Card Contests Improvement Thread

How about we give a guide as to how much percentage of the total score each category can be, that all contests must follow? Something like:

30-40% Card Design
25-35% Balance
15-35% Flavour (rather large margin here since it depends a lot on the individual contest)
5-15% OCG
0-10% Other

The specific percentages can be adjusted to what mods/members think is best, but you get the picture.

Also, I remember there once being a minimum post count limit for a person to judge a contest. While I don't think that is a good idea at all since post count =/= knowing what you're doing, some kind of restriction as to who makes a contest should be implemented.

I think you hit the nail on the head for potential ranges for the rubric. This should give the flexibility people need while maintaining a standard. As for a restriction, that's going to be tricky since we want quality yet we don't want to be elitists and shun new members. Maybe we could have a restriction where they can't host but can judge for a specific period of time to prove themselves. Just a thought.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So like, make it a sticky in the section, have anyone that want to make a contest to answer it first (and someone that started a contest before ever doing that before will have their contest locked immediately), and if they're right, they can proceed? If so, you'll need some regulations on it ofc, and most importantly, it needs to be updated constantly, unless you want some silly things to happen.

Why don't we create a test to prove their competence? Make them decide between 3 cards or something, which is best and explain their reasoning.

That could work. The cards should be changed on a regular basis though to prevent any answer leaks or something along those lines as Ain mentioned. And I assume we are all in agreement with the scoring ranges Saber developed? I mean, it looks alright to me and I see myself using that. Though, I still want some transparency with how the judging took place. Maybe a brief explanation with the scores and a more detailed one ready by PM request? It'd save the arguing in the threads themselves. Just my thoughts.

In terms of the mod sponsorship, we could have another a second harder test along with the first to show that you're worthy of it or something. If we in any way do mod sponsorship, how many points do you guys think would be a good idea for a mod to donate to the pot?

In terms of the mod sponsorship, we could have another a second harder test along with the first to show that you're worthy of it or something. If we in any way do mod sponsorship, how many points do you guys think would be a good idea for a mod to donate to the pot?

Whatever the Pot is, the mod Team should Double it up to a maximum of 2000 extra Points. This will avoid people hosting high stakes just for the bonus.

Also, those contests can't have their hosts pocket some of the points. That'd seriously defeat the purpose. And yes, some contests are for-profit.

Considering that people host contests and judge them, its only fair they get a few points for their troubles. I suggest a maximum of 10% of the Pot goes to the host (BEFORE Mod increases) and the rest goes to the contestants.

Considering that people host contests and judge them, its only fair they get a few points for their troubles. I suggest a maximum of 10% of the Pot goes to the host (BEFORE Mod increases) and the rest goes to the contestants.

Having a limit does seem more fair. Maybe a maximum of 15% with the cut depending on the pot size?

As Toyo mentioned, 1000 points should be enough to get people interested.

If they do contribute, they should give the points to the contestants and not keep any for themselves. (I agree with J-Max's idea about the original pot; host should get some points for hosting, but definitely not more than 10-15%)

I remember one contest which the host would've kept half of the pot, which is flat-out bad.

Another idea would be to do something similar to what Aix did in RPs (I don't know if he's doing it anymore, given I don't go in there), but then people will simple join for the heck of it and no guarantees the quality will be good.

High stakes contests have always been popular. Even though points are essentially useless on YCM, they are still a valuable incentive for card contests. And honestly, I see no problem with certain contests having the pot doubled by Mods; however, it'd have to be a special kind of contest.

I don't mind the high stakes contests if they're hosted by an experienced member who can be trusted. If it's something prestigious like another Leaderboard-style tournament or YCM Championship or something, that would possibly qualify for pot doubling. Otherwise, it's better off running on whatever the host gets from entry fees and/or self contributions IMO.

Well my suggestion in terms of the host keeping points should be as follows. Stay with me here as this is a draft....

500 Points or less (Host get s a Max of 100)

501-1000 (Host gets a max of 150)

1000-2000 (Host gets a max of 200)

2000-5000 (Host gets a max of 300)

5000+ (Host gets a flat rate of 5% of the Pot)

As you can see, the Percentage goes down every Tier but the very last one (Which would be Mod Endorsed and co-hosted by) the Host gets a nice generous cut of the takings.

Smaller Contests are up to 20% but hopefully with the higher Points tiers, these will encourage hosts to up the stakes thus creativitiy.

I'm concerned about hosts keeping the pots low on purpose TBH.

True but there is a good chance they will only ever see fellow newbies due to the Low Value of the contest. But yeah, I do agree that there should be some sort of Test for each member who wishes to host (Eve the Vets), they can send the Mods a Draft of what they want to host and if said Mod was happy with it then they can host. This would require dedication from the Mod Team to succeed though and crack down on members hosting without permission.

Or we could just keep it the same as always and the Host can only Pocket any Donations added to the Pot.

Archived