Planning Thread for Card Ideas

Flash Flyer - Sakura

I need help with an effect for Smaug from Lord of the Rings, I have a picture and stats and everything else, I just need an effect, here are some thoughts I had
In both the books and movie, Smaug only has one weakness, his underbelly so I'd like to try to work that in somehow, maybe a low DEF. He claims "He is fire. He is death." Which is where the dual attributes (FIRE & DARK) come in. I'd also like to have his drawback be something to do with the fact he gets entranced by gold (maybe that he can't attack Machines). As of now I have him as a Level 7 with 2700 ATK, I can change that if needed.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not a fan of LoTR, but thoughts on ideas so far.

1. Dual Attributes are fine for the most part, although you can get away with leaving him as a pure FIRE monster (and making him Fiend-Type to reflect the death aspect). Again, I don't know about Lord of the Rings, so cannot say if that would be accurate.

2. With regards to his "belly", you could have him switch to Defense Position after he attacks or something. The low DEF is up to you; point is generally moot given that most of the time, you will be in Attack Position unless opponent has a monster that you cannot beat at the moment. However, in this case, you can probably do something like that.

3. To reflect the "gold" part, not really sure what you can do here. The Machine one sounds good on paper, but there's probably a better thing you can do here (not really sure on what it should be).

Machines are technically shiny (not necessarily gold-colored), so probably works flavor-wise.

-----

At the most, just try to make the card fit the Attributes of Smaug while still keeping him viable for play.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm wanting to create a Law & Order deck. it revolves around synchro summoning. It has a field spell that prevents Law monsters from being destroyed by battle and a continuous trap called "Order in the Lawful Court" which prevents battle damage. They then have a set of cards called "lawful Plea-" which are for support. The main one is "Lawful Plea-Change of Venue" which sets and shuffles all Law monsters on the field when an attack is declared, like Magical Hats. The opponent then has to re declare the attack. If it was the same monster that was attacked when activated, that monster is destroyed and you lose life points equal to the attacking monster's attack. If not, your opponent's monster is shuffled back into the deck.

The problem is that I can't seem to think of what effects the monsters should have.

Flavor-wise, what kind of monsters are these monsters going to be? (Typing, how powerful are their aces, etc)

I suppose you can try giving them the ability to replace themselves, and the larger ones can be given effects that reflect what you see in courtroom dramas or something on the prosecution side (and defense).

• 4 weeks later...

So, I'm wanting to make a Spy archetype. Based off of GK Spy's effect, they are flip effect monsters that summon their members face-down from the deck. I'm considering two play styles for it.

1. Special Summoning tokens in your opponent's monster and s/t zone, like Goat Control.

2. Sabotage by stacking your opponent's deck.

They have a field spell that prevents them from being destroyed and sets them every now and again. The problem I'm having is preventing the field spell from being techable in Ghostricks and figuring out their play style.

What Type do you plan on having these monsters?

If you're worried about Ghostricks messing around with things, just specify the Type that these "Spy" monsters will be. 

(Although Ghostricks are mixed, so better that you make them anything but DARK-Attribute and specify that.)

----

Personally, I'd go for option 1.

So, I was given a prompt in the Create a Card Game, and came up with the following:

Shinigami Symphony Maestro Mortis

DARK - Level 7 - Fiend/Pendulum/Effect - 2100/3000 - Scale 8

Pendulum Effect: Once per turn, you can Pendulum Summon a Fiend-Type monster from your Banished Zone. If, during your Standby Phase, your other Pendulum Zone is unoccupied, you can Special Summon this monster in Defense Position.

Monster Effect: During each of your Draw Phases, banish 1 card at random from your Graveyard. If that card is a monster card, your opponent must banish cards from the top of their Deck face-down equal to the Level or Rank of the banished monster. If this monster would be destroyed, banish it instead.

It's been gnawing at my brain, and I was wondering how I could build an archetype with this as the starting point. I'm already thinking a Pendulum/Synchro direction that relies on a banish mill. Can I get help here?

