[Sakura Contest Series 3] Zodiac Contest (Judging Finished / Awards Phase)

Right on the tail of the last one, here's the 3rd contest within the series.

(Note: This is not actually going to be a full-fledged one, but it keeps track of how many that have been done)

With that said, let's get down to business, shall we?

You all know that each year in the calendar is defined by a specific animal within the Asian zodiac, repeating in a 12-year cycle.

Well, for this contest, this is what the focus will be on.

Requirements

Create a monster card that embodies ANY of the 12 animals listed in that zodiac. It doesn't matter if you make a Synchro/Fusion/Xyz/Effect/Ritual/Vanilla, just has to be related to whatever animal you decide to base a card off of.

You are allowed to make it support Archetypes if you so choose to.

(Note: As the intro stated, we're using the Asiatic zodiac [Rooster, Dog, Dragon, Horse, Rabbit, etc.] Do not get confused with the Western constellation one.)

Deadline

April 5, 2014 @ 11:00 pm Hawaii Standard Time (GMT -10)

If you need help determining what time it'll be in your area when deadline hits, use this converter. (Select USA - Hawaii - Honolulu in the "convert to" area)

[spoiler=Rules]

1. Card must be about any of the 12 animals within the Asian zodiac. Anything else gets rejected.

2. Entries must be your own. If you are caught using someone else's entry, you'll be DQed. (If your card is being used w/out permission, please PM me with proof)

3. Members are allowed to base a card off of the same animal if they wish.

4. Post your card lore underneath the card. It makes it easier for the judges & myself to read the effects, correct OCG and show any such corrections if you request us to do so. (Just copy/paste the card lore from the generator, and you will not need to manually type it a second time).

5. Make sure your card has a picture. I don't have anything against Written Cards, but keep in mind that other judges may grade on pic.

6. Check that all standard English spelling/grammar errors are correct and the effect/stats are what you intended to show us. (If you need to fix OCG or your spelling, do it before deadline because you will get point deduction if there are any)

7. Entries are preferred new, but older ones may be used. Just keep in mind that you won't get better if you use same thing every time.

8. Use card types, Attributes, ATK/DEF that exist in the actual TCG/OCG. Fake Types/Attributes are not allowed. All animals in zodiac should be able to fit under any of the 23 current legal Types). If you make a Ritual Monster, you are required to post its corresponding Ritual Spell.

As of 3/22/2014: You are allowed to use Genryuu since it's now a confirmed Type.

9. No Pendulum monsters. Since they're relatively new and data still needs to be confirmed, let's keep to things we already know until that time, okay?

10. If you want to do a card about the animal that your birth year falls under, feel free to do it. You can do something else if you'd like; your choice.

11. If you make cards outside of the YCM generator (Yugico, MSE, self template, w/e), make sure that you are able to link to them on the front page.

(It's advisable you make the card here since it's easier to post your card).

12. Have fun. [/spoiler]

Entry Fee

Like the last two, entry is free. Just say that you want in.

Prizes

1st place - 3 reps + Champion logo (1st)

2nd place - 2 reps + Runner-up logo (2nd)

3rd place - 1 rep + 3rd place logo

4th place - 4th place logo

In the event of a tie between two members in a prizing rank, both of you will get the logo/reps. If there are 3+ members that share a score in such an event, a sudden death match will be run to decide an absolute winner.

[spoiler=Participants]

1. - Aqua - (Dragon/Horse; technically Kirin/Qilin)

2. Rocket Man (Snake)

3. Dyson Sphere (Ox)

4. afunworm (Snake)

5. Agro (Dragon)

6. Doc Stein [Teddie] (Pig)

7. OpticalGalaxyStar (Rat)

8. Blue Amoonguss (Pig) 

9. chiagirl (Dog)

10. EPTinYugi (Pig)

11. Frozen_Heart (Tiger)

12. Shut Up Thar (Monkey)

13. ButtletTheSlayer (Rooster)

14. Hikari-chan (Horse)

15. TwistedFlameApe (Monkey)

16. WolfFan16 (Sheep)

17. Orlannis (Monkey)

18. Fraxure (Tiger/Snake)

19. josholche (Rabbit)

