+ Casual Review Thread +

Flash Flyer - Sakura

(Originally drafted as an RC concept)

As many of you have noticed, this section gets very little activity as of late, due to a lingering stigma that Pop Culture cards are little better than Joke Cards at times (even with the reforms done to try eliminating it).

As a result, many of us are left without any sort of comments on our sets, which hurts the section's activity, and doesn't help aspiring members to improve their craft.

But let's see if we can change that, shall we?

----------

Here's how this thread works. 

• You post a link to your set and ask for a review. One of the members here will look at it + CnC it properly.
  • For reviewing a member's thread, those who have followed the section rules while CnCing (followed the Advanced Clause) will receive some form of an award; possibly a like and some point prizes.
  • Members who review several threads may be eligible for more significant rewards; more on this later as things get developed.

With that said, some basic rules for using this thread.

1. You may only ask for a review of 1 thread at a time. Once a member has properly reviewed the set, you can ask for another one to be CnCed.
    1. Make sure your thread is recent (meaning that it hasn't broken the necrobumping rule yet)
  2. As stated, you must link your review post here in a new reply. One of the Custom Cards moderators will look it over and see that you've done it properly. Do not just say that you reviewed (X)'s thread; actually link to it.
  3. If a member does review your cards, please be considerate and rep them for their time. Keep in mind that they're doing this because they want to; not because they're forced to. If they have their own set, please try to review theirs in turn.
  4. Anything not within Joke & OPed Cards is fair game to be reviewed. This includes both the Casual Singles & Multiples area, as well as Experimental Cards.

The purpose of this thread is to encourage more of you to post in this section; both as a cardmaker and a reviewer.

Unlike in the past, there are no blatantly OPed cards of Goku or some other overused character in this section; as of 7/12, the quality here is more or less comparable to that of RC.

--------

As it stands right now, it's a prototype project and still needs to be worked out a bit; however, it is a step in trying to promote activity in this section.

If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to mention them.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really don't get why this section is so unpopular.  for me, pop culture cards are what card creator is all about.  I've made 300+ cards and I don't think a single one is yugioh themed. 

Well Here's mine.  Star Wars/Expanded Universe(legends...grr)

http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/326346-star-wars-rebel-alliancenew-republic-navy/

I believe it's due to an old stigma spanning from my earlier days on YCM (and possibly further).

Probably in essence, members made horribly broken cards based on Goku or some other overhyped character; quite similar to what we set the Joke Card forum aside for.

As a result, people never expected much of it.

Hell, even one of the former CC mods admits that he moved this section to Experimental (or what JoC is) because of it, but moved it back because it proved unpopular.

There are members in here who actually design decent stuff in this section (in some cases, with RC logic in mind); but because of the stigma, they don't get any.

That's what this thread is supposed to eliminate; the thought that PC cards are nothing more than rehashed jokes.

The cardmaker is for members to design stuff based on other series characters to an extent, yes, but also the Realistic section, which I've referenced quite a bit here.

Or put bluntly, cards that do well in the metagame & I know there are a few members who don't give a damn about it.

It's quite complicated, though (and there are efforts to try and get this place more recognition).

• 1 month later...

The Seventh Samurai's Archetype is a very interesting "Star Wars"-based archetype.  I reviewed it on their topic, but below is my review (though it's recommended to looking at the page itself @ http://forum.yugiohc...-republic-navy/

[spoiler=7th Samurai Review]Hmm! I definitely like what you have going on here. Most corrections I have are based on grammar/spelling, but I want to initially say that the mechanics of plussing off of every normal summon isn't exactly healthy. Also, some of the "on summon" effects need to be nerfed or given a "Once/Twice per turn" clause because of the ability to do drastic damage to the opponent (ie. Y-wing, E-wing). Finally, I just want to say that maybe you should add a clause into the "-Wing" monsters so that they can summon 1 OTHER "-Wing" when returned to the hand. This way you would not have to change up Y or E-wing ones.

1. You should change the card from saying "character" to "monster".

2. E-Wing is a Union? I assume you meant to change it to Effect since it's numbered right after XJ-Wing which is a Union. If it IS supposed to be a Union, what are its Union effects?

3. You may want to change A-Wing to an "on summon" effect.

4. You may want to re-post the traps as their symbols are missing

5. You misspelled "loses" on The Redemption

6. (Question) What is "Restricted" on the Star Forge?

In any case, these cards gave some real potential. They remind me of another star-based archetype, even!

