A Look Into YCM's History - A Request of Sorts

goddamnit names are a pain

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Showcase was shit, Showcase is shit. It was never that great, maybe like 2 years ago was kind of a high point. Just different roster of shitters between multiple generations.

And there were like a million shitty forums made for Showcase, none of which worked out. Like, seriously, we're people who fuck around in PS/Gimp on a children's card game forum, we're not that pro.

Still doesn't stop us from being the best section on YCM :Kappa:

Ali is. And you would be too if you cared enough.

"If you cared enough" argument is worse than the idea of being able to do anything. It is impossible to care enough to make yourself to become pro. There is more to it than that. Caring is only part of the factor. I am sorry, but that statement is worse than horse radish.

"If you cared enough" argument is worse than the idea of being able to do anything. It is impossible to care enough to make yourself to become pro. There is more to it than that. Caring is only part of the factor. I am sorry, but that statement is worse than horse radish.

Well no kidding. Its the implication that it comes with serious effort and years of dedication. You know; "caring enough".

Well no kidding. Its the implication that it comes with serious effort and years of dedication. You know; "caring enough".

You still don't seem to get this gist of what I said. "Caring enough" isn't enough. Effort and dedication are a part of it, but that is the caring part. Caring is the definition of all of that, but it is also the ability, grouping mechanism, understanding, and depth to the entire thing. Being "pro" at something isn't just done through serious effort and years of dedication. It is done by putting yourself in a position or being put into a position of pushing your limits everyday and beyond that. You don't have to care entirely about it at all if you are forced into the position. The entire idea of "going pro" is more about how you are surrounded and by every outside influence with yourself as the driving force. Surely, the is an ounce of caring, but that is only a part in the grand equation of being able to aspire to new heights. There is just more to it than caring, and you are looking at a singular theme to what it means to work for something. A person has limits and they cannot do everything on their own. Outside influences add more to the entire thing than "caring enough" ever will.

I don't... what. That sounds exactly like "caring enough" to me.

Caring enough is a major factor in being able to aspire to something more than what you are, but the driving forces that push you to care are what get you there. What I am trying to say is that you can't just make yourself care and that people have limits to "caring enough". Just saying that you would get better if you cared more is what I thought was idiotic. A person can't just care about something in the efforts of becoming "pro" or being better than they are. Motivation isn't caring. People pushing you isn't you caring. You have to make yourself work for it, but you need people to push you and you need the motivation to do it. You literally said "And you would be too if you cared enough," which is nothing to help him to become better. How should he care and why should he care? What are you doing to help him get better? All of these outside influences are what spark an interest and what get people to care, but he can't just "care enough."

The way you were looking at it was all about Madsen's energy for it. Showcase is literally just a bunch of guys just messing around with Photoshop/Gimp. We work on our projects and do stuff, but we don't work together to become better. We have no influence other than wanting to do it for the hell of it. The group mechanism of showcase is the object that stops us from wanting to do more and "go pro", which is why we don't care enough.I am just trying to state that you cannot just say "if you cared enough". You have to make people care because they aren't going to do it on their own. A person isn't driven just by himself. It is an involvement of others, as well. The idea of influence and motivation are what get people to care. Caring enough is the idea, but it is how you get to the point of where you care enough, which is why I think what you said was completely idiotic.

Not idiotic, oversimplifying or implying more than elements I was unaware of. I "care enough", and thats why I am able to analyze, critique - tone be damned I need to work on that, adjust for learning curves, etc a wide variety of art styles and purpose. Not to mention having a huge array of experience in a wide variety of mediums. Be it 3d, Pixel Art, Clay, Claymation, Wood Carving, freaking Bouquet Making, Photoshop and GIMP, etc... currently learning to sew to add that to my skillset and regular use.

Forgive me if I undersold or oversold the phrase "caring enough". But I seriously thought all that was the baseline. Evidently its not and I am sorry.

Not idiotic, oversimplifying or implying more than elements I was unaware of. I "care enough", and thats why I am able to analyze, critique - tone be damned I need to work on that, adjust for learning curves, etc a wide variety of art styles and purpose. Not to mention having a huge array of experience in a wide variety of mediums. Be it 3d, Pixel Art, Clay, Claymation, Wood Carving, freaking Bouquet Making, Photoshop and GIMP, etc... currently learning to sew to add that to my skillset and regular use.

Forgive me if I undersold or oversold the phrase "caring enough". But I seriously thought all that was the baseline. Evidently its not and I am sorry.

