Planning Thread for Card Ideas

Flash Flyer - Sakura

I want to try and make a deck based around recycling effects by removing from play cards, and then sending those to the graveyard to activate effects. Any help?

So generally you want to recycle effects by banishing cards then sending them to the graveyard? I say go for it if you have any ideas of the cards you want.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

So I'm planning a digimon set. This is more of a conversion project. The standard is simple really. I'll explain the basic idea as follows for the levels.

Rookie: 1-4
Champion: 5-6
Ultimate: 7-9
Mega: 10-12

I'm trying to avoid any super broken conversions in this project. So any suggestions are welcome.

So I had this ridiculous idea of an archetype whose restrictions combine all the restrictions of all the big name archetypes and cards right now, which would be:
You Cannot Special Summon Monsters from the Extra Deck
You Cannot Special Summon Monsters, except "[Archetype Name]" monsters
If you control a Non-"[Archetypal Name]" Monster, destroy this card

I'm trying to find a way to put this all together, but for now I'm not quite sure. Any suggestions on any shenanigans I can work with to keep a functional Deck with all of said restrictions?

So I'm planning a digimon set. This is more of a conversion project. The standard is simple really. I'll explain the basic idea as follows for the levels.

Rookie: 1-4
Champion: 5-6
Ultimate: 7-9
Mega: 10-12

I'm trying to avoid any super broken conversions in this project. So any suggestions are welcome.

Hmmm.... Possibly revolving it somehow around the Xyz mechanic would work because you can just overlay the evolutions on top of the cards. Sakura took a similar route himself with his Pokemon Extra Deck monsters, so maybe getting a tip from him. You could PM me more info and maybe I could help sort out some of it, as I have wanted to try such a set before

TBH, I only used the Xyz mechanic for stuff that has a Mega Evolution (save for legendaries, which go into Accel Synchros instead); but RUMs are involved, yes.

@Horu: For the Digimon thing, you can do something similar to what I did already (although I only have a scale for legendaries; normal stuff is a bit iffy).

Your scale looks fine, and can probably build on it.

Whether or not you want to do Synchro / Fusion stuff is up to you; keep in mind that I've been out of Digimon for a very long time, so can't say if things will fit thematically.

@above: Personally, I don't think it's really beneficial for you to put all of the restrictions on one card; unless of course, your cards have extremely powerful effects to warrant such a thing.

Two of them, you can probably get away with, without hurting yourself.

Then again, you can go a Monarch/Yosenju-esque route with things, so you don't have to touch the Extra Deck and get your bosses out within reasonable time.

TBH, I only used the Xyz mechanic for stuff that has a Mega Evolution (save for legendaries, which go into Accel Synchros instead); but RUMs are involved, yes.

@Horu: For the Digimon thing, you can do something similar to what I did already (although I only have a scale for legendaries; normal stuff is a bit iffy).

Your scale looks fine, and can probably build on it.

Whether or not you want to do Synchro / Fusion stuff is up to you; keep in mind that I've been out of Digimon for a very long time, so can't say if things will fit thematically.

@above: Personally, I don't think it's really beneficial for you to put all of the restrictions on one card; unless of course, your cards have extremely powerful effects to warrant such a thing.

Two of them, you can probably get away with, without hurting yourself.

Then again, you can go a Monarch/Yosenju-esque route with things, so you don't have to touch the Extra Deck and get your bosses out within reasonable time.

Yeah, the premise would be to have such restrictions to keep a "Pure" Deck, while sticking to a typing with that gets an excessive amount of support, and was thinking about that instead of sticking to an archetype. I was thinking DARK Dragon since that gives REDMD and DAD, allowing you to stick to Main Deck beating, and with some type of banishing mechanic, that would also open up for Escape for the Dark Dimension. Level 4, 7, and 8 would all seem ideal, the latter 2 opening up for draw power.

• 2 weeks later...

1st:

http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/330252-electronisokeraunic-15/#entry6580862

The main theme of this deck to to activate card effects based off of your opponent drawing outside their normal draw phase. I realized that this could be an immediate counter/boon to Exodia decks. I wanted to know if there was anything I could do to make this better and/or counter Nekroz & Qlis.

2nd:

I want to build my own version of a RUM archetype that isn't Utopia-based or maybe the antithesis to it. It's main purpose to rank-up constantly, allowing access to more ATK and better effects. It's main effect should be limiting Special Summons from the hand or graveyard

Number 35: Lord Ruler

Rank 4

DARK

ATK 2700/DEF 1800

Warrior/Effect

2 Level 4 Monsters

If your opponent Special Summons a monster from the hand or Graveyard: Detach 1 Xyz Material, negate that summon, and if you do, both players gain 800 Life Points.