I have an idea for "Element" Support, you probably know them, either DARK or LiGHT, level 4, 1500ATK, 1200DEF... 4 generic effects in various combinations...

but having serious trouble with defining the archetype frame. I cannot use simply "Element" naming to search and target, cause all the Elemental HERO and Elemental Lords would fall in this majority. I doubt "Element " would work well cause the space at the end might not be obvious enough...

What seems more appropriate when it comes to card grammar?: (examples): 

• Add 1 "Element " monster from your Deck or hand.
  • Add 1 "Element" monster from your Deck or hand (except an "Elemental" monster).
  • Add 1 non-"Elemental" "Element " monster from your Deck to your hand. (? seems very confusing).

I would go for the second one. It seems straightforward enough and doesn't get confusing with the space (even after pointing it out, I still got mixed up).

Alternatively, you could also designate their specific stats of which is only shared with Elemental HERO Ocean.

Good luck!

I'm wanting to create a Decepticon deck, since I find that the villains are more interesting than the heroes. I want to make them graveyard-based in reference to them rising from their previous defeat. The problem is that I can't seem to do it in a way that does not rip off Dark World and Shaddolls.

[spoiler=archetype cards so far]

Decepticon Leader Megatron

Level 8

Dark/Machine

ATK: 3200 Def: 2700

This card can only be Special Summoned by the effect of a "Decepticon" card. If this card is sent to the Graveyard: Add 1 "Decepticon" card in your Graveyard to Hand. Once per turn: You can discard 1 "Decepticon" monster and Special Summon 1 "Decepticon" monster in your Hand, except "Decepticon Leader Megatron". If this card is in your Graveyard, you can banish 1 "Decepticon" monster from your Graveyard and Special Summon this card(You can only summon "Decepticon Leader Megatron" this way once per turn).

Starscream Decepticon Mutineer

Level 5

Dark/Machine

ATK: 2100 def: 1700

If this card is sent to the Graveyard by the effect of a "Decepticon" card: Target 1 card your opponent controls and destroy it. Once per turn: You can tribute 1 other "Decepticon" monster you control and move 1 "Decepticon" card in your Deck to the top of your Deck.

Lugnut Decepticon Bomber

Level 4

Dark/Machine

ATK: 1700 def: 2100

If this card is sent to the Graveyard by the effect of a "Decepticon" card: You can send 1 "Decepticon" card from your Hand or Deck to the Graveyard. Once per turn: You can discard 1 "Decepticon" monster and destroy 1 Spell/Trap card on the field.

Decepticons Transform And Rise Up!

Quickplay Spell

Send 2 "Decepticon" monsters from your Deck to the Graveyard and Special Summon 1 "Decepticon" monster frm your Deck. Your opponent must discard 1 card to activate a card or effect in response to this card's activation.

Noticed some things that could potentially break the cards: 

This bothersome effect of Megatron has no restriction: 

If this card is sent to the Graveyard: Add 1"Decepticon" card in your Graveyard to Hand.

meaning it cannot miss the timing, it's unconditional (works when sent from field AND hand AND Deck) and it FORCES you to bounce a Decepticon card, meaning if it there are no other valid targets - it will never stay in the grave for you to revive it. Also, it can be abused with discarding costs (since you can simply return itself to your hand once the other card resolves). 

Another thing, those destructions effects aren't that revolutionary at this point, they are bit reminiscent of LightswordAtlanteansSomethings,. And again, you have no say if your want to destroy something or not, they just do it regardless, try implenting "you can" into some effects. You're blurring the lines to where the cost ends and the effect begins in most of these...

Noticed some things that could potentially break the cards: 

This bothersome effect of Megatron has no restriction: 

If this card is sent to the Graveyard: Add 1"Decepticon" card in your Graveyard to Hand.

meaning it cannot miss the timing, it's unconditional (works when sent from field AND hand AND Deck) and it FORCES you to bounce a Decepticon card, meaning if it there are no other valid targets - it will never stay in the grave for you to revive it. Also, it can be abused with discarding costs (since you can simply return itself to your hand once the other card resolves). 

