so i herd u liek planning moar arr-pees {RP PUBLIC PLANNING THREAD}

[quote name='TheFinalFan' timestamp='1353151436' post='6071719']
Merciful, I think that's a great idea!
I once tried a prequel RP to Madoka Magica involving the magical girls that would eventually become the witches in the series, but it never caught on.
But I am heavily interested in a Madoka Magica RP.
[/quote]

I know, I found it while searching to see if there's ever been a PMMM RP before.

[quote name='Merciful Idiot' timestamp='1353129911' post='6071593']
You do realize you just missed the best episode? Um, well, just watch Episode 3 to the very end and you should be set.
[/quote]

Well, technically you'll need to watch 6, 7, 8, and 9 too if you don't want to get spoilered...but the third episode alone is enough to understand just what exactly makes the Madoka Magica world spin.

[quote name='Aesirson' timestamp='1353154510' post='6071731']
Also a question to those interested; would you like some part of the RP to take place in a distant time with the character's ancestors, where duels are played similarly to the DiaDhank duels at the end of the original YGO?
[/quote]

That idea is appealing to me, though I'm not sure if it'll work.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[quote name='Merciful Idiot' timestamp='1353172124' post='6071843']
That idea is appealing to me, though I'm not sure if it'll work.
[/quote]You're probably right, it wouldn't be much more than confusing jumping between the character's present selves and the ancestors, although I still think the Animus will play some part in the RP (because Assassin's Creed wouldn't be Assassin's Creed without the Animus parts, would it?)

[quote name='TheFinalFan' timestamp='1353151436' post='6071719']I once tried a prequel RP to Madoka Magica involving the magical girls that would eventually become the witches in the series, but it never caught on.[/quote]

Funny... I remember having this [i]amazing[/i] idea of having this dragonic hydra witch that would multiply itself whenever a magical girl would get anywhere [i]near[/i] her, and I [i]also[/i] remember that very same app blowing up in my face because [i]you[/i] never seemed to like the [i]process[/i] of it or something or rather <_<

Yes, I admit that I was solely relying on being able to pick up the PMMM thing as I went along, but I also blame you for being too technical.

[quote name='ClearAngel' timestamp='1353331115' post='6073300']
Well I finished Madoka Magica, and I'll just say... Wow I didn't imagine that ending. My favorites would have to Homura or Sayaka.
[/quote]

YES YES YES. I bet you realized the darkness once Episode 3 had ended, right? Sayaka and Homura are also my favorites~ alongside Kyubey.

Well, I think I'll make the RP thread in a little while. Legend Blood is almost at its climax anyway, so I think I can handle managing two RPs.

[quote name='Ketodama' timestamp='1353337317' post='6073324']
Well, this is worth mentioning. Who here would be interested in a Fate/zero style Holy Grail War RP?
No, you will not be allowed to use Arturia if I do make this so don't ask.
[/quote]

I considered making one myself, but scrapped it. The problem here is that YCM is not Beast's Lair, not everyone understands the Nasuverse, and even then a Fate RP is dependent upon a MINIMUM of 14 characters, plus any extra. The idea itself is too complex. Now I would really love joining it myself, but I'm not sure if it'll get far. It's hard to establish, you see.

[quote name='Merciful Idiot' timestamp='1353338608' post='6073335']
I considered making one myself, but scrapped it. The problem here is that YCM is not Beast's Lair, not everyone understands the Nasuverse, and even then a Fate RP is dependent upon a MINIMUM of 14 characters, plus any extra. The idea itself is too complex. Now I would really love joining it myself, but I'm not sure if it'll get far. It's hard to establish, you see.
[/quote]

Yes, I know full well just how difficult it would be to effectively put one together, and at the minimum you'd want seven individual RPers controlling the various masters and possibly their servants as well. I'm debating whether or not I'll actually be putting it together but if I do decide to do so don't expect it for at least a month. This will require some in-depth thought to make it accessible to those less-than-familiar with the nasuverse.

