Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works

Brave shine's album is out by the way. Full version of the song sounds more or less like pretty much every other full version of an animu song. It's okay but not amazin'. Listening to the other song right now, called 'Ophelia'. It's alright too. Just alright.

new episode aired but livestream lagged too hard for me tonight. ;_; I'll wait for commie I guess.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brave shine's album is out by the way. Full version of the song sounds more or less like pretty much every other full version of an animu song. It's okay but not amazin'. Listening to the other song right now, called 'Ophelia'. It's alright too. Just alright.

Was Last Stardust on it? I can't find the illegal downloa- I mean the song anywhere.

Also now that I caught up again, more comments.

[spoiler=Episode 18-20(I think this is right)]

Wow Lancer is really okay with working with them. I wonder if he's got an ulterior motive for going after Archer and not trying to get them all to team up against Gil? (just kidding I know he's secretly with Kirei)

Jeez they really got the subtly thing down with the whole "Acher is Shirou" stuff. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlrUKF4095Q

Kinda happy that they're looping events in UBW back to things that happened in F/Z. I know they're supposed to, but it's still nice to see.

Oh look, Kirei died. Like a bitch... Suuuuuuuuurrrreeeeeeeeeeeee....

No but seriously. Remember at the end of F/Z when he died only to be brought back mere seconds later? I know, different situation and all, but I still find it hard to believe that's the end of Kirei.

Huh, Lancer actually made me like him more than just meh... That was unexpected.... I still like Diarmuid more though >^>

"Just because you're correct doesn't mean you're right."
Actually Shiro that's exactly what it means. You'd know this if your 5th grade class wasn't.... blown up........
But no really. It made some sense in context, but what the hell? You could have said that literally thousands of different ways and made it sound like you're not an illiterate moron and make it sound cooler.

So the DEEN UBW fight might have had more action but hell no it was not directed better. You're kidding yourself if you think it was ._.[/spoiler]

finally listened to the album. Brave Shine full is just what you'd expect it to be, for better or worse.

Also, slightly off topic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMu7YeuZEuU

Fate/Grand Order gets an actual Archer.

EDIT: http://i.imgur.com/Y1Vt2FN.jpg

End Card for this episode apparently. Good job Shinji, you got the Grail!

Hmm, Answer could've been a bit more dramatic and Emiya could've played on for longer, but otherwise, it was epic~ Seeing into Archer's thoughts was interesting, and while Saber's own dilemma feels a little late at this point, it's still wonderful - in particular, the homage to FE was unexpected. Ah, but more importantly, Archer died. Baaaaiiii baaaaaiiiii~

So Gil-kun finally reveals stuff about both himself and Saber, as well as the details of how the previous Holy Grail War ended, before leaving due to lol!ashes. The fire could've been a bit more expansive IMO. It's nice to see that he shows the faintest hint of compassion for the loss of his yuetsu partner, and I wonder if that motivated him just a bit to do this:
mVsJsTW.png

Oh Shinji you're so hopeless.

Kinda happy that they're looping events in UBW back to things that happened in F/Z. I know they're supposed to, but it's still nice to see.

Nope, not really. To clarify, that reveal occurred in the UBW VN too, and the actual event in F/Z was based off it, along with the many other details of the 4th HGW~ The vast majority of things from F/Z actually comes from things described in F/SN, you see.

"Just because you're correct doesn't mean you're right."
Actually Shiro that's exactly what it means. You'd know this if your 5th grade class wasn't.... blown up........
But no really. It made some sense in context, but what the hell? You could have said that literally thousands of different ways and made it sound like you're not an illiterate moron and make it sound cooler.

You um, do realize that you're reading a bad English translation and not the actual sentence itself, right? I mean, of course, it's totally hilarious, but every time someone takes this as face value as an excuse to criticize him, as opposed to an actual flaw in the anime or his character, it's pretty annoying.

It's a lot cooler when you understand what it really means. The sentence itself is referring to "logically correct" and "morally right". If it was a literal translation, then it'd be "you may be correct, but your correctness is only one of many". The sentence itself means that even if Archer is correct in his systematic way of thinking, it is not necessarily the right path. The path. Get it now~

Fate/Grand Order gets an actual Archer.

Judging by the Indian look, dual quivers, magic bow, and description, it seems like it's gonna be Arjuna, the "Greatest Warrior", half-brother and rival of Karna (whose ass he beat, multiple times).

Glad someone else gets it. It's not nearly the same as something like, "People die when they are killed."

EDIT: I've been thinking about this, and after this past episode I've decided I prefer seeing F/Z first, at least with this route. In my opinion there are too many things that lack significance if you have no knowledge of the events of F/Z. Meanwhile there are certain things F/Z spoils about F/SN [spoiler=spoiler]such as Sakura and Rin being sisters[/spoiler] that so far have had little impact. Though maybe I'll feel differently about HF once ufotable makes the movie, but as of right now I think F/Z -> UBW is better than vice versa.