Another thing, those destructions effects aren't that revolutionary at this point, they are bit reminiscent of LightswordAtlanteansSomethings,. And again, you have no say if your want to destroy something or not, they just do it regardless, try implenting "you can" into some effects. You're blurring the lines to where the cost ends and the effect begins in most of these...

Well, I couldn't really think of anything that a graveyard-based deck could do other than what every other graveyard deck does. I also wanted them to work like Dark World, where they don't get their effects if sent to the grave as a cost.

As per fan-fiction needs, i'm making a full Spell deck (similar to how the Superheavy Samurai operate).
While i have Quick-Play spells which can substitute for most traps, i'm struggling w. the monster substitutes. they are really tricky to fit into the proper card grammar. If anyone can tip me once again if this sounds OK and how i can improve it:

Spell Monster Type 1 [not actual name]

Normal Spell Card

Special Summon this card as an Effect Monster (Rock-Type/ Tuner/LIGHT/Level 3/ ATK/1000 / DEF/1000) with this effect:

"(Monster effect goes here)".

(This card's Summon is treated as Normal Summon and counts towards your Normal Summon/Set limit per turn.)

Spell Monster Type 2 [not actual name]

Normal Spell Card

Tribute 1 "ArchetypeName" monster you control and Special Summon this card as an Effect Monster: (Rock-Type/ LIGHT /Level 6/ ATK/2000 / DEF/2000) with this effect:

"(Monster effect goes here")

(This card's Summon is treated as Tribute Summon and counts towards your Normal Summon/Set limit per turn.)

Does it sound plausable enough? CnC welcome as always. 

Gust Vine Heaven
Spell/Field
Your opponent cannot banish cards you have, when a "Gust Vine" monster is sent to Graveyard by card effect: Place 1 "Spike" counter on each face-up monster your opponent controls, monsters with "Spike" counters lose 500 ATK and DEF.
Each time you Fusion Summon a "Gust Vine" Fusion Monster, you can  use 1 appropriate face-up monster your opponent controls that has a "Spike" counter placed on  as 1 of the Fusion Materials.

Cards in your hand, Deck, Graveyard or your side of the field cannot be banished by your opponent's card effects. Each time a "Gust Vine" monster(s) is sent to the Graveyard by a card's effect; Place 1 "Spike Counter" on each face-up monster your opponent controls. Monsters with a "Spike Counter"(s) on them lose 500 ATK and DEF*. When*you would Fusion Summon a "Gust Vine" Fusion Monster, you can use 1 appropriate monster your opponent controls with "Spike Counter"(s) on it as one of the Fusion Materials. 

* - you could add a "for each "Spike Counter" on it", but then it becomes a 2nd Venom Swamp. had no idea what your originally intended to do with those counters anyway. 

** - this effect could use a limitation, like "Once per turn, when...", since it's pretty strong as it is now. 

Changed the timing for the last effect, since the way you wrote it, it will activate when the fusion summon is already done.

Good luck 

Cards in your hand, Deck, Graveyard or your side of the field cannot be banished by your opponent's card effects. Each time a "Gust Vine" monster(s) is sent to the Graveyard by a card's effect; Place 1 "Spike Counter" on each face-up monster your opponent controls. Monsters with a "Spike Counter"(s) on them lose 500 ATK and DEF. When you would Fusion Summon a "Gust Vine" Fusion Monster, you can use 1 appropriate monster your opponent controls with "Spike Counter"(s) on it as one of the Fusion Materials, You can use this effect of "Gust Vine Heaven" only once per turn.

1/Thanks

2/There are cards in GV that rely on the power of Spike "Counter", well , only one.This card

I'm think we've already went through most of the logical vehicles in 'roids.

Don't think we have a 'roid based on a train though.

There are 2, Steamroid and Expressroid. Although there isn't one based off a diesel engine, so I could do that. I was thinking, how about a bulldozer? Or maybe an old traction engine?

Archived