[quote name='ClearAngel' timestamp='1352867951' post='6069001']
[spoiler='RP Idea']To what you ask. Well to the Lumiere Games, of course! A tournament were the strongest Trainer’s gather to figure out the best among them, and guess who we've deemed worthy. You have been selected among the pool of all Trainer’s worldwide, and having made it through our rigorous selection process, you were selected to compete. By participating you will be flown to the Hanging Gardens, this tournaments main grounds, to compete. The Hanging Gardens are a manmade structure, which is anchored to Moon Grace Mountain, located in the waters between Hoenn and Sinnoh. The structure is similar in structure to a chandelier, and has a main area will you be staying and battling for a good portion of the tournament, and four branch off areas which we call the Dens of Light. Each den contains a member of the Candelabra Quartette, some of the most powerful Trainers in the world. By responding to this letter you will have the chance to meet rare Pokémon from faraway regions, win fabulous prizes, and if you make I through the preliminary round a chance to face the Candelabra Quartette. If you defeat all four of the Quartette, then you have the chance to face our Luminatta Queen, the Hanging Garden’s Champion. Though we should warn you though lately we have had several attacks on our grounds by a mysterious group known as Team Luminary. They claim to want to enlighten all of the peoples of the world, and their tool will be the Regla Core, a device which powers the Hanging Gardens. [/spoiler]
[/quote]

[spoiler=My Contributions to this Idea]There is a secret sealed away about the Hanging Gardens, and Moon Grace Mountain itself. It was hidden from the world so that people could prepare for the future of the world. There exists an underground temple, which was above ground in ancient times. It was the summoning grounds of one of 3 of the rarest Legendary Pokemon to exist. This Pokemon is known as the most powerful of its type, more specifically a Psychic Type (Minus Arceus). And to summon this powerful creature, is through the Regla Core, which contains the necessary power to open a gateway from this world to the dimension in which he is dormant. However, if one were to bring this Legendary creature to the earth, it has been prophesied that he would bring destruction to the world, attempting to restart the world under his rule, as there was an undocumented moment in history where such an event occurred for nearly 2000 years. And Team Luminary intends on assuring such a thing to happen, even if it means that they will die in the process. However, one man not of Team Luminary knows of this plan and intends on entering the Lumiere Games in order to lure out Team Luminary and put a stop to them. His name is Connor Rai, and he won't stop until Team Luminary is done and out.[/spoiler]

So yeah, I'm all for the second idea, even if it does die. You got to give it a shot, and if my ideas are shown in something other than my own stories, someone might actually get a kick out of.

BTW Monsieur, you're a killjoy when it comes to good ideas, even if you are right.

[quote name='Ketodama' timestamp='1353337317' post='6073324']
Well, this is worth mentioning. Who here would be interested in a Fate/zero style Holy Grail War RP?
No, you will not be allowed to use Arturia if I do make this so don't ask.
[/quote]

Tried it, got only 3 applicants. I can 99% safely say that such an idea would not work on YCM, even with a reduced Magus/Servant bracket.

@Merciful, I did, so I was just watching with my bowl of Fruity Pebbles, and ironically (in mami's case) drinking tea, when Mami does her Tiro. I was like well looks like Madoka's becoming a magical girl and that b**** Homura(I only started liking her around the sixth episode) isn't getting her way. And then Charlotte happens and eats Mami face. I was really caught of guard. Oktavia was the coolest witch out of all of them. That Magia theme was great though~<3

@C4 I do like the idea, unfortunately it seems that they always die, but I guess we could try it. Does anybody know what ussually kills these RPs?

[quote]@Merciful, I did, so I was just watching with my bowl of Fruity Pebbles, and ironically (in mami's case) drinking tea, when Mami does her Tiro. I was like well looks like Madoka's becoming a magical girl and that b**** Homura(I only started liking her around the sixth episode) isn't getting her way. And then Charlotte happens and eats Mami head. I was really caught of guard. Oktavia was the coolest witch out of all of them. That Magia theme was great though~<3[/quote]

Hahahaha~ yeah, I know right? It's kinda shocking, but all writers (me included) know that if a character suddenly gets relevant and goes into detail about what they're going to do after current events (such as eating large cake), they're probably gonna die.