Like, when Gilgamesh first shows up, after seeing F/Z I was like, "Oh shit, it's Gilgamesh!" not, "Who's this blonde dude?" And when Kirei revealed killing Rin's dad, I feel like if I hadn't seen F/Z, my thoughts would be something along the lines of, "Wait, Rin's dad was important?" And then there's all this talk about the previous Greil War this past episode.

Nope, not really. To clarify, that reveal occurred in the UBW VN too, and the actual event in F/Z was based off it, along with the many other details of the 4th HGW~ The vast majority of things from F/Z actually comes from things described in F/SN, you see.

Yes. Clearly this is true since it's a prequel after all o.o" I meant they've been using like the same scenes that they just pulled from F/Z in some cases. Namely the scene with Kirei and Rin's father. That's all.

You um, do realize that you're reading a bad English translation and not the actual sentence itself, right? I mean, of course, it's totally hilarious, but every time someone takes this as face value as an excuse to criticize him, as opposed to an actual flaw in the anime or his character, it's pretty annoying.

It's a lot cooler when you understand what it really means. The sentence itself is referring to "logically correct" and "morally right". If it was a literal translation, then it'd be "you may be correct, but your correctness is only one of many". The sentence itself means that even if Archer is correct in his systematic way of thinking, it is not necessarily the right path. The path. Get it now~

Edit: Oh, and one more thing. I've heard a lot of funny lines from F/SN, like "People die when they are killed", "The Archer class really is made up of archers", and "You dodged my undodgeable blow"...but those could all be explained in-context, and make a fair amount of sense when you read them...

But this?

112d2yv.png

COMPLETELY takes the cake =P

gj shirou, u defended ur title

Hmmmmmm..............

Judging by the Indian look, dual quivers, magic bow, and description, it seems like it's gonna be Arjuna, the "Greatest Warrior", half-brother and rival of Karna (whose ass he beat, multiple times).

outfit needs more gold and he needs a hugeass fancy crown in that case

I see more middle-eastern/northern africa/iberian motif with him tbh. But that's probably just me.

Man, I want to be hyped for Grand Order but it's a mobage qq.

Hmmmmmm..............

Dude, I have no idea what you're trying to imply. I think it sounds absolutely hilarious when put like that, especially since it's said by Shirou and is an obvious successor to 'People die when they are killed', but there's no way I would personally take things like that at face value, using it as an excuse to prick at Shirou's personality.

"Even if you're correct, that doesn't mean you're right" is a bad English sub, and could've been in a much better way that makes more sense in English. If it's translated like this, then it sounds a more bizarre, moreso than the ones we've heard thus far - that's what I meant. Languages are not 100% accurate analogues of each other, perfectly interchangeable, but merely approximates of one another, of which this was not a good one.

If you're going to reply, you can at least acknowledge what I said rather than doing something like that, you know =/

EDIT: I've been thinking about this, and after this past episode I've decided I prefer seeing F/Z first, at least with this route. In my opinion there are too many things that lack significance if you have no knowledge of the events of F/Z. Meanwhile there are certain things F/Z spoils about F/SN [spoiler]such as Sakura and Rin being sisters[/spoiler] that so far have had little impact. Though maybe I'll feel differently about HF once ufotable makes the movie, but as of right now I think F/Z -> UBW is better than vice versa.

Like, when Gilgamesh first shows up, after seeing F/Z I was like, "Oh s***, it's Gilgamesh!" not, "Who's this blonde dude?" And when Kirei revealed killing Rin's dad, I feel like if I hadn't seen F/Z, my thoughts would be something along the lines of, "Wait, Rin's dad was important?" And then there's all this talk about the previous Greil War this past episode.

Well, how should I put it...? You'll probably change your mind after watching Heaven's Feel.

UBW is the route in F/SN that is least spoiled by the prequel. However, that's not the case with HF (which F/Z derives a lot of its core material from). The thing is, various twists in Fate/stay night are casually spoiled in F/Z, treated as trivial things, so by the time the reveal comes in the actual show, people will be like 'oh that's all?'...and may not realize that they were twists at all.

Well, the main two points I want to say regarding why people should watch F/SN first, then F/Z, is:
1, the intro to F/SN UBW is more contact and exciting, whereas F/Z's intro is a long infodump, making it friendlier to newcomers
2, F/Z sets up the wrong expectations about what F/SN will be about, making it likelier for the latter to be hated.

F/Z displays the inner workings of a HGW and how professional Masters operate, which would make it much likelier for people to dislike the change to focusing on a single team, of teenagers at that in what appears to be a more shounen setting, once they move on to the 'sequel'. Moving from F/SN to F/Z, on the other hand, generates enough interest that they're probably willing to set through the first few episodes on their own, pay more attention to the plot, and find it a much more refreshing change, and nothing can replace the sense of dread that prevails all throughout the show, knowing about the tragic way it'll end.

