Card Contests Improvement Thread

Probably better stickied and locked here, actually, for ease of access, and have an explanation of the rules included, but yes.

Yes, it should be stickied, but not locked.

Also, If you host a contest you can keep some points? Because since the pot for my last contest (cannot be normal summoned/set) was uneven and hard to divide, I had to donate extra points

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As mentioned earlier in the thread, you can keep some of the points but make sure you don't keep more than 5-10% of it.

If the number comes out uneven, then just divide the pot into a number that can be nicely distributed into the allocations for prizes.

It might help if you make the entry fees in any of your contests some amount that can be nicely distributed into the prizes, without having to donate extra or withhold more points than you absolutely need.

EDIT: As requested earlier on, this is getting stickied. 

• 3 weeks later...

May I suggest a Total Time limit for Contests? Does seems a bit annoying putting my entry in, in plenty of time and then finding out that I will not know the results of a Contest for like 6-8 weeks. 2 -3 Weeks should be more then enough.

As a guideline, the next Contest I am doing will have a time limit of 2 Weeks.

I approve of most of what is suggested here. Pictures not winning it all is a good idea since unless you can draw like a professional you'll have to make due with what's on the internet.

My only issue, and this would be more of a suggestion for judges then a hard rule, is that if the card is fully understandable, is it really worth it to dock someone for something ascetic (sp?) like capitalization on the OCG grade? (eg 'end phase' instead of "End Phase"). In my opinion, OCG grades should be about understanding how the card works and using problem solving card text standards when they are easily found.

Another idea I had while typing that is that if a a contest warrants long potentially confusing effects there could be a chance for judges to clarify what the wordings mean before giving a grade, possibly clarifying via PM since confusing effects do happen sometimes.

[spoiler="this is what I mean by long and confusing'']If this card is normal summoned: you can pay 1000 life points and discard up to 1 card, then reveal 1 "Secret-Alliance" monster in your hand or shuffle 1 "Secret-Alliance" monster from your graveyard into the deck; special summon 1 "Gem-Knight" or "Vylon" monster from your extra deck whose level is less then or equal to 6 + the number of discarded cards x 6, ignoring its summoning conditions. During your Main Phase: you can shuffle this card from your graveyard into the deck to target 1 face-up "Gem-Knight" or "Vylon" monster you control; that target gains 800 ATK during this turn and if it attacks a defense position monster this turn, inflict piercing battle damage to your opponent. You can only use 1 "Secret-Alliance - Trident Knight" effect per turn, and only once that turn.[/spoiler]

Been a while since I'm here, but there's something that I need to point out.

Maximum attendance on a contest. If we're going to have a better judging system, contests with 20++ contestants won't help improve the judging quality. Most of the cases in these contests made the judges resort to less detailed reviews, and really, judging that much entries has the possibility to tire the judge enough to make their judgment less accurate.

I don't know if this had already been mentioned, but yeah, I want to bring this to attention.

I'd say 3-4 judges is optimal for regular contests; it allows for a diverse range of opinions since everyone uses a different set of criteria to grade on; though 2 is fine if it's a small contest.

Agreed with Striker though; larger contests should have a preliminary round in 1v1 to lower the entrants down; but that takes time to do and sometimes ends up pushing the contest's duration longer than people would like. Or judges could simply grade them as they come in [though some of us are busy with real life matters so having time to pre-grade them doesn't come, especially if some people change their entries (which is usually looked down on)]. Granted though, some contestants don't really check back on a regular basis; they just submit cards and expect to at least place.

Archived