Anyway, the PMMM RP (Puella Magi Yuki Magica) will be up in a few hours...granted I can secure an internet connection with my laptop.

[quote]
@C4 I do like the idea, unfortunately it seems that they always die, but I guess we could try it. Does anybody know what ussually kills these RPs?[/quote]

Familiar setting, unfamiliar environment. It all boils down to [b]'I already did this in the games, so now it's boring to do it again'[/b]. Now, new elements and all are introduced to keep things fresh...but there are two things that people really want in RPs, as far as I'm concerned;
[i]1. To explore a world they've familiar with.
2. To experience an entirely new story.[/i]
A Pokemon RP set in Kanto or Johto will automatically be more popular because everyone's familiar with them, while one set in...say, Bohgan, will simply bore people. Why do you think people commonly make characters that hail from other already-existing regions? This isn't a videogame, it's an RP, where MULTIPLE PEOPLE must interact for it to work. If you leave a lot of room for creativity (like my original Legend Blood), then people will join because they like contributing to the story. If you set the RP in a familiar world (like New Domino City), then people will join because they want to explore the world they're already familiar with. It's like reading about Japan and being amazed by it, but never actually getting the chance to [i]go[/i] there. An RP's like a simulation of actually going there.

The reason why RPs like the second idea tend to fail is because it's neither; it's a familiar setting with rules set in stone, but an unfamiliar environment where any wrong step could cause the plot to collapse on the creator. Now there are many exceptions, but the Pokemon world is vast. Regions are VERY vast. YOU can't have an RP spread across eight cities the same reason I can't set Legend Blood anywhere else but Nuevida and its surroundings. Also, nobody really likes new Pokemon. Movesets, appearances, you can't check these things anywhere. It gives them headaches to get familiar with something that they won't ever go back to anyway.

Also, the plot's too ambiguous, but if you go too much into detail, it'll end up cluttered. So it's a lose-lose situation for any Pokemon RP that isn't based in the main series world, and why your first idea works so much better.

That's my psychoanalysis of RPs anyway. Feel free to tell me I'm wrong.

In all honesty, I'm not the one, or anyone for that matter, to say that you're wrong in any extent. It's just that I don't believe what you said regarding unfamiliar environments is true in its entirety. There's a reason why a lot of people decide to creating unfamiliar environments in RPs. And that's because people WANT to explore these new environments and learn as much as they can about it, whether it be canon or not. And that's the point of making a story: to create new environments that people will have no idea about and would want to be interested in learning more about it. Now, there are people who have their own opinions on new things, but I say about half of the time, people actually want to learn as to what these new worlds hold in the story that's being told, including its overall significance to the plot. If an RP starts and/or ends in new places not seen in canon storylines, it may affect the judgement of how somebody's character responds to certain situations in that area. In fact, if it starts in a new area, and they leave to a familiar area, then it might go two different ways:[list=1]
[*]Popularity would increase or even decrease depending on what area the story will take place in next.
[*]Participants of the RP would be annoyed that they didn't learn enough of the new area to become accustomed to it (There is an exception to this possibility, however. If at one time the RP changes to a new area, and the creator of the RP as his/her character ends up saying something related to finding more info about the new area somewhere else, then the first possibility is a lot more likely to happen)
[/list]
If an RP remains in that new area, then all of the characters applied for said RP will have as much time on their hands as they need to in order to learn as much as they can about the new area as possible, which could increase or decrease in popularity depending on what RPers find out over time (What interests them and what doesn't). I'm not saying you're wrong about anything you said Monsieur (For the most part, I'm with you on this); I just believe you need to look at certain criteria in RPs at a different angle and see if that's better or not.

This is just a consideration, BTW, so it's up to you if you would like to follow this or not. I just want to give my opinion (Which with yours I do agree with you on for almost everything you said). So, keep it in mind for another day. It could help you out in the long run.

