Cardmakers' Cabal [CCGs/Cardmaking/Card Design]

Aix

[hr]

2i8fx1j.png

[hr]So here's a new club to discuss cardmaking, how to make good cards as well as plan out DuelPortal events or even create our own custom CCGs. Basically, anything to do with cards and such. I suppose you could discuss TCG here as well.

[spoiler=Tenets]

•  
  • All YCM Rules apply.
  • No flaming or maliciously trolling.
  • Respect others and yourself.
  • Use proper spelling/grammar/punctuation.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Application]Just put N/A if you don't want to respond or can't think of a response.

Username:

What you want to do here:

What you want to see happen:

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Members]

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Projects][spoiler="Random Booster"]

[/spoiler]
[spoiler="Storyline Booster"]
[spoiler="WIND Archetype"]http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/AixDivadis/library/Wind?sort=3&page=1

-Constant search to demonstrate "knowledge". Has effects trigger off of chance between card types revealed, whether it be in opponent's hand, back row, or top/bottom deck.-
Search doesn't have to always be to hand, and keep in mind that +1 shouldn't be a common occurrence. It should also be noted that back row has a 1/2 probability of being a certain Card Type, whereas Deck/Hand is 1/3, so effects based on Deck should be slightly more powerful than back row (or back row's Trap trigger shouldn't be too good).[/spoiler]
[spoiler=FIRE Archetype - Agnian]- Ritual Archetype[/spoiler][/spoiler][/spoiler]

[spoiler=Contests]In case we have any, says Kyng.[/spoiler]

[spoiler="Image Collections"]
[spoiler=AixDivadis s Favorite Artist Links']I've spent a long time finding good artists on deviantART and Pixiv and I will start listing the ones I deem suitable for card art here. Note that for Pixiv, you need to create an account and login :/

Unless otherwise noted, most will be art of people rather than beasts.

Also, many of these card arts are already used in other TCGs and CCGs or are pop culture fan arts.

[/spoiler][spoiler=Kyng's Choices:]I've compiled my own gallery of Card Artwork, some original and most collected from the vast galleries I found online. It is the Custom Card Artwork Dump, link provided here: http://customcardartworkdump.imgur.com/
- If you would like me to regularly update it, PM me or express this interest by some other means.

In terms of Deviantart Galleries, one I highly recommend is Genzoman's (http://genzoman.deviantart.com/) because this artist has actually been commissioned, by Konami, to draw Ancient Dragon AND Noble Knight Gawayn, as well as work on the colouring for Noble Knight Artorigus. If it is good enough for Konami, it is good enough for Custom Cards.

Another key Deviantart Gallery I highly recommend is El Grimlock's (http://el-grimlock.deviantart.com/) due to both his similar art style to Genzoman's, as well as the fact that he also works on another Card Game's artworks, called Legend of the Cryptids, as well as other established TCGs such as World of Warcraft, etc.

This page for the Legend of the Cryptids Wiki is devoted to all its artists - it is bound to have some good ones: http://legendofthecryptids.wikia.com/wiki/Artists

Another Wiki Page devoted to TCG Artwork is the Duel Master's Page: http://duelmasters.wikia.com/wiki/Artist

I use -boorus to find some of my artwork, in particular Gelbooru; however many of these sites distribute a high degree of NSFW content. I will instead provide some tags that are best used to find good, SFW artwork:
[spoiler=List of Reliable -booru Tags:]takayama_toshiaki
yilee
shingeki_no_bahamut
lena_(zoal)
epic
-> epic original
-> epic artist_request
ze-l
igunuk
matataku
makarori_(noah)
michii_yuuki
rettag
suzuya_akinori
hayaken
yamaada
tokyogenso
nariann
tanigawa_hiroshi
eel_(artist)
youichi
monster_hunter no_humans
kaiju_samurai
emudoru
takahashi_kazuki
enemy_works
edobox
kazkazkaz
kera_(ggg33)
yagi_(sinnsyou)
parata
morishita_naochika
satsuki_mei_(sakuramochi)[/spoiler][/spoiler]
Toyo's Art Vault: http://s1255.photobucket.com/user/NEKO_MIKO_YCM/library/Toyot/Card Art Vault?sort=4&page=1

[/spoiler]

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Username: Koko
What you want to do here: Help people improve in terms of design and flavor. I also want to help more people become TCG savvy
What you want to see happen: I want to see people improve in their cardmaking capabilities. Now that I'm not a mod, I can pretty much chill with everyone else and just help them a lot better.

