Yu-Gi-Oh! ZeXal Sub/Manga Official Discussion Thread

.Nu-13

I just realized a slight rarity: Yuma never used the first S/T he Set that duel.

Very rarely in Yugioh do facedowns stay facedown all Duel without one player losing on purpose (Bastion in GX, Crow in 5Ds). The only other time in Zexal I noticed this was Kaito vs Shark. Kaito Set a facedown after Shark used Splash Capture, but never used it.

Although instances where a facedown's identity was revealed to the audience, and the intended combo/play became irrelevent doesn't count (Shark vs Kaito)

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I found something interasting a while back. It brought up a very interasting theory. The Numbers represent the desires of the human who first obtains it. Kotori, despite being part of the Numbers Club, is the only one in Yuma's group of friends who has never been shown to duel. Feeling that the rest of Yuma's friends (Cathy in particular, being a rival for his affection) are more useful than her, she'll attempt to build a deck of her own and her jealousy will result in the appearance of another Number card. (A literal [url="http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GreenEyedMonster"]Green-Eyed Monster[/url]) She may even become a temporary antagonist like Carly did, and Yuma has to save her. OR Kaito gets to her first, wins on his first turn, takes her Number and soul, and Yuma becomes a wreck because Kotori's soul was stolen.

[quote name='Rainbow Dash' timestamp='1324362348' post='5718609']
Kaito saved a blimp/plane from crashing.

He's one of the most well-developed characters I've ever seen.
[/quote]

Kaito's not an asshole. Simple as that.

He's ruthless when dueling, but he has honor and he dislikes taking souls when Number hunting.

That's something that still makes me wonder

Yuma caused the Numbers to start popping up... Yet, despite it being, what, 2 months or so, Dr. Faker, Kaito, etc. Moved THIS FAST?

Was Faker just like sitting over his magic cauldron, going "WHERE IS ASTRAL?"

[quote name='Yuzuru Otonashi' timestamp='1324363287' post='5718628']Yuma caused the Numbers to start popping up... Yet, despite it being, what, 2 months or so, Dr. Faker, Kaito, etc. Moved THIS FAST?

Was Faker just like sitting over his magic cauldron, going "WHERE IS ASTRAL?"
[/quote]

He's apparently in control of Mr. Heartland.

Mr. Heartland is the ruler of Heartland.

Think this way: If someone enslaves Obama, he'd be able to do some amazing stuff.

...Apparently since it says 'the miraculous Overlay', apparently Neo GEPD is an Xyz. Our favorite Anti-Xyz card's evolution is an Xyz. Huh, go figure.

On the other hand, apparently someone called Dog-chan is gonna appear. And Haruto will finally be useful for once- and get kidnapped by Tron. I think in the coming episodes, we're gonna see a lot of new Numbers by IV, III, and Kaito, as well as Yuma using some of his own- at least, if I was writing the script, that's how I would make it.

[quote name='Merciful Idiot' timestamp='1324393303' post='5718905']
...Apparently since it says 'the miraculous Overlay', apparently Neo GEPD is an Xyz. Our favorite Anti-Xyz card's evolution is an Xyz. Huh, go figure.

On the other hand, apparently someone called Dog-chan is gonna appear. And Haruto will finally be useful for once- and get kidnapped by Tron. I think in the coming episodes, we're gonna see a lot of new Numbers by IV, III, and Kaito, as well as Yuma using some of his own- at least, if I was writing the script, that's how I would make it.
[/quote]

If I was writing the script, Yuma would have used other Numbers ages ago.

[quote name='Hydreigoon' timestamp='1324363178' post='5718625']
He does what he must for his brother. I wonder how long hes been hunting Numbers?
[/quote]

In episode 13, Mr. Heartland was impressed that Kaito managed to gain so many Numbers in such a short time. Granted, 11 in the time it took Yuma to get 6 when he started with 1 actually is pretty impressive.

But it's unclear how long it's been since the Numbers appeared.

Won't see the episode until its subbed later in the week, so trying to avoid seeing comments about Number 25 and the specifics of the duel (am aware of some spoilers, but its not a major episode so not to fussed).

