March 2013 Format Discussion Thread

Its that time of the year again. It is a time where we look back on the previous format while also looking onwards to the next. Most of the products (barring early February releases) have been made legal so now we can start to make inferences about the upcoming format.

The purpose of this thread is to contain all of the discussion involving the March 2013 Banlist into one convenient thread (hopefully minimizing the amount of flooding that usually happens towards the end of February and August). 

What to post in this thread:

- All wishlists / realistic lists go here (Post reasons for your selected Banlist choices!)

- Any scans (real or fake) of the March 2013 Banlist go here

- Opinions on individual cards and their list positions go here

- Opinions on topics of discussion go here (e.g. Heavy Storm / MST paradox) 

- Keep the thread liberal

*** All moderators have the final say and have the right to include additional rules if desired ***

LZ Edit: Current List of Discussion (practically confirmed)

Forbidden:
Sangan
Wind-Up Carrier Zenmaity

Limited:
Wind-Up Magician
One Day of Peace
Solemn Warning

Semi-Limited:
Tsukuyomi
Thunder King Rai-Oh
Advanced Ritual Art

Unlimited:
Spore
Blackwing - Kalut the Moon Shadow
Lumina Lightsworn Summoner
Shien's Smoke Signal

Mind Crush

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

God Dammit I was gonna post this once Monkey's thread hit page 3.

Anyways....

p0aar8R.gif

img cred to dgz

Apparently, Tewart has hinted that Merlanteans will not receive any serious hits, only token hits to "hit" them.

Wind-Ups should have Magician to 0, or 1 at worst, but will probably end with Magician @1 and Shark/Factory@1 ala Hornet/Dragonfly@1.

Gear Gigant will most likely go to 1 and no further hit on machines.

HEROes/Dark Worlds may get slaps on the wrist. Stratos is obviously the best hit, but it probably won't happen. DW would probably have Snoww hit to 2, if anything.

Rabbit, TGU, Hieratics, Fire Fists, and Inzektors won't move at all, most likely. They may move Dragonfly up 1, but I'd expect that in September rather than March.

Did I miss anything?

Black, that image is so wonky. I still love it regardless.

Apparently, Tewart has hinted that Merlanteans will not receive any serious hits, only token hits to "hit" them.

MEGALO TO 2, JUST TO TROLL

Gear Gigant will most likely go to 1 and no further hit on machines.

Meta: Damn it, guys, NO STROBE LIGHT.
Gigant: THE CLUB CAN'T EVEN HANDLE ME!
Meta: *Limits Gigant*
*shot*

I think the best way to tackle the Banlist is to go through all of the current biggest decks and make decisions based off of that.

Mermails, Dino Rabbit, Wind-Ups, Agents, Gadgets, HEROs, Dark Worlds, Inzektors, Prophecy, Constellars, Fire Kings, Fire Fists, Evilswarms, and Six Samurai are the decks of influence that we should be looking at.

And we have to take into account both the TCG and the OCG metagames.

And we cannot forget to remember that decisions are mostly made of a product-profit basis, so we have to factor in future releases as justifications for ban list changes.

Mermails, Dino Rabbit, Wind-Ups, Agents, Gadgets, HEROs, Dark Worlds, Inzektors, Prophecy, Constellars, Fire Kings, Fire Fists, Evilswarms, and Six Samurai are the decks of influence that we should be looking at.

cannot forget to remember that decisions are mostly made of a product-profit basis

Garunix.dek has yet to get an English release.
Derp.

I think the best way to tackle the Banlist is to go through all of the current biggest decks and make decisions based off of that.

And we have to take into account both the TCG and the OCG metagames.

And we cannot forget to remember that decisions are mostly made of a product-profit basis, so we have to factor in future releases as justifications for ban list changes.

Based off this,

Mermails, indirect hit (Not on a Mermail/Atlantean card)

Dino Rabbit, Rabbit to 1, as much as I hate to say it, even in the OCG its a great card.

Wind-Ups, Magician to 1/Zenmaity Ban (Truthfully I think this and a Shark/Magician Semi would be the best)

Based off this,

Mermails, indirect hit (Not on a Mermail/Atlantean card)

Dino Rabbit, Rabbit to 1, as much as I hate to say it, even in the OCG its a great card.

Wind-Ups, Magician to 1/Zenmaity Ban (Truthfully I think this and a Shark/Magician Semi would be the best)

That's not based off that at all, or you'd realize what's wrong with your second choice.