Sorry for using the word idiotic. Implying would be the right word for it, since there is much left out. I care enough about a lot of things, but I wouldn't be where I am with most of the things I have accomplished in my life if I didn't have people behind me, putting to where I am now. In terms of art; The teachers who have taught me and the information they have given me helped me to have experience with art and different art mediums. Sewing is a handy tool, since I made most of my outfits for dance and I can fix a lot of things like a thread caught off and ripped from the seams.

We both had faults in our argument, and it isn't anything to apologize for. You don't have to apologize for information not properly received in terms of what you meant.

YCMaker had no part in my promotion. James wanted some stress taken away and I was the best qualified at the time. I always saw moderation not as me moderating CC, but doing a favor to a friend. That's why I always had a casual approach to moderation except when the proverbial crap hit the fan... and sadly back then it hit the fan a lot. Sure I had a huge personality to me, but that's who I am. You want the more logical run down reason then you come to me directly; I always offered it in silence and some folks (Koko, Black, etc) got it.

And I'm still by large against detailing it away from the team. Strictly my peers. CC is a very different beast than the rest of the forum. Input only goes so far before experience is required.

I guess I should be more specific. It wasn't the part where I was the CC mod that annoyed me. It was during my time as a Super Mod. Pretty much being the only one that was up past 2 AM and having to mod the entire site myself got annoying over time.

Hell, it really wasn't even YCMaker that did the promotion. It was Falling Pizza, which has hilariously fallen in to an even deeper coma than YCMaker. I remember talking on AIM to both of them. Pizza was kind of funny, actually lol

Anyway, you're right. It's always been like that. God Kaze and God GAK basically taught me the basics and some tricks, but it was still on me to learn over time what to and what not to do. Much like how you started off. I'm not really sure who it was that really mentored you early on, but I know that I did play a hand with James. Question is, who did James mentor? Ya know, keep the cycle going and all xD

Me? I was put into CC on my own. I originally was just Pop Culture but decided I wanted to Mod the whole thing (remember me and my PSP? haha) I never really mentored anyone as such and begged Pizza for backup as I had one of the busiest sections all to myself. So Josh and WIll were assigned as my Backups. I like to think as my time as a Mod of the time of peace so to speak. I rarely Banned people and I know that quite a few people respected me for my stance on things (Even if I felt my ass was being kissed at times lol)

As for Mentor? Just me being a Mod I think inspired the next generation to be more calm.

Scott.

And James, I really think you were the one who "kissed ass", not the other way around.

Did I beg for the Mod Position? No. Yes I did kiss ass a bit in getting back onto YCM after my deserved Ban but yeah... Its in the past now.

EDIT: Just to clarify, I didn't mean you begged for it :P That first past came out a bit wrong.

The rivalry with Summa Crossroads.

That's not a thing. SXR is and always has been a different site with different goals. There were a group of people I wanted to jump ship from YCM, sure, but only because YCM was how we all communicated with each other by sake of convenience. When I got banned there was not really any reason for us to stay - so we floated around various sites and many settled at SXR. I have no interest in "competing" with this site - for so many reasons. Not the least of which being entirely different target demographics of users.

But I digress.

What ever happened to Osiris?

One thing came up as I read over a reply by Black. Is that why I stood against an Advanced Clause for Custom Cards and what caused me to cave, and no it wasn't my imminent leaving a few months later.

For the longest time I stood against the mere idea, because it would force people namely newbies to add more to their posts as they came back to the game. This in turn would show their ineptitude and goad them into acting defensive, causing senior members to react negatively. And this is all without someone like Homoignorusmuch blatantly saying they dont want to improve. Quality wasnt the name of the game, that came with time. It did for all of us. I knew something was necessary for eons but implementation in a way that satisfied all user expectations wasn't exactly brainstormed very well. Not the least of which was due to my stubbornness.

Then one day with Ragnarok1945 making his posts, and slowing down. Koko and Black came to me about the issue again as they would do then. They are my friends, my consuls and people who know how I operate to get me to listen better than others. So we took the time and figured out the average word count of posts we considered even remotely quality, taking into account suggestibility, accuracy, personal statements and other factors that contributed to a post. Then we wrote up the most basic replies we as cardmakers would be willing to write, averaging those out. The number came up to about something like 50-70 words in total.

The math made it look like a lot but in all honesty that was the lower end of the data pool. More realistic numbers were around 150 words or more. And despite knowing people would see a problem, it was implemented anyway because the goal was to make people think about what they're replying even if subconsciously. The middle end being the real guestimate, as I'm sure we all know the few users who would skew the results. 

• 3 months later...

Archived