Just want to say right now that I read on the wikia that Yuma is going to duel Gauch and Driote after they've crushed Flip (presumably after they've caught him cheating). That's fine... as long as he loses. I will be massively pissed off if Yuma beats them.

He is starting to get a bit too Yusei-ish for my liking, but without the talent to justify it (not that Yusei going the entirity of 5D's undeafeted was ever justifiable in my mind). It's all well and dandy showing the aftermath of him losing to people like Tetsuo and Obomi in meaningless duels off-screen, but it would be a huge let-down if they lost to him and render the pair meaningless, which they are obviously not. I don't want to go the all series knowing 'oh, Numbers are on the line, Yuma's won'.

Also, since people are chatting about who will qualify for the finals (presumably 8, maybe 16?). People think that Cathy and Tetsuo are going to qualify among the top ranking duelists from across the world competing in Heartlands major dueling festival, and many of whom are still running around with Numbers? Really? Really?

Final 8: Yuma, Shark, Kaito, III, IV, V, and two other good duelists. Even if that means new characters.

[quote name='Verz Bahamut' timestamp='1324403790' post='5719178']
Won't see the episode until its subbed later in the week, so trying to avoid seeing comments about Number 25 and the specifics of the duel (am aware of some spoilers, but its not a major episode so not to fussed).

Just want to say right now that I read on the wikia that Yuma is going to duel Gauch and Driote after they've crushed Flip (presumably after they've caught him cheating). That's fine... as long as he loses. I will be massively pissed off if Yuma beats them.

He is starting to get a bit too Yusei-ish for my liking, but without the talent to justify it (not that Yusei going the entirity of 5D's undeafeted was ever justifiable in my mind). It's all well and dandy showing the aftermath of him losing to people like Tetsuo and Obomi in meaningless duels off-screen, but it would be a huge let-down if they lost to him and render the pair meaningless, which they are obviously not. I don't want to go the all series knowing 'oh, Numbers are on the line, Yuma's won'.

Also, since people are chatting about who will qualify for the finals (presumably 8, maybe 16?). People think that Cathy and Tetsuo are going to qualify among the top ranking duelists from across the world competing in Heartlands major dueling festival, and many of whom are still running around with Numbers? Really? Really?

Final 8: Yuma, Shark, Kaito, III, IV, V, and two other good duelists. Even if that means new characters.
[/quote]

Yuma wont lose.

According to the preview, Astral is fighting Number 96 and therefore Yuma can't Summon Utopia. Why would he need to? The only time he uses Numbers is when his opponent has them, so Droite and Gauche probably have a Number.

And Magi Magi Magician is probably the saving card in that duel. It's not a Number and he could use his Gagagas for it. Then he could drop one of their (assumed) Numbers to 0 with Gagaga Girl, use the effect of Magi to steal the other's, and hit for game or something.

The fact is, we have to expect the protagonist to win most duels. That's just how Yu-Gi-Oh shows work. Yusei took the concept to the extreme, to the point where yes, he never officially lost a duel over the course of the series, and even had him face Z-One, who had the most broken archetype since the Orichalcos.

The fact the protagonist almost always wins is what makes those critical losses so much more enjoyable. Yugi's first official defeat was to Rafael (that being, a duel he didn't forfeit or lose on purpose). Crow didn't lose without losing on purpose until Team Taiyou, and his complete inability to fight against Grannel was enjoyable. Jaden lost 3 times officially, and this was most annoying because his Deck sucked so badly.

Yuma winning so much is a bit annoying, since he's clearly unskilled, but he's improving a bit. Of course, high stakes duels aren't going to end with him losing without it being some sort of plot twist. Making him lose to opponents that don't matter does not give credibility that the protagonist isn't invincible. This has been said in regards to "Mary Sue" characters in fanfic. A character that never loses, but then does to a meaningless opponent with no stakes is not evidence that the character isn't a Sue.

The problem with Yugioh is that the protagonists get TOO MUCH attention, making his inability to lose more jarring and annoying. GX almost deliberately neglected the majority of the cast. At least the original (DM) Yugioh gave Joey some credibility as a duelist as time went on.

