What the Forum (emphasis on) Needs!

Legend Zero

[quote name='Hatcher' timestamp='1351727638' post='6058347']
This may just be my ADD talking, but it kind of bothers me that Creative Writing is under the Yu-Gi-Oh! banner. >_>

[b]I think it deserves its own section[/b], and also maybe have RP as it's own section since it's so much more active then the main Creative Writing section usually is.
[/quote]

It does. I always thought it was weird.

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[quote name='American Machismo!!!!!' timestamp='1351724280' post='6058305']
I could get behind negs, but I suggest having to add a reason for it so the negged knows why they were negged.
[/quote]

If negs are put back I would ALSO, suggest having to add a reason for it so the negged knows why they were negged

People just "neg" some one to death for "fun-ises" would be bad, People just "neg" some one due something posted/stated/custom cards/etc. but the guy/girl/hideyoshi/troll/robot does not know why he/she/hideyoshi/troll/robot was "neg" then how do you expect them to learn from their mistakes?

So, I second this suggestion, firmly!

[quote name='Agro' timestamp='1351726934' post='6058340']
I think we should keep a rep system, but as Crouton gathered, neg reps usage is managed horribly by members.

So I say either keep the current system, or go to the positive system... which I still don't know what that is.
[/quote]
I agree negs would be abused, so best not add that. But we've already reached that conclusion. I curious what the positive system is, and since I don't think it will hurt anyone, maybe switch to it, see what its like, and if people don't like it move back?

[quote name='Hatcher' timestamp='1351727638' post='6058347']
This may just be my ADD talking, but it kind of bothers me that Creative Writing is under the Yu-Gi-Oh! banner. >_>

I think it deserves its own section, and also maybe have RP as it's own section since it's so much more active then the main Creative Writing section usually is.
[/quote]
Agreed. Both should have their own section.

Also, any chance of getting rid of the double forum and member tabs at the top of the forum?

[quote name='Flame Dragon' timestamp='1351734668' post='6058410']
Also, any chance of getting rid of the double forum and member tabs at the top of the forum?
[/quote]
... What?

[quote name='Legend Zero' timestamp='1351735004' post='6058417']
What about making RP and Creative Writing as sub-sections under Literature? It would look weird to have another Section of just two.
[/quote]
I have no problem having three seperate sections, all grouped together. But putting Creative Writing as a Sub Forum of Literature would be lame, since Literature gets like... zero posts a day wheras Creative Writing and RP are much, much more active.

[quote name='Hatcher' timestamp='1351735455' post='6058423']
... What?

I have no problem having three seperate sections, all grouped together. But putting Creative Writing as a Sub Forum of Literature would be lame, since Literature gets like... zero posts a day wheras Creative Writing and RP are much, much more active.
[/quote]
[IMG]http://i46.tinypic.com/eulx1c.png[/IMG]
If you look on the top I have 2 tabs for members and for the forum. Might be a problem on my end though.

And yea, Literature is a bit too dead to make such active sections sub-sections of it.

I have a new favorite mod/admin now.

Now we just need someone trustworthy and skilled with whatever coding the cardmaker requires, an xyz template, and then we'll be set!
As for minor changes, you've pretty much covered all those.
This has been quite the halloween treat. :3

Yeah, the like button could be fixed.
Iffy about negative reps, but I did like the old system where you could manually rep someone for IDK, something like being overall helpful and such.

Creative Writing and RPs should be their own sections IMO.

But since we're already at it, I also think something needs to be done about Literature.:/
It seemed needed back when the Multimedia section was created, and when a few topics about books were popping up in General, people were going all 'oh! it needs its own section!". But on a good day, it gets about 2-3 posts.

Not too sure what to do about it and it's been on my mind for a while now.
Maybe some Multimedia sub-sections could be merged together? Or I can smell that people won't like it, but merge all of Mutlimedia into one big section?o.o The downside is that we would have to work with tags (or something that lets you tell music topics apart from books), the positive side is that many multimedia topics fit into several branches (like movies, books, music soundtracks) anyway.