IMO:
If you are making a fan RP, then all you need is what is most important and appealing in the manga/anime/video game which much of the stuff, as well as enough relation for it to be actually called "insert name of manga/anime/videogame". For many, it is the world or the canon characters which are most important, but for stuff like Bleach, where combat and stuff is most important, all you would pretty much need is Zanpakutou and Hados and an explanation of this new environment and the rest would be optional. For Naruto, perhaps, all you would need would be the villages and stuff and jutsu's, but otherwise, you can just send them off on missions that don't actually interact with the current events. It[i] is[/i], however, often very cool to bring in canon characters from time to time.

You know, Swifty, you technically just restated my no. 2 of what people want in RPs. :\

Pokemon is complex, involving mathematics and non-humanoid designs, and not to mention the world has already been expanded so many times already. When people enter a Pokemon RP, chances are they'd want things to stay simple, instead of introducing a whole new region. There are of course, many exceptions, but it's more complex to explain than any ordinary RP. Regions involve not one, but eight cities, the whole details of which is never sufficient enough.

It's true, a new Hidden Village for a Naruto RP or a Bleach RP in somewhere entirely new has a much greater chance of being successful. But Pokemon... it's harder to understand than a simple addition of Hidden Villages (the concept itself of which is simple). Pokemon is cool and all, and well-loved by many, but when introducing ideas it gets complex, and the only way to understand them is to play the game itself- oh, game? No, there's no game, just text and maybe a map...

Alright so I've been nurturing this idea for awhile. I was originally going to make it a fanfic, but thought it was about time I tried to host a successful RP. And since the recent topic is Pokemon RP's it's the perfect time to bring it up. So here it is...

[spoiler=Spoiler]
The world has changed since Ash and his friends ventured across the world...a lot. There is no longer a distinction between regions, everything has merged. But how can this be?

Team Magma struck. They got what they wished for. After battling it out with various Trainers, Gym Leaders, Elite Four members, and even Champions, Team Magma awakened Groudon and all of his mighty power. But in an attempt to harness his power, Team Magma angered Groudon and sent him into a furious rage. There was no stopping it, Groudon let loose all of its power. The land shook, mountains collapsed, and volcanoes erupted. The world thought it was entering its last chapter, but with a final roar of power Groudon's fit ceased. But its mark on the world would not be so easy to erase. The regions that had once been separate had collided and became one. The event was appropriately titled The Merge.

The Merge took the lives of many...but not just humans. Pokemon too. For years the world was in a state of panic as it learned to cope with its new surroundings and the scars of the past. But now, finally, the world has seemed to find peace. Something needed to be done. A celebration. A party. Something special....a tournament. The world would be hosting its biggest tournament yet. Trainers from all over would be invited to compete. Anyone. Anywhere. The prize? A Pokemon egg...a very special egg. The prelims of the tournament would take place all across the globe. After the prelims the tournament will move to an island located, conveniently and somewhat cliche-ly, at the very center of the super-region in Lake Arcanum. The lake is said to be guarded by Uxie, Azelf, and Mesprit, but as of now the rumor has not been confirmed.

---

With all this excitement, there of course has to be some trouble. After The Merge the villainous teams of the world seemed to realize their mistake in trying to control the legendary Pokemon of the world and the consequences of interfering with nature and soon dispersed. But a new team has emerged. Adopting the name of the most previously influential nefarious team of Team Rocket. This new and improved Team Rocket has a new goal in mind though. Cleansing the world of the Legendary Pokemon. They believe them to be too powerful, to unpredictable for them to exist. They have infiltrated the tournament, in hopes of finding trainers that own Legendary Pokemon or know the location of Legendary Pokemon. Knowing that they will be going up against very powerful Pokemon, this new Team Rocket are no pushovers.

---

You are a competitor in this tournament and have made it through the prelims of the tournament. You have just arrived on Arcanum Island. You are not just any competitor though. You have, in some way or another, been touched by a Legendary Pokemon. You have gained the attention of Team Rocket, although you are not aware of the danger that hovers around you.
[/spoiler]

So what do you think? I know there are some flaws, but I was kinda hoping you guys could help me in the fixing of the holes in the story...