Yusei was the worst offender, but Yugioh as a series is incredibly prone to it.

[quote name='evilfusion' timestamp='1324405381' post='5719230']
Yuma wont lose.

According to the preview, Astral is fighting Number 96 and therefore Yuma can't Summon Utopia. Why would he need to? The only time he uses Numbers is when his opponent has them, so Droite and Gauche probably have a Number.

And Magi Magi Magician is probably the saving card in that duel. It's not a Number and he could use his Gagagas for it. Then he could drop one of their (assumed) Numbers to 0 with Gagaga Girl, use the effect of Magi to steal the other's, and hit for game or something.

The fact is, we have to expect the protagonist to win most duels. That's just how Yu-Gi-Oh shows work. Yusei took the concept to the extreme, to the point where yes, he never officially lost a duel over the course of the series, and even had him face Z-One, who had the most broken archetype since the Orichalcos.

The fact the protagonist almost always wins is what makes those critical losses so much more enjoyable. Yugi's first official defeat was to Rafael (that being, a duel he didn't forfeit or lose on purpose). Crow didn't lose without losing on purpose until Team Taiyou, and his complete inability to fight against Grannel was enjoyable. Jaden lost 3 times officially, and this was most annoying because his Deck sucked so badly.

Yuma winning so much is a bit annoying, since he's clearly unskilled, but he's improving a bit. Of course, high stakes duels aren't going to end with him losing without it being some sort of plot twist. Making him lose to opponents that don't matter does not give credibility that the protagonist isn't invincible. This has been said in regards to "Mary Sue" characters in fanfic. A character that never loses, but then does to a meaningless opponent with no stakes is not evidence that the character isn't a Sue.

The problem with Yugioh is that the protagonists get TOO MUCH attention, making his inability to lose more jarring and annoying. GX almost deliberately neglected the majority of the cast. At least the original (DM) Yugioh gave Joey some credibility as a duelist as time went on.

Yusei was the worst offender, but Yugioh as a series is incredibly prone to it.
[/quote]

Thanks for spoilers <_< Bit weird that 96 is suddenly going to resurface again, but whatever, we'll see when we see. [s]I take it there won't be a new episode next week on Boxing Day?[/s]

I appreciate that lead character has to win 99% of the time, but over the last two series of it the lead two protagonists have suffered how many losses between them? Yusei, as we know, never officially lost. Yuma is supposed to be a terrible duelist, and we see him losing these matches offscreen, but so far his only official, onscreen loss is to Shark. And techically to Tetsuo as well, although there was an element of throwing that one. So that's a combined total of 2.

Back to the point we're arguing, I would like to think Driot and Gauch, as Fakers right and left hand, kinda do/should matter. Beating a major protagonist is the best way to put them over as major villians. They fight and lose to Yuma and they'll have no credibility for the rest of the series. Everytime they come on screen I'll just think 'anything you do or say is irrelevant, you already lost to Yuma once, you're not going to win any rematch later when the stakes get higher,' which is when Yuma should beat them. Anjd its far too early for them to abandon Faker and not be baddies anymore if he beat them.

I'm not by any means saying Yuma should be beaten by every tom dick and harry as that would make a poor series, but I just fear he's becoming a mini-Yusei. It doesn't help that he gets so much of the spotlight, which is the situation the whole Numbers thing has put the writers in.

There can't not be an incident in the entire series where Yuma loses when a Numbers is on the line. There just can't be.

Scratch my question, we are getting ep 37 on Boxing Day. Tokunosuke is caught cheating, has to face Droite and Gauche, and will be disqualified if he loses. Knowing this, Yuma takes his place in the duel.

So yeah, Yuma win garunteed before the episode has even aired, exactly what I didn't want. Ballbags.

[quote name='Pacmanexus' timestamp='1324414315' post='5719576']
Of course by that logic, Yusei vs. Kiryu is Yusei's loss...but whatever.
[/quote]

Which is why I didn't count it.

Protagonist being on verge of losing and baddie has to run off/duel ends without result =/= protagonist losing.

Not by some way Konami.

Archived