Not to say watching Fate/Zero first doesn't have its own merits. Watching it first means that the end result is much murkier with an uncertain protagonist, enabling you to root for any one team to win. Then once it's all done, you get to see F/SN from a different perspective, and get to be able to connect the dots, figure out exactly what happened to the characters in the interval between the two, as well as witness how the ideals held by Emiya and Saber progress onwards.

Still, Fate/stay night is written as a mystery, introducing a vast setting with pieces that are gradually revealed as the plot goes on, spread throughout the three routes.

On the other hand, Fate/Zero is written as the tragedy preceding it, showing how the mystery was set up. If you ask me, I'd say it's worth experiencing the mystery prior to the tragedy.

For me, there are indeed benefits to watching the prequel first, and it's certainly lovely to see their views on how things have progressed from the 4th War. But, as I see it, watching how many of the secondaries have treated F/SN for the past two cours, it certainly skews some things in a bad direction.

Of course, this is all just my own opinion~

I liked the change to the explanation as to why Gil-kun used Ea, and it helps that it serves to function as foreshadowing in the future. That was pretty awesome, as was the swordspam he exchanged with Shirou. The rest of the episode was cool too...mostly.

However, the Saber vs Assassin was, well, seriously underwhelming. Seriously, Ufotable? This is the second-to-last battle, yet you can barely animate even a few blows? There was too much talking, and their swords only clashed, like...once onscreen. And there was no explanation as to how Saber was able to epically overcome Assassin's Tsubame Gaeshi. Sure, it was epic, but the battle itself was just far too disappointing for me, ugu.

xGrSxpn.png

goddammit archer

letting shirou do all the work

then showing up w/ headshot just for the EXP

WELP, I MUST SAY THAT THIS EPISODE WAS EPIC. I MEAN COME ON, THERE WAS A BUNCH OF VN REMIXES LIKE THEY WERE MAKING UP FOR THE LACK OF IT IN THE PAST TWO COURS (This Illusion, Sorrow, Into The Night, Sword of Promised Victory, Turning Season, Two Kings, Emiya... holy hell).

Loved the Shirou vs Gil battle, we totally got sword rain vs sword rain amidst UBW and all that~! And Excalibur too, which was absolutely lovely in many ways (though I feel like that should've been after the Shirou vs Gil fight, for more dramatic effect).

Oh, and of course,

1434813850418.jpg

WAITED FREAKING HALF A DECADE FOR THIS, AND IT WAS GLORIOUS

YEEESSSSHHHHH

ARCHER

ARCHER MARRY MEH PLZ

1434813850418.jpg

I want to protect that smile.

It was a pretty nice episode. Shirou's midair sword gymnasticz were a bit too flashy but it really helped make the battle feel epic. The best part was yes, the VN OST remixes. THIS ILLUSION piano ver was great. EMIYA was great. Turning Season was great, Gil kicking it is great.

Since it's practically over now, I decided to look back on this 3/4th year length, and say UBW adaption was overall not a waste of time.There were moments of  hype, moments of disappointment, and moments of just enjoying seeing it all again. Archer vs. Lancer episode and Archer vs. Emiya episode were my two favorite episodes and for that it was worth the time. And the new episode was pretty epic too. For now I look forward to the last episode sneaking in an HF trailer or something, and hope that the director of KnK6 and this won't be handling the movies.

alsoholyfuckingshittherhinoisstrongthisepisodewhy

That was an alright episode, but Archer coming in and saving everything was too deus ex machina for me. Plus, how the hell did he come back, didn't he fade away at Gil-kun's mansion? I suppose they could explain that next episode, but him coming in just felt cheap to me.

It was cheap, yeah, barely explained at all even in the VN. There's really only two explanations,

1. He somehow escaped instead of dying, and with very little mana left, simply hid from a distance waiting for the opportunity to steal EXP save Rin & Shirou. (In the VN he also projected Rho Aias to save Shirou from Gil-kun's Ea)

2. He was summoned again, but as a Counter Guardian, in order to monitor and interfere when needed.

Shirou's midair sword gymnasticz were a bit too flashy

Yeah, a lot of people are wondering about that, but I believe he simply used the explosions from Gil-kun's blades to his advantage, letting them throw him high into the air while keeping himself intact with Rho Aias (notice how it only had one or two petals?).

Gotta give credit to Gil on his determination though. Trying to use Shirou as a way to escape the black hole and dump the redhead there instead was pretty ballsy.

Also the first explanation would make more sense, and iirc it's what most people are going with. Without that much narrative thrown around, it did get even more blatantly coming out of nowhere.

Archived