Number C35: Lord Ruler Astute

Rank 4

DARK

ATK 2700/DEF 1800

Warrior/Effect

3 Level 4 DARK Monsters

You can also Xyz Summon this card by using a "Number 35: Lord Ruler" you control as the Xyz Material. (Xyz Materials attached to that monster also become Xyz Materials on this card.) While you have 3000 or less Life Points: When a monster is Special Summoned from the hand or Graveyard, detach 1 Xyz Material from this card, banish the Special Summoned monster and both players can either gain 800 Life Points or draw 1 card.

• 4 weeks later...

I want to make a set of cards based on the anime "Nichijou: My ordinary Life". This is a slice of life anime with a bunch of characters connected to each other in various ways. It's notable for being very strange and spontaneous; episodes are just a collection of unrelated stories. I had an idea for a set that disrupts your opponent's strategies. Some of these ideas are based on actual cards, some would be more likely to cause your opponent to quit out of frustration. Since this is my first time making cards on the site, I wanted to post a few example cards to see what people think. 

Xyz monster- "Mai the Trickster"

Warrior-Type/EARTH

Rank 4

2 Level 4 Monsters

You can detach 1 Xyz material monster to activate one of the following effects:

·         Target one monster your opponent controls. Return that target to their hand.

·         Target one face-down spell or trap card your opponent controls. Add that target to your hand.

1500/1900

I may change the stats. I know at least one of these effects would be useful, and being an Xyz monster limits the use of the effects. I included a stipulation for if your opponent negates the effect, back when I thought this monster would be an effect monster, but I forgot it. I don't know if you can negate Xyz effects anyway.

Spell card-Mai's Absolutely Baffling Prank

Banish all monsters on the field, and in both players' decks and graveyards. Then, on your third turn after activating this effect, return all monsters that were originally on the field to their respective controller's field. Shuffle all other monster cards into the respective player's decks. 

I don't know if this card would have any kind of use, forcing the players to play without monsters. I also want to include a stipulation for if a player runs out of cards while this card is in play. For example "if either player is unable to draw a card during their draw phase, they don't lose the duel. Instead, that player takes one random card from their graveyard. 

Continuous Spell Card-"Mai's Mischief"

Trade decks with your opponent, and continue play as normal.

This card forces the players to to play with each other's decks. I want to make sure the OCG is as clear as possible. I'm not sure what to do if there was a huge difference in the amount of remaining cards, though I guess you could use that to your advantage if you've run out of a lot of cards for some reason. You could use it in tournaments if you knew what your opponent was playing, although I suspect this would get banned.

Trap Card-"Mai's Destructive Mischief"

If "Mai's Mischief" is destroyed by a card effect while under either player's control, cut each player's deck. Both players shuffle one half of their own deck with one half of their opponent's deck and continue the game.

There might be a better way to word this card. However, I doubt it would be used, since it's such a trolling effect.

The general idea of this set is a large variety of low level/ low powered monsters. However, the monsters will have effects based on disrupting your opponent's strategies, such as blocking effects, restricting certain moves like preventing draws outside the draw phase, looking at cards in the hand or deck, or banish monsters or shuffle the into the deck from the graveyard (a lot of decks take advantage of monsters in the graveyard), or even detaching Xyz material monsters from your opponent's Xyz monsters and negating their effects. There may be an element of randomness, such as the use of coin flips or dice rolls to determine outcomes. I'm trying to mix new ideas with existing effects that work in the game (these would all go in the Casual Cards section). Finally, there would be some stronger monsters (Ritual/Fusion/Synchro etc. to deal damage, and spells and traps to help get monsters on the field).

Lastly, I want to think of an archetype name for the monsters. "Nichijou" translates to "my ordinary life. I thought if shortening it to "Nichi" (like "Nichi-Mai the Trickster"). This sounds fine to me, since I'm not fluent in Japanese, but there might be a better name. 

Joseph, King Swordman of Fiber Vine
Level10
3210/1400
Warrior/ERATH/Ritual/EFfect
You can Ritual Summon this card with any "Vine" Ritual Spell Card. Must be Ritual Summoned without using "Joseph, King Swordman of Fiber Vine", and cannot be Special Summoned by other ways, you can activate each effect of "Joseph, King Swordman of Fiber Vine" once per turn:
● You can discard this card: Target 1 face-up your opponent controls; that target's effects are negated, until End Phase.
● You can banish 1 EARTH "Vine" monster from your Graveyard: Negate the effects of all your opponent's face-up monsters those are currently on the field (Monsters summoned after this card's activation are excluded)

So I've been thinking for some time and I finally got around to making this cool new Structure for rising Light, Dark, or Chaos duelists.