OCG has rabbit as /7th/ place. It won't be hit. And hitting Rabbit makes both Evilswarm and Fire Fist sales in the TCG go down. They will not hit rabbit.

You only need 2 Magician for the combo, so that's stupid. Magician needs to go to 0/1, based on what it does, and semi-ing it does nothing. Shark to 1's not impossible, but hitting Shark at all is stupid because it's totally fine. Zenmaity's not the problem.

Most of the products (barring early February releases) have been made legal so now we can start to make inferences about the upcoming format.

Garunix.dek has yet to get an English release.
Derp.

February 8th, I know.

And on that note anyways,

300px-AssaultoftheFireKings-SD24-JP-SR.p

I truly believe that Assault of the Fire Kings will get hit even though it will be out for less than a month. There is no way, even with the need to generate profit from their new structure deck, that Konami can let this stay at 3 for an entire format. It's applications are ridiculous.

300px-AssaultoftheFireKings-SD24-JP-SR.p

I truly believe that Assault of the Fire Kings will get hit even though it will be out for less than a month. There is no way, even with the need to generate profit from their new structure deck, that Konami can let this stay at 3 for an entire format. It's applications are ridiculous.

Bestiari should've been FIRE.....BASH ME!

Based on Konami's listings, we can be assured that at least Water and Machines are gonna be hit in one way or another. For Water, the only thing really worth hitting immediately is Atlantean Dragoons. They may hit something else, but the stupid consistency Dragoons gives them is absurd, so it's definitely getting hit. Past that, idk. Machines are even tougher to really think about. I mean, I'm not even sure what the OCG decks are past gadgets. At least here, I'd suggest Geargiarmor or Gear Giant X, but idk if that'd really solve anything.

Because of Konami's insistency of keeping HEROs up there, I can only assume that any deck above them is going to be hit. That includes Dark Worlds, of course. HEROs have 2 cards that can be hit, obviously. Those being Elemental HERO Stratos or Miracle Fusion. Dark Worlds can go 3 ways. They can either ban the consistency in Snoww, Unlight of Dark World, the engine in Gates of Dark World, or the power in Grapha, Dragon Lord of Dark World. Based on their recent history, however, I'm going to suggest that they put Snoww to 1 like Agents or 2 like Hieratics. Perhaps they may hit it like Lightsworn though and put Grapha @2. In either case, I got my fingers crossed for them getting hit like Chaos Dragons and seeing Card Destruction banned.

The obvious hit here is on Wind-Ups. The simple existence of Wind-Up Shark and Wind-Up Magician make people want to quit the game, so they have to do something about it. The obvious decision is putting Magician to 1, but Konami could just as easily put Shark to 1 or 0 to be dicks. Or maybe putting both to 1 like Inzektors. Wind-Up Factory should probably be hit, but I don't see them doing that.

Fire Fists are the 6th deck by Konami's judgment. Unless they completely wreck the meta in the TCG, I see them getting hit as much as Dark Worlds were last format when Konami listed them as the 6th best deck. That, of course, being absolutely nothing. Dino Rabbit may have Tour Guide from the Underworld get put to 1 based on being there, you know, just to end that deck, but I don't see Rescue Rabbit going lower not only because of Evilswarm, but even because of Harpies. Perhaps also, Konami puts Inzektor Hornet @0 and Inzektor Dragonfly @3, but I don't think they're going to move either. Though if they'd be nice, they could just ban Dark Armed Dragon and that would honestly kill Inzektors enough. Same goes for Hieratics. I think they're done, but Konami may consider putting Hieratic Seal of Convocation @3.

One other thing I'd like to make note of is how Konami actually has a history of hitting cards after reprinting them (examples: Spore & TGU, but there were some even before that) So I'm going to suggest that Black Luster Soldier - Envoy of the Beginning or Monster Reborn are within the target sights after their reprinting in LCYW. Gorz the Emissary of Darkness and Exodia the Forbidden One also fall into this category. Of course, Rabbit and TGU also fall into this list, but, again, I don't see Rabbit getting hit as much as I see TGU getting hit (also because it's used in Dark Worlds).

As for what's coming back. I'm still on the side that Tsukuyomi is coming back to 2, though Book of Moon is as likely. Gravekeepers with Caius the Shadow Monarch could be quite a fun deck with those two back. If they actually ban Dragoons instead of limiting it, I think there's a chance they bring out Tribe-Infecting Virus for Water (but god, I hope not). Chaos Sorcerer could come back if BLS is banned; which is what they should have done in the first place. Also, Summoner Monk to 3 is definitely possible.