Username:  Varies from time to time, but you can call me Sora.

What you want to do here:  Discuss card making and hopefully collab with some members to make archetypes and complete booster sets (ala what Spike, Cherz, Toyo, and I did in April).

What you want to see happen:  A succulent piece of chocolate cake enter my mouth.  Idk.

Am I good to go?

Discuss card making and hopefully collab with some members to make archetypes and complete booster sets (ala what Spike, Cherz, Toyo, and I did in April).

That's a nice idea. We could maybe make one as a club (when we get more members)?

That's a nice idea. We could maybe make one as a club (when we get more members)?

Hopefully.  I think making booster sets as a club would be the most fun.  We could have votes to decide the overarching  theme of the set as well as which of our archetypes and single cards would be incorporated into it.  I have a few ideas for concepts for booster sets that I could share once we get more members.

Username: Therrion

What you want to do here: Collaborate balanced cards/ideas with other competent card makers.

What you want to see happen: The world burn. Oh, and have 1v1 Contestants vote on other 1v1s.

As for booster sets, that sounds really cool. I'd be up for it. It'd be a welcome change from the attribute contest which my team isn't really working together on.

Hopefully.  I think making booster sets as a club would be the most fun.  We could have votes to decide the overarching  theme of the set as well as which of our archetypes and single cards would be incorporated into it.  I have a few ideas for concepts for booster sets that I could share once we get more members.

To add onto this, something else that might be fun is doing a set system like MtG where the overarching story is continued on over several sets. This'll allow each member to pick a new direction for the story every set and give everyone a chance to give the story a big impact. Of course there'd be people who moderate it and such to make sure the story doesn't become a massive mary sue deal, but you get my point either way.

Either way, I agree with the idea of a club booster.

The difficult task with a well rounded story would not only be the story itself but finding the art to do so. MtG has paid artists that they can pay to get art for a specific story, such as their mythology set recently.

On this above subject, it'd be cool to compile what images we all have into a mega archive to be used for card making.

The difficult task with a well rounded story would not only be the story itself but finding the art to do so. MtG has paid artists that they can pay to get art for a specific story, such as their mythology set recently.

On this above subject, it'd be cool to compile what images we all have into a mega archive to be used for card making.

Kyng and I have some really good galleries that the entire club can use, if he joins. An update to the OP with image archives would be really cool of an idea though

I myself have a good deal of images, a lot from DeviantArt lurking a few days at a time. I feel as though if we uploaded image archives there would be many repetitive pictures. I could probably sift through and delete those that recur, if we decide to do such a thing.

Might I add that I love the fact you chose the word cabal, as opposed to something like club or corner.

I myself have a good deal of images, a lot from DeviantArt lurking a few days at a time. I feel as though if we uploaded image archives there would be many repetitive pictures. I could probably sift through and delete those that recur, if we decide to do such a thing.

A lot of us use completely different sources. I tend to follow a lot of Japanese artists from several different Japanese sites, personally, so I have a lot of good art that most people wouldn't ever find normally. =P

Well, obviously before submitting you should perhaps attempt to order them yourselves. As for me, I put my pictures into several folders, labeled after MTGs 5 colors. That narrows it down enough for me, since in Yugioh if its the color or even uses the color that relates to an attribute, it can be that attribute. (Red Fish underwater can totally be fire!) So, if I want Fire, I'd check red, as well as if I want to create a Fiend. That is an example, of course.