Only Video Games and Anime/Manga are a bit of a different take, so I don't feel like these should get shoved into anything. Music and TV Shows have their regulars, but now I feel like the Literature forum wouldn't make a difference being there or not.=S

Just my own thoughts; if people think that a Literature section is needed, keep it.

Okay, you switched to the rep system from the like system, right? With this system it looks like the only real difference is that instead of "Dr. Cakey, ragnarok1945, and 100 other people like this" it's "102 people like this". It's not really a big difference...unless people think it's better to keep the people who like a post private? It doesn't make a difference to me; actually, I might prefer the like system better. I think it looks a little better, too.

Currently it's set to "Positive Reputation Points" as opposed to "Likes".

Thoughts? We can switch back if you all want.

[quote]Maybe some Multimedia sub-sections could be merged together? Or I can smell that people won't like it, but merge all of Mutlimedia into one big section?o.o[/quote]
Multimedia all combined, I'm not familiar with the section enough to make a good enough judgment call on that.

[quote]Is it possible to bring back your Likes tab? Not trying to sound arrogant, but sometimes I liked scrolling through them and seeing old posts of mine other people liked.[/quote]
I would have assumed the "Reputation" bar was where that stuff was kept, but it doesn't look like it. Or maybe it got reset when we switched and you have to build it up from here on out? I'm not sure...

[quote]Is it possible to put back that profile wall thingy that lets you post on people's profiles like Youtube/Facebook/etc.? I miss that. [/quote]
I vaguely recall that. You're not refering to the "Profile Feed" but like, an older system, right? Not sure what was changed there but I'll look into it.

[quote]Okay, you switched to the rep system from the like system, right? With this system it looks like the only real difference is that instead of "Dr. Cakey, ragnarok1945, and 100 other people like this" it's "102 people like this". It's not really a big difference...unless people think it's better to keep the people who like a post private? It doesn't make a difference to me; actually, I might prefer the like system better. I think it looks a little better, too. [/quote]
It formerly was Likes, so it would say "Alice, Bob, Carol, and 40 other people like this". Now it is Positive Reps, so it's just: "^[43]".

You can check who likes your posts though. Just click on the little number there and a small screen should pop up.

[quote name='Hatcher' timestamp='1351741593' post='6058537']
You can check who likes your posts though. Just click on the little number there and a small screen should pop up.
[/quote]
Doesn't work on my end. :S

Anyways, you could fix the notification problem that happens like, in fifteen minutes, where Notifications basically shut down.

Reputation little number thing at the bottom of every post works now. (Or at least it should be working now.)

[quote]Anyways, you could fix the notification problem that happens like, in fifteen minutes, where Notifications basically shut down. [/quote]
From my understanding, Notification always does that around midnight because IDONTKNOWABOUTCOMPUTERS. It's a scheduling thing and it's like... testing for tics or something? I dunno. >_<

[quote name='Hatcher' timestamp='1351750540' post='6058621']
You can now see where you got what reputation, and where you gave what reputation from your own profile.
[/quote]
THANK YOU.

Seriously, I get random reps and I am so curious that I want to know how I got them.

[quote name='AznKvn' timestamp='1351753696' post='6058633']
What do you mean by re stocked the shops (I'm less than a year old on here)?
[/quote]

Well, there is a shop on YCM which allows you to buy Coloured Topic Titles and a Username Change for a certain amount of points, which were sold out, and they have been restocked.
Also, I'm pretty sure the shops are less than a year old. Unless time has gone that quickly.

[quote name='AznKvn' timestamp='1351754109' post='6058636']
[s]Can you show me where it is?[/s](<off topic, I'll just try to look for it)
[/quote]
I've been here for a long time and I only just found them. Below where you see the sign out option is a points tab like for the card maker and the forum. That is where you can buy things.

Positive reps are better than likes. It has less clutter and is just better to look at than the likes.

The custom formats only pop up every so often. We shouldn't make a new section unless it would be off the wall active.

How about we remove Literature completely, having book discussion go back to General. Then move RP and Creative Writing to Multimedia? Or just move RP and Creative Writing down to Multimedia and keep Literature, because having a semi-dead section now doesn't mean it will be that way forever.

Archived