I'm also open for critique on my "Death Note" card @ http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/327982-death-note-card/

• 2 weeks later...

Just keep in mind that as Konami releases new stuff; older designed cards might be seen as OPed and whatnot.

As for incentives, we're looking into stuff (think a few of them were implemented), but keep in mind that any discussions are slow; considering Nai has a job and Zex/myself are both college students.

• 2 weeks later...

It's been almost 2 weeks from then, but here's a review I had made:
[spoiler=link ]http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/327216-blackwing-dreius-the-first-quarter/

[spoiler=the review: ]
"Blackwing - Dreius the First Quarter" is a very good addition to the Black Feathers' family. Its dark appearance due to its presence in space matches the theme and name of the card, however Blackwings are usually more earthly-like creatures. In addition, without underrating the monster's attitude, it would look more realistic if there were some signs of movement (for example, the one foot leaning forward and the hands making an angle to the front).

Refering to its effects: Special Summoning included (a usual plus to Blackwings). Changing its Level (really helpful for necessary Synchro, or possibly Xyz, Summoning). Protecting a Blackwing from destruction (a decent protection for the archetype, leaving some room for different type of Spell/Trap cards' uses). There seem to be one OCG error in the sentense below though: 
<Once per turn during either player's turn, target 1 "Blackwing" monster you control>
It is not specified when you can target 1 "Blackwing" monster (e.g. when a Spell Card activates/during the Main Phase etc.), also it doesn't let you choose when to target. 
It should be written like this: <...either player's turn, you can target 1 "Blackwing" monster ...>
Alternatively, you can say what can trigger this effect, e.g. <...either player's turn, when an effect is activated that would destroy a card(s), target 1 "Blackwing" monster ...>
Another point I noticed is the <(min. 1)> on the card's effect. Although it is not wrong in meaning or syntax, it is pointless to mention (because the least amount of Level you can decrease is obviously 1). Instead of this, you can omit it or say another restriction, like (max. 2) or (min. 2).

Overall, a well-designed card with some well-made effects that could make a difference to the game. With a few tweaks here and there, it can easily become an excellent card.

I wasn't aware of necrobumping back then, so I don't know if it affects my position. Either way, I'm okay with any decision.

This is a set I made based on the lyrics of a song.  Since someone already guessed the song, I would like some CnC on the cards themselves.  Thanks in advance!

http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/329774-song-lyric-set-1-written/

Your request is applied. Hopefully there'll be some nice results from your set.

[spoiler=Review post: ]

I'll try to review each card separately:

"Another Turning Point"

Although this Counter-Trap Card is limited to what cards it can be chained at, it is stronger than "Counter Counter", negating any kind of card. If it negates a card that would negate a specific kind of card of effect, then the card becomes more balanced. If not, maybe consider making it similar to "Wiretap"...? Or, you can include an interesting cost, e.g. to shuffle a card on your field into your Deck or to shuffle a random card from your hand into your Deck. 

--------------------

"A Fork Stuck in the Road"

This card seems to have a fair effect. It's of no harm, though, if used in decks that do not depend on SS, like Monarch-styled ones. However, such decks are low in number and not that fast.

Everything looks fine so far, but what happens if it's the opponent who cannot SS during their turn? The turn player will be freer on their plays, thus gaining a turn's advantage and possibly preventing the opponent from making any considerable move, mostly like skipping an entire turn.

Concluding, there has to be a stricter limitation to the card's controller in order to balance the latter situation. This can be a limitation to the activation of effects or cards, or an added limitation to the kinds of Summoning the player can make. In addition, if you intend to keep it a mandatory effect, make it activate during your Standby Phase or at the start of your Main Phase 1 to prevent any possible automatic SS. However, "Flame Tiger", "Tachyon Chaos Hole" and maybe other cards would be a problem, so the mandatory factor may most possibly not exist.

--------------------

"Directions from the Timelord"

Well, this card needs to be seen carefully... First of all, the best case scenario: You mill the top card of your Deck, your Graveyard is not messed up, you know if the card you milled will benefit you or not. A very unbalanced perspective of the card, contrary to cards like "Big Eye" and "Spellbook Organization", which pre-order your cards, hoping everything goes according to plan. "Destiny Hero - Diamond Dude" can benefit you as well, but basically, no card is sent to your Grayard, so it's a more balanced card.

Secondly, the worst case scenario: You mill a card, your Graveyard is messed up, you just draw for your Normal Draw. Either the top card in your Graveyard does not benefit you, or it is more useful in your Graveyard. Again, too beneficial. So, you may not even consider this 'the worst'.

