known some classic metal fans who've listened to Opeth, which I'd only recommend if you're feeling that adventurous. And another band that Iron Maiden fans seem to like a lot is Dream Theater who are a Progressive Metal band.

Love Opeth, seeing them on Friday with Katatonia!

And I'm still missing out on it, and I missed In Flames when they came earlier too, oh well at least I get to see Rush with my Uncle, in the upper seats...oh well I still get to go to at least one concert. Now I've got Opeth in my head, so I'll just leave this here

And I'm still missing out on it, and I missed In Flames when they came earlier too, oh well at least I get to see Rush with my Uncle, in the upper seats...oh well I still get to go to at least one concert. Now I've got Opeth in my head, so I'll just leave this here

The Drapery Falls is the first Opeth song I ever heard and it's still a favorite. This is my other favorite~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6nJDun8yjw

Coral Blue was one of my favorites from AWLWLB as well. Yeah it definitely has that underwater feeling to it.

Hmm....not too sure how to help you there as classic metal isn't m specialty, Though a lot of the classic metal fans tend to like Power Metal a lot, stuff like DragonForce and Kamelot. I've known some classic metal fans who've listened to Opeth, which I'd only recommend if you're feeling that adventurous. And another band that Iron Maiden fans seem to like a lot is Dream Theater who are a Progressive Metal band.

Sure, I can try Opeth, any specific songs that you'd recommend that might be a bit, well, Iron Maiden-ish?

Sure, I can try Opeth, any specific songs that you'd recommend that might be a bit, well, Iron Maiden-ish?

Try The Leper AffinityThe Moor, BleakThe Drapery Falls or Lotus Eater. And if you really like straight up metal try bands like The Sword, High On Fire and maybe Mastodon

Maybe Dismal secretly likes hardcore music.

Unfortunately, I'm not at all into hardcore. I've tried numerous times, but I just can't acquire a taste for it. Hence why I've had nothing to bring to the table during the conversations. :P

Unfortunately, I'm not at all into hardcore. I've tried numerous times, but I just can't acquire a taste for it. Hence why I've had nothing to bring to the table during the conversations. :P

It's all good. I think the reason I like the hardcore scene so much is how personal it is, and the dedication to making quality music over making good sales. Not to say that certain bands haven't earned their money's worth (i.e. Converge, The Dillinger Escape Plan).

[spoiler=Circle Takes the Square are such a nice band~]CTTSKathyNote_zpsdcebe2ff.jpg

It's all good. I think the reason I like the hardcore scene so much is how personal it is, and the dedication to making quality music over making good sales. Not to say that certain bands haven't earned their money's worth (i.e. Converge, The Dillinger Escape Plan).

Well, when you think about it, a lot of metal is that way. Especially when it gets to the more underground sub-genres.

Hey Dismal from what I've known you seem to know quite a bit about Black Metal, and so I'd like to hear your opinion on a band that I've been getting into named Liturgy. They've stirred up quite the controversy, their fans go on about how unique they are, while as other people label their music as pretentious, hipster baka metal, etc. They get called pretentious due to how their lead guy (Hunter Hunt-Henrdrix) labeled the band as Transcendental Black Metal. Just curious on your opinion of them.

Well, when you think about it, a lot of metal is that way. Especially when it gets to the more underground sub-genres.

Yea, it's true. I've kind of grown away from metal but I still really enjoy some choice bands. Gojira, Agalloch, Opeth, Meshuggah, and a few others. 

This band is Tombs is really good, they're something of a mix between Black metal, sludge and hardcore. Truly sick stuff. 

Hey Dismal from what I've known you seem to know quite a bit about Black Metal, and so I'd like to hear your opinion on a band that I've been getting into named Liturgy. They've stirred up quite the controversy, their fans go on about how unique they are, while as other people label their music as pretentious, hipster baka metal, etc. They get called pretentious due to how their lead guy (Hunter Hunt-Henrdrix) labeled the band as Transcendental Black Metal. Just curious on your opinion of them.

You may or may not appreciate my opinion on them.

Personally, I think they're horrible. I think Hunter is a pretentious idiot that needs to take a few steps away from his ego. The fact that he calls his band "transcendental black metal", while bringing literally NOTHING fresh, new, or even interesting to the table is reason enough to hate that guy. I'm fine with someone THINKING that they're offering something truly unique to the world, but when you force it down the throats of people (and write 200+ page manifestos on it), you better be damn sure that it's really unique. I fully listened to Liturgy's Aesthethica about a week ago, and I can honestly say that I hate it. Lol. Are there worse albums/bands out there? Sure. I could probably name you some. None of those, however, are hyped nearly as much as Liturgy, nor are the members of said bands claiming that they're the peak of their genre. Liturgy, from what I've heard, is an annoying mix of post-rock, hardcore, and "black metal", with Hunter's somewhat passable DSBM vocals thrown over top. All of it just feels really disjointed, really forced, and you get the impression that they are trying far too hard.