Hm... would anyone be interested in a Virtual Reality MMORPG RP? I've been watching Sword Art Online and absolutely love it, though the first arc went a little fast and people died after 20 minutes of screen time and you were supposed to feel for them (the second arc is, so far, better in terms of pacing, but I'm getting a little off topic here).

Yes, I realize it's been done before, but it's really just a Fantasy RP, which has been done plenty as well, but people live double lives. Would people prefer something based on Sword Art Online or ALfeim Online or just something completely new?

I'm also thinking: What if everyone collaborated to think up arcs or just the storyline as well as places and NPCs?

I had an idea of an original RP which I would love to hear your opinions about.

The RP takes place on a planet that is 95% covered by water and civilization is mostly based on rigs and floating colonies. However, a long time ago the planet was only covered by about 70% water, and the world was inhabited by an ancient civilization (appropriately called the Drowned by today's people) which had very advanced technology at hand. At some point in time, however, something went wrong and almost the entire planet was flooded, and the few surviving Drowned evolved into humans.

The technology level of the humans is Steampunk-ish, and the RPers would take the roles of crewmembers of a Treasure Hunter ship in search of Drowned artifacts and the truth about the great flood.

Ideas? Suggestions?

[quote name='Aesirson' timestamp='1353850949' post='6077449']
I had an idea of an original RP which I would love to hear your opinions about.

The RP takes place on a planet that is 95% covered by water and civilization is mostly based on rigs and floating colonies. However, a long time ago the planet was only covered by about 70% water, and the world was inhabited by an ancient civilization (appropriately called the Drowned by today's people) which had very advanced technology at hand. At some point in time, however, something went wrong and almost the entire planet was flooded, and the few surviving Drowned evolved into humans.

The technology level of the humans is Steampunk-ish, and the RPers would take the roles of crewmembers of a Treasure Hunter ship in search of Drowned artifacts and the truth about the great flood.

Ideas? Suggestions?
[/quote]

Sounds very similar to the book Pendragon: The Lost City of Fa'ar. But yeah, the idea is interesting, I just don't know how well it would do as an RP. Most RPs are very action-y. While this idea does sound fun and adventurous, how much will people actually be able to do?

Ex.
Bob looked across the ocean, the sea spray hitting his face...and this continues for several hours until we find an island.

---

Like I said, it isn't a bad idea, but it will definitely need some preplanned action, like mutiny or a sea monster attack, to keep RPers interested. I could see this working more as an original piece of literature than an RP.

Reminds me of Disney's 'Treasure planet', sort of. Sounds good, I'm certainly interested. Pirate-esque Steampunk marine archaeologists? Pretty awesome sounding.
However, it does need something to add urgency or danger into the equation, or something of the like. Just searching for stuff rarely turns out well; so perhaps a rival crew? Or a danger in a major city that requires 'Drowned' technologies to solve. Or war, perhaps?

EDIT after Ninja'd

Like Renegade said, something action-y is needed. Fighting amongst the crew, pirates, enemy/rival ships, corrupt captain; something of this sort of nature.
I'd also advise against Magic, if you were tempted to lean that way. It doesn't seem like it'd fit in with the environment and would just lead to magic spamming and OPed-ness, leaving it rather dull with little actual fighting.

[s]It needs Halo-esque fighting!!!! Just kidding, though you could have that and it may work, I was just thinking about Forerunners...[/s]

Maybe a good plot thing to add after a sample adventure would be: A city that just rose out of the sea, it appears to be an ancient citadel. People are rushing towards it, trying to get there first. Sea monsters, rival crews and pirates appear. There are mysterious weather conditions, horrible storms of a size unrecorded in history. They get marooned or something, [s]get attacked by cannibals[/s] and then rescued again. But wait a minute... these people who saved them aren't normal people... they be... [s]FORERUNNERS[/s] THE DROWNED :o. The Drowned have reappeared!!!! Some ancient evil appears as well, maybe some evil sea god!!!!

Then, generic-sounding obtain-sacred-artifact type thing???

I dunno, just thinking about your idea... Seems like a nice idea.

Archived