May now be locked - The Original Chance Format

Hmm it is true that my vote technically was past the due time of the list, much more than "in the last minute".

Though, keep in mind that other than me, the only voters were Chance himself, and you, which is also not too appropiate for big desitions, and being an internet forum, you could say I was just lucky enough to even be online at the time of the votation. These sorts of deadlines shouldn't be that official. I mean, we can always keep moving it as more opinions come our way (unlike what Konami does by waiting 6 months).

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm it is true that my vote technically was past the due time of the list, much more than "in the last minute".

Though, keep in mind that other than me, the only voters were Chance himself, and you, which is also not too appropiate for big desitions, and being an internet forum, you could say I was just lucky enough to even be online at the time of the votation. These sorts of deadlines shouldn't be that official. I mean, we can always keep moving it as more opinions come our way (unlike what Konami does by waiting 6 months).

In all honesty I actually prefer a hit the list every x time rather then hit the list whenever x feels like something is a problem.

Mainly with the latter, the list will eventually be a bloated abomination where every deck that has topped gets hit and becomes unplayable or cards are banned before they even see play.

Now to be fair I did at one point want Judgment (the spellbook) banned but I changed my vote because banning it out right just wasn't fair for the card to never see play even if it is an absolute broken + engine.

In all honesty I actually prefer a hit the list every x time rather then hit the list whenever x feels like something is a problem.

Mainly with the latter, the list will eventually be a bloated abomination where every deck that has topped gets hit and becomes unplayable or cards are banned before they even see play.

Now to be fair I did at one point want Judgment (the spellbook) banned but I changed my vote because banning it out right just wasn't fair for the card to never see play even if it is an absolute broken + engine.

My opinion goes the other way.

Cards that are obviously broken shouldn't be printed at all. I wouldn't allow Chaos Emperor Dragon or Yata Garasu to have a chance if they were new just because they hadn't been played.

Plus, hitting cards doesn't mean making the deck unplayable. The main ideas of a banlist are: a) promote newer products for the good of our sales. Which we honestly don't really care about for the custom banlist. b) balance out the game, only lowering the most problematic ones to a more or less even ground with the rest of the good decks.

The one problem hitting at not-so setup dates, is that knowing what is suddenly banned/limited/unlimited is more chaotic, really.

My opinion goes the other way.

Cards that are obviously broken shouldn't be printed at all. I wouldn't allow Chaos Emperor Dragon or Yata Garasu to have a chance if they were new just because they hadn't been played.

Plus, hitting cards doesn't mean making the deck unplayable. The main ideas of a banlist are: a) promote newer products for the good of our sales. Which we honestly don't really care about for the custom banlist. B) balance out the game, only lowering the most problematic ones to a more or less even ground with the rest of the good decks.

The one problem hitting at not-so setup dates, is that knowing what is suddenly banned/limited/unlimited is more chaotic, really.

Well, the thing is. Not everything is absolute. What is broken or just plain unfair in one format isn't going to be the same in another. Dark Worlds being the best example of this.

Hell Chance almost scared me away from this format when I saw my thoughts coming into reality when he pointed out the idea hitting 4 cards from Spellbook/Prophecys. Bought had a heart attack there. No offence Chance of course. ^^;

Well, the thing is. Not everything is absolute. What is broken or just plain unfair in one format isn't going to be the same in another. Dark Worlds being the best example of this.

Hell Chance almost scared me away from this format when I saw my thoughts coming into reality when he pointed out the idea hitting 4 cards from Spellbook/Prophecys. Bought had a heart attack there. No offence Chance of course. ^^;

None taken, and you're right. Some cards that are in bad design/broken/etc aren't in other formats.

HOWEVER, Burei has shown its worth by being a really unfair card for the past few tournaments. Still think it doesn't deserve to be hit?

None taken, and you're right. Some cards that are in bad design/broken/etc aren't in other formats.

HOWEVER, Burei has shown its worth by being a really unfair card for the past few tournaments. Still think it doesn't deserve to be hit?

It's a powerful card, I'm not saying it isn't. However, is it really worth running at 3 to begin with? Especial since it's an Extra Deck card that takes up 3 of those slots and forces you to run only up to 2 of something in the Main.

Yeah, they might not be as broken in other formats. but that's exactly why it's good to be able to change them back without waiting 3+ months for the current format to end.

Before continuing, I need to point out that, although I'm saying "whenever needed" rather than having a set date, I by no means mean that moving something around is a light desition. We usually hold at least 2 decently sized tournaments to see the results before making a vote.

In some builds, yes. But even if you're running only 2, by hitting it and forcing the card to be run @2 in this format, it takes the place of other cards that should be run, like for example:

I'm running 2 Burei...crap I can't run my 2 [Insert Power Semi-Limited card here] along with them.

By doing this, we reduce the deck's strength, but by no means make it unplayable.

Also, I'll construct the tournament on Tuesday...when we're "officially" done with the ban list.

Yeah, they might not be as broken in other formats. but that's exactly why it's good to be able to change them back without waiting 3+ months for the current format to end.

Before continuing, I need to point out that, although I'm saying "whenever needed" rather than having a set date, I by no means mean that moving something around is a light desition. We usually hold at least 2 decently sized tournaments to see the results before making a vote.

I cant agrue to much with this since the previous tourny lasted about 3 months to finish. I still prefer a set date.

In some builds, yes. But even if you're running only 2, by hitting it and forcing the card to be run @2 in this format, it takes the place of other cards that should be run, like for example:

I'm running 2 Burei...crap I can't run my 2 [Insert Power Semi-Limited card here] along with them.

By doing this, we reduce the deck's strength, but by no means make it unplayable.

I'm fully aware of this which is why I didn't  give a vote on Fortress. I knew that card would be hit and IMHO it's far more of a threat then Burei at. 

Okay, we're reaching the final hour before finalization!

Goomba's (who the hell is this guy/girl?) vote DOES NOT COUNT

Last time we were talking here about the issue, that member was lurking around. It's one of those low/zero- post members. I think he even was still validating his account iirc when I saw it.

Yup, doesn't count.

Given how Karakuri still have Burei...

Top 4:

Karakuri

Fire Fist

Spellbooks

Incarnate Dragons (Disaster Dragons)

Top 8 (including top 4)

Madolches

Gadgets

Merlantians

Dragunities

So, time to try and top 8 without one of them then. Or with Sacred's..... 

Hmm, choices.

Also, I'm expecting Incarnites to top.

So, I just heard about this today, and I decided to check it out...only to get puzzled as to how it works.

What's the difference between "Power Limited" and "Special Limited"?

You can have 1 Power Limited and 1 Special Limited, or 2 Special Limited and no Power Limited but not 2 Power Limited. There's no other difference except in name and which cards are in them, really.

So, I just heard about this today, and I decided to check it out...only to get puzzled as to how it works.

What's the difference between "Power Limited" and "Special Limited", and what's the point of having 2 different banlists?

Basicly Power are cards that by nature impact your deck quite a bit. While else Special is more along the lines of utility.

Wait. So I can only have a certain number of Limited cards, period?

And I'm confused regarding how many copies max of a card can you normally have. Is it 2 or 3?

The OP doesn't seem very clear to me.

You can have 1 card maxed at 3 main deck or other wise, all others have a limit of 2.

You can have a 3rd copy of another card(s) in your side but you have to make sure to swap it out with your current 3.

Archived