Awful books.

Clair

Meh, the only book I disliked are the Angel Armor books that Linkara wrote.

And even that wasn't SO bad, considering he wrote them when he was 13.

I still can't really hate anything.

Also, I'm actually looking forward for Linkara to remake them, as they REALLY need a patching up. -.-

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Harry Potter is one of the series I actually liked ;_;.
I remember in Grade 4, the teacher tried to read us 'The Giver', and we were all (except moi) confused and groaned until the teacher stopped.
I also got tired reading the fifth Harry Potter book, which for some reason, is so boring to me, I almost forget how it went.

Twilight is a terrible book, but as I didn't expect it to be good it didn't disappoint me. A boring book that disappointed me...hmm...The Horse and His Boy, the third book in the Chronicles of Narnia. The worst in the series, without a doubt. The Silver Chair was awesome though. Absolutely fantastic.

[quote name='Crab Helmet' timestamp='1290010088' post='4791133']
Shinji was a well-written interesting character whose personality flaws were justified by more than "HE'S AN ANGSTY TEEN".

Harry's just an idiot who randomly decided that sports and relationships were more important than "FANTASY!HITLER IS TRYING TO KILL EVERYONE".
[/quote]
Your fan fiction, I was insanely bored by it, I hope this doesn't suede your heart to put me in Foe Fiction when I release my fiction though.

Also the Harry Potter books, they are horrible and the writer hasn't developed on the characters enough for the entire series of the books.

[quote name='Älfred-Kün' timestamp='1290200433' post='4795852']
Twilight is a terrible book, but as I didn't expect it to be good it didn't disappoint me. A boring book that disappointed me...hmm...The Horse and His Boy, the third book in the Chronicles of Narnia. The worst in the series, without a doubt. The Silver Chair was awesome though. Absolutely fantastic.
[/quote]

I completely agree about The Horse and His Boy. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader was my favourite of the series though.

[quote name='Umbra' timestamp='1290148474' post='4795049']
I really hated Holes. Might be because I read it during 10th grade, but still.
[/quote]
I don't understand the whole "I read it in 10th grade" line. I read it in 9th and greatly enjoyed it, until the contrived ending with Zero and Stanley all of a sudden breaking the old family curse.

I dunno, maybe I'm literarily challenged (wouldn't be surprised, considering the made up word there) but I don't see what's up with all The Giver hate. Someone's gotta fill me in on this, please. <_<

I got the feeling that it was intended for a much, much younger audience - possibly, as Fading Black suggested - fifth- or sixth-graders. It might just be that I'm spoiled from all the Stephen King I've been reading, but the plot just seemed so... throwaway. The whole Yelnats business threw me off from the start, and I couldn't take the book seriously from then.

[quote name='Fading Black' timestamp='1290228398' post='4796889']
Well, I was in 5th Grade when I read it, so it might be lack of understanding.
[/quote]
Well, there wasn't much to it, it was supposed to be a utopia/dystopia. Though any decent wiki article could explain it well enough for you, a part of me thinks you'd be all like "who cares" and not bother reading it anyway.

I read it page to page, and was darned upset with the ending.

It was Utopia; Paradise Lost. It was not a Paradise at all. (Odd how Utopia = Paradise, when it means Paradise lost)

"Big brother, Elephants aren't real" >_> She was not even his sister, nor was he raised by his mother/father.

[quote name='PikaPerson01' timestamp='1290228313' post='4796885']
I dunno, maybe I'm literarily challenged (wouldn't be surprised, considering the made up word there) but I don't see what's up with all The Giver hate. Someone's gotta fill me in on this, please. <_<
[/quote]

I can't speak for everyone, but I was relatively irate with the book myself around 5th grade (I love it now, 7-8 years later) because of the endless amounts of analysis associated with it: Worksheet after worksheet for reading comprehension, for content, WHY Jonas did this, HOW the public reacted.

So, really, I hated it for what it brought with it, not the book itself.

Also: THE TORTILLA CURTAIN. I actually became a slightly more bitter person after reading that book. That is awful.

[quote name='Umbra' timestamp='1290148474' post='4795049']
I really hated Holes. Might be because I read it during 10th grade, but still.What little I read of The Kite Runner before I decided I actually liked my brain was disappointing.
[/quote]

I liked holes, I thought it was really good except for that bit at the end which made no sense ,also the worst book I've ever read was this book called hitler's daughter we had to read for school, all the main character does is go around asking stupid questions

[quote name='Fading Black' timestamp='1290236645' post='4797163']
It was Utopia; Paradise Lost. It was not a Paradise at all. (Odd how Utopia = Paradise, when it means Paradise lost)

"Big brother, Elephants aren't real" >_> She was not even his sister, nor was he raised by his mother/father.
[/quote]

The community in The Giver was a strict, gated community-type thing. They got rid of colour (only Jonas could see colour), they got rid of love (Jonas was given pills when he developed feelings for that girl he wanted to bathe. His parents seemed alarmed and confused when he asked them if they loved him.) they were restricted from lying (Jonas is taken aback when The Giver tells him the rules of not-lying no longer apply to him), freely practiced euthanasia (the "sending" thing) and it seemed unlikely Jonas or anyone else had ever left the community in their entire lives.

Only one person in the entire community (The Giver, and later Jonas) had any memory of a time before the New World Order kicked in.

If you want to call that a utopia... go ahead. o_o

Though considering his sister had never seen an elephant (never left town, no television, no newspaper of sorts) it'd be like someone today telling you "Big brother, leprechauns and mermaids aren't real". She had never seen one and had zero reason to believe they were real.

I'm going to say Brave New World for the following reasons:
• There was little plot and so many ideas. Even with so many ideas, I still didn't feel as though I didn't get enough info about the world. Personally, I think it should have either been a story with a plot living in a futuristic "utopian" world, or just a pure book of ideas with no storyline (kind of like an informative text of a fake/futuristic world). Trying to create both just didn't appeal to me.
• Bernard Marx acted purely based on whether or not he was accepted and played both sides of the field.
• The ending was lame to me to be completely honest.

Thw whole thing bugged me. It just... sickened me, even at that young age.

I was going with the literal Original meaning of Utopia, which is Paradise Lost. It does not mean Paradise, pre-transfer to English.

The fact that they raised them to believe that they were NOT real is what gets me.

The word "Utopia" comes from a work by Thomas Moore depicting a perfect ideal society called Utopia; as such, it describes similar idyllic societies. The name is a pun in that it can be read as Outopia ("No Place") or Eutopia ("Good Place"); Moore chose it because his world was good, but so perfect that it did not exist in reality. The name does not mean "Paradise Lost" or anything of the sort, so stop posting nonsense.

Archived