I usually stalk Deviant Arts Digital Art - Fantasy, I don't really go onto sites that have lots of Japanese/anime pictures. I imagine the Japanese (or even Korean) artwork is amazing, though.

So, compilation of images, then booster? Sounds neat.

When should we begin discussion on such matters?

EDIT: Where could I upload my image files into a downloadable/viewable file? I'll be sifting through and making all images YCM-compatible (proper cropping), and will go ahead and plaster them here afterwards.

Username: Infinite(Star)Heaven, or just call me Ain

What you want to do here: to find new inspiration and ideas, and to improve myself

What you want to see happen: equality for cards with black backgrounds and written cards!

err, I mean, I want to see a thriving community that's really know about the game and about their creations. 

EDIT: You should include Toshiaki Takayama somewhere there. That artist is godly.

Finished listing most my Pixiv artists that are suitable for cards, so I'm done now.

Anyway, what sort of theme/story would everyone be interested in for the booster?

Because I know most of the time, you guys don't really have an idea, so here I'll list some. Please contribute your own additional ideas as well.

- the birth of a new world

- the world being destroyed so that it will be reborn anew.

- the rising of some demonic god/clan/group

- the advent of a fated day/eclipse

Themes for booster:

-Machine takeover: we'd have kickass robots, cyborgs, and resistance factions composed of animals. I have a good archetype for this one.
-Stars and outer space: we'd have a lot of synchros and Xyz, we'd make support for Aliens and Spaceships, and maybe even Neo-Spacians.
-Volcanos and fire: we'd make support for the underloved Pyro-Type and otherwise branch off. I have a good archetype for this one.
-Beasts and all the forest: We'd make support for Beasts, WBs, Plants, and EARTH.

I imagine a duel terminal approach would be the most likely, a world of 6 attributes.

-Endangered World

Alternatively, I loved the MTG Set containing the Shards of Alara. Basically, that set had 5 Shards, each contained 3 Colors. Also, there was Ravnica, the mega city with each color combination (each combination had a Clan, like Blue/White=Azorius, Red/White=Boros, etc).

We could make our own, each "Shard"/"Clan" equivalents. There would be 16 clans (I believe, if my 5 second math was correct), or Shards, where we could come up with Triple Attribute interaction.

The above would have

-Conflicting Shards/Clans

As for other ideas,

-A world consisting of planes of sorts, as depicted on "Dragoncarnation". Dragoncarnation.png

A land for WATER, FIRE, EARTH, and WIND. I have a competitive FIRE Archetype drafted that could partake in this (The FIRE Dragon-Type "Raiyz", a play on the word "Raze", to destroy, and combining it with Xyz.)

Out of y'alls ideas, I don't mind supporting the under supported Pyro, and doing a Forest centric Booster would be fine as well. I am against Machine takeover. As for Aix, two relate to DT in the way of destruction of the world/rebuilding of which, so it wouldn't be too hard to do. As for fated day, I'd have to hear an approach to that in card making to know exactly what you were aiming for.

What I think we should do is combine Therri's second idea with Axi's first idea: The beginning of a new world in which elemental planes exist.

Cuz it is our first booster set after all. It should be about the beginning.

We could start off with a Fated Day approaches, allowing us a more powerful starting stance where we can make cards from different time periods from the get-go. This'll then allow us to make some super junked up end game bosses pretty quickly too. I feel like Fated Day with different clans would be awesome.

I could side with the above. (@Sora)

For example, there could be a archetype for each plane, then there are places in the world where planes collide (since no world is perfect), making an area that has influences from multiple elements, and having random singles that come from that. An adapted species, in a way, that has no real part in the wars between the 4 planes.

Since there are these mixed areas, the plane's archetypes are always warring or at the very least have very high tensions between eachother due to wanting that land for their attribute. Since, come on, no Attribute wants to show weakness.

The above would also pave the way for making better remakes of Desert Twister/ Frost and Flame Dragon.

Are we making a MTG Set approach where there is a set, then another set, then a wrap up set? Or just a single set with what story we develop?

Archived