Personally, I think they're horrible. I think Hunter is a pretentious idiot that needs to take a few steps away from his ego. The fact that he calls his band "transcendental black metal", while bringing literally NOTHING fresh, new, or even interesting to the table is reason enough to hate that guy. I'm fine with someone THINKING that they're offering something truly unique to the world, but when you force it down the throats of people (and write 200+ page manifestos on it), you better be damn sure that it's really unique. I fully listened to Liturgy's Aesthethica about a week ago, and I can honestly say that I hate it. Lol. Are there worse albums/bands out there? Sure. I could probably name you some. None of those, however, are hyped nearly as much as Liturgy, nor are the members of said bands claiming that they're the peak of their genre. Liturgy, from what I've heard, is an annoying mix of post-rock, hardcore, and "black metal", with Hunter's somewhat passable DSBM vocals thrown over top. All of it just feels really disjointed, really forced, and you get the impression that they are trying far too hard.

Ouch.

Guy sounds like the Ronnie Radke of black metal.  

That's fair enough, I'm okay with that opinion. I can agree that they aren't as great as what some of their fans praise them to be, though I honestly don't find them to be terrible. Hunter's pretentiousness is a big downfall and I do agree that he needs to lower down his ego (if that's even possible lol). So all in all I can understand why you'd dislike them, as they aren't everyone's cup of tea. Well at least you said more than what people say down in the YouTube comments.

Ouch.

Guy sounds like the Ronnie Radke of black metal.  

I'd take Ronnie over him, honestly. At least Ronnie didn't write a long manifesto essentially about why his music is better, lol.

That's fair enough, I'm okay with that opinion. I can agree that they aren't as great as what some of their fans praise them to be, though I honestly don't find them to be terrible. Hunter's pretentiousness is a big downfall and I do agree that he needs to lower down his ego (if that's even possible lol). So all in all I can understand why you'd dislike them, as they aren't everyone's cup of tea. Well at least you said more than what people say down in the YouTube comments.

Even if Hunter wasn't such a douchemuffin, I'd still find them pretty bad. It's just the fact that he's passing them off as some godsend to black metal (oxymoron? lol) that makes them even worse. I had some high expectations, considering how much he was rambling on about them.

And I'd like to think I'm at least a LITTLE more intelligent than some of those YouTube commenters. I at least try to explain the justification for me disliking a band instead of just saying, "rawrgh i hate them they suk lol ur stupid 4 liking them"

Even if Hunter wasn't such a douchemuffin, I'd still find them pretty bad. It's just the fact that he's passing them off as some godsend to black metal (oxymoron? lol) that makes them even worse. I had some high expectations, considering how much he was rambling on about them.

And I'd like to think I'm at least a LITTLE more intelligent than some of those YouTube commenters. I at least try to explain the justification for me disliking a band instead of just saying, "rawrgh i hate them they suk lol ur stupid 4 liking them"

Well I can't really argue about whether what Hunter says about them is true or not, since I haven't listened to much Black Metal at all (as I've only started getting into the genre), I've only heard about 4-5 songs off of Aesthethica and after I listen to the full album, then I'll come up with a final opinion. But as of now, I like them, but I can agree that they aren't the greatest thing out there, like what some people say.

Well I can't really argue about whether what Hunter says about them is true or not, since I haven't listened to much Black Metal at all (as I've only started getting into the genre), I've only heard about 4-5 songs off of Aesthethica and after I listen to the full album, then I'll come up with a final opinion. But as of now, I like them, but I can agree that they aren't the greatest thing out there, like what some people say.

It's respectable that you keep your opinion mild until you've fully heard something.

I hate to sound like the "black metal authority," but I have been listening to black metal for almost a decade now. Liturgy is most definitely NOT the first band to do what they're doing. They're just, by far, the most pretentious of the lot. :P

I hate to sound like the "black metal authority," but I have been listening to black metal for almost a decade now. Liturgy is most definitely NOT the first band to do what they're doing. They're just, by far, the most pretentious of the lot. :P

Well like I said before, I've only just started listening to Black Metal, so I can't argue with that. But anyways since you've been listening to Black Metal for a long time what are some recommendations for bands? The only BM bands that I've liked besides Liturgy, are Wolves In The Throne Room and Burzum.

Archived