Presenting "Chess Piece Revolution" 

Monsters are based of pieces and Mythological beings of good(white) or evil(black)

Field spells are based off of black and white kingdoms or just the standard "chessboard"

Spells and Traps are based off of chess trick plays and openings.

and ive even got an idea for a fusion for the black and white armies.

"In a world divided between Darkness and Light, two warring factions battle for control. only the masters of Light and Dark can decide its fate.do you have what it takes to defend the Light" 

"In a world divided between Darkness and Light, two warring factions battle for control. only the masters of Light and Dark can decide its fate.do you have what it takes to raise the Shadows"

• 2 weeks later...

I have an idea for a Musketeer archetype, based around effects that shuffle cards back into your opponent's deck. The idea mainly came from Castel, who is my second favorite xyz next to Number 101. I already have one card called "Musketeer Sharpshooter". The effect is like Gravekeeper's Descendant's, except it shuffles a card into the deck instead of destroying it. The archetype will be made up of level 4 wind warrior monsters with attacks less than 2000. The problem is I can't seem to come up with the effects for other monsters. I was thinking of one that returns everything to hand if attacked, but I don't know how to balance it. In short, I don't know whether to take it like Gravekeeper's (slow but effective) or something a little faster.

For starters, what are the base stats that you have in mind for this monster (the one that returns everything)?
Of course, monsters with that sort of effect should generally have lower stats to compensate for it.

I was thinking that it would be a level 2 with 0 attack and defense. I was considering making it return every monster on the field to hand when destroyed by battle.

I was thinking that it would be a level 2 with 0 attack and defense. I was considering making it return every monster on the field to hand when destroyed by battle.

I decided to borrow a little from Gravekeeper's for Musketeers. I created a field spell called "Forte De Francis".

effect:

All "Musketeer" monsters gain 500 attack and defense. If an effect would add a card to either player's hand from their deck, negate it.

The Musketeers then have cards that let them add cards from the deck to hand that
cannot be negated by Forte De Francis.

I can tell you with certainty that the Field Spell on its own basically shuts down a lot of Decks that rely on searchers.

A list of stuff includes:

• Nekroz (yeah, they search like crazy)
  • HEROs (well, with RoTA and Emergency Call; Stratos on the OCG end)
  • U.A. (Stadium, although they have other things)
  • D/D's (see Dark Gate and Kepler)

There are more, but yeah it's a powerful effect (and can be classed as a floodgate of sorts, given what it does).

---

As for your monster, bouncing an entire field of monsters after being destroyed by battle is rather powerful.

But since it's still a smaller monster, I suppose it should be okay to use.

At the minimum, you can play mindgames with your opponent; if they're foolish enough to strike it, they lose their advantage once that card goes.

Hinata, Silent Horror LIGHT Girl of Gust Vine
Level 10
Spellcaster/WIND/Contact Fusion/Effect
3010/1500
"Hinata, Queen of Gust Vine" + 2 or more WIND monster
Must send above Fusion Materials to the Graveyard from your side of the field (you do not use polymerization), you can only control 1 "Hinata, Silent Horror LIGHT Girl of Gust Vine" on the field, When this Card is Fusion Summoned, it is unaffected by monsters those do not have Levels, once per turn, you can Discard 1 WIND monster from your hand: Target 1 Xyz, Ritual, or Evolute monster your opponent controls: Equip that target to this card,This card gains ATK equal to those equipped monsters' combined ATK.

All right
Let's see, i was thinking of making an archetype of the following:
Still thinking of a name...
It's a Dark Synchro and (a custom type i made) with different Monster types, their main focus is to disturb the opponent when they are banished from play by card effects; (eg, discard cards from their hand, prevent Special Summoning from hand,Killing hands....) meanwhile, they swarm the field

Not gonna steal your creative liberty to think of a name but i would suggest "Band Bandits". This was my acknowledging the banish gimmick along with the rude combos you can throw down. And to help with getting them banished. Have monsters that banish monsters from the hand, deck, or graveyard. Just so you know this is only a suggestion. And if you do not wish to use the name id love to use it for a similar but not identical archetype if you think its not hat youre looking for. ((But only if you dont want the name ^^))

• 2 weeks later...

Got an idea for a small archetype based around using the graveyard as you deck. Basically you excavate the top x cards and send all archetypal cards to the grave while returning the others to the bottom of the deck. Just trying to figure out wording and a name And I should be set.