Also, I think that Blackwings are on the rise again and they just got new support out in the TCG, so I can see Blackwing - Gale the Whirlwind or Black Whirlwind being put to 2. Konami does have history of letting older decks come back after a while, and without much effect simply because of the power creep. (Debris, how ya doin?) Also in this category could be Lonefire Blossom, Formula Synchron, Spore, Scapegoat, Reborn Tengu, or Lumina, Lightsworn Summoner.

Final Predictions:

Forbidden:

Black Luster Soldier - Envoy of the End

Card Destruction

Elemental HERO Stratos

Dark Armed Dragon

Limited:

Wind-Up Magician

Wind-Up Shark

Atlantean Dragoons

Snoww, Unlight of Dark World

Tour Guide from the Underworld

Gear Gigant X

Semi-Limited:

Tsukuyomi

Book of Moon

Scapegoat

Blackwing - Gale the Whirlwind

Formula Synchron

Unlimited:

Hieratic Seal of Convocation

Summoner Monk

Spore

Lumina, Lightsworn Summoner

Dragoons won't be hit. They're still pushing Mermails in the TCG. Remember Inzektors and how REDU kept them from getting hit for a format?

If they get a hit, it'll be a silly little smack on the wrist, like Sphere to 2.

There's no reason for TGU to be hit, looking at the meta. Rabbit's a rogue deck, doesn't warrant a hit. Snoww to 1 seems unrealistic when they're 5th place. Card Destruction is all but impossible for the same reason. Stratos to 0, while the best choice, is also unlikely due to being 4th.

They just made the Chaos Dragon Tengu things. BLS going is unlikely. DAD won't go because neither of the decks its in are considered T1.

Hieratics, and all that other stuff, moving up doesn't make sense because September is testing format.

I actually wanna bring up a few things myself, now.

I keep seeing people call for this guy to burn in hell, understandably: 

300px-Number16ShockMaster-CT09-EN-SR-LE.

He's just way too easy to summon for so much force behind it. 

People seem to hope for Diva/Undine to lower numbers alongside Dragoons, despite the fact the hits will probably be small.

Duality to 3 is something I'd like to see, but I'm not sure Konami's ready to bring it back yet, for whatever reason.

Avarice needs to go, but doesn't seem expected as much as demanded.

Mind Con/Reborn to 0

Consensus seems to be that WATER will be untouched or close to it and that FIRE will not be touched. No one seriously thinks Rabbit to 1.

One Day of Peace to 0/1 is popular, over Exodia and Countdown, etc.

Wind-Up Factory over Magician with Shock @0 is also showing a bit.

"Supposedly Shueisha and Konami suits won't let Tribe come off because they're afraid it'll scare everyone off of Archetype Decks."

I personally still advocate Gishki Aquamirror to 0 because Gishkis deserve to be raped over and over by the banlist... But... Augus needs to go to 0. It doesn't have much impact, but it's still a stupid FTK. 

That's all for now.

Stratos- 0

Magician - 0

Dragoons- 2 Black is right. This would be the the biggest hit they would give it, and I doubt they'l even do that.

Snoww- 2 Dark Worlds are still viable with Snoww at 2, so I wouldn't mind that much.

Chicken or Tenki- 1 or 0

Stone Excavation- 3 Doubt they will though.

Tsukuyomi- 2 I have a feeling Konami is going to drag out putting her at 3.

Monster Reborn- 0 Wouldn't be shocked at all if they did this.

Mind Control- 0

Formula- 2

Undine- ?

Number 11- ? Don't know why, I just have a feeling Big Eye will be hit somehow.

DMoC- 1 ONLY if Reborn and maybe Dark Hole get banned.

See, the issue with Shock Master~
In specific conditions(which aren't all that rare), it can be a game-winner.
Since if the deck is specifically dependent on ONE kind of move(Spells for Spellbooks, Monsters for Dark Worlds, etc), you basically shut down the Opponent for the time being.
And using it late game is VERY crucial, since given the environment, and based on what a player has left over, you could easily augment that area to net you the win.

Shock Master is good, and I can see why people would want it at 0, but its not as herpderp-busted as other shenanigans that other cards can pull off.

I dunno', I'm just speculating.

Archived