20. InsaneRoyalty (Sheep)

21. NerdBoy (Snake)

22. LeoVeracruse

23. Zanbaku (Dragon)

24. Akiyuri (Dog)

25. RampageXWolf (Dog)

26. ToxicSandstorm (Monkey)

27. willow12 (Sheep)

28. Shamrock_Frost (Rabbit)

29. And_Then_There_were_None [LilHarp] (Rat)

30. Raviel the Phantom (Snake)

31. - Shin - (Dog)

32. Kirito-san (Tiger)

If I got your entry, it'll be underlined (and your chosen animal in parentheses).[/spoiler]

Judges

1. Sakura

2. Ain

3. Scary Face

To ensure that winners are decided fairly, I'm requesting the help of 1-2 members to assist in judging. If you are interested, just reply below and with your appropriate grading scale (or link to a past contest you've graded). [Judges have already been selected]

I know how some members grade cards at this point, but note your grading scale for our benefit.

(Knowing your criteria will help if any of the judge's scores will be scaled due to a disparity in total points from each)

Grading Scale

For convenience reasons, each of our grading criteria will be listed here.

Sakura's grading (30)

Balance (10) - Are the effects overpowering? Will this card get banned if it were ever released?

Creativity (10) - Does this card accurately depict the animal you have chosen? Did you make something that hasn't been seen before or something that's been overdone?

OCG (10) - Is your OCG in line with the new PSCT stuff. Because Konami is inconsistent with their OCG as of late, I'll be a bit lax on grading this. However, you will be judged on spelling and grammar usage. [I will deduct 1/2 a point for every error, so be warned]

Scary's grading (30)

Balance (10)

OCG (10)

Creativity (5)

Picture (5)

Ain's grading (30)

Balance and Usability (15)

Creativity and Card Design (15)

Misc (OCG and others): (Won't matter much, but this serves as a point deductor if the OCG's strayed far enough from the PSCT, or if there's some technical issues regarding the card's realistic-ness).

Combined Total: 90

Quick Links

Combined cards = Post #115

Scary's scores = Post #134

Sakura's scores = Post #135

[spoiler=Sample Prizes]

Please note that the prizes for this contest will not look exactly like these (I will edit their themes accordingly), but otherwise this is a general idea of what you can look forward to winning, if your card makes it through. (From the last event; if you didn't pick up your award; here they are again)

29w1ez8.jpg

10s6pmw.jpg

148lx92.jpg

A fourth place award isn't available for show [since there wasn't a need for one until now], but it will be very similar to what's shown here.[/spoiler]

If you have any questions/concerns, feel free to ask for clarification. I'd like for this contest to run with a minimum of confusion, so if something is confusing, please speak up.

Until then, have fun cardmaking.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can use your own grading system if you want; just that I'll probably scale it up like I did last time. (Yours was out of 10, so tripled it)

But yeah, it'll make it easier on us to grade everything if linked to, instead of scouring pages for them.

I may extend the deadline a week from what I noted on the main post. Usually I allow a little over a month from the time I post this, so I can deal with academia, life and other stuff (and for everyone else).

I can predicted more than half of the entries will be Dragon cards, anyway I'll join

They can make a Dragon card, but their creativity grade's going to take a hit from other judges (b/c we have A LOT of Dragons).

We'll see what people come up with though.

You can still make another dragon if you want (though there's a ton of them already, but you're free to make whatever animal you'd like). Just remember that the usual stuff is getting graded (not docking points b/c you made another card for a Type with a lot of support)

[spoiler='Don't worry guys, I got this.']

O8lQPJQ.jpg

[/spoiler]

Totes gonna win with this.

Oh, Sakura-san, here's my grading system that I'll hopefully stick with.

Balance and Usability: (15 Points)

Creativity and Card Design: (15 points)

Misc (OCG and others): (Won't matter much, but this serves as a point deductor if the OCG's strayed far enough from the PCST, or if there's some technical issues regarding the card's realisticness).

Archived