Almost any deck would benefit from this card. There should be an unusual cost or drawback to it in order to be fair, otherwise it is very unbalanced.

---------------------

"Still-frames of The Mind"

Ok, this card has to be a trollish one. Banishing a monster just to replace it with a non-Effect Clone Token with 0 ATK/DEF points? Your monster been banished, activate "Dark Hole" or "Torrential Tribute" and Summon the banished monster back. An opponent's monster been banished, it becomes useless unless Special Summoned back if the Token gets destroyed. And what if you use CED or "Vulcan the Divine" on it? Piercers would also laugh at this card. And above all, this card does not target?

Only with an empty field and hand would this card be fair, but even if that's the case, how would a simple monster-removal card benefit?

----------------------

"Toast to Good Health and Good Times!"

Offering a handshake, not a bad idea. Only "Yu-Jo Friendship" uses that mechanism, so it would be nice having one more card that works this way...

Referring to its effect, the only times someone may use it would be: When they want to trick the opponent into denying the handshake (making it your winning turn) or when they can't afford to take the damage so you'd just benefit. And what about the Burn Decks? "Nurse Reficule the Fallen One", "Bad Reaction to Simochi" and so on. Deadly combos that make this card rather unbalanced.

About the title: "A Tricky Deal" or "Mutual Fate", the best I could come up with.

-----------------------

"Trial of Dead Skin"

A pretty balanced monster, I must say. Mid to low ATK points, effect dedicated to battle and the destroyed monster doesn't go to the Graveyard. It prevent specific effects from activating and gains some ATK points after a successful battle. On top of that, a maintenance cost, which though might be a bit high. After 2 monsters have been attached to this monster, the payment gets out of control (if it manages to destroy any monster at first place with such a mediocre ATK). Most of the times, it would need some ATK boost so that it can battle the many stronger than it monsters with ease, which boost would raise the cost a lot.

Generally, lowering the ATK gained by the equipped monsters (or the cost, if possible) would not be a problem.

----------------------

"Something Unpredictable..."

Let's see each effect separately, according to the roll result:

6: Gain Life Points, then a better "Mirror Force"? No defence left, either? No way.

5: "Negate Attack" with the LP bonus. It's a matter of luck, so it's ok.

4: A good effect. Contrary to "Changing Destiny", there's only the LP gain without the battle position's change, but it's still balanced.

3: Luck was not on your side. More damage for now. Oh wait, a Discard effect? You forgot to drop "Necro Gardna" earlier?

2: Would there be any possibility that you'd turn the tables if your only hope was this Trap Card? Better change this effect instead.

1: Too few cards in your hand, so not a big deal... But still, double damage. Ok, seriously?

To sum up: Many benefits, many drawbacks. Either way, a very risky card that noone would like to use. And a Counter Trap too? It's best to loosen all its effects, else change its overall prospect.

--------------------

"Time of your life"

So, what this card actually says is: "Make your setup, activate me and laugh as the opponent will most definitely sit back quietly, while you trigger your effects." I would like to imagine this card been used as a stall-for-time case, but cannot help it but re-think of the idea. 

If I should describe the whole set with one word, that would be: Weird. I understand they're Experimental Cards, but I couldn't help being strict at many of the cards-hopefully for the best. Anyways, may it end well.

• 2 weeks later...

Just as a sidenote guys, the points thing that's listed in Announcements is more/less active.

If you want to redeem them for points, you have 2 options:

• PM me the reviews in bulk (just copy + paste whatever you said) and I'll look them over.
  • Post in here, saying that you reviewed a member's stuff; and we'll look over it there. (You should indicate which member you reviewed)

Do whichever is easiest for you.

In order for the reviews to value, there must have been a request prior to them? If not, is it really okay to just inform whenever we review stuff? I believe not, because someone greedy might spam the thread.

...And, what do you mean by posting in here? Isn't what we've done so far just this?

If you fill requests from this thread, you can basically submit them for points like you would for anything else you chose to do.

In any case, if you think you made proper CnC on stuff; then PM me and I'll decide if you deserve the points or not.

Remember, I'll only accept 5 per month; so choose wisely and make sure that it's up to par. (If people are getting greedy, then I'll not consider any of their submissions for the month)

--

For non-point things, then go ahead and use this thread (basically to tell the user in question that you spent some time to look at it)

• 1 month later...

Archived