Now ive been thinking and to me(an elemental hero duelist) there needed to be LITERAL elemental heroes.

I propose a new set based on the Periodic table of the elements.

Monsters will be based on  The current elements(yes there are alot but that adds much creativity to be involved((like the E.Heroes))) all one of three attributes: water,Wind, or Earth

Spells/Traps based on different sciences behind the Elements(alchemy/chemistry/biology/ETC...)

Fusions based on compounds and molecules made by the elements( and most likely given a sweet name)

Monster example:

H-Hydrogen

lvl:4 Wind Spellcaster/Effect

This card gains the following effects based on one of the two following conditions.

1: while this card is in attack position while "O-Oxygen" is on the field, this card can attack your opponent directly.

2: while this card is in defense position you may substitute this card for any fusion material for any fusion monster summoned with Valence Harmony.

ATK:1200 DEF:1000

Spell example:

Valence Harmony

Quick-play spell card

Send from your hand or your side of the field to special summon one Harmony Hero Fusion monster from your extra deck.

While this card is in your graveyard you may remove from play one Harmony Hero from your graveyard to add this card from your graveyard to your hand.

Trap example:

Elemental Entrapment

Normal trap card

When your opponent summons a monster with 1000 or more attack, Discard one wind, water, or earth type monster from your hand to your graveyard to negate the summoning and destroy the monster.

Fusion example:

Harmony Hero Dydrox

lvl:8 Water Warrior/Fusion/Effect

"H-Hydrogen"+"O-Oxygen"

This card can only be fusion summoned with the above materials by the effect of "Valence Harmony", and cannot be summoned by any other way.

This card cannot be destroyed by Battle except with an Earth or Fire type monster. when this Monster is sent to the graveyard return the fusion materials used to fusion summon this monster to the deck.

@above: I'd advise not designing an Archetype as large as HEROs; otherwise you run the chance of your set doing way too much. (I say this from experience, since I have a 40+ Dragon-related set in Advanced/DP, and yeah it does A LOT)

It also screws your chances of getting people to review your stuff.

At the most, 15-20 members should be the max. number of cards you design.

Got an idea for a small archetype based around using the graveyard as you deck. Basically you excavate the top x cards and send all archetypal cards to the grave while returning the others to the bottom of the deck. Just trying to figure out wording and a name And I should be set.

What sorts of monsters are going to be in here? Might help with deciding a name.

For OCG, I can probably help you in that regard.

"Once per turn: You can excavate the top (x) cards of your Deck; send all "(Archetype)" cards excavated by this effect to the Graveyard, also return other cards excavated by this effect to the bottom of the Deck."

I'm planning an Archetype called "Rubix". I plan on making it contain 6 members based around the colors of a rubik's cube. They will have all the Attributes and will be leveled from 1-6.

The gimmicks:
only 1 Rubix monster can exist on your side of the field at any one time.
Every monster is a tuner.
All of them can be Normal Summoned (even the level 5 & 6 ones).
and finally... When one is removed from the field, you roll the dice to determine another member to take its place. That will insure that you never lose field presence.

I haven't been able to think of good Spell/Trap support for 'em though.

I'm planning an Archetype called "Rubix". I plan on making it contain 6 members based around the colors of a rubik's cube. They will have all the Attributes and will be leveled from 1-6.
The gimmicks:
only 1 Rubix monster can exist on your side of the field at any one time.
Every monster is a tuner.
All of them can be Normal Summoned (even the level 5 & 6 ones).
and finally... When one is removed from the field, you roll the dice to determine another member to take its place. That will insure that you never lose field presence.
I haven't been able to think of good Spell/Trap support for 'em though.

How about a continuous spell that changes the roll artifically or a trap that summons a Rubix monster of a tributed monster that's 1 level higher?

I have an idea for a Ghost Rider deck. The focus of the deck is to establish field presence during the battle phase and inflicting burn damage. I have an idea for a field spell called "Hell's Highway".

Hell's Highway
field spell

During the Battle Phase, if a "Ghost Rider" monster is destroyed by battle: You can special summon 1 "Ghost Rider" from your hand, and if you do, inflict 500 damage to your opponent's life points. Once per turn: You can banish 1 "Ghost Rider" monster in your graveyard; Add 1 "Ghost Rider" monster from your deck to your hand."

Each individual Ghost Rider will be from a different era of history, such as a Roman, a kamikaze, a native, a Cossack(Russian cavalry), and others. You also can only control 1 Rider at a given time. The problem I'm having is figuring out what to do with the monster effects and coming up with some ideas for spell and trap cards(though I maybe